phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
A game like Yoku's Island Express, plays very much like a wacky fun Nintendo game, and it looks and sounds gorgeous. But it sold poorly on Switch, even though the user impressions generally were excellent and it reviewed in the same range as Octopath/Splatoon 2 score-wise. One of the reasons it didn't sell that well probably was because it wasn't a "Nintendo game".

I think the fact that it's a "pinball platformer" has more to do with that.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
This is all ignoring the selection of Digital games on the Switch, of course but digital games on any platform are tough to swallow for me. Buying any is a major risk because if you end up not caring for it, there's no recourse to getting your money back. No returns, no refunds. And with the huge number of digital games on the Switch eShop, trying to sift through the pile to find the gems is a real pain.

This applies to so many things in life. We are bombarded by consumer goods everywhere we go. How do you differentiate with other things you buy? I would personally ask people - there are so many threads on here recommending eshop games or you can use open/metacritic, youtube, reddit, friends, etc.

Hollow Knight is amazing, cheap and fantastic value, you should start there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch has basically been a Fortnite box for a few months for me now. Love the hardware, games that I want to play are a bit thin on the ground. the eShop also has quite a high junk to gold ratio too.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Like you I have a Wii-U with a fairly large library, and I am also rather underwhelmed by the Switch so far. I've had a great time with some games, Hollow knight, Splatoon 2 and Rabbids are some of the standouts, but overall I actually still play on my Wii-U more than on my Switch. I already had most of the ported Wii-U titles, and see no reason to buy them again, sometimes for a higher price than the original versions. Odyssey was also a disappointment to me, I prefer both 3d world and New Mario U to it by far. I've no doubt that the library will expand, and I like the portability, but right now I can't say I'm that impressed.

OP I feel that you are dismissing the Indies too quickly. I implore you to pick up Celeste, Hollow Knight, Shovel knight, Overcooked and Rocket League if you don't already have them. A bunch of other people will chime in with a dozen other incredible games that you are dismissing because they are indie.

You aren't broken you are blind. You are blind because you have yet to open your eyes.

I already had Shovel Knight on the Wii-U, Overcooked and rocket League on the PS4. That's just more rereleases. While I did first pick up Hollow Knight on the Switch and absolutely loved it, it had already been out on PC for ages.

And I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, but that last part of your post does sound slightly cultish. :)

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you OP. The only switch game I've purchased this year is octopath traveller and even that didn't hold my attention long.
Thankfully there's lots to play elsewhere.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I actually disagree with quite a lot of posters in here.

For one I think the Switch is the first console since the Gamecube era that also offers above decent third-party support, especially factoring in indie-games. And let's be honest: If you are disregarding indie-games as not being on-par in 2018, you are being ignorant.

I also owned a WiiU and still I feel I probably already spent as much time with my Switch as I did with my WiiU in its whole life-span. I re-bought Mario Kart 8 with which I didn't spend too much time admittedly. But Splatoon 2 is an all new-game not sure why people are still saying otherwise. There's Mario Odyssey, there is Zelda. There are the excellent Mario Rabbid & Octopath Traveller... And then all the amazing Indie games and a great amount of excellent third party games in addition.

If all that doens't make you love the Switch... then maybe it's just not for you.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
"The biggest issue I'm finding is Nintendo's tendency to lean on Wii U releases to flesh out the Switch release calendar. These games are great if you've never played them, but I own practically all of them. Once you take those out of the picture there's not a whole lot that I find interesting."

