• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Would you like to play a match?
I would love to actually. We should add each other on Arena. Sorry about the late response. I got off for the night by the time you sent that.

Edit: Honestly we should try to put together an Era Arena Discord if there isn't one already. That way everyone could chat and/or play each other if we feel like it. Ranked and non-ranked is fine, but it's fun to play a few one on ones with people you know.

Last edited:

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
So the new Standard Shakeup event has some extra banned cards:
  • Zenith Flare
  • Bonecrusher Giant
  • Embercleave
  • Soaring Thought Thief
  • Gilded Goose
  • Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
  • Brazen Borrower
  • Questing Beast
  • Felidar Retreat
  • Lotus Cobra
  • Scute Swarm
  • Winota, Joiner of Forces

I guess they're testing the waters to ban more cards. I doubt all of these will be gone after the next batch of bans (if there's one).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So the new Standard Shakeup event has some extra banned cards:
  • Zenith Flare
  • Bonecrusher Giant
  • Embercleave
  • Soaring Thought Thief
  • Gilded Goose
  • Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
  • Brazen Borrower
  • Questing Beast
  • Felidar Retreat
  • Lotus Cobra
  • Scute Swarm
  • Winota, Joiner of Forces

I guess they're testing the waters to ban more cards. I doubt all of these will be gone after the next batch of bans (if there's one).
If they banned Scute and Embercleave I would happiest magic player on the face of the earth. None of the others on that list are anywhere near as oppressive in my opinion.

Also Goose? Why? lol

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Scute is also getting a 250 token cap.

I guess they really couldn't make mobile work without it breaking some iPhones, huh?

Also Goose? Why? lol
Events like this lets them know how Standard would be with a few tweaks. Goose allows Green powered decks to skip T2 and go straight to 3 CMC threats which could potentially break some slower decks.

Edit: I just undusted the good old Mono Black Lurrus Aura deck, got instant results.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Scute is also getting a 250 token cap.

I guess they really couldn't make mobile work without it breaking some iPhones, huh?

Events like this lets them know how Standard would be with a few tweaks. Goose allows Green powered decks to skip T2 and go straight to 3 CMC threats which could potentially break some slower decks.

Ah I see.

Edit: I just undusted the good old Mono Black Lurrus Aura deck, got instant results.
Heck yeah. I have a Mono Black Lurrus Enchant deck of my own that I run that is nasty. I run 4 Lurrus though instead of using him as a companion. He is more of a piece of the puzzle rather than the main attraction. Love that deck.

hypertails

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else been jamming the arena cube?

I think this is the most fun I've had since arclight phoenix was a thing in standard, and I've really enjoyed the last few limited formats.

Almost makes me want to give mtgo a go to try out vintage cube.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else been jamming the arena cube?

I think this is the most fun I've had since arclight phoenix was a thing in standard, and I've really enjoyed the last few limited formats.

Almost makes me want to give mtgo a go to try out vintage cube.
I'm not. I'm grinding my face off with my Doom deck trying to get as high as I can before the season ends.

hypertails

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not. I'm grinding my face off with my Doom deck trying to get as high as I can before the season ends.
I've barely touched constructed since they added human drafts to arena, I got so sick of playing against sultai stuffs when oko was a thing.

I end up completing sets through draft rewards and have a bazillion wildcards so I don't really feel a need to grind out the ranked ladders, I'm a limited player at heart anyway.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've barely touched constructed since they added human drafts to arena, I got so sick of playing against sultai stuffs when oko was a thing.

I end up completing sets through draft rewards and have a bazillion wildcards so I don't really feel a need to grind out the ranked ladders, I'm a limited player at heart anyway.
I like the challenge. It's fun to try my own takes on various meta decks or see if I can make my own decks that counter the meta.

Kaldheim has me hyped as crap though. I cannot wait for the new angel stuff.

hypertails

Oct 25, 2017
I like the challenge. It's fun to try my own takes on various meta decks or see if I can make my own decks that counter the meta.

Kaldheim has me hyped as crap though. I cannot wait for the new angel stuff.
Oh I totally get it, I hit mythic a bunch of times during GRN to WAR standard playing primarily Izzet Phoenix, and I think I had more fun as the deck dropped down the tier lists and I had to figure out the 75 and learn new play patterns by myself.

My homebrew version of the deck during WAR standard is the only deck I own in paper, and I'm still proud of the fact that I managed to spike a couple of FNMs at my LGS with it.

I'll probably dip back into constructed if they release a few mediocre sets for limited, though play design has done a much better job with limited set design than constructed so I'm not sure if that'll be anytime soon.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. I have wanted them to go back to that planefor ages.
Maybe give Glissa her spark back so she can finally ascend and free her from the oil?

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Oh SHIT @ the spoiler(s).

I'm psyched, and super curious on what the updated
Elesh Norn and Sheoldred do

Considering getting a collector box now >_>

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
are you just assuming its a cycle or is there more confirmation?

I'm assuming, but with Bolas and the Eldrazi both 'gone' (for the moment), who else is left as the villain(s) for the overarching story?

Likely there won't be more than one, maybe two in this set (maybe more if they start throwing multi-color ones in there), but I could see a couple more being sprinkled in the harry potter or D&D sets as we work our way into the new big storyline.

Additionally, IIRC there have also been vague hints/rumors of
Return to new phyrexia for a while now - even if that's just part of the 'assumed' blocks given having gone back to both ravnica and innistrad recently

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The green one that is making the rounds is genuinely frightening. That thing looks like the craziest card so far in my opinion.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I would play it if I was in green, and if the speed of the format is slow enough that it's not a dead card most of the time. It'll probably suck, though.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with that green card is that it has Haste.

What will the red equivalent have then? Super duper haste?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Double strike + Haste would be good and red.

But remember

isn't Urabrask, the red praetor, not exactly on the same page as the others praetors? I wonder if they'll have different mechanics somehow due to this

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
IIRC the Praetors kinda hate each other, I could see this as some sort of 'All the baddies split up to make their own Newer Phyrexia' deal.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
IIRC the Praetors kinda hate each other, I could see this as some sort of 'All the baddies split up to make their own Newer Phyrexia' deal.
I don't think they hate each other, they just all have different visions of what they think Phyrexia should be. They all got together to create Atraxa, except urabrask who declined the invitation.

Kaldheim - Toski, Bearer of Secrets
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
image1.png
image0.jpg

The legendary squirrel is here!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why does it have "can't be countered"

Why does every Green card need to play the game by itself.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
At least it doesn't have flying

You know green can do everything when a squirrel can literally block emrakul and survive

Status
Not open for further replies.