Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
It's far and away better than every Arkham game, especially Knight.

It controls better, feels better, looks better, has better set-pieces, better plot, better traversal, better collectibles AND there's no $40-$50 season pass where all the systems in previous games are nickel and dimed to you.

Not to mention Spider-Man is just a better character than Batman.

I like the game but no.. Batman is just infinitely cooler. Everything Batman does instantly becomes iconic for a reason. Also his villains are way way cooler too.

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't finished Spidey yet but it's not as good as first two arkhams. I enjoy the level design, combat and stealth better in those games. Spidey is still good though

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely on the right track but it doesn't quite hit the same level. I love all the attention to details and how well it realizes the spiderman world, it also nails the swinging and the grand set pieces that look like they could be from one of the movies. Where it lacks is imo the combat which could have used a tiny bit more variety (It's still a lot better than previous spiderman games though) and the stealth gameplay which compared to arkham feels quite weak. What I would have also loved to see would have been more meaningful gadgets that aren't only useful in combat. Also would have been great to see some environmental/traversal puzzles to mix things up but that's probably a bit more complicated to do with a hero who can jump 20 meters and crawl on walls.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only about halfway through the game, but Spiderman seems way more casual of a experience vs the Arkham series. By no means do I imply anything negative by that, it's almost the perfect game for me to unwind to for an hour after work.

I'm playing on hard and while the combat is satisfying and fun, it feels somewhat mindless and never presents much of a challenge. I have the middle and right most skill trees almost maxed out and feel super overpowered right now.

The stealth sections are pretty much ripped right out of Arkham, but feel way more simplified and forgiving.

Collectibles are also trivial, just set your waypoint and travel to the exact location presents no challenge whatsoever.

That being said, I'm probably having much more fun with Spiderman than I ever did with the Arkham games. It's up there with Sunset Overdrive in terms of having the best open world traversal mechanics.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think Batman innovated in way more areas than Spiderman, which gives Batman a plus.

But Spiderman improves most of these things doing better almost everything and removes many annoying parts like the car missions, or balances them more giving them the proper length or number of missions of each time: in some mission types Batman had a huge number of them making them too repetitive, or where too long in addition to add some new cool stuff.

So I think Batman is more innovative and Spiderman more polished, no clear winner for me. Both are masterpieces that make you feel like this superhero. In my case my favorite superhero game was Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Batman does stealth better, and the setting and characters are all obviously way cooler, but other than that I was way more impressed with Spider-Man than I have been with any of the Arkham games. They really nailed web swinging.

Oct 25, 2017
Having beaten the game, I do. I think it handles the chatacter, the story, the world and combat better. The Arkham games are fantastic because they really make you feel like Batman, but the surrounding world really isn't up to par as much as the character himself.

LemonLime

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
By a long shot! I got so sucked into Spider-Man that I beat it in one sitting... can't say the same for thr Arkham games...

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Everyone in this thread should just accept that this is a subjective topic and speaking about it objectively is silly.

Spider-Man will likely end up being more successful, though.

For me personally, I had more fun with Spider-Man than I did with Batman, but I think that boils down to the speed of combat and traversal, more than anything else.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the core game more(especially story wise I def went through a higher variety of emotions during it) when comparing it to arkham city(never played knight cause it was a mess on pc). I think the sidestuff felt just a bit too combat focused balance wise, but you can just gloss over it cause movement alone in the world is a 10/10 you don't even care about doing all these collectable things. I'm not sure anymore if arkham city maybe was as bad with variety and I just don't remember it as well but the take I went away with for spidey was I'm totally ok with this for the first game but it is something I hope see improved on for the sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really close but outside of combat and swinging around the city, the controls feel off. Stealth mechanics are just not good and I find myself jumping to a spot I didn't want to be in and getting caught half the time. Stealth mechanics in the Arkham games are leagues better than this one.

But luckily those are small portions of the game. So overall travel is some of the best open world mechanics I've used. It definitely is an amazing swinging mechanic. I love how it feels zipping around the city.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Give it 6 months. It is too close to launch, but I am going to say no.

The swinging definitely makes it hard since it was so much fun, but overall it was a very generic open world game in an age of fatigue(at least for me).

I loved it and would rate it high but would not say it surpassed Batman Arkham City

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I like the game but no.. Batman is just infinitely cooler. Everything Batman does instantly becomes iconic for a reason. Also his villains are way way cooler too.

Imagine thinking an emo whiny rich kid is cooler than Spider-Man.

I'm only about halfway through the game, but Spiderman seems way more casual of a experience vs the Arkham series. By no means do I imply anything negative by that, it's almost the perfect game for me to unwind to for an hour after work.

I'm playing on hard and while the combat is satisfying and fun, it feels somewhat mindless and never presents much of a challenge. I have the middle and right most skill trees almost maxed out and feel super overpowered right now.

The stealth sections are pretty much ripped right out of Arkham, but feel way more simplified and forgiving.

