DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Cant relate

Switch has been nonstop awesome and had been consistently dragging me away from my Ps4 and Destiny 2 progress lmao

I think its biggest strength is ease and abundant access to all the great games i missed out on lately on top of the great Nintendo exclusives

Currently playing Hollow Knight and Octopath after completing my Resident evil marathon in excited for RE2 Remake.

And I still have a deep well of games I wish listed on the eshop that I want to play

Switch is just so versatile for gaming and I absolutely adore it for that just like the Vita was for me before that

Its a huge upgrade in convenience and accesibility and options over what 3DS and WiiU offered and Im grateful they took this route

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost in the identical boat OP. Loved the Wii U and had/have tons of games for it. For the Switch I own Super Mario Odyssey and BotW (which I owned on Wii U). Nothing else has really caught my eye, and the things that I would have purchased I own already on Wii U. I didn't anticipate so so many ports. Next game I will be purchasing for the Switch is Smash.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
OP you can't be wrong if you like or don't like something.

That said you were absolutely wrong for not getting an SNES.

For me it definitely does not compare to last year but I have still had plenty of fun with the console and Octopath for an old school JRPG guy like me is one of my favorite games in years.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I bought two games for the Switch this year, the longest 5 minutes and Octopath Traveler. Both are kinda underwhelming for me.

I have no interest in Smash, so that's probably it for me.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
My primary platform is PC laptop gaming, so the revolution of gaming un-tethered from the TV is not really novel to me.

That's significantly dampened my enthusiasm for Switch, though I still respect what it's doing and am happy for all the fans.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm with you OP, had one since Launch. The only games I've played on it are Zelda, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, Odyssey, SnipperClips and Donkey Kong. Haven't even turned it on in months. It'a basically just a TV console for me thougg, as I find it incredibly uncomfortable to hold, and the screen is shitty.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Think of the Switch as a port and indie box, not a AAA machine. Unfortunately there just isn't a lot of new non-indie games, but the indies are amazing.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No. It's just a product. A couple really great exclusives last year and a bunch of ports and indie games this year. Not that indie games aren't good, but they're available elsewhere. Online hasn't come into its own. The Switch will be more attractive later this year, for sure.

If you're broken for any reason, it may be due to how unduly shrill you are. That topic title is a nightmare.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a switch solely to play Zelda/Pokemon and I wish I could play them on my PS4Pro (I'd pay 150$ for a PS4Pro version). You're not alone, but Nintendo fans are over-represented and very vocal so you'll get the feeling you're an outlier, but you're not. I'm just glad I don't have to buy a Square console to play their game, and a Rockstar console to play their game, etc.
this system is just wildy popular. Like someone said earlier it's the most Un-Nintendo system they've released.

I think people forget that the system is 18 months old and want to line it up with consoles that are going on 5 years old. I do understand that it's going to be compared because it's the current competition, I do think people forget what 2014 looked like for PS4 and XBO. There is a ridiculous amount of software available for the system, both physical and digital in only 18 months of being on the market. They have published 10 non-port exclusives, 1 3rd party exclusive (2 if you count ultra street fighter), 6 wii u ports, and a 3DS HD port (MHGU). To add to this, they have 4 more exclusives to release this year, 3 being new and one being a port/remaster.

It's fair to be disappointed in what has been released, but It's far from "lacking". To people who are new to Nintendo consoles, they will have 23 exclusive titles to choose from 21 months into it's release.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Made by whom? I can make one for you if you want, but you would have to trust my judgement and that we have similar enough tastes.

I would say that Metacritic already has a masterlist if you aren't looking for really specific types of games or hidden gems that didn't get enough reviews to register. It isn't flawless, but it wouldn't be far off from lists that you would get on Resetera: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/switch/filtered?sort=desc&page=1

Basically all games with a rating of 80 and upwards are good and easy recommendations. The same goes for many games in the 70-80 range.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
It's my go-to console for JRPG's now it seems. Having JRPG's on the go appeals to me a lot.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
No. It's just a product. A couple really great exclusives last year and a bunch of ports and indie games this year. Not that indie games aren't good, but they're available elsewhere. Online hasn't come into its own. The Switch will be more attractive later this year, for sure.

