• Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Wait WHAT.

What half? Do you mean only Dune and not Messiah? Or half of the first book itself?
You're only getting the first half of the first book, and there's like 0.1% this's getting a sequel. Followed by Hollywood thinking the ip is not worth it, and it not getting another adaptation for like another 20 years at least. But hey we're a getting a movie by Denis so yay.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I still think you could easily fit book 3 of Dune and Dune Messiah into "Part II." And it would probably be better for it.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I still think you could easily fit book 3 of Dune and Dune Messiah into "Part II." And it would probably be better for it.
100% that is what they should do. The Prophet is less than a third of Dune's total length and Messiah is much shorter than the first book. Dramatically, I think the jump forward midway through the film could also be really, really effective... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Part 2 is by no means guaranteed.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
100% that is what they should do. The Prophet is less than a third of Dune's total length and Messiah is much shorter than the first book. Dramatically, I think the jump forward midway through the film could also be really, really effective... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Part 2 is by no means guaranteed.

Not to mention that Messiah is the actual ending to that storyline, but yeah, that's even assuming we get a Part II.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're only getting the first half of the first book, and there's like 0.1% this's getting a sequel. Followed by Hollywood thinking the ip is not worth it, and it not getting another adaptation for like another 20 years at least. But hey we're a getting a movie by Denis so yay.
The odds of this getting a sequel are higher than those of it not getting one. I think the worst possible scenario is that the sequel has a smaller budget. But with HBO Max in need of subscribers, a Dune sequel makes a lot of sense.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
The odds of this getting a sequel are higher than those of it not getting one. I think the worst possible scenario is that the sequel has a smaller budget. But with HBO Max in need of subscribers, a Dune sequel makes a lot of sense.

I still think a Part II is more likely than a lot of people give it credit for. At least from what I've seen, there is far more mainstream interest in this than there ever was for Blade Runner. It's far from guaranteed, however.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so, but Warner/discovery won't spend another quarter of a billion on something that didn't get them a fuck ton of new subs especially when it's a 2 hour movie not a 10 episode tv show that could hold subs a lot longer.

Even with this cast and Denis behind it, I find it hard to believe a sci fi movie without Marvel or Christopher Nolan names attached to it can become big enough to justify this cost.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation

I disagree. Not just because Frank Herbert did not elaborate too much on the final battle for Arrakis and that deserves the full attention of the second film, but Messiah starts 12 years after the end of Dune. The context switching is enormous, many characters exhibit significant changes. I don't disagree when people think they should have been one book, but they can't be one film.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm seeing a lot of 'otherworldly', 'alien' being thrown around for the musical score, seems like there's a general agreement of it being very unique. Also confirmed to be part of the near 3-minute trailer tomorrow. From IGN preview:

"Zimmer has definitely shown range in the past, but the music of Dune feels like a new leap for him. He's openly talked about it being his wildest project yet, and having heard the music, he might be right.

The music of Dune feels somewhat recognizable yet otherworldly in every sense of the word. Falling in line with Villeneuve's vision for framing this an epic, Zimmer's score feels as if it comes from the stuff of legends. Zimmer himself explained his process, taking tools found in ancient music (such as trumpets and horns) and finding a way to make them feel alien. This sense of familiarity is elevated by the use of operatic singers. We're allowed to recognize it enough while still being swept away to a new place, one full of taboo. Frankly, it's the most exciting work Zimmer has presented in a while, and could once again, see him as a major threat in the next awards season."

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel confident we're getting a second movie. Anyway, excited for the trailer!

Last edited:

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
So... what about this option for part 2? It does ok in theatres... say 250-300 million worldwide, but absolutely cleans up in award season. Oscar nominations and wins, best actor, actress, director, film, etc. Every actor involved is raving about what Denis has made. Could that be our 2nd path to a sequel? It would definitely rebuild the hype I think.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So... what about this option for part 2? It does ok in theatres... say 250-300 million worldwide, but absolutely cleans up in award season. Oscar nominations and wins, best actor, actress, director, film, etc. Every actor involved is raving about what Denis has made. Could that be our 2nd path to a sequel? It would definitely rebuild the hype I think.

