• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Arkham City is better than all the other Arkham Games (although I like Asylum and Knight) and better than Spider-man. I think Spider-man was a blast but it did nothing new, it was just prettier and the writing was just meh. I think if you read a lot of comic books especially weekly readers it is nothing that hasn't been done before and better. I need more from a next-gen Spiderman than Spiderman 2 but prettier to claim it dethroned Arkham let alone the infamous games which were funner and more interesting to me.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Nah. Asylum and City have well thought-out level design, Metroidvania-esque progression that opens new bits of the world up satisfyingly as the game progresses and you gain new abilities, and skillfully executed challenge modes that add a lot of replayability post-game. Spider-man is a just a long string of unfulfilling, interchangable monster closet enemy encounters with very little flow or reward in its progression past advancing the story, and a bunch of challenges that seem novel at first but quickly become a bunch of busywork you begrudgingly do to check the boxes off a checklist, not because you really wanna do them.

I mean, I like Spider-man overall, and the presentation is undoubtedly phenomenal, but the actual meat of the game is very shallow and repetitive. One warehouse of goons the game gives you to clear out is almost entirely indiscernable from the next warehouse of goons the game gives you, which was not the case in the Arkham series' encounters.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
enjoyable, sure, but the best ?
It certainly is not better than XMen COTA or Marvel Super Heroes by capcom in my book...

msh_au1en0.png
xmencota-s152eddb.png

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Ultimate destruction was my benchmark for a long time but the new Spidey beats it out for me(haven't played Arkham Knight).

Eh, I love Spider-Man but it has too much annoying shit that I'm sure was added because "everyone else was doing it" like Bumming around a homeless shelter, poking around for hidden electric panels in the walls to pointlessly pad out the mission, doing shitty stealth sections with Spider-man, doing shitty stealth sections with a guy who's not Spider-man yet, doing shitty stealth sections with someone who will never be Spider-man, solviing circuit puzzles... Can I just get back to swinging around and punching dudes, please? That part was fun.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
enjoyable, sure, but the best ?
It certainly is not better than XMen COTA or Marvel Super Heroes by capcom in my book...

msh_au1en0.png
xmencota-s152eddb.png
I always hope for a day where we get a non fighting game that has Captain America using that massive proton cannon. It's so dam ridiculous

Eh, I love Spider-Man but it has too much annoying shit that I'm sure was added because "everyone else was doing it" like Bumming around a homeless shelter, poking around for hidden electric panels in the walls to pointlessly pad out the mission, doing shitty stealth sections with Spider-man, doing shitty stealth sections with a guy who's not Spider-man yet, doing shitty stealth sections with someone who will never be Spider-man, solviing circuit puzzles... Can I just get back to swinging around and punching dudes, please? That part was fun.
I found those to be good breathers in between all the action in the story. It'll definitely be the part of the game that ages the worst overall as time goes on.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
it's better than Knight and Origins but not quite on the level of City and Ayslum. the sequel could be though.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I love spidey but the fact we are forced to play as mj and miles takes off huge points for me. Also not a fan of how the sequel will more than likely take away from playing as Pete for miles. Also the villain designs in this game were ugly as sin.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed this thread. While I agree that Spider-Man PS4 is an awesome open world super hero game, I think the Batman games did a few things a lot better. The main thing being the side quests. I haven't finished Spider-Man yet, but my biggest complaint has been the lack of compelling side quests, aside from the one with the blue marker/waypoint.

Batman had some amazing side content. The Season of infamy side quests were actually better than most of the main game in Arkham Knight. I know it's not fair to compare dlc to a main game, but those were some great side quests.

Also, the forced stealth missions of Spider-Man were pretty annoying and not having Spider-Man's abilities really hurt them.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's a much better game than Asylum, with a final boss fight that's far better, although Asylum has better atmosphere.

And it's got a much better open world and better writing than City.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm not finished it yet but whilst it's extremely close, Asylum still had the edge. Not being quite as good as AA is nothing to be ashamed about though.

gow3isben

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Spiderman PS4 is the best superhero game of all time, one of the best PS4 games, and a true classic. Classics don't need to reinvent they can also just be incredibly good at what they do. They don't have to be perfect either.