If you're broken for any reason, it may be due to how unduly shrill you are. That topic title is a nightmare.
This. Jeesh. You don't enjoy a video game console as much as others. What kind of ridiculous fan guilt are you playing into here?

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah you're good. I'm not either to be honest. I got one at launch with BotW, and I was stoked about the idea of a Virtual console on the system. Finally, a retro-where-you-go console. I imagined playing all the classics anywhere I wanted.

Wasn't too into BotW, still haven't finished it. Got Cave Story, Blaster Master Zero, MARIO Odyssey, Mario Kart, a few others. Just finished Mario Odysssey a few weeks ago. It was good, but not my favorite Mario.

The crushing defeat of no Virtual Console has really soured me on buying one. I'll hold onto it but I rarely play it.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if the console isn't standing out to you, then it isn't. Nothing particularly wrong with that. It just means that whatever Nintendo's doing isn't working for you. Unfortunately, just because you like a company doesn't mean that you'll enjoy every single thing they put out.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah

I love my Switch. It's an amazing complement to my PS4 and PC. Great travel companion. I've caught up on indies, new and old, and had the occasional mainline Nintendo game. The release schedule is thin at times for new big release software but I personally couldn't care less. I could see myself being more bothered if I had more time for games but as it is I am developing a decent backlog on the Switch alone.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I've never owned a DS or 3DS or PSP so this was pretty much first handheld system, hoping that Nintendo and other developers would release the next iterations or ports of their games which were only found on HH systems and I've gotta say they've let me down in that sense. Another thing I noticed having primarily been a PC/console gamer is that games are way more pricey on handhelds. They're rarely on sale or drop in price.

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To preface, I'm a big Nintendo fan. I received a NES at the age of 4 in 1989 and I've been hooked ever since. By no means have I owned all of their consoles (Skipped the SNES and Gamecube, didn't own the original Game Boy in its heyday) but in my lifetime I'd generally say they've been my favorite videogame company and the Mario franchise is easily my favorite mass media property ever.

I've never owned a Playstation console and the only Microsoft platform that I've ever owned was the Xbox 360, so I've largely been a "Nintendo Only" gamer for the last 10 years or so. This isn't by any sort of blind fanboyism, simply a matter of free time and budgetary concerns. After all, if I was a millionaire with all the free time I could ever ask for I'd have every goddamn platform imaginable along with a ridiculous gaming PC.

I absolutely lovely the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS and still play both often. I have a ridiculous backlog for both platforms that I doubt I'll be done with anytime soon. I was a champion of Nintendo's software output in their darkest hour, almost to an exhausting degree, and even though many would argue that the Wii U was lacking software, I never found a time where I was out of things to play, though this may be thanks to my limited free time as an adult.

I excitedly pre-ordered the Switch in January from Amazon and at launch I picked up the prerequesite Breath of the Wild, 1-2-Switch, and Snipperclips. I picked up Splatoon 2 when it launched in July, Mario + Rabbids in August, and Super Mario Odyssey in October, and somewhere in there I found Puyo Puyo Tetris and Binding of Isaac on sale, so those are in my library as well.

Super Mario Odyssey was the last retail game I was excited about, and the last retail game I purchased for the system, and that really bothers me. With the Wii U and 3DS I often found myself buying a new game probably once a month. In fact I'd actually argue that I've been more excited about 3DS software releases in the 18 months that the Switch has been on the market, which seems especially bizarre since the general feeling I get from ResetERA members is pretty much the opposite.

The biggest issue I'm finding is Nintendo's tendency to lean on Wii U releases to flesh out the Switch release calendar. These games are great if you've never played them, but I own practically all of them. Once you take those out of the picture there's not a whole lot that I find interesting.