If Dune is a critical rave and even manages to be an awards darling, that will certainly help its chances. Especially as WB is depserate for HBO Max content that are "must-subscribes." If the 45-day theatrical window holds true, then box office reciepts won't be the only measure of success for big tentpole movies. We'll see how this first film does both at the BO but also how it drives subscriber growth to Max (especially since it is hitting streaming day-and-date).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of 'otherworldly', 'alien' being thrown around for the musical score, seems like there's a general agreement of it being very unique. Also confirmed to be part of the near 3-minute trailer tomorrow. From IGN preview:

"Zimmer has definitely shown range in the past, but the music of Dune feels like a new leap for him. He's openly talked about it being his wildest project yet, and having heard the music, he might be right.

The music of Dune feels somewhat recognizable yet otherworldly in every sense of the word. Falling in line with Villeneuve's vision for framing this an epic, Zimmer's score feels as if it comes from the stuff of legends. Zimmer himself explained his process, taking tools found in ancient music (such as trumpets and horns) and finding a way to make them feel alien. This sense of familiarity is elevated by the use of operatic singers. We're allowed to recognize it enough while still being swept away to a new place, one full of taboo. Frankly, it's the most exciting work Zimmer has presented in a while, and could once again, see him as a major threat in the next awards season."
based /tv/ crossposter

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Messiah is comparably shorter but it is a very dense read. There is so much prescient shit going on you need a full movie to capture the detail and ideas. I'd hate for it to be truncated into less than the sum of it's parts.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Dune Messiah could be a good late sequel that can be done a decade down the road after part 2. Surviving characters will age naturally pretty much 1:1 with the books across all three films.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Messiah is comparably shorter but it is a very dense read. There is so much prescient shit going on you need a full movie to capture the detail and ideas. I'd hate for it to be truncated into less than the sum of it's parts.

Good point.

Dune Messiah could be a good late sequel that can be done a decade down the road after part 2. Surviving characters will age naturally pretty much 1:1 with the books across all three films.

But remember that most major characters are dependent on Melange in that time gap, and thus they don't physically age as much as they would in real life (Alia aside, of course).

Oct 27, 2017
The preview was siick. I think there was an audible groan in the theater when the footage cut off, even though we all knew it would. Thankfully they showed 2 clips. Can't wait to see it in full

Zimmer flat out said he made new instruments for the score

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I saw the preview. First ten minutes plus tenish minute scene elsewhere. Absolutely incredible top to bottom. Score is mind fucking blowing.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Here's a summary of the Imax footage I saw on reddit... did that madman actually do it?? It sounds amazing.
Here's my summary. Trying to cover details I haven't seen elsewhere.

1. Starts with Chani talking about how beautiful Arrakis is at sunset. Then says that's when the oppressors come to steal their resources from right in front of them. We see maybe my favorite shot, the flaming inlet of a bug like harkonnen harvester. All the while, fremen are watching from afar. Suddenly fremen spring from the sand like a fish and stab the masked harkonnen soldiers. The distant fremen shoot lasers at the harvester. The harvester bombs the fremen. Chani and others retreat and she says suddenly the harkonnens left at the emperor's behest and no one knows his motivations. She ponders "who will our next oppressors be?"

2. Cut to Paul waking up with rain on the windows (great touch). He has slight glimpses of Chani. Gets up and goes to breakfast. Jessica tells him they must be in full dress for the imperial visit. Paul asks why they need to do this when it's all official already. Jessica says something to the effect of "ceremony." Paul actually responds in an understanding rather than dismissive way. Clearly he is being taught the nuances of politicing and is learning. He asks for the water. Jessica tells him to use the voice. He fails once, then makes pretty intense eye contact. Shots linger on both their eyes quite extensively. Helps convey the interpersonal power exchange that is about to occur. He uses the voice and it's basically quiet, then after some delay, a slightly submerged but resounding voice hits. It's semi-effevtive, but Jessica overpowers it because of her skills. She tells him bene Gesserit training takes years.