The sequel can easily be one of the best games of all time if they really cut down on the collectathon basic open world activities and focus more on varied meaningful side quest.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Finished it some days ago and I don`t agree.
But it`s still a very good game imo.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rank it behind asylum but ahead of the others. I quite liked it. The way the villains get strung in at the end though is a bit hokey.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say that at all. I really enjoy Spider-Man, but the way the story is presented and how the general game plays out... I'd have to give the nod to Batman.

It could be that I know that universe of villains better, but Spider-Man has really made me want a new Batman game. Really have enjoyed my time with Spider-Man though.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum'd Spider-Man, but literally every single thing in the game that wasn't the main story (all of that side-stuff except the bases) was just the most bland game design you could possibly imagine and even the story with the MJ/Miles mission those were awful, and the "hey let's go to the shelter and do nothing" missions were just forced time wasting. I feel like you have to factor all that in when you weigh in on the good it did and with that said it leaves me feeling like the game is a bit overrated. If the traversal stuff wasn't so fun to mess around with, I don't think I could've put myself through even 1/4th of the side mission map filler stuff.

That said, I don't think it's as good as Asylum.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I immediately started an arkham city playthrough after finishing Spider-Man. Mostly because they're both extremely fun and extremely similar games and I'm in a super hero mood. Been rewatching all the MCU lately as well.

I think that Spider-Man and arkham games are in league with each other. The each have pros and cons. Some strengths where the other lacks, etc.

I cannot say that Spider-Man is definitively better. Arkham series and the new Spider-Man are amazing games.

As someone going through a super hero obsessed phase, it's amazing to have all these games and movies at my disposal.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the minority about side missions, random things to do.

I actually like them.

Thinking about another game that IMO had dull side missions, Sleeping Dogs, Spider Man isn't that bad. The thug encounters are similar but just seems better in Spider Man.

I just wish I could stealth more encounters. So far it seems only main missions and hideouts can be stealth.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man's traversal and combat are way better. Both take their share of influence from Batman, but both have Spidey's crazy fun abilities to elevate them. The gadgets in Spidey are a bit better as well.

Presentation and production value aren't even fair to compare. Spider-Man is on a tier occupied by so very few other games. Sony dumped a crazy amount if money into the thing.

That said, it's hard not to call me away feeling like Spider-Man is Spider-Arkham. It cribs a ton from the Batman playbook and innovates very little. So I think it's fair to say Arkham would leave the bigger impression, but I still think if you play them side by side and don't factor in their age, Spider-Man is clearly the better experience.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman 2 might be something special, but it's not close to Arkham Asylum or City yet. The combat and predator sequences in those games are so good, Spidey's stealth is very shallow and the combat doesn't hit the same highs a giant single combo room clear in batman does.

Then the side content and random stuff like the sections you play as not-spiderman just hurt it more in comparison. The main story has really odd pacing as well.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Not at all the side content was embarrassing. Basically a time waster phone game besides the main story.

The main story in little ways used Uncharted formula a little much. The way they argued and Peter saying no no no no just like Drake in spots.

Besides the character and the money they spent. This is pretty cookie cutter. Reviewers must want Sony access.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Spiderman is in many ways a homage to the Arkham games with it's own unique twists.

Both great games (hopefully series)....that said for me Asylum remains peak Arkham...it was and is a spectacularly designed and paced game.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Playing Spiderman has actually helped me appreciate even more how incredible a feat the development of Arkham Asylum was. Both great games, but Spiderman takes a lot of inspiration from the former.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm yet to finish Spiderman (I'm more than 85% into the game though), but I think that Arkham Asylum/City are far better games.

Bosses, side content, stealth, and puzzles are really really worse in Spiderman. Combat is better and less limited, but the enemy variety is really lacking. Traversal is far better though, and I'm liking the story of Spiderman a lot more, even if the villain characters are not as charismatic as Batman villains.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Spiderman has a great first impression but the garbage stealth gameplay, uninteresting story side content and general 'Ubisoft' open world design push it way down. Arkham City was a solid 9/10 for me, Spiderman was a 7 at best.