Collectibles are also trivial, just set your waypoint and travel to the exact location presents no challenge whatsoever.

That being said, I'm probably having much more fun with Spiderman than I ever did with the Arkham games. It's up there with Sunset Overdrive in terms of having the best open world traversal mechanics.

This is fascinating. I don't know that I agree, at the beginning of the game. Took me a few minutes, but once I got used to Batman combat it was pretty easy. I died fighting the first boss in Spider-Man lol.

JoduanER2

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nope, the City and Asylum are still the kings for me, specially City... had soo much fun with that game. Spiderman PS4 is amazing, but not every enemy encounter is as carefully thought out as the ones you find in City. Knight was disappointing in that department.

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
After beating Spider-Man a few days ago, I'm gonna say "NO". I think the 3 main Arkham titles (Asylum, City and Knight) are all better than Spider-Man, but I do think Insominac made a good game that they just need to build upon.

Some of the things that really dragged with Spider-Man was the MJ/Miles sections. I understand what they were going for, and it is nice to play as MJ/Miles, but it hurts the pacing and it just isn't fun to play. The side-missions are fairly lackluster, and while the stealth is acceptable, it is still not better then the stealth in Asylum, a game that came out 9 years ago.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Still need to do the last fight, but I would say yes.

There are still some faults but one aspect I loved was the boss fights. Great set pieces and simple but fun mechanics.

I've never really enjoyed most of the boss fights in the Arkham games outside of a couple of the more interesting ones.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Imagine thinking an emo whiny rich kid is cooler than Spider-Man.

This is fascinating. I don't know that I agree, at the beginning of the game. Took me a few minutes, but once I got used to Batman combat it was pretty easy. I died fighting the first boss in Spider-Man lol.

What an absolutely idiotic and simplistic view of looking at one of the most iconic super heroes who was there before Spiderman and will be there after him.

Just imagine.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Batman Arkham City is the best super hero game based on DC universe, Batman Arkham Knight is the best looking open world super hero game based on DC universe, Spider-Man by Insomniac Games is the best looking best playing overall best open world superhero game based on the Marvel Universe. While I enjoyed Batman Arkham Knight a lot(despite it's super disappointing lack of boss battles, batmobile segments which replaced what could have been meaningful boss encounters with characters), Spider-Man has been amazing so far with never a dull moment.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Batman: Arkham Asylum still reigns supreme in my eyes.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Spider-Man is about on par with Arkham Origins for me which I realize might be an inflammatory statement around these parts but I really liked Origins. City is still the better game for me.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played it yet but from what I've seen alone I'm sure it's better than City and Knight. Playing those felt like a chore (especially Knight, ugh). Asylum is the one to beat.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Batman: Arkham Asylum has a special place in my heart, but Spider-Man has no Mutant-Titan-Joker-Moment so... a draw for now, because of the weaker side content. Let's see what a possible Spider-Man sequel brings to the table.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What an absolutely idiotic and simplistic view of looking at one of the most iconic super heroes who was there before Spiderman and will be there after him.

Just imagine.

I was having a wind up, mate. Granted, I do think Batman's not nearly as cool as you obviously seem to think he is. I also think he's overhyped and overexposed, and the Arkham quadrology has one great game, one good game and one game I don't care very much for, and the safest franchise ending game I've ever seen. And every character in Batman's world is more compelling and less shoved down my throat. (Also Spider-Man embarrasses Batman in the costumes, but I'm gonna let Rocksteady off the hook a little 'cause I'm sure they were designing Knight for PS3 at first.)

Also the bolded is...well....nah, fam. None of these guys are going anywhere. Certainly not Spider-Man, who might actually be the most popular superhero there is.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I prefer the spider man ps4 game over the arkham games but honestly i think a lot that has to do with aesthetic. i prefer the bright, colorful manhattan over dark and dreary gotham.

EthanKart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really don't like the story in Spider-Man. The pacing is all over the place and it jumps around too much. Also, kinda not into the characterization either. I dont think I like how they portray the relationship between Peter and MJ or his aunt. The story hasn't clicked with me yet. And all of the side quests are lame. Some of the main story quests have some really cool and fun set pieces though.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Arkham Asylum is really really good, especially for a game almost 10 years old... but Spidey has definitely taken the crown. The traversal/combat is much more fun to me (despite it obviously taking ideas from Arkham) and I like the characters & mission variety much more.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel vs DC thread, lol.

Both games are great but overall I'd say Arkham Asylum did more at the time. It may still be on throne but there's no way I will be replaying it any time soon.
Spider-Man tho. Looking forward to replay it with New Game+.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little unfair since Asylum was the best Batman game and is many years old.

Spider-man has dethroned it due to the world, story, unlockables but if someone preferred Batman, I wouldn't be upset. I do think Spider-man is way better than City, Origins and Knight though.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
The first Arkham game is stil the best superhero game imo thanks to the nature of it NOT being open world...but this spiderman game is a good runner up

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nah, Arkham city and asylum are perfect games to myself.

