Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that all the people in here thought it wasn't going to have this.

Right? It's a mobile game of course there is gonna be some kind tom foolery.

That being said, as long as you can beat the game without purchasing anything, I'm all for it.

I've never been this excited for a mobile game in a while.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
lol yeah hard to be shocked by this. I would pay a decent amount of money (like $40) to have a version of this game without gacha mechanics even if it meant not getting certain rare weapons reserved for the gacha version. I guess they would rather find their whales than take my $40 though.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That was inevitable. At least characters are probably free

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So I guess there's no hope for a Steam release...

Seriously what did you expect? The game to be Free? SMH

Seriously this is the best we could hope for. There is the possibility to play this game completely for free, i played some gacha games before and never had to sepnd a dime to complete the story missions.

I was 100% expecting it to be a paid game (maybe with 2 free chapters or so)

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I don't recall having an affinity for any particular weapon in the original, so I'm not sure how this is meant to create friction to entice people like me. I would be fine to go through the whole story with the Buster Sword.
Historically-speaking, the game probably won't be beatable with default weapons.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Gawd

Its like compilation of FF7 all over again

Literally history repeating itself

I think I am just a fan of OG FF7 and am gonna move on. Now I definitely do not want them to touch FF6 at this point

Hopefully the talent that makes the kind of games I can actually enjoy are working on FF16

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is the Opera Omnia route which is admittedly far better than the gacha character route.

I figured this'd be the scope and scale of it when it was announced, FFVII is a massive game, they'd never remake all of those assets and mechanics for a mobile game. The best we could hope for in terms of a traditional game is that they re-use the assets for something else later, but I doubt it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Gacha you can spend money on should be illegal.

There i said it.

I'll still play it tho...

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely fine with this. The story content is free, and the weapons very well could be easy enough to get for free to complete the story. For example, I've never spent a cent on Dissidia mobile.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I reckon that's to be expected in line with the grand order of mobile games these days

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Its sad that people think that there isnt anything between Free and a weapon gacha system nowadays lol.

It's a mobile game. You can count the mobile games you have to buy on two hands i guess. Every other is Free to Play with some kind of ingame monetization. It's basically the only way to let people play your game on mobile. If it's not free, nonone cares.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Gacha, I can take it. Now, if they have a goddamn daily stamina/energy system in there I'm gonna scream.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall having an affinity for any particular weapon in the original, so I'm not sure how this is meant to create friction to entice people like me. I would be fine to go through the whole story with the Buster Sword.

This is a gacha, so what will happen is that you can't simply progress the story (due to being underleveled) unless you pay up cash for the newest weapons.

It was really awful in Kingdom Hearts UX during the peak years. In order to get the newest gear on offer, you would need to pay at least 200 dollars to get a guaranteed one copy of it. And then you needed seven copies of said weapon medal to make it worth-while...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's a mobile game. You can count the mobile games you have to buy on two hands i guess. Every other is Free to Play with some kind of ingame monetization. It's basically the only way to let people play your game on mobile. If it's not free, nonone cares.
Oh i know, its just that im not a fan of weapon gacha systems.An especially for this kind of retelling of the whole FF7 story arc i kinda had hoped they would just let people buy new chapters with the initial one being free.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Actually don't mind this

Been playing Final Fantasy Record Keeper since 2014 and it's pretty much the same set up

Story free but equipment being part of a gacha

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Oh i know, its just that im not a fan of weapon gacha systems.An especially for this kind of retelling of the whole FF7 story arc i kinda had hoped they would just let people buy new chapters with the initial one being free.

I understand that, me neither. But at least it's nota character Gacha where you can roll shit like Auron or Noctis. I'm pretty sure they will use weapons that exist in other FFs though.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Lmao. Okay then. I'd still want this one on PC/Switch when it's finished and without the bullshit mobile elements, but I'll be skipping it entirely otherwise.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
MIAzQG8.gif

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
yeah, monkey paw's at its finest.
will this be Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes no?

still, i'm hyped once the full thing is out and on consoles :)

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Right? It's a mobile game of course there is gonna be some kind tom foolery.

That being said, as long as you can beat the game without purchasing anything, I'm all for it.

I've never been this excited for a mobile game in a while.
If that was true, nobody would spend money and then why put a gacha system in the first place.
I'd be cautious about this.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yeah. Anyone with any bit of a clue knew there was going to be some catch to the game. Square was never going to release a full fledge traditional RPG on mobile with the scope you see in the normal Final Fantasy games.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
having spent way too much fucking money on gacha, with even more spent in the past three months, and trying to break this all I can think is.

I'm not playing this now, thanks SE. I would have bought it, but I'm not going to go down that slot machine again.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
So what will it be, varying number of material slots, slot links and attack values? So maybe you can roll a buster sword that is equal to the Ultima weapon? If decent weapons good enough to finish the game with are available it's just extra. If you get stuck in the game because you didn't roll a good enough weapon that will suck big time.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Disgusting. I see Square has no qualms about enabling harmful behavior with gambling mechanics.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
And I think the game will make banger on the money with this. Is it a practice I hate? Sure. But hey ya know, Genshin Impact is gacha and I love playing the game. Even put down some money to get some characters I really wanted. (Oh shit, do not do this SE!)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
As someone who really doesn't have the spending money to buy an episodic Square game, this may get me to actually play the game if it ever comes to PC.