Which side are you on?

• Team Green! (Alicent, Aemond, Otto, etc)

Votes: 35 12.0%
  • Team Black! (Rhaenyra, Daemon, Corlys, etc)

Votes: 256 88.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
The dragon fights were awesome. When dragon blood fell on the soldiers they were screaming. Does it have any potent effect or is it just this liquid being dropped from the sky that hurt?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
all caught up now. I think this was the first time I kinda side-eyed the writing so far, because Vaghar is such a cheat code, why would you ever just send 1 dragon to fight anything if there's the possibility that Vaghar will just wreck you. In fact, they have all these knowledge, they knew Cole was on a campaign of taking castles, so surely they would know Aegon was with him? I guess Aegon could have been hiding the whole time but still.

Besides that, I've been loving the show so far from S1 all the way to this week's ep. One thing I really like is how "gray" even the so called villains are. Alicent is no Cersi, Aegon (hell even Aemond) is no Joffrey, there's no "im just evil because im evil muahahaha" characters. Alicent truly could have misinterpreted Visery's dying words. Aegon clearly didn't want Vaghar to kill Luke and he showed remorse in the brothel. Hell, Daemon is more of a psycho than all of them :D

Speaking of Aemond and Daemon, obviously Daemon is very easy to like (well, "like" as much as you can like a psycho), Matt Smith is great, he's a badass, he looks cool etc etc... but dude, Aemond is probably one of my favorite "villains" ever in anything. Like I said, he's not just mustache twirly (hell, you motherfuckers all bullied him as a kid and shit!), he looks RIDICULOUSLY stylish, especially when he removes the eyepatch, the actor just oozes charisma and style, it really caught me off guard.

But yeah, nitpicks aside, I've been loving this.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
how fucking expensive is this show anyway? it seems to have A LOT more SFX than GoT did. I know it's already renewed to season 4, but it doesn't seem to be as big as GoT, at least not that I've noticed (for example I don't really know anyone that is even watching it)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember if it was season 1 or 2, but what happened to that plotline when Daemon went into some temple or cave or whatever it was, and there was a giant dragon there and he just stood there looking at it?

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
It seems like in this universe, they don't invent jack shit ever.

It's never made sense to me that the level of tech just stays the same no matter how many years go by. Whether it's the time of Aegon the Conqueror, or 200 years later in the time of Rhaenera, or 100 more years after that in the time of GoT, they're just forever stuck in 1600. Nobody ever invents a condom, a light bulb or a firearm. It's just pre-industrial forever. I guess that's what happens when the seasonal cycle lasts 20 years and there's rarely an extended period of peace.

They haven't invented gunpowder, which is what pushed inventions for us. Also Dragons are peak of the food chain, they stifle anything and everything is useless against them. Nerdwriter1 did a good video on it actually.

Took me ages of searching but I found the video... hope you appreciate it haha.

web.archive.org

Game of Thrones: Why Dragons Halt Progress

HELP ME MAKE MORE VIDEOS: http://www.patreon.com/nerdwriter Buy KRTS's "White Privilege" here: https://itunes.apple.com/album/close-eyes-to-exit/id1039423639...

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember if it was season 1 or 2, but what happened to that plotline when Daemon went into some temple or cave or whatever it was, and there was a giant dragon there and he just stood there looking at it?
that was in season 1 on Dragonstone, there is another large dragon there. nothing happened apart from that visit

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, what an amazing episode.
Rhaenys didn't look like she was too worried about getting out of that fight alive.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember if this was a part of the earlier scenes in Season 1 (when they were all kids) but is it explained why Aemond has the biggest dragon by what seems to be a country mile? For some reason I assumed the dragons' size was an indication of their age but obviously that went out the window when Meleys was shown to be so much smaller.

Vhagar was originally the dragon of Visenya Targaryen, one of Aegon the Conqueror's sister-wives. The last surviving of the Conquering trio's dragons. So she's the oldest living dragon, at over 150.

www.hbo.com

House of the Dragon | Dragon Index | HBO.com

Dragons are fierce creatures and the Targaryen's claim to power. Discover the dragon index for House of the Dragon and read about the dragons & their riders.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
I think this was the first time I kinda side-eyed the writing so far, because Vaghar is such a cheat code, why would you ever just send 1 dragon to fight anything if there's the possibility that Vaghar will just wreck you. In fact, they have all these knowledge, they knew Cole was on a campaign of taking castles, so surely they would know Aegon was with him? I guess Aegon could have been hiding the whole time but still.
The Blacks assumed Vhagar would still be back at King's Landing since no dragons had been present in the previous battles. They didn't expect any dragons to be with Cole and wanted to avoid dragon vs dragon combat in general. Aegon wasn't there before and shouldn't have been there for this battle. His appearance was a surprise to everyone on both sides.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Aemond played them like a fiddle. Yeah, didn't expect a dragon there, it is a relatively small target, something Cole can take with his army, and KL was protected by Vhaegar, we saw this in the first or second episode where they had the scorpions out and yelled "It is Vhaegar".

