• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain to me why Mono-Red ALWAYS gets the perfect starts? Everytime within the first 3 turns they have EVERYTHING they need.

Fervent Champs? Got it.

Embercleave? Got it.

Giant? Got it.

Shock/Dragonfire/Fire Prophecy? Got it.

Every time. All the time. I wish half my decks were that consistent on the draw.
Redundancy. Mono-Red Aggro does one thing and one thing only so you put in a bunch of cards that do that one thing or clear the way to doing that one thing. So you've almost always got the cards for it in the opening hand. And even better, your opponent gets skittish about playing cards into it.

That last bit is something a lot of players need to learn not to do. Unless you expect to have a way of preventing it, you have to just make them have it. Because either they have it, and now they have less of it. Or they don't.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
I want to get one of each of the new extended art Commander dual lands from Commander Legends. They are all $10-$12 on TCG Player.

Is now a good time to grab them or does anyone think they'll go down further?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I want to get one of each of the new extended art Commander dual lands from Commander Legends. They are all $10-$12 on TCG Player.

They will definitely continue to go down because the set is actively being opened and will continue to be for some time, putting more supply into the market. You can follow the price trends on MTGStocks. Here is Rejuvenating Springs for example. That said, at this point we are talking about a few dollars at most especially because they are extended art.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

I think most of the commander-only staple cards will hold value for quite a while after prizes have stabilized. Fierce Guardianship hasn't budged for months for example. As to when it will stabilize? Who knows? You could wait until after the holidays since I presume x amount of boxes will be opened by then.

Commander Legends is the last commander product of the year I believe. Next year will likely see the return of commander precons again which won't include high value dual lands. Double Masters was this year and the second last Masters set was two years ago. Battlebond was two years ago as well, which was the last multiplayer focused set before Commander Legends.

I just bought Mana Drain for €40 since I doubt it will show up in Time Spiral Remastered and obviously it won't show up in the next Modern Masters/Horizons. I guess they could announce a second Iconic Masters down the line.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
preordered non foil seb secret lair because why not, it costs less than a damnation

price is reasonable to me anyway, not gonna get the others

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
lmfao the people in arena who start roping you the second you take more than 5 seconds for a move and then start spamming zzz or other nonsense. It's rare these days, but someone mustve been having a bad day. Their time is so precious that they cant wait 5 seconds for a move, so they'll attempt to drag out a game they don't like for 30+ minutes being a baby. I actually love it knowing that some loser on the other end is raging at his computer while I go make a snack lol.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
lmfao the people in arena who start roping you the second you take more than 5 seconds for a move and then start spamming zzz or other nonsense. It's rare these days, but someone mustve been having a bad day. Their time is so precious that they cant wait 5 seconds for a move, so they'll attempt to drag out a game they don't like for 30+ minutes being a baby. I actually love it knowing that some loser on the other end is raging at his computer while I go make a snack lol.

The nature of the monetization brings this out in people. You're playing against people who probably don't want to be playing the game to begin with, but feel they have to in order to "keep up" with the rewards structure for the future. Basically they just want to get the rewards for playing ASAP and stop because they aren't actually enjoying the experience of playing.

This probably describes like 95% of all Mono-Red or other hardcore aggro players. They picked the deck in the first place to spend as little time in the client to get their dailies done as possible.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The nature of the monetization brings this out in people. You're playing against people who probably don't want to be playing the game to begin with, but feel they have to in order to "keep up" with the rewards structure for the future. Basically they just want to get the rewards for playing ASAP and stop because they aren't actually enjoying the experience of playing.

This probably describes like 95% of all Mono-Red or other hardcore aggro players. They picked the deck in the first place to spend as little time in the client to get their dailies done as possible.
Yeah, it was a temur ultimatum deck that didnt like that I had counters for their 'dump everything in my deck on the battlefield at once' card. I get the frustration, but damn dude, just quit if you're not having fun. I truly just walked away for long enough to make and eat a sandwich, and came back and dude was still going, moved over to the cry emote to keep himself entertained i guess, while declaring and undeclaring his attackers over and over to stall out time. If only there were an emote that said "chill dude, it'll all be okay".

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States

This post nails how I feel about my opponents and their motivations. I play Brawl just because occasionally there is some semblance of creativity.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can sympathise with players just grinding out rewards with fast decks so they can get the resources they need to build decks they want or play limited formats. That's the reason I did it.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
tbh i just play and buy sleeves/card styles on sale with gold in the hopes that eventually the formats i wanna play are more important and popular

i hardly ever spend wildcards and only buy packs with gold, and i dont do limited all that often because i get too tilted on arena to play it right most of the time. plus i really only wanna do non standard cubes

so mostly i just play cheap decks or decks based on opening a greater than usual number of the same rare. doing quests i just kind of rotate between mono black enchantments, UW fliers (has horrible mana issues right now), RG brash taunter and izzet prowess/spellslinger

so yeah if i get matched against do nothing control, or against a mill deck and they do turn 1 ruin crab and i am on the draw, or someone who just plays really slowly, i just concede basically instantly. i dont have any interest in playing long games where i feel like i probably wont win against people i cant even talk to. heck sometimes i concede if i even mull to 6. just want my gold

Last edited:

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I disagree.

