• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Alright, got 4-1 and 5-1 down. Got adjudicator shield + regen ring combo going on.

Gonna do 2-2 next since it'll give me the option to make the meat cleaver. Then again could get the regeneration spell instead of meat cleaver and regen spell + blessed weapon + adjucator shield + regen ring probably negates healing outside stuff that 1 hit kills you or falls. Could be useful for a defensive build with a blessed claymore.

SL37 now and stats are

VIT 19
INT 11
END 22
STR 20
DEX 10
MAG 10
FTH 18
LUCK 7

Been alternating between VIT and FTH until they catch up to END/STR. Have 2 miracle slots but nothing outside heal because don't want to spend 20k on evac -_- and there's nothing else useful. I was looking at saw Second Chance costs 100 MP, how does that even work when I only have 73 MP max? Do I need to pump a bunch of stat points into INT if I want to use second chance?

Probably gonna look for where to get large hardstone shards as well so I can get my claymore to +5.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So even though salty boss runbacks are very much part of this game, people realize that the SSD allows reloads from the cloud SUPER fast, right? Certainly less time than most of the runbacks.

I'm not saying to do or not do this, just stating an option. (Full disclosure: I have used it a couple times trying to get the alternate boss kill trophies).

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Got the platinum! Amazing remake of an amazing game. I think this is the best Playstation launch title ever.

Now to figure out what build to do next...

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I am not saying this as a hater or to shit post on the game ,but it genuinely feels like an copy or an imposter a lot of the time.

It feels more like a souls-like than an actual souls title. From Soft's art , menu design and voice direction is very different from this.

At the end of the day, it really is not a From Soft game. So that's a fair assessment.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Valley of defilement looks so much better. It's actually dark and difficult to navigate.

Also, everytime I get it, I just want to respec in order to use the gloom armor.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Got invaded by Peeve in NG+ and much to my surprise I won. That was the kill I needed for pure white character tendency too! Close to the plat now... Just need 1 more playthrough.

Also my PS5 hard locked when exiting out of the game. Pretty cool.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having trouble being summoned? I'm trying in 2-1 right at the start and it'll say "you are being summoned" and nothing else will happen.

Also while I'm asking, should I even be looking for someone to summon me in 2-1 at lvl 18? Or is there a different level I may have better luck in like 1-2?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Valley of defilement looks so much better. It's actually dark and difficult to navigate.

Also, everytime I get it, I just want to respec in order to use the gloom armor.
I don't have a PS5 yet but Valley of Defilement was my favorite region in the original game and I'm eager to see it in the remake. Ah, fond memories of the perspective trickery with the bridge troll, lol.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Cleared 2-2 thanks to a co-op person I summoned at the start to help me with an invader and they stuck with me the whole level. Felt like cheating though, Flamelurker went down easy with 2 people.

At this point I can make a Blessed Claymore weapon or Meat Cleaver. Since they're both basically long slashing sword, not sure which is better with a STR/Faith build. I know Blessed has the slight regen which is nice, but I wonder damage-wise which is gonna do more DPS against enemies/bosses. Also gonna grab the Large Sword of Moonlight which is a 3rd big slashing sword, but I'm reading the DPS isn't going to compare to those two, but that it cuts through shields can be useful in certain situations. So I think for a main weapon I'm going to go between Blessed Claymore & Meat Cleaver.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
ok they completely ruined Maiden Astraea's theme, in my opinion, which kind of spoils the moment for me.

edit: all in all music and voice direction/acting is where the remake misses the mark in general I think. I can't even hear Rydell unless I'm right next to him

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared 1-2, 2-2, and am on 3-1

Where do I find more spells? This is my first time playing a souls game as a "caster" and I feel clumsy as royalty non stop spamming soul arrow (even though I've one shot every boss except flamelurker which took me a second attempt).

Not entirely sure how to spec out either, I'm hitting magic and intelligence hard, but I feel like I should be doing some dexterity or endurance as well (and obviously some vitality). Steering completely clear of strength and I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared 1-2, 2-2, and am on 3-1

Where do I find more spells? This is my first time playing a souls game as a "caster" and I feel clumsy as royalty non stop spamming soul arrow (even though I've one shot every boss except flamelurker which took me a second attempt).

Not entirely sure how to spec out either, I'm hitting magic and intelligence hard, but I feel like I should be doing some dexterity or endurance as well (and obviously some vitality). Steering completely clear of strength and I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.
3-1 is the right place. look for a prisoner to free. For weapon, you'll want to spec str and dex based on the weapon you want to use. (so if you're just using a catalyst as opposed to an enchanted weapon, then it doesn't matter)

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I just beat Maneater, holy shit. Didn't think I'd get by him anytime soon. Also cleared up to Penetrator, and he will probably be doing so for a while.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I got my game to at least start giving me an error message when summoning fails. I have no idea how to fix it though, it just says "Failed to join the session".

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Starting to think I did something entirely wrong with my build. Looked up some recommended stats and started off with some INT and Faith to get those out of the way. But now I'm feeling a struggle between either thinking I have too little HP and/or STR. I think I goofed.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I am so sick of these red tentacle fucks. I love this game, but putting these hard ass enemies on stairwells is some bullshit.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
3-1 is the right place. look for a prisoner to free. For weapon, you'll want to spec str and dex based on the weapon you want to use. (so if you're just using a catalyst as opposed to an enchanted weapon, then it doesn't matter)

Yeah I'm almost exclusively using the catalyst, every now and then I'll pull out a kriss(?) that I found that does some magic damage, to finish enemies off.