3. Cut to a heighliner. Long, conical, similar to many designs we've seen. Small sphere flies out. Lands and it's a giant orb. Ramp unfolds and it's about the size of 2 tennis courts. They walk out and it's one unmasked representative of the emperor, some imperial people(?) in black masks and white clothing. Not dissimilar looking helmets to something you'd see in No Man's Sky. Then on the right is a bunch of guild reps. They have golden orange helmets instead. Probably spice atmosphere inside. Only the main guy speaks and announces the atreides are to take over Dune. Asks of they accept. Leto gives a shpiel about how the atreides always answer the call. Pretty good stuff. Meanwhile, they also brought along a Bene Gesserit. Jessica is freaking the fuck out about it (subtly). She see that the BG recognized she had a son instead of a daughter. Makes it clear she is scared of the BG woman, but unclear to the audience why. They exchange glances/glares. Atreides troops yell atreides. Inspiring stuff. Also hawat does some calculation in his head and his eyes like literally go up so all you see is the whites of his eyes. Pretty freaky.

4. Harvester scene: approaching harvester. Less exciting design than the harkonnen one. Leftover shoddy equipment presumably. Carryall is called in. Kynes is explaining how it all works. Leto sees wormsign before the drones or kynes do. Kynes is impressed. Carryall arrives but one of the grapple arms fails. Leto orders his people down to rescue the people. Kynes says they would lose the spice and Leto says fuck the spice and kynes gives him a subtle but impressed look that he didn't see. Clearly she sees he is different. They land and start rescuing people. Paul runs out to try to direct people to the thopters. A spice cloud hits him and he is incapacitated. Lots of voices. Only clear word was "awaken." Wonder if there were prescient scenes cut out or what, but suddenly he's sitting at the base of the harvester as the worm is basically there. Gurney shows up and Paul says without turning "I recognized your footsteps old man." They run towards the thopter, but the sand becomes fluid like in that one Mark Rober because of the vibrations making it less dense. They sink a bit but eventually get to the thopter just as the harvester is eaten. That's it.

Only small glimpses of the harkonnens in the trailer. A few shots of rabban and a glimpse or two of the baron and like one second of piter.

I was blown away by the production design. The scale of the ships and the sets is astounding. Costume design is great between the formal uniforms, the combat suits, etc. Combat looks super cool. Both shielded combat and the fremen surprise attacks are super badass. Really can't wait. I tried to be super thorough. Ask any questions you have.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/comme...medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I had a ticket for the showing tonight but I couldn't make it. Super bummed now that they showed a lot of a footage and plus the trailer. That said, I'm very pleased to hear people like it. Can't wait for this movie in the coming months.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Anyone know when they are dropping the trailer?
Early in the morning perhaps?
swwjltK.jpg

So in about 5 hours?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I recently got into Dune by listening to the 20+ hour audio book on my commute. It has like 50 chapters and was split into three books. I believe Dune Messiah is separate from what I listened to?

So is the movie like the book 1 & 2 of what I listened to?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
I recently got into Dune by listening to the 20+ hour audio book on my commute. It has like 50 chapters and was split into three books. I believe Dune Messiah is separate from what I listened to?

Probably the movie is equal to audio-book 1 + half of 2.
The second movie will include remainder of audio-book 2 + 3.
You can spoiler-text how it ends and we can tell if you if it includes Messiah or not (likely not).

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Dune, the original novel, is split into 3 'books'. Rumour has it the movie ends more or less at the end of book 1, leaving most of book 2 and 3 for the second movie.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
I have read Dune multiple times but I can't remember it actually being split up in three parts. There's just a story aspect half-way into the book that would service really well as the end of one film and what follows to be a second film (hence Villeneuve's decision to do it justice that way).

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I really hope so, but Warner/discovery won't spend another quarter of a billion on something that didn't get them a fuck ton of new subs especially when it's a 2 hour movie not a 10 episode tv show that could hold subs a lot longer.

Even with this cast and Denis behind it, I find it hard to believe a sci fi movie without Marvel or Christopher Nolan names attached to it can become big enough to justify this cost.
this is mostly funded by Legendary, not WB. WB kicked in a small amount of money but are primarily distributors on this, not production. hence this is the film that caused the biggest stink around the HBO Max stuff, because it's not really WB's film but WB decided to put it on their streaming service regardless.

it's also wasn't that expensive, much less expensive than BR2049. more in the region of $150 mil to BR's $240 mil or so.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I have read Dune multiple times but I can't remember it actually being split up in three parts. There's just a story aspect half-way into the book that would service really well as the end of one film and what follows to be a second film (hence Villeneuve's decision to do it justice that way).
In my Kindle version, it's split into three parts but the chapter numbers don't reset. "Book 2" starting with chapter 20 or something. Totally pointless, except for justifying the leaps in time.