And sending multiple dragons would leave Dragonstone with less defensive power.

I think these reasons are pretty sound to me.

Oh, another reason for no more dragons. These kids are just inexperienced. Risk of losing Rhaenyra too big. It was the right choice for them in the end, imo.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think sending one of the kids wouldn't have changed things that much as they're just too inexperienced. They really could have used Daemon and his dragon but he's too busy having nightmares and taking weird drugs.

Though at this point I really wonder if there's much left to stop the greens from just taking dragon stone with Vhagar.

Little Aemond really fucked them when he just snagged Vhagar back in the day

Last edited:

Modi

Oct 29, 2017
House-Of-The-Dragon-Episode-8-King-Viserys-Targaryen-Iron-Throne.jpg

Next dream (or nightmare) for Daemon?

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, I always forget that part that it all comes from Rhaenys' blood lol, nvm then

Though it is still weird that they pointed out Laenor's dragon has been hanging around

I guess there's that other dude that claims to be a Targaryen....

Corlys has no dragon himself but that doesn't mean he is unable to ride dragons. He is the blood of Old Valyria. We don't even know who his parents were.

And whether you actually need the right blood to ride a dragon is unknown. Obviously the people who have the dragons would not want other people taking a dragon. Vhagar was Laena's dragon and Aemond just took it after she died. So saying there is some mythical "dragon blood" helps the agenda of keeping the dragons away from enemies.

Jan 20, 2022
It seems like in this universe, they don't invent jack shit ever.

It's never made sense to me that the level of tech just stays the same no matter how many years go by. Whether it's the time of Aegon the Conqueror, or 200 years later in the time of Rhaenera, or 100 more years after that in the time of GoT, they're just forever stuck in 1600. Nobody ever invents a condom, a light bulb or a firearm. It's just pre-industrial forever. I guess that's what happens when the seasonal cycle lasts 20 years and there's rarely an extended period of peace.
Isn't this kind of the case with all fantasy? Technology in Lord of the Rings hardly progresses at all over the course of thousands of years. Maybe fantasy universes exist in an alternate reality where advance tech doesn't exist

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Holy shit this battle was brutal. Best episode of the series so far.

I liked Rhaenys, and it's sad to see her go, but sometimes the stakes need to be risen and there's no fighting Aemond's Dynamaxed dragon and making it out alive.
Ser Cole is probably getting demoted for failing to protect the king, even though it wasn't really his fault.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
But who would demote Cole? He is Hand of the King and has serious power.

I don't know if the council would have such power, because I don't think the king will do much for the next few episodes.. or ever. Unless he's dead, then Aemond's next in line.

Edit: actually, come to think about it, if Aegon, and then Aemond, dies... wouldn't the next in line from the greens be Jace?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Ser Cole is probably getting demoted for failing to protect the king, even though it wasn't really his fault.

i mean ser cole has a playbook we all know at this point, he's going to pin the blame on someone else and kill them. and then try to do something military to prove he's "still the man".

the lame ass new Kings Guard? I could see that, they have been useless and really some of them should have prevented him going. Is Cole even Captain of the Kingsguard anymore?

whoever is running the dragon stables? I'm not sure how any of them could have prevented the King from taking off and really Cole should have told them, that under no circumstances were they to allow the King to fly off (and he probably did not do that) but he could pretend he did and execute a few of them putting the blame on them. After all, the only other person who could countermand that would be The King.

maybe he'll blame the guys who made the Kings Armor and say it was defective lol Its Valyrian Steel, right? I forget, is it immune to dragon fire or not?

Larys is a factor in all of this too, he tends to exploit chaos.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if the council would have such power, because I don't think the king will do much for the next few episodes.. or ever. Unless he's dead, then Aemond's next in line.

Edit: actually, come to think about it, if Aegon, and then Aemond, dies... wouldn't the next in line from the greens be Jace?
Daeron would be the next in line after Aemond.

luminosity

"This guy are sick"
Oct 30, 2017

Jace is super black.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The history between Vhagar and Meleys made the fight all the sadder considering the two once belonged to Rhaenyra's grandfather and grandmother respectively, essentially making them companions for many years. I noticed Vhagar didn't roar in triumph after killing her like she did with Arrax.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Corlys has no dragon himself but that doesn't mean he is unable to ride dragons. He is the blood of Old Valyria. We don't even know who his parents were.