Ding ding ding. The Switch has a serious software drought for people who owned the Wii U and aren't interested in late 3rd party ports. There's still only like 3 Switch exclusive games I want with the system which I doubt is gonna change until at least the 2nd anniversary. Games like MP4 and Bayo 3 are probably further out in 2019. I wish more Nintendo exclusives started releasing on the system.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I feel Switch only needs 2 more "AAA" amazing games (Let's say Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 or Fire Emblem, if they deliver) to easily beat Wii U, Wii and Gamecube in terms of library. And the machine is not even 2 years old.
4 Switch games out of 10 are on my GOAT list already (2 Nintendo and 2 indie games)

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
My brother bought one for BotW. When I tried it I found it to be among the worst/unergonomic controllers I've felt in quite a while, probably since Vita. Even the pro controller was not at all on par with XB1/PS4-controllers, imho. No longer much of a fan of handheld gaming either so I do not see myself getting a Switch. My brother also sold his after finishing BotW.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't a heavily/mostly/exclusively portable gamer it's tough to see how Switch's 2018 has been all that great. Purchased one game all year which was Hollow Knight last month . I'll grab Octopath eventually, but the plethora of current gen ports and indies I already bought or ignored elsewhere isn't exactly enticing. Nintendo's heavy casual push this year has also been unfortunate after what they sold the system on in 2017. It's Nintendo so I figured that shit was coming, but Jesus.

Never liked Smash and while I'm open to trying a core Pokemon title, Let's Go is clearly not made for me so the rest 2018 is a wash. Next year should see a return to form, though, should Metroid, Bayo, FE, and SMT all deliver .

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I got a Switch last Christmas to play the big exclusives I was interested in that came out in 2017. Breath of the Wild and Mario+Rabbids were ace, Odyssey I thought was slightly overrated but still very good and Xenoblade 2 bored me to such absolute tears that I gave up on it sometime around February. Since then I haven't touched my Switch, and nothing exclusive-wise this year has caught my eye, so I ended up selling mine last week. There's no point keeping a console around if it's literally gathering dust.

So yeah, I'm not crazy about it either. That momentum that it had in its first year has come to a grinding halt, and I'm not super passionate about playing indies and Wii U remasters on it.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WTzWZoZD.jpg

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
To be honest, OP, it sounds like you're actively finding excuses NOT to play games on your Switch. You keep talking about games you want, then make excuses why you won't buy them.

Xenoblade 2: no relation to the original or X. It's like Final Fantasy in that sequels aren't really sequels to existing games, but set in completely different universes.

Mario Tennis: amazing, and online for it is great, yet you won't even play it because you'd rather use someone else's opinion of it as an excuse not to play it than play it yourself.

Doom, Skyrim, Crash: you say you REALLY want to play these, then bitch about the relative price compared to other systems. The thing is, you admit you don't own the other systems they're on, so what does it matter? They're new releases to you regardless.

Digital games/indie games: you'd better get over your fear of these, because it's the future of gaming and refusing to get them will leave you out of a TON of amazing experiences

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
It's a typical modern Nintendo box in the way that it has a great first party line up, a gimmick I'm not interested in aaaand not a lot else. I own one plus a PS4 and I still do 95% of my gaming on PC.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not crazy about the switch either.

There's lots of software, but somehow the exclusives don't feel as high of quality as they need to be, and the ports aren't interesting for anyone who's played these games already or can play them on a more powerful console. The portability is great though.

My main issue is the design of the system. No dpad, feels somewhat cheap. The namesake, switching out the little controllers, feels finicky. I wish I skipped on Wii u. I'd definitely see the switch differently if I did.

Still, surely in a couple years, when there is more interesting brand new software, I'll be happier.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm in the same boat, OP. I've barely played my Switch this year.

Most of Nintendo's first party efforts have been subpar entries in franchises I wasn't in love with in the first place, and 95% of the 3rd party retail titles are ports of years-old games. A good chunk of the indies everyone raves about are old, too.

Hopefully next year will better. Can't believe I'm back to saying that again.

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is a great system but it's not for everybody and it's fine not to like it.

I think threads like this are honestly just a symptom of spending too much time on Era (or Reddit, or wherever). It's fine to not like the Switch in the same way it's totally fine to not be interested in the massively hyped console exclusives, when it feels like they're all Era talks about for a week before and after release. You can spend enough time on here to a point where it feels like you're wrong or hugely missing out for not wanting to play Spider-Man or God of War or Red Dead or Smash or whatever. You're really not and it's OK.