For 2017 releases...Arms looks like a neat concept but I'm not good at fighting games, Fire Emblem Warriors is probably fine but I have no particular attention to that franchise so there's no hook for me, which leaves Xenoblade Chronicles 2...which, okay, I actually really want to play, but I've admittedly got two other Xenoblade titles in my library to finish first.

For 2018 the non-Wii U releases are Kirby Star Allies, which is probably fine, admittedly, but critical consensus seems to be that it's the weakest Kirby title in some time, and after the two stellar 3DS Kirby titles that seems really heartbreaking. Sushi Striker looks great, but I'd rather play that on the 3DS, and I intend to buy it this Christmas at Black Friday, and to my knowledge all that leaves is Mario Tennis, which also seems fairly critically mediocre.

Flipping through third party releases offers better results, but it's largely late ports and indie games that ended up elevated to retail releases. I'd definitely like to play Doom, Crash, and Skyrim someday, but $60 for any of those is tough to swallow when it's a fraction of the price on other platforms.

This is all ignoring the selection of Digital games on the Switch, of course but digital games on any platform are tough to swallow for me. Buying any is a major risk because if you end up not caring for it, there's no recourse to getting your money back. No returns, no refunds. And with the huge number of digital games on the Switch eShop, trying to sift through the pile to find the gems is a real pain.

On top of that, once you finish a game, you're just stuck with it. No trade-ins, no re-selling it, even no giving it away. It makes it really hard to justify spending $20 or more on a digital game that I'm stuck with over a retail game that I have a bit more flexibility with.

It would help if there was a master list of "These games are worth your money" somewhere, but with so many indie games released every week, it's almost at steam levels where if you don't make it your business to pay attention, software slips through the cracks and you will basically never know it exists unless you make an effort to keep up with it.

I'm finding that for the first time in a long time, if ever, I'm not terribly enthused about an upcoming Nintendo Direct, and that's a really weird feeling.

For not liking the switch? Your a broken man, your sick.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
As other have already mentioned it's worth looking at indies.
The monthly eShop thread is a great way to see what's new.

Hollow Knight, Golf Story and Celeste are among the very top of what's available on the Switch in my opinion.
Yes, they are digital only but the amount of game you get for those prices is well worth it. Just look at some gameplay videos. It should be fairly easy to find out of these games are your cup of tea or not.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, no, it wasn't at all. There was many releases both fp and third party with indies as well. It's not because you only bought one game that it was bad. If we go by that, I bought Star Allies, Dandara, Mario Tennis Aces, Octopath Traveler, Hollow Knight, The Messenger, Bomb Chicken, Dead Cells and I still plan to buy others that I had no chance to pick it up. See how there's many things? There's many releases every month so I find it quite strange to say that it's in that situation.

I'm not interested in indie ports that are more expensive than when I got them on PC and offer less features than other platforms. Mario tennis and Kirby have about 5 hours of combined content and a $120 combined price tag, so I'm not playing either of those until the latter becomes a lot more reasonable.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I am a livelong Nintendo fan too (as such it baffles me that you skipped my two favorite generations).

First of I just love the hardware. It's slick and neat (outside of the dock - I kinda hate the dock). The moment they revealed the hybrid functionality I realized that at least to me it's a godsend. And to top it off developers seem to be very content with it in general.

I do feel the same about first party releases. it's "lacking" but at the same time with Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and Xenoblade beeing the top tier games they are, I am still working my way through those and am happy with it.

I understand that indies keep the software stream alive but I frankly do not care much for indies at this point. i do have Trübberbock pre-ordered though so we will see how that goes.

But then there is the prospect of the games (3rd party too) coming wich keeps me hanging in there. Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Shin Megami Tensei just of the top of my head.

I can explain skipping the SNES and GameCube. I was still young when the SNES launched so I didn't have the income to buy it myself. I received the NES late in its lifespan and my parents thought it was definitely "good enough" and didn't feel the need to buy me a new console so soon.

