Which side are you on?

• Team Green! (Alicent, Aemond, Otto, etc)

Votes: 35 12.0%
  • Team Black! (Rhaenyra, Daemon, Corlys, etc)

Votes: 256 88.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know, they could have as easily cut it off at episode 7, with the red sowing and then ending on Rhaenyra standing there triumphantly with her dragon army. Then episode 8 would have been a good s3 opener leaving everybody hype for next weeks battle episode.

Well the complaints about Daemon would be amplified without a payoff so that would need fixing, but yea, it'd be a relatively "normal" cliffhanger to the utterly hype inducing one Episode 8 gives, which made the despair of realizing you'll see no resolution for 2 years all the greater...

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Honestly, this season was fantastic in terms of character progression and buildup, but I can see where people could take issue with it.

-The finale doesn't feel like a finale. If this were any other episode, it would be amazing. Daemon's vision and the scene of him bowing before Rhae and rallying the Rivermen alone would be enough to make people enjoy it if it were a "normal" episode. Obviously, a big battle was cut when the number of episodes went from 10 to 8.

-Corlys's storyline in particular fell victim to "tell, don't show." We got seven hundred scenes of him at a dock or talking to his kids. We got his kids talking about him. But we never see anything happen with them. Maybe show Alyn's resentment at being made first mate boiling over and pushing the men away, leading to them complaining about him to Corlys? Maybe hint at this before he explodes at Corlys (great acting from Alyn's actor in this scene, by the way). Maybe show Alyn rescuing Corlys much earlier on instead of just randomly introduce him. Addam is the only one who got to do something and that's because he claimed a dragon... or vice versa, if you know what I mean.

-Rhaena, the babysitter who never was. Why did we need three or more scenes of her running in the Eyrie? Why not show her claiming Sheepstealer?

-Daeron and what's going on in Oldtown needed screentime. How are we supposed to digest that Alicent has a third son if we've never even heard of him until this season? I know we saw his dragon at the end, but at least let us know he exists, come on.

I'm not one of those people who needs action in a show to enjoy it. But there were clearly some constraints placed on the creative team during this season, and it shows. I'm sure it will be viewed much more favorably in hindsight, but as a week to week affair, I can see how people see it as weak. Pun intended.

Don't get me wrong, though, I still enjoyed it immensely. Aegon in particular was a standout character for me this season because of how well Tom plays him. Otto had one of the best GoT speeches ever when he roasted the hell out of his grandson. Cole losing his bravado and going into a deep existential crisis after seeing how dragons fight was great - Gwayne was ready to throw hands with the guy and saw how depressed he was and changed his mind, lol. Aemond's further descent into succumbing to his anger and trauma was great. Ulf is a love-to-hate-'em character that I guarantee is going to screw everybody over. So much to love about this season.

It definitely had its flaws, though.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
If S3 is a return to form in terms of pacing and budget, I can see the series being fondly remembered.

But I have no hope HBO will hear the audience.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The scenes at the docks throughout the season, where was that? The stepstones?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched and I am gonna say that what they did to Alicent's character is enough to call this chapter bad

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
God streaming options (quality wise) are such shite in the UK :(

How are you trying to stream? I know Sky Go on computers is hilariously bad in quality because they have all sorts of DRM bullshit. Maybe slightly better on iPads.

NowTV boxes should be as good as any other sky product, but of course you need the box or have the app on your TV. I can't imagine their computer streaming options are any better than SkyGo.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
How are you trying to stream? I know Sky Go on computers is hilariously bad in quality because they have all sorts of DRM bullshit. Maybe slightly better on iPads.

NowTV boxes should be as good as any other sky product, but of course you need the box or have the app on your TV. I can't imagine their computer streaming options are any better than SkyGo.

Been using NOW TV trial, its utter rubbish. How on earth are they streaming at that quality in 2024, unbelievable.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Been using NOW TV trial, its utter rubbish. How on earth are they streaming at that quality in 2024, unbelievable.
You have to pay extra for HD and UHD, otherwise it's 720p (which is unbelievable I agree). And even if you do pay, unless it says "UHD" next to the content then it won't be 4K, they've only just added it and the device compatibility is limited at the moment.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect a swerve later on, no way she doesn't come back to the Greens with renewed confidence. I think she's just on a soul searching arc.

I could very well be wrong though
I think the swerve will come again due to a misunderstanding, like Aegon suddenly not being in King's Landing anymore. Rhaenyra will think of it as a trap.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
I miss having an epic prestige show to look forward to on Sunday nights. 😞 What y'all watching now?