Play what you wanna play. It's fine.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same and I was among the people hoping that the NX would be a hybrid. The Switch's library so far doesn't appeal to me even in the slightest. Old ports that I've already played, indies that I've either played or can buy a lot cheaper on PC. And then there is their stupid decision to charge for online play.

As someone who got every handheld and console they released since the GBC and N64, I almost feel sad.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand how you can love the WiiU and not like the Switch...

I hear you on not buying digital games. But there's tons of physical indie games out now.

Switch might be my favorite hardware of all time.

A fsir criticism is thst this year has been lacking in new 1st party single olayer content. Hopefully that gets better next year.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, you not crazy op, switch is overrated. One if the rare cases where biggest selling point it's not the games, but the form factor.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nah, everything's alright OP. We have 2 at home and while we even have around 20 games or more and the first year was great, in the last few months it's collecting dust like crazy cause besides some exceptions, it became a port machine of older games. I think I won't actively play with it again until Smash Bros comes out.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Switch is my favorite Nintendo console since the Nintendo DS, but this is related with the fact that from the current video game industry I'm only interested in indie games, and the indie catalogue of Switch is superb.

But I can understand how a person that is only interested in playing Nintendo IPs, can't find the console as compelling as me.

In the other hand, I was much more interested in Vita than in 3DS. For the same reason, while I adore Nintendo IPs, in the current industry, indie games are a much more important thing for me. And the indie catalogue of Vita was much more interesting than the 3DS one.

With all of this said, OP, you seem to be still enjoying of the backlog in your Wii U and your 3DS, so I can't see a problem here. Let's forget the planned obsolescence approach in the industry, forcing you to migrate to new products. You seem to be very happy with the games that you can play in other consoles. So simply, enjoy these games. Don't think in things like if you are playing with the newest and shiny toys. Forget the marketing, and simply enjoy of the things that you love :)

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You're broken for ignoring digital only games, being on Switch or any other platform.

I feel like 90% of interesting stuff nowadays are games without retail versions.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Barely use my Switch, I am just not bothered by it. The AAA games feel like I have played them a million times before and BotW did not really do it for me (I am a massive Zelda fan.) None of the upcoming games are of interest unfortunately but if Waverace, F-Zero or a proper Star Fox were announced I would be excited.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
In fact I'd actually argue that I've been more excited about 3DS software releases in the 18 months that the Switch has been on the market
Care to elaborate on which titles have had you more excited??

I've bought 5 3DS games post-Switch launch but none of those came close to BotW or Odyssey: two games I have been waiting for Nintendo to make since the Wii U launched.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I sold mine. Just wasn't good as a home console or a handheld.

I tried to like it but BotW wasn't anything special and ran like shit. Even then as a portable machine the battery was trash. Then of course there's quite a lack of games on the console.

Very glad I sold it. Such an overrated system.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
OP, there's a pretty reliable way to check which games are worth getting in a given month: look at the Best Sellers section on the eShop and ignore all the games that are currently on sale w/ deep discounts (less than $5).

It won't help you find the best games from a few months ago, but it'll tell you where the system's pulse is at right now.

Have their been seven new first-party releases for Switch so far this year? I can't quite think of that many.

Kirby Star Allies
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit
Mario Tennis Aces
Sushi Striker
Octopath Traveler
(Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)

That's six games so far vs. six from last year during the same timeframe.

Coming this month:
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit
(Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country)

We also had one game in September last year, but it was a Wii U port.

Coming in Q4:
Super Mario Party
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Vs. FE Warriors, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 last year.

Plus we're getting like 3x the ports on top of that.

The quantity is definitely there; what's missing is the big single-player games of the variety we got last year. But if you factor in ports (all the first-party ports from last year were competitive multiplayer games, this year they're mostly single-player games), we're still getting lots of single-player content.