For the GameCube, I went all in on the Dreamcast and when it fizzled out early I was more or less burnt on Videogames for a bit. I stuck to my GBA and PC until the Wii launched in 2006.

Oct 25, 2017
No, you are not crazy.

Portability means nothing to me. My Switch is always in its dock. Bought it for Nintendo exclusives only. I literally have no reason to buy Switch versions of games, as I already have a PS4.

I'm eagerly awaiting for Metroid Prime 4 so my Switch stops collecting dust.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
You monster! :P just kidding.

You should try Hollow Knight, maybe that'll get your fires burning again.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
OP I feel that you are dismissing the Indies too quickly. I implore you to pick up Celeste, Hollow Knight, Shovel knight, Overcooked and Rocket League if you don't already have them. A bunch of other people will chime in with a dozen other incredible games that you are dismissing because they are indie.

You aren't broken you are blind. You are blind because you have yet to open your eyes.

I actually do own Overcooked, but I wasn't able to get my wife to play it with me and it's just not as fun in single player.

Shovel Knight I own on the 3DS an Wii U (both physical releases) so I didn't feel the need to buy again.

Played Rocket League on a friend's PS4 and it's just not my jam. Not a bad game but it's not for me.

Celeste I'll likely be checking out someday.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
This applies to so many things in life. We are bombarded by consumer goods everywhere we go. How do you differentiate with other things you buy? I would personally ask people - there are so many threads on here recommending eshop games or you can use open/metacritic, youtube, reddit, friends, etc.

Hollow Knight is amazing, cheap and fantastic value, you should start there.

I utilize my local library a lot. Scads of books, movies, and music completely for free. It's extraordinarily rare that I buy digitial content at all these days; I'd rather own physical versions of anything I really adore.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I utilize my local library a lot. Scads of books, movies, and music completely for free. It's extraordinarily rare that I buy digitial content at all these days; I'd rather own physical versions of anything I really adore.
That's great, but that wasn't quite my point. You said that there were so many digital games that you didn't know what to buy and what would be good.

That could equally apply to books, movies and music. How do you choose what books, movies and music you consume?

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've barely used mine this year, I like the console, but now I'm just basically waiting for ports of games I've already played hundreds of hours of - Diablo III and Civ 6.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem might not be the Switch, but rather that you have a large backlog of games already on other system. You still want to keep buying games, but it's hard to feel that excited when you've already got games you want to play piling up.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
My Switch has probably seen the least use out of everyone. I didn't want to buy it completely new at full price since I knew it wouldn't be my #1 system. So I bought it off of Ebay.
I was never interested in Zelda but tried out someone else's copy to see what the craze was about and didn't stick with it.
I was never interested in Mario Odyssey since I never cared for Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, etc.
Oh and as a extra tidbit, I don't care for Smash either.
And since I do have a Wii U, I have Bayonetta 1 & 2 along with Splatoon and Mario Kart. They still have a user-base so I see no reason to buy their Switch version right now. And I'm pretty sure they'll keep their user-base for a while since you will have to start paying on the Switch in a few days.

So since I didn't want the big 2 system sellers of 2017, or the most emphasized system seller of 2018, why did I buy it?
It's literally a Fire Emblem machine for me. Yes, pretty much a whole console for one franchise so far. And I was sorely disappointed about the delay.

Now, I'm not extremely opposed to other games but I never grew up on 2D side-scrolling games so the majority of indies don't appeal to me. So far I have Mario x Rabbids since I love that style of gameplay, Fire Emblem Warriors since its FE with Dynasty Warriors, and another game called Implosion. I'm considering Hyrule Warriors too.... I'll probably get Octopath Traveler too at some point once I'm dry on my PS4.

I'm anticipating the return of the No More Heroes Franchise, and maybe Metroid 4 along with SMT 5.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It seems to me that your problem isn't with the platform itself but with the Software because you owned a Wii U.

more and more new software for Switch will be available with time.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch is my secondary console

only game I've gotten is octopath traveler, and then the only game I'm looking forward to is smash.