No more Succession, no more Game of Thrones for 2 years, the second season of TLOU is 2025, so is The White Lotus. We're gonna be running bone dry on Sunday evenings for a while unless I'm forgetting something

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
I miss having an epic prestige show to look forward to on Sunday nights. 😞 What y'all watching now?

No more Succession, no more Game of Thrones for 2 years, the second season of TLOU is 2025, so is The White Lotus. We're gonna be running bone dry on Sunday evenings for a while unless I'm forgetting something

Industry! Season 3 started tonight in the House of the Dragon time slot.

We have A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, the other Game of Thrones spinoff. That'll probably be coming out around this time next year. Should help the dragon drought a bit

Oh, and the second season of Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power is soon! First season was a little dry but I didn't hate it

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

this is the time to catch up on stuff. My current watch list

Evil - s1 & s2 are on Netflix, s3-s4 (and 1-2 I assume) are on Paramount+. Season 4 is the final season. It has the guy who played Luke Cage and also the guy who played Ben Linus (Lost), its a solid 7/10 show.
The Bear - season 3 dropped completely a few weeks ago, we recently binged s1-2 and thought they were PHENOMENAL but i've heard s3 isn't quite as good.
Shogun - watched already but if you missed it this is imo the best show of 2024 and imo has a lot of comps to GoT/HOTD.
Star Trek Prodigy - all out on netflix, the trailer for skeleton crew makes it seems almost exactly like this show. Lower Decks is also phenomenal and on Paramount+ along with Strange New Worlds
The Orville - I watched s1 but never went past that, recently they've announced its coming back so good time to catch up on s1-3
Demon Slayer, Frieren, Solo Leveling, Delicious in Dungeon are all great animes on crunchroll and/or netflix.

I already watched The Boys (ok but not amazing), Acolyte (bad), and recently rewatched Lost which felt a lot smoother and amazing in binge mode. We whipped through 121 episodes in like 3 weeks lol

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 9 was one of the best episodes ever, the big battle between the Riverlanders and Hightowers/Lannisters was worth waiting all season for.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Man, I had to hide both the HouseOfTheDragon and Freefolk subreddits. Some weird, gross posts rushing to the top there.

From what I saw Freefolk especially is turning more and more into the lastofuspart2(the absolute trashy one) type of subreddit where all they do is complain and go further into some sexist, anti woke complaints etc. shit.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Binged it in the last couple of days. Overall still great television, but I found myself looking at my phone more than I would have liked. Most of the Harrenhall subplot was a right bore, as was Corlys with his sons. The dragon parts were still peak though, as was the writing in the way the parties believably find themselves at opposite ends. Though much like Daenerys in GoT, it's clear you should be favoring Team Black.

Also I fully expect season 3 to start after the big battle.

I was happy at least with the prophecy/Visions. I feel like that's something that this show is really missing. GoT was about court drama and backstabbing, but also about prophecy and supernatural enemies, and mythical creatures. In fact all that winter is coming nicely framed the pettiness of lords vying for a throne. HotD is just a power struggle, and I feel like it's already getting long in the tooth.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Absolute peak season of TV in my opinion. Just bummed as everyone else that HBO/Zaslav cheapened on the order and only gave us 8 instead of 10 episodes. This could have been near flawless otherwise.

generic_orb

Banned
Jun 27, 2024
Just got around to watching the last episode. I think it had a few decent scenes, but they really missed a couple of chances to make this episode feel more consequential.

Specifically I'm thinking of Aemond destroying sharp's point and Aegon escaping the city. Both of these could easily have been dramatic sequences, but they were truncated to the point of being afterthoughts. The entire city was destroyed and we just see Aemond hanging out in the distance afterwards for a few seconds, not even clear on what we're seeing until it is explained by other characters later? And the King, the whole reason for the war, sneaks out of the castle and we don't see any of this process happen and it isn't treated with any gravitas at all. That could've been a sequence, it's pretty important.

Instead there's like...20 minutes of one of the lannister twins flirting with a pirate we've never seen before and probably will see in like, one more scene total, ever.

Then the final montage felt pretty desperate with them using the lannister and stark themes to hype you for the battle despite neither side having any established characters on it at all. It's just branding stuff, empty. They knew they didn't have anything. But the weird thing is, they could've. They just wrote the important parts like they didn't matter for some reason.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I'm half expecting season 3 to open with smoke rising from charred fields.