I play Mono Red to get the four wins yes, but not because I 'don't want to play' the game or whatever. I do it because I just don't have the time to dump hours upon the game and sometimes I only have maybe 20 minutes, and Mono Red is the only arquetype that assures your game will end before that timeframe. It has nothing to do with dislike for the game.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This post nails how I feel about my opponents and their motivations. I play Brawl just because occasionally there is some semblance of creativity.
It really becomes a grind around this time between set releases. I'm trying everything I can to make fun silly decks, but just go up against the same 3 decks + RDW all the fucking time. It's always mono-green food, temur ramp, yorion doom. Like don't people get sick of just playing the same deck over and over? It's always the same opening turns over and over and over i could just play solitaire and guess what a fake opponent plays and have the same experience.
tbh i just play and buy sleeves/card styles on sale with gold in the hopes that eventually the formats i wanna play are more important and popular

i hardly ever spend wildcards and only buy packs with gold, and i dont do limited all that often because i get too tilted on arena to play it right most of the time. plus i really only wanna do non standard cubes

so mostly i just play cheap decks or decks based on opening a greater than usual number of the same rare. doing quests i just kind of rotate between mono black enchantments, UW fliers (has horrible mana issues right now), RG brash taunter and izzet prowess/spellslinger

so yeah if i get matched against do nothing control, or against a mill deck and they do turn 1 ruin crab and i am on the draw, or someone who just plays really slowly, i just concede basically instantly. i dont have any interest in playing long games where i feel like i probably wont win against people i cant even talk to. heck sometimes i concede if i even mull to 6. just want my gold
Hey if people concede because they're playing bo1 against a deck thats a bad/not fun match up, i got no qualms with that. bo1, especially play queue should be about having fun... now RDW being someone's idea of fun I may not agree with lol.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Like don't people get sick of just playing the same deck over and over?
They're probably NOT playing the same deck over and over. Most people will have more than one deck and cycle though them. Of course, one would be 'the main deck' at a given time, but I don't think anyone just plays the same deck over and over and over for three to four months.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I love magic. It's an on and off love but I can go back whenever and be happy. Arena lately has been ruining that for me. I don't know if it's that I only mainly play historic but I just find it boring and aggravating more than fun

2021-2022 Secret Lair news
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

magic.wizards.com

Announcing Secret Lair: Ultimate Edition 2

Secret Lair's WPN-exclusive Ultimate Edition series is back with Secret Lair: Ultimate Edition 2, available May 7!

Secret Lair Ultimate Edition 2 will feature all ten Pathway lands. Previewed here are the six Pathways from Zendikar Rising, but with art set in Kaldheim. The four lands to be printed in Kaldheim will be included too, but with art set in Zendikar.

unknown.png

Secret Lair Artist Series: Kaja and Phil Foglio coming in either late 2021 or more likely 2022

unknown.png

Artist Series: Johannes Voss coming in 2021

unknown.png

Secret Lair with art by comic artist Fiona Staples (known for Saga among other things); "Artist Series" label won't be used for artists that aren't already Magic artists

Preview for an unannounced Secret Lair for 2021; this art is by Jeff Soto

unknown.png

Split second preview

EoWU192XIAAunC9

And one other bit of info, Secret Lair: The Walking Dead was by far their best selling Secret Lair ever, with tons of customers that are new to Magic.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sigh, sad to see that Walking Dead drop will give them the wrong lesson most likely. Everything else lately has looked pretty cool.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's stupid becase OF COURSE it's the best selling one, it's the only one that you 'need' to get to play magic the fucking gathering with all the cards. Being mechanically unique and powerful is what made it sell the best, DESPITE the bullshit, which is obvious - it's WHY sets of cards sell, they're new and unique.

Oh it also sold well to people that don't play mtg? COOL THOSE PEOPLE DONT GIVE A SHIT IF THEY'RE MECHANICALLY UNIQUE OR NOT. Use the Godzilla tech.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Does anyone here play MTGO with a rental service like ManaTraders? I'm getting burnt out with arena and would like to be able to play Modern more often but MTGO seems kinda complicated to me. Anyone have any input?