Spider-Man 2 could hit that level it just needs more variation and depth in the side content.

Deleted member 36749

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
Story's not as good..games a little to repetitive, and at no point did I really feel a challenge, even in hard. Easiest game to get plat on

A good game with a strong foundation, but i think the hype around it has some of us really overreacting. This game reminds me of Assassins Creed 1....good game with some amazing ideas and all but since of them are executed horribly.

The Miles and Mary J parts had me wishing they would've just been comic book style drawn cut scenes in out between the missions.

And the villains were used horribly. The fights with them LOOKED AMAZING...but they felt horrible...I forgot Kingpin was even in the game.

Best villain fight was the optional one....and the hardest enemy in the game was whenever you encountered an apc that wasnt close to you so it got shots off lol.
I think the sequel will fix alot of that while developing the trimmings alot more.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Yes, and I don't even like Spider-man as a character that much. It's combat that makes a huge difference here.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Just beat Spiderman. It's easily my favorite singleplayer superhero game. Enjoyed the combat more, exploration much more, missions, and story.
the Arkham games are that good? Guess I gotta play.

I wonder why Origins was never ported to these consoles
Prepare to learn to hate driving the batmobile. Not because it sucks-- because of all the enemies that popup when you drive. I had to travel everywhere on foot to avoid all the harassment. Still a must play though if you like Supers

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only about half way through but so far its miles better than Arkham Knight and I think just as good as Arkham Asylum.

I honestly just played Arkham Asylum in full about a week before Spider-Man came out. It's a very short game and the last two boss fights are really bad.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing it to Arkham City (far and away the best of those games, IMO) -

Moving around the city is pretty delightful and quick in both of them; I'll give Spider-Man the edge here because they clearly put *lots* of effort into making it the best Spider-Man city navigation ever (not to mention the way things change for you in e.g. Central Park).

Combat is fantastic in both games. Maybe slightly more balanced moveset for Arkham, slightly more enemy variety for Spider-Man. Tie.

Stealth gameplay, however, is WAAAAAAY better in the Arkham games, and I think that's what gives them the edge. The Batman gadgets and their dual purposes for stealth vs. combat work really, really well and I think the Spider-Man gadgets don't quite have that same sense of flexibility yet.

I'd have to give the overall edge in this to Arkham City just because of the quality of the stealth gameplay.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing Spider-Man, I think each one of the Arkham games is way better. Even the open world ones still feel more like action adventures, whereas Spider-Man goes full-on into the copy/paste open world busywork territory. The stealth scenes are also handled way better in Arkham, each area is like a small puzzle, while in Spider-Man they all feel pretty similar.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I was having a wind up, mate. Granted, I do think Batman's not nearly as cool as you obviously seem to think he is. I also think he's overhyped and overexposed, and the Arkham quadrology has one great game, one good game and one game I don't care very much for, and the safest franchise ending game I've ever seen. And every character in Batman's world is more compelling and less shoved down my throat. (Also Spider-Man embarrasses Batman in the costumes, but I'm gonna let Rocksteady off the hook a little 'cause I'm sure they were designing Knight for PS3 at first.)

Also the bolded is...well....nah, fam. None of these guys are going anywhere. Certainly not Spider-Man, who might actually be the most popular superhero there is.

I was not talking about the game when I said Batman was cooler but the character. I don't care much for arkham series and feel Kevin Conroy phoned it in unlike the GOAT Batman animated series. Either ways even I don't think any of the villains in the arkham games are shoved in anymore then c grade villains like shocker, electro or scorpion etc.. Plus it's not controversial to say they are far far less compelling and iconic as characters then any of Bata villains.

I agree with you though. None of these guys are going anywhere. Certainly not the guy who started this game along with Supes and became a cultural icon.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just beat Spiderman. It's easily my favorite singleplayer superhero game. Enjoyed the combat more, exploration much more, missions, and story.

Prepare to learn to hate driving the batmobile. Not because it sucks-- because of all the enemies that popup when you drive. I had to travel everywhere on foot to avoid all the harassment. Still a must play though if you like Supers
I mean. I really reallly . really. loved driving in Final Fantasy XV. It felt grounded as I did not want to drive like GTA through fences and all over. I wanted to drive and listen to the music and the dialogue especially.

I bet I would love the batmobile , especially if it is sticky to the ground.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Verdict, No it's not. Asylum is still the best. Tight story and pacing and better implementation of the villains and comic universe. Spiderman edges it out in combat though.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I mean. I really reallly . really. loved driving in Final Fantasy XV. It felt grounded as I did not want to drive like GTA through fences and all over. I wanted to drive and listen to the music and the dialogue especially.

I bet I would love the batmobile , especially if it is sticky to the ground.
I actually liked the batmobile also but I didn't get super far in the game