"T'was a tough battle t'was, the likes wince never be seen again, but somehow the day was won. Huzzah!"

*cut to ball thing being placed on the small council table*

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So I basically only just now finished the season. I wanted to watch along, but got distracted.

What are the best memes I missed as the show was airing? I'm guessing it's a lot of Daemon tripping balls the entire season

Nov 21, 2017
This is likely not the thread to discuss what the source material's author thinks has gone wrong with the show.

Bump the book spoiler thread instead

MANTRA

Feb 21, 2024
I'm hearing a lot of negativity about Season 2. What was the general consensus here by the end of the season? I've only watched episode 1 of season 2 so far and I enjoyed it. Wondering if I am in for a steady decline as I go further.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hearing a lot of negativity about Season 2. What was the general consensus here by the end of the season? I've only watched episode 1 of season 2 so far and I enjoyed it. Wondering if I am in for a steady decline as I go further.

Great season, the character writing and such is as strong as ever, but they forgot to include a climax, season should've been 10 episodes like the first, though even just one additional episode would've sufficed

Aug 29, 2024
I enjoyed it reasonably enough but the folks unhappy with the pace and the liberties taken with the book story are justified in saying so. If the next season doesn't deliver novel payoffs to all the track they've put down there will probably be a rejection of the show similar to what happened to GoT in the later seasons.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't use the word decline, but it isn't a satisfying place to end the season. I'm not a book reader and can't speak for all the reasons of negativity.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Just binged season 2 after not caring to watch for a while.

Some overall impressions:
- the pace slowed down way too much, the show falls into this small council meeting, Rhaenyra arguing with Jace, Rhaenyra plotting with Mysaria, Daemon hallucinating etc. cycle for several episodes and it really gets tiring towards the end
- they didn't do much with Daemon's character, him submitting to Rhaenyra and accepting his place was already wrapped up pretty nicely at the end of Season 1, not sure why they made this his entire character arc this season
- the attempt to connect to the events of GOT didn't really work for me, it was way too on the nose, especially with the visions of Daenerys and the future, and we know the Long Night isn't supposed to begin until after another few hundred years so it feels weird worrying about that now
- I actually couldn't stop laughing at Rhaena abandoning Viserys and Aegon, ROYAL TARGARYEN CHILDREN, who were entrusted in her care by the Queen, just so she could find a dragon who would likely kill her anyway
- Tyland Lannister was delightful and I wish we got more of him, it's very refreshing seeing Lannisters who aren't overly-serious murderous maniacs, I want my man to get a W next season
- Rhaenys went down like a bad bitch and I'm very happy with how her story turned out
- I'm tired of Alicent Hightower, I know she and Rhaenyra are kinda the main characters in that they mirror each other but it's impossible to feel sorry for Alicent, she herself set these events in motion and could've prevented all of it if she really was committed to serving the Realm, that whole selfless duty bullshit she kept pushing was tiring and I'm glad Rhaenyra is always calling her out on it

Overall a mixed bag, I wish I watched this when Season 3 dropped

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to watching season 2 as well.

There were some very good moments, but I agree the pacing was slogging through the mud at times. A lot of Daemon's hallucinations just felt like an excuse to give old Viserys and young Rhaenyra a few cameos. After the 5th hallucination I started to zone off a bit.

But the biggest flaw for me is that this really needed to be 10 episodes. If I were to writeup all my complaints just about all of them would be related to "things just happening abruptly" because they had to squeeze everything in 8 episodes. I wasn't conscious of the total episode count for the season as I was watching, so when the last episode ended, I was like "that was the season finale?" If you removed the ending montage, the last episode did not feel like a finale at all, more like the edge of the climax of the season.

I do hope season 3 gets 10 proper episodes or at least enough episodes to properly tell and pace the story. Also do we have to wait another two years for the next season?

Gods mistress

Sep 6, 2024
I don't reallt get the complaints that it is slow... remember what made GoT so good, it was the slowness before the storm (aka character development).

Oct 26, 2017
I don't reallt get the complaints that it is slow... remember what made GoT so good, it was the slowness before the storm (aka character development).

I think the issue not that it was slow, but that it was slow and monotonous at times. Too many scenes repeated that didn't really move things forward.

That said, depending how S3 shapes up, the slower buildup of S2 could be fine when viewed back to back. But since right now we have to wait two years for things to move forward....the slowness feels more frustrating.