Which side are you on?

• Team Green! (Alicent, Aemond, Otto, etc)

Votes: 35 12.0%
  • Team Black! (Rhaenyra, Daemon, Corlys, etc)

Votes: 256 88.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
Amazing episode but can someone explain what was the plot with Rhaenys, Corlys and his savior? Still confused as to what's going on in that storyline.

The implication was that Rhaenys knows that Corlys has bastards from his seafaring days and she's come to some sort of peace with it. The younger brother also mentioned that Corlys owed them both. At first I couldn't tell if Corlys knew they were his sons or not, but it seems like he does and was keeping it quiet so it didn't embarrass Rhaenys.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I took it as Rhaenys noticing a very curious resemblance and Corlys already knowing who the sailor was before he was saved. After the bar scene last week, I'm thinking that these smallfolk characters that we keep seeing probably share some traits.

I'm guessing is Corlys bastard son

The implication was that Rhaenys knows that Corlys has bastards from his seafaring days and she's come to some sort of peace with it. The younger brother also mentioned that Corlys owed them both. At first I couldn't tell if Corlys knew they were his sons or not, but it seems like he does and was keeping it quiet so it didn't embarrass Rhaenys.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
That was a very exciting and expensive looking episode, hope that doesn't mean the rest of the series will be in dark candle lit rooms like the 1st few episodes have been.

OP
OP
EzekelRAGE

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Did you forget where he was headed?

Coryl's brother went bowling on the floor of the throne room.
No, they talking about the bald dude who seems to be Corlys' bastard possibly having a brother.
dc054355f445d776996cfa63a3f4011e.png

OP
OP
EzekelRAGE

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Eve Best touches on why she turned around.

View: https://x.com/westerosies/status/1810363627595333738
"They're just like boys with guns; they want to maximize the amount of carnage. And there's something very … I don't want to generalize, but, you know, it's very male. Whereas she's very specifically going for the dragon: Let's take out the weaponry, and don't burn everybody else randomly. There's a gritted-teeth-ness about it, because these guys are her nephews, however appallingly badly they've behaved and are behaving and however dangerous they are. Aemond is responsible for Lucerys's death. At the same time, they're her family, too. There was a lot of reluctance and the knowledge that they're effectively pushing the red button. The responsibility of that is so huge that it has to be a kamikaze mission, because how can one live with it? And that sort of samurai thing of when she comes back in — she could have escaped, and she turns around. To me, that's pure whatever she is — Arthurian knight, Lancelot, samurai. It's the noble warrior thinking, No, I'm not just going to save myself. I'm going to finish this."

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
RIP to a real one. Rhaenys the Brave.

She'd probably hate that name.

Maybe Rhaenys the Knows Better.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Historically, is that a case of people not understanding the nature of sperm?

In this universe... with dragons and giants and zombies, I figure someone might have invented something. Even the pull out method. lol

It seems like in this universe, they don't invent jack shit ever.

It's never made sense to me that the level of tech just stays the same no matter how many years go by. Whether it's the time of Aegon the Conqueror, or 200 years later in the time of Rhaenera, or 100 more years after that in the time of GoT, they're just forever stuck in 1600. Nobody ever invents a condom, a light bulb or a firearm. It's just pre-industrial forever. I guess that's what happens when the seasonal cycle lasts 20 years and there's rarely an extended period of peace.

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Loved the episode. The only thing that really bothered me was cheap sneak attack by Vhagar. After an amazing initial brawl I expected Melys/Rhaenys to go out fighting and not just caught by surprise. They deserved better.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
You are correct, it's why she was like seriously? Raise them up you idiot we all know.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I am so mad Rhaenys is dead :(
God please take all of her pain, triple it and give it to Cole

Zombie Jacket

Sep 11, 2023
Still taking it in.

That was peak GOT quality if not more.

Superb direction and pacing all the way right up to the end.

10/10.

So happy we've got this back!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's who I'm talking about. Like the fact he's not dead dead at the end of the episode was frankly eye rolling.

Calling that plot armor when the choices are either him being dead or being physically unfit to rule (which the remaining characters will take advantage of either way), on top of him having lost his dragon, hardly makes sense

Plot armor would be like if he was largely unscathed, which is certainly not the case

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Calling that plot armor when the choices are either him being dead or being physically unfit to rule (which the remaining characters will take advantage of either way), on top of him having lost his dragon, hardly makes sense

Plot armor would be like if he was largely unscathed, which is certainly not the case
I guess my read of that last scene wasn't very generous and I'll be okay if he croaks afterwards, but that scene gave me whiplash because I had already written him off tbh.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Dusts himself off at the start of the episode. "Whew, that was close! Totalled my ride! Can I get a ride home, bro?"
Shoves his entrails back into his body

"Huh, how'd that get out there? Anyway…"

I guess my read of that last scene wasn't very generous and I'll be okay if he croaks afterwards, but that scene gave me whiplash because I had already written him off tbh.
Did you miss Cole stopping Aemond from putting him out of his misery?

Jun 11, 2023
No spoiler policy yet everyone comments on the preview that isn't shown outside the US. Thanks everyone.

Excellent episode though, knew it would be a great one with Taylor directing.

abellwillring

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Rhaenys strapped in the seatbelt before going back in, she knew she was ride or die with her dragon at that point lol.
There was a little discussion about this in the official pod. Alan Taylor (episode director) praised the propmaster for coming up with the design and implementation of that. Basically wanted it to reflect that it was go time.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like in this universe, they don't invent jack shit ever.

It's never made sense to me that the level of tech just stays the same no matter how many years go by. Whether it's the time of Aegon the Conqueror, or 200 years later in the time of Rhaenera, or 100 more years after that in the time of GoT, they're just forever stuck in 1600. Nobody ever invents a condom, a light bulb or a firearm. It's just pre-industrial forever. I guess that's what happens when the seasonal cycle lasts 20 years and there's rarely an extended period of peace.

This isn't strictly a book or a show thing, but I believe GRRM has said in the past that he imagines that gunpowder isn't possible in the world he wrote for whatever reason. Gunpowder accelerated our own technological advancement and because of its absence (combined with having magic and dragons to help take care of more of what was needed for hundreds of years) things just stalled.