Last edited:

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I half agree. I want to like the switch a lot, and there are times I do. Hollow Knight was fantastic and is easily my favorite game on the system. At the same time, I had already played it before on PC, so it loses a bit of that first time magic. Otherwise, I liked Mario and Xenoblade a good bit, but this year especially has been a bit dry for me. Ultimately, I like the hardware itself a good bit, and it's still early in the life, so I could see more great games coming as developers get more time with it. If there's any game on the horizon you're interested in, I'd say it's worth holding onto.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I've not turned it on since Jan. Apart from Zelda and Mario, there's nothing compelling to play on it for my tastes.

I love visually rich, detailed 3rd person , story heavy games or online multiplayer, Switch isn't a capable enough machine to deliver what I'm used to with the 4k machines. I can't stand JRPGs, kart racers, and quirky games like Splatoon, they don't do anything for me, I just keep it for Zelda games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for the consolidated development of Nintendo's handheld and console divisions to take effect because... I mean, it has to eventually right?

The last few years of the Wii U were crazy barren, and I assumed they were stockpiling games for Switch, but outside of the teams that were 'due' games anyway (Mario, Zelda, MK folks with Arms), it feels like that initiative hasn't really borne out yet.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm getting a switch solely to play Zelda/Pokemon and I wish I could play them on my PS4Pro (I'd pay 150$ for a PS4Pro version). You're not alone, but Nintendo fans are over-represented and very vocal so you'll get the feeling you're an outlier, but you're not. I'm just glad I don't have to buy a Square console to play their game, and a Rockstar console to play their game, etc.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I largely bought the Switch because the follow up to Xenoblade, one of my favourite games had already been announced. It ended up being possibly the most disappointing game I've ever played but nevermind, there's still SMTV and I'm sure Fire Emblem will be good

Edit - and of course Prime 4

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still waiting for the consolidated development of Nintendo's handheld and console divisions to take effect because... I mean, it has to eventually right?

The last few years of the Wii U were crazy barren, and I assumed they were stockpiling games for Switch, but outside of the teams that were 'due' games anyway (Mario, Zelda, MK folks with Arms), it feels like that initiative hasn't really borne out yet.

Almost no one at Nintendo proper is working on 3DS software anymore and they haven't for a while. It was a faulty assumption to think that this would mean we'd get the same amount of Switch software as their 3DS and Wii U output taken together.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Switch certainly isn't for everyone. If you like Nintendo games and/or want to play indies on the go then it's perfect, otherwise you'll find better options elsewhere. For me, it's a lifesaver when I'm away with work, and on long flights etc. It really helps see me through. But all my gaming at home is done on my Pro/X. That said, my Switch still gets plenty of use at home by my wife - she loves the thing.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart is the only thing I've played on my Switch for more than 5 hours.

I thought I'd like their first party offerings but I really found them disappointing. I think I turned it on for 2 hours total in 2018, for Octopath, but that was a pretty big letdown too.

Quite like it as a piece of hardware, though.

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Octopath Traveler. 3rd party, exclusive.

Great indie games:

Stardew Valley
Golf Story
Celeste
Dead Cells

That's just to get started. Of course, it doesn't solve the fact you want trade in value. Good news is, many indie games come out physically on switch. Overcooked 2, Snipperclips, and Binding of Isaac to name a few

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I loved my switch year one but now its just my travel machine, after getting burned by how bad Dead Cells performed Im buying all my non-exclusives on Ps4. Since its "the" indie machine they should really address the horrific D-pad/stick, its really frustrating to get the wrong input in precision games.

