Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spider-Man is a better game for sure, but it's clearly an evolution from stuff introduced by not only Batman but also other games like inFamous etc.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Anyway, on topic:

Arkham City is still the best superhero game. Asylum is up there too.

Also, can we get some love for Hulk Ultimate Destruction???

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
My gut reaction says no. Arkham Asylum is one of my favourite games of last gen.

Also, I'm a much bigger Batman fan. The fact they got the animated show voice actors went a long way for me too. Too much to love in Arkham.

I do enjoy Spider-Man quite a bit more than I thought I would though. It's an excellent game.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Arkham City is still on top, I think. Spider-Man slots in at number two, slightly edging out Arkham Asylum.

Oct 29, 2017
Arkham is a better game but Spiderman is more polished on the story and presentation front. As much as I love Arkham games, they always kinda peter out (no pun intended) towards the end where Spiderman built up to a pretty damn satisfying finale. Also just the direction of the cutscenes and the overall presentation is more cohesive and satisfying than Arkham ever has been (origins is probably the game that comes closest to matching). But from just a gameplay perspective, Arkham Knight has more variety and depth.

Spiderman is a fucking stellar first effort though, its crazy how good this game is considering that Insomniac has never made a Spiderman game before.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough to say really. We will have to compare 3 extremely polished games to a brand new entry of Spiderman. The only way to really compare is by doing a side by side comparison of the game's individual aspects. And even then, it's hard since you are comparing three games to one.

- Story: Spiderman's story and the overall campaign is just brilliant. Some balsy story moments, and excellent characterization and voice acting. Setpieces were off the charts. But, i really really liked the story in Arkham knight as well. It was full of those shocking moments and an ending that really didnt shy away from risks. It's probably a tie with Spiderman taking the tie breaker because the campaign had greater highs.

- Gameplay: This needs to be broken down into three parts, traversal, combat and puzzles. I think Spiderman takes traversal and combat, while Batman takes puzzles and most importantly overall level design. I just love using the gadgets to solve puzzles in the dungeons where as spiderman just used them during combat. I will have to give spiderman a slight edge here but i wouldnt fault anyone for picking batman.

- Graphics: Spiderman just looks better. it proves you can create an open world game with the fidelity of a linear corridor shooter and still have cars, pedestrians and enemies. Arkham KNight does NOT look good on my pro at 1080p. shimmering and jaggies everywhere. god i hate 4k tvs sometimes.

- Bosses: Spiderman of course.

- Sidequests: Batman. I think Batman wins the open world design as well. they did an excellent job populating the world with villains and fun things to do.

Overall, and this is why it's hard to give Spiderman an edge here because Arkham games just felt like a complete game overall. The dungeons were a lot more fun than Spiderman, but the boss fights and setpieces were worse. The story did a great job bringing a lot of characters together but Spiderman did a better job fleshing out the villains as well as the side characters. The stealth was much better and the combat challenges were fantastic in Arkham games.

I think the biggest accomplishment of Spiderman is that it can stand toe to toe with some of the finest games ever made. And they did this on the first try. It's easily a better game than Arkham Asylum, and on par with Arkham Knight, but does not match the consistency of Arkham City's dungeons.

I think Spiderman 2 will be better. But by the Rocksteady's Superman would have redefined the superhero genre.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I enjoyed Spiderman, platinumed it pretty much as soon as I could.
That being said... No, it doesn't overtake Asylum for me. The narrative in Spiderman just felt so damn weak, and I was tired of the combat halfway through the game. It definitely had a solid conclusion, but Arkham Asylum is still the beter game, imo.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I always hated the character design of the Arkham games. the bulky over-muscled look was very "unreal 3" and screamed last-gen/post-gears.

I enjoyed the overabundance of villains at first, but as the series continued i found it tiring. and they leaned on joker too much.

The fighting mechanics were revolutionary at first but as time went on they just added more obstacles and restrictions rather than evolve the mechanics.

Arkham City took the semi-open semi-metroidvania setting of Asylum and replaced it with a true open world (without adding much else)- and made it work with the amazing traversal mechanics. and with Arkham Knight they again made a very similar game but just added another element, the tank, that was not as profoundly successful as the open world implementation, to put it nicely.

Spiderman however is telling a more focused and grounded story at least. Totally destroyed the one thing Arkham series had going for it with the traversal. Added new fighting mechanics that, while feel very similar to Arkham, actually evolved it. Obviously the graphics are better but more importantly the art direction is a home run in grounding Spiderman in reality (where batman looks like you're playing with action figures).

The only thing is the stealth rooms just make more sense in Arkham. it's pretty goofy that thugs can't spot Spiderman swinging around them in broad daylight. That being said i'm enjoying it very much (maybe more than in Arkham) but it definitely felt more tactful in batman.

Overall- there's a lot of baggage with Arkham and it overstayed its welcome, but it paved the way for Spiderman. Arkham Asylum will probably end up being more influential but Spiderman is a better game.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely enjoyed it more than those Arkham games, especially the last three. Asylum is so good... but nothing beat the traversal of Spider-Man.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing SM a lot and for me nope. It doesn't feel as tight and controlled as Batman even with 'borrowing' many of the elements that make the Arkham games so great.

People need to cool down and reassess SM in a few months not in the honeymoon period.