2018 has been incredibly underwhelming on switch, hopefully it picks the pace up next year

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I think you'll come around when the Switch will have a bigger library of games. Switch is currently in the state where it has a few strong exclusives, but if you count games that are also available on Wii U or 3DS, it may be not enough. Some of the exclusives might not even fit into your own personal taste.

I'm the one who is very eager to explore Wii U library on the Switch, becuase I didn't own the console at the time. I still hope Nintendo will release older Xenoblade Chronicles games and Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the Switch, becuase they're the ones which interested me the most.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
As a previous Wii U owner and a PS4/XB1/PC owner, there's not a hell of a lot there for me this year, either. I played 40hrs of octopath, Mario Odyssey, and that's about it this year. Everything else is a late port or plays better elsewhere for cheaper. I'd rate the switch a slay but basick.

Nov 3, 2017
Nope, dropped mine after Odyssey (which would've been appalling had I missed out on that gem)

There's nothing there for me, why would I relegate an expensive piece of machinery to be an indie machine (and stuff that I could play on other systems at that) instead of making the money back

Portability also doesn't do much for me, although it was good for shitting

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry OP, same here. Loved Zelda and Mario, and played a ton of the X collection, but that was really it.

Couldn't get into Xenoblade, and I've played most if not all of the ports on PC/Wii U. Not really into any of the indie stuff that has been coming out lately, either.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
No, you're not. It hasn't change my life unlike so many seem to have experienced. I play it when I feel like it and that's that. It doesn't make me feel anything but nothing does. So it's whatever. Almost all third party games I would maybe buy is played better on my PS4 with trophies.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
No not broken. BotW was a very special experience on Switch, but ever since we've been getting WiiU era B tier junk from nintendo, plus a tidal wave of Indies. Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Smash aren't ports, but the experience is very samey to the previous games. Mario Odyssey was a huge let down. Monster Hunter has seemingly moved on from Nintendo, at least the main team. 3rd parties still aren't bringing most of their biggest games over. In the end it's just another modern Nintendo platform: Occasional brilliance surrounded by years of high priced mediocrity.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo machines after the SNES are secondary consoles. It hits Nintendonlies sooner or later, I personally couldn't take it anymore after Wii died off halfway through the gen.

Uncle00Jesse

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe I have a flawed sense of how I look at money, but I can't agree with a lot of the comments here. If you have played Zelda, odyssey, cart, rabids, indies, etc totalling hundreds of hours and you got a lot of enjoyment out of it during that time, the $300 for the system is more than justified and it's paid for itself. Like do you expect the thing to be a constant fun factory every week/month with new content and things to jump into and sink more time in? I feel like a lot of you expect the world out of these consoles and it's just not realistic.

Also, a lot of you are ignoring the fact that this is the ultimate machine for playing with friends. People that come over who have no interest in video games in their own day to day, pick up a joy con and have a blast. That's something special.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Maybe I have a flawed sense of how I look at money, but I can't agree with a lot of the comments here. If you have played Zelda, odyssey, cart, rabids, indies, etc totalling hundreds of hours and you got a lot of enjoyment out of it during that time, the $300 for the system is more than justified and it's paid for itself. Like do you expect the thing to be a constant fun factory every week/month with new content and things to jump into and sink more time in? I feel like a lot of you expect the world out of these consoles and it's just not realistic.

Also, a lot of you are ignoring the fact that this is the ultimate machine for playing with friends. People that come over who have no interest in video games in their own day to day, pick up a joy con and have a blast. That's something special.

I've definitely enjoyed what I've played, but I feel that there's this overwhelming sense that the Switch is the best thing since sliced bread and I'm just not seeing it, especially compared to Nintendo's previous efforts.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Everybody's different.

People that love their Switch are not wrong.

People that are disappointed or indifferent are not wrong.

It's all a matter of taste and perspective.