Feb 16, 2018
Does anyone here play MTGO with a rental service like ManaTraders? I'm getting burnt out with arena and would like to be able to play Modern more often but MTGO seems kinda complicated to me. Anyone have any input?

try to guess how long you'll be interested in playing for and how often you switch decks

renting is simplest, but if you're going to pay monthly for multiple years idk how much you would actually save by the end

you can also own a few cards that you use a lot and then rent what you don't have. it's very complicated to figure out the best way to do this, but would let you play more powerful decks since the cheaper rental plans have a limit on what you can borrow (a lot of cards are crazy expensive)

renting also lets you worry less about bans. uro is $75. you could buy 4, but it would be a risk...

i didn't rent because the cost of buying what i wanted (basically everything in pioneer) was cheaper than 2 years of renting. but it did exclude me from playing modern if i ever wanted to do that

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
try to guess how long you'll be interested in playing for and how often you switch decks

renting is simplest, but if you're going to pay monthly for multiple years idk how much you would actually save by the end

you can also own a few cards that you use a lot and then rent what you don't have. it's very complicated to figure out the best way to do this, but would let you play more powerful decks since the cheaper rental plans have a limit on what you can borrow (a lot of cards are crazy expensive)

renting also lets you worry less about bans. uro is $75. you could buy 4, but it would be a risk...

i didn't rent because the cost of buying what i wanted (basically everything in pioneer) was cheaper than 2 years of renting. but it did exclude me from playing modern if i ever wanted to do that

I'd be renting either Jund or UW Control as those are the paper decks I own and want to practice. If I rented I'd probably say I'd be playing with them more than arena but probably an hour a two a day, if that.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's stupid becase OF COURSE it's the best selling one, it's the only one that you 'need' to get to play magic the fucking gathering with all the cards. Being mechanically unique and powerful is what made it sell the best, DESPITE the bullshit, which is obvious - it's WHY sets of cards sell, they're new and unique.

Oh it also sold well to people that don't play mtg? COOL THOSE PEOPLE DONT GIVE A SHIT IF THEY'RE MECHANICALLY UNIQUE OR NOT. Use the Godzilla tech.
Seriously. Godzilla fans bought the Godzilla cards from Ikoria. I bought Ikoria collector boosters just for the Godzilla cards (comic book art is cool too), and I haven't bought any collector boosters for other sets.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
fun fact every time on arena someone plays a land, for each ruin crab on the field i lose 4 seconds of my life i can never get back

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Sigh, sad to see that Walking Dead drop will give them the wrong lesson most likely. Everything else lately has looked pretty cool.

Yeah, the fact that they even bothered to mention this on stream is a really bad sign.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just a PSA. Mono-White Knight Control is a decent match-up against Rogues if you are looking for something a bit different. I have won 5 out of 6 against the usual rogue deck so far and the loss was only because I flooded out.

Kaldheim leaks
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Best guess:
Ranar the Ever-Watchful - 2WU
Legendary Creature — Spirit Warrior
Flying, vigilance.
The first card you foretell each turn costs 0 to foretell.
Whenever you exile one or more cards from your hand and/or permanents from the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying.
2/3

This comment, from a user that's apparently been accurate in the past, says this:
Foretell is like an extended echo. You pay 2 to foretell something & exile it face down (like an adventure). Can play it later for it's foretell cost (whenever you could normally play it). Cool cost-reducing mechanic.

So it's similar to a spell-morph.

image2.jpg

Best guess:
Lathril, Blade of the Elves - 2BG
Legendary Creature — Elf Noble
Menace
Whenever Lathril, Blade of the Elves deals combat damage to a player, create that many green 1/1 Elf Warrior creature tokens.
Tap, Tap ten untapped Elves you control: Each opponent loses 10 life and you gain 10 life.
2/3

magic.wizards.com

MTG Arena: State of the Game – December 2020 | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Changes to token creation, Arena Open details, and events to get you into the holiday spirit are all arriving later this week on MTG Arena.
khm_promo_Sleeve_sized.png

Promo Arena sleeve with Kaldheim theme

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
As a commander, that GB elf is gonna get insta-executed if the deck has any of the myriad ways to suddenly elf-ball out of control.

Lot of risk for voltron-style like it seems to want to be.

Cool idea tho, and at least you 'only' get 10 life out of it, rather than 10 for each opponent.

Magic Story regionally blocked stories
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

On Magic Story and Regionally Blocked Stories | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

We will tell the stories we want to tell, featuring the characters and relationships that best serve the story and our audience.

Wizards is going to start blocking Magic Story articles in certain regions if the stories break local laws, starting with Kaldheim. If you're wondering what that means for the story,

So the implication is that they were restricted in their depictions of LGBT+ people due to China, Russia, and/or other countries. This means we can probably look forward to gay and/or trans vikings.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the community talks up Brawl as this amazingly diverse format only for it to just become Phylath.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
/r/MagicArena, mostly. Although I suppose they're now onto wanting Historic Brawl permanently.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Bought the green commander collection today at a lgs. Chose to buy it at a different one than I usually do prereleases at since they were charging $100 for the non foil version. Picked it up for $50 instead which seems much more reasonable!

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the green commander collection today at a lgs. Chose to buy it at a different one than I usually do prereleases at since they were charging $100 for the non foil version. Picked it up for $50 instead which seems much more reasonable!

Yeah most places seem to be at $50, with a few super unreasonable stores charging $100. $100 is a ripoff.

Secret Lair Artist Series - Three more announcements
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.