The amount of inane busywork the game throws at you is enough to mark it down for me.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not finished with Spider-Man yet, but am pretty far along.

IMO, Spider-Man and Arkham Asylum are the greatest super hero games ever made. I much preferred Batman when it was more linear than in the open world concept. Spider-Man on the other hand is much better suited to the open-world as web swinging and traversal are such a big deal.

I can't say which I prefer yet, but I think I enjoyed the stealth elements of Batman much more. I do think I prefer Spider-man's combat but you have to give Arkham credit for creating the original formula. But in the end, Spider-man's feels more diverse with all the web slinging mechanics and environmental objects you can use.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
No at all bro. Arkham games were unique when they were released. Spiderman just copied tries and tested formula of Arkham games to create a fun and polished super hero game . You can't reward them with best super hero game ever tittle over Arkham cone on now.

Side stuff awful in Spiderman compared to Arkham. Story and voice acting are good in both games. But Batman takes the cake because none of the Spiderman actors can match awesome Mark hamil Joker and Kevin Conroy Batman.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer Batman as a character.

I am edging towards preferring Spider Man as a game.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Been playing SM a lot and for me nope. It doesn't feel as tight and controlled as Batman even with 'borrowing' many of the elements that make the Arkham games so great.

People need to cool down and reassess SM in a few months not in the honeymoon period.

The amount of inane busywork the game throws at you is enough to mark it down for me.
People go crazy at launch but then start coming to their senses after few months.

Give them some time. Arkham games are old and Spiderman fresh in their minds ,so yeah.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I lean more towards Marvel than DC lately. I beat Spider-Man last night, it's a wonderful game.
Arkham City is better. Spider-Man is beautiful but borrows so many different parts of open world games and I've def. got fatigue from it.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a lot of time in between story missions to do the neighborhood side mission and crime events, and had almost everything cleared until I got to the big villain reveal and then the entire map got riddled with boring and annoying faction crimes that's not fun at all to clear because they're exactly the same as the ones already introduced in the game at that point.

Really brought down the last stretch of the game for me.

Sep 20, 2018
Having finished Spider-Man yesterday, it's a great game but I think overall Asylum and City were tighter, more focused games. After a while, all the side objectives just felt like busy work, and there were too few actual side quests. I liked finding the backpacks and the research stations were a nice break from the combat, but the random crimes were too numerous and all the same so I just stopped caring halfway through.

However, it was a better game than Arkham Knight which I found to be a big disappointment, and the story is easily better than any Arkham game.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say no. Hopefully it will with the next installment which would mean that Spidey 2 would be spectacular.

Silverstoned

Dec 28, 2017
North California
im a veteran of all the arkham games and im about 30% through spiderman.

i think that if there is a sequel and insomniac go all out, then yes, spider man will be the best super hero game. but not yet.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
About finished. At 92%. Yes, way better than the arkham games for me (especially knight). Getting a real feeling chunk of the city alone was enough for me. I wanted to be in gotham proper not always stuck in a small spot under martial law.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
Am I crazy for thinking Arkham Origins is the best Arkham game? It has the best bosses and the best story in the Arkham series, that's for sure

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Now that I'm closer to the end, the reason why Spider-Man is the best superhero game ever is Peter Parker. And Aunt May. And MJ. And Martin Li. And Miles Morales.

The game is the best superhero game for the same reason why Spider-Man is the best superhero. The focus is on Peter Parker. Not Spider-Man.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Seems like the responses in this thread are split pretty evenly between Spider-Man and Arkham.

The Arkham games are awesome so Spider-Man is in good company if it is just as good.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the new Spider-Man game yet, but I don't think the Arkham games deserve that honor anyway. Hell, I MUCH prefer the Batman game on the NES. That is a fucking classic.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way. The combat isn't as tight, the side missions and collectables suck and the central mystery isn't as good. Great game, but if Rocksteady had released it, it would be considered a disappointment

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Arkham is still a lot better imho. I like Spiderman, but I think overall Arkham is a better game and if I could only choose one super hero video game it would be Arkham easily over Spiderman.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
100% yes, agree. The Batman games are great, but for me personally, Spider-Man is a more engaging story, more interesting characters, and more fleshed out world.

I do love the style of the Arkham games and the look of Gotham as a city, but I will absolutely in a minute trade all of those for more great Spider-man games. Spider-Man is a way more interesting character than Batman will ever be in my eyes.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best arkham game to me is origins and it's hard to choose spiderman over it but I do like Spiderman better than asylum so if it's comparing first series games than spiderman wins . I also think Spiderman is a more interesting and a better handled character than batman, I'm just happy we have some great super hero games.

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham City has actual puzzles. And stealth. And challenges. And less copy paste. And a tighter story. And at least one engaging boss battle.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer Spiderman, mostly because it makes me feel like Spiderman. So that's the design intent nailed.

The Batman games never really made me feel like that, they certainly had moments that came close, but Arkham didn't feel like Gotham, and it didn't offer that balance between Bruce and Batman that I would want from a perfect Batman game.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The Batman games were good but nothing special. Spider-Man is just genuine fun to just goof around in.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The moment-to-moment combat and traversal gameplay in Spider-Man is really fun, but Arkham City is miles ahead in level design, quality side content, and boss battles. I think Spider-Man is a bit better overall, but it's not an easy call.