Saying that, I am playing serious amount of into the breach on it and its perfect for games like that.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let fanboy perspectives make you think you're missing some secret enjoyment that isn't there -- same for every platform. Hell, I'm very outspoken about VR and I won't dismiss its limitations, too. I prefer to play on PC, but I'm not crazy about PC gaming. Switch is fine too. There are a handful of really great games worth buying and it can be nice to play indie games portably depending on your needs.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue I'm finding is Nintendo's tendency to lean on Wii U releases to flesh out the Switch release calendar. These games are great if you've never played them, but I own practically all of them. Once you take those out of the picture there's not a whole lot that I find interesting.

I'm finding that for the first time in a long time, if ever, I'm not terribly enthused about an upcoming Nintendo Direct, and that's a really weird feeling.

Play Xenoblade Chronicles 1 on Wii U (the beginning can be hard but it's an awesome game and totally worth the initial struggle, Wii U Version is the best way to play it), then play Xenoblade 2, then play Xenoblade 2 Torna. Just do it :)

Also if you don't own a Playstation and other hardware i can't see why ports of those systems would be a problem for you. Play Ys 8 if you like Action RPGs and Adventures, it's a nice game, Octopath is good as well. I owned a Wii U too and i don't buy every port either, i wouldn't be starving with Switch allone.

For digital games it depends on your tastes. I love Night in the Woods, Golfstory, Thimbleweed Park and there are great Metroidvanias on Switch.

2018 wasn't as good as 2017 when it comes to 1st party games. But the Wii U had more draughts imo and after a very good 2017 it isn't that much of a problem, because there are 3rd party games too. And 2019+ should be fantastic years. If prices are a problem, nobody forbids you to buy used cartridges and sell them again.

And i don't see a problem if you already have enough games (backlog) on Wii U and 3DS, just play those games first. I mean you compare Switch to consoles that had years worth of games, not only 1,5 years like Switch.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Eh,nothing wrong with not liking the Switch tbh.
It's mostly just annoying arguing with anti-Switch/ Nintendoomers who are adamant on ignoring all evidence that the console is stupidly popular for no real reason.

Ultimately it's a console like any other and if you don't care for the games on it or being ported than you should feel no obligation to feel bad about not wanting to own it

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still banking on Nintendo's output in the future myself. All these old indies and old WiiU games that get re-released don't exactly make the Switch an attractive system for me; you can get indies on so many other systems and years earlier sometimes and with better performance. It certainly doesn't give the Switch any kind of identity.

Really the only selling points at this point are Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and its portability and that means jack shit to me (Zelda is also on WiiU and perfectly playable on it too). As of right now I'd say the Switch is probably the worst console Nintendo brought out next to the N64 (Virtual Boy is dead last of course). I still have confidence Nintendo's gonna bring the goods in the future, but as of now it's extremely slim pickings.

This is all just personal opinion of course, but even exclusive games like Mario Tennis, Octopath, Arms, Splatoon 2, 1-2 Switch, Kirby have either been disappointing or just more of the same. Upcoming games like Super Mario Party, Smash, Let's Go Pokemon also look like solid, but really predictable games. Nintendo is taking a shockingly long time to bring the goods and this comes from a borderline Nintendo apologist. I've never throughout my life been as down on Nintendo as I am right now. I'm really hoping they nail Metroid Prime 4, but at this point I have very little confidence they even understand what makes a Metroid game good.

redlentil

Oct 27, 2017
Not really relating to your Switch apathy, but right with you on the love for the WiiU and 3DS. I'm all-in digital on everything and treat games as "sunk-costs", so maybe that makes a difference? Please don't ignore indies. I'm amazed at the diverse experiences I've enjoyed during the last year.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I love my Switch but as a Wii U owner I can empathise with the lack of first party offerings this year. Odyssey was the last retail game I bought as well but luckily plenty of solace has been found in the strong indie game line up.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that in your case it makes perfect sense that you aren't as excited for a new Nintendo Direct. For me Breath of the Wild with better performance and Mario Odyssey were reasons enough to justify buying the console, but if you most of the games you are interested are third-party ones which are sold at a premium on the Switch and generally perform worse because of its specifications... I'd say in your case it makes more sense to buy a different system.