And whether you actually need the right blood to ride a dragon is unknown. Obviously the people who have the dragons would not want other people taking a dragon. Vhagar was Laena's dragon and Aemond just took it after she died. So saying there is some mythical "dragon blood" helps the agenda of keeping the dragons away from enemies.
Nope, people not from targ or Valyria decent have tried to claim dragons. Definitely not unknown what happened to them lol.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

Here is Daemon naming all the Dragons

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/_KFkt9q4wZE?si=QEPmr7Gzsf4DuW96

And I guess this is a spoiler because it was never actually said in an episode but Ryan Condal did an interview and said the dragon Daemon was singing to is
Vermithor

Not including unnamed cave dragon on screen we have seen for team black

Caraxes - Daemon's dragon
Syrax - Rhaenyra's dragon
Seasmoke - Leanor's dragon (abandoned)
Vermax - Jace's dragon
Moondancer - Baella's dragon

RIP Dragon
Arrax - Luke's killed by Vhagar
Melys - Rhaenys also killed by Vhagar

Unseen dragon sent to The Vale
Tyraxes - Joffrey's dragon

Then Silverwing and Vermithor are currently unclaimed and 3 wild dragons for 14.

Green dragons
Vhagar - Aemond
Sunfyre - Aegon (status TBC)

I don't actually know if they have said who has the other dragons for the greens and what their names are on screen. There definitely has been a laxness in actually putting the vital info in front of the audience. People shouldn't need to watch behind the scenes stuff or interviews to know what is going on. GoT also did this. I think it took until season 5 for Dany to name Viserion and Rhaegal and even then there was no actual identification on which one was which.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
In spite of people trying to big brain oh both sides are murderous tyrants (and it's kinda true), public consensus is that the Blacks are the good guys and the Greens are the bad guys in the same dynamic as like, the Starks vs. the Lannisters. Just more despicable people on one side.

But even the crazies on the Green side feel like they get more humanizing moments at least. Even the despicable Christian Cole, when he saw that it was the wrong dragon, he made a snap judgment to rally the troops to charge to support Aegon. It came across as loyal. And when he wakes up seeing the dragon scorched battle field, he looked so shell shocked, like he was gonna change his mind about the glory and nobility of knighthood. Maybe.

That said, Aegon is in bad shape. Someone else is going to speak oh his behalf if they feel like they want to scapegoat Christian Cole, despite him choosing to stand by the king in a moment no else will understand. Besides Aemond. Bad timing for dramatic irony.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, who would succeed Aegon if he's dead? Is it Aemond? Would explain why he cared so little about Aegon's well being during the battle

OP
OP
EzekelRAGE

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
By the way, who would succeed Aegon if he's dead? Is it Aemond? Would explain why he cared so little about Aegon's well being during the battle
Idk, I'm thinking Aemond since Aegon's son/heir died? Apparently there is another brother(alicent's child) that otto mentioned in ep3. Darren or something. Idk where he fits in the succession plan. Cant be too important if they just now mentioning him, so he probably is a younger brother.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Originally it would have been Aegon's son, now that his son is dead it's Aemond. After that is their as of yet unseen brother Daeron

Jace is super black.

Ah, yeah, but if the secret son of Allicent and Vyseris doesn't have any heirs, then after him the next male in the succession line is Jacaerys. I wonder how that would work. The greens would probably rather have Haelena's daughter as ruler than let the blacks win, lol. Edit: I guess Damon is older, so uncles first, then nephews

Last edited:

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

It would have been his son Jaehaerys but Blood and Cheese killed him.

So Aemond is next (read that into his actions this episode as you will).

Then Alicent and Viserys third son, Daeron, who we haven't met and is in Oldtown (the Hightowers home city).

Then that's it for the Greens unless Aegon, Aemond or Daeron have more kids.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been his son Jaehaerys but Blood and Cheese killed him.

So Aemond is next (read that into his actions this episode as you will).

Then Alicent and Viserys third son, Daeron, who we haven't met and is in Oldtown (the Hightowers home city).

Then that's it for the Greens unless Aegon, Aemond or Daeron have more kids.

After Daeron it gets messy because Queen Heleana has a claim. But its considerably weak because of the Greens own arguments, which would seem to indicate that Daemon would be next in line.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
After Daeron it gets messy because Queen Heleana has a claim. But its considerably weak because of the Greens own arguments, which would seem to indicate that Daemon would be next in line.

Yeah if all the males are dead, and you only have Viserys daughters left, Rhaenyra is older than Heleana.

So it would either be Daemon or Rhaenyra.