I'm cool with it but I just want to make sure I'm not speccing myself into a corner. Do I need to throw points into both strength and dex if I want melee fallback, or just one (and pick a weapon that aligns with whichever I choose etc)?

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Am I alone in thinking that blue point not only met expectations on Latria, but exceeded them?

This area looks like a mix of Yharnam from Bloodborne and the City of the Dead from LOTR

Just oozing with atmosphere and presence

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
Just beat the game.. Thank you lord for Bluepoint, without them I would have never been able to experience this classic with the appreciation it deserves. Awesomeee.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Did 5-1 and 4-1 last night. They are some of my favorite areas despite how "get gud" they are in reputation. I love that world 5 is visible now and not just a dark muddy mess. 4-1 is fun when you roll blunt weapons though, those skellys are a cake walk with it.

Took me a few days to get back into the flow but I really love Demon's.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared 2-2 thanks to a co-op person I summoned at the start to help me with an invader and they stuck with me the whole level. Felt like cheating though, Flamelurker went down easy with 2 people.

At this point I can make a Blessed Claymore weapon or Meat Cleaver. Since they're both basically long slashing sword, not sure which is better with a STR/Faith build. I know Blessed has the slight regen which is nice, but I wonder damage-wise which is gonna do more DPS against enemies/bosses. Also gonna grab the Large Sword of Moonlight which is a 3rd big slashing sword, but I'm reading the DPS isn't going to compare to those two, but that it cuts through shields can be useful in certain situations. So I think for a main weapon I'm going to go between Blessed Claymore & Meat Cleaver.

I have both, these are the stats at 20STR, 12DEX, 16FAI

Blessed Claymore +4: 327 AR (two handed), 323 (one handed)
Pros: has regen, a little faster, good base damage + faith scaling
Cons: have to upgrade, can't be buffed

Meat Cleaver: 352 AR (two handed)
Pros: higher attack, don't have to upgrade, better 2 handed R2, scales with str/dex/faith, can be buffed
Cons: can't use one handed, slower than claymore, heavier

It takes a while for the Blessed Claymore to catch up because you have to upgrade it, I still have to farm to get it to +5 (also my faith isn't very high). They are pretty similar weapons though. I prefer the Meat Cleaver because I like the heavier weapons in general in these games. Just get both!

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Do not get this game
Just want to say as a long-time Souls-player and huge fan of Bloodborne, I understood exactly what you meant about the opening of that game with no elaboration needed. You have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you.

PS. You'll enjoy DeS just fine--it doesn't have that same disoriented opening that the start of Bloodborne does.

These are great, albeit slightly mixed, messages! Thanks both.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is this BP Varl?

Yeah I'm almost exclusively using the catalyst, every now and then I'll pull out a kriss(?) that I found that does some magic damage, to finish enemies off.

I'm cool with it but I just want to make sure I'm not speccing myself into a corner. Do I need to throw points into both strength and dex if I want melee fallback, or just one (and pick a weapon that aligns with whichever I choose etc)?
Yeah, you don't have to worry about being specc'd into a corner -- there are other weapons that you can find that will scale with your magic stat. You will be able to enchant weapons to scale with magic as well. or you could take the route of using spells to augment weapons that you level up normally. You will have a lot of options with only need 1 or 2 levels in Str or Dex. For example, you can get a Dragon Long Sword that destroys everything (doesn't scale) with fire damage and to use that you'd only need to put your str to 10.

Of course, spells can do enormous damage by themselves.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they patch the Old Monk fight -- playing the unskippable cutscene as soon as you match when you enter the staircase is soo annoying for everybody involved (I presume?)

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Struggling hard on 5-2. Spent a couple hours and calling it a night now instead of staying up until the late A.M. banging my head against this wall and getting frustrated (well more than already frustrated for not progressing for last several hours and losing another 10-20k souls).

At first I thought thanks to the regen items I have I can almost mitigate the poison so I can just shortcut through the swamp each part.

Also I got the meat cleaver and it kicks ass, I can one hit take out most normal enemies, cool. Works especially great against NPC black phantoms since the 3rd hit flips them back. I just need more END because it eats through it fast, but starting to put more in slowly.

But in 5-2 the large trolls are screwing me up. Especially if I get in the water and can't roll I'm basically dead because I can't dodge and they have too much HP to kill in one stamina bar worth of swipes. I keep getting the two giant trolls in front of the fog door on the wooden bridge. The last time I got there I tried just running past them and they chased me into the little village area past it and I had to keep moving only to get ganked by like a group of the little guys all stabbing me at once and killing me. Definitely seems like I can run slowly through the swamp for 10 mins in the first 2 sections and get to that spot with the 2 large trolls, but I probably have to take it slowly and try to kill them and slowly move forward from that point on.

Oh and not sure it matters but I'm basically having to run around naked because the meat cleaver is 10 weight and putting me over 50% with any plate armor. Just wearing black leather armor set, so something but not very durable.

I know I can do it, it's just really tedious having to sludge through the 2 areas of swamp for 10 mins each try. Least favorite area in the game so far. I didn't even remember this level from the original, probably erased it from my mind to stop the pain.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Damn, just had a nice duel on 1-3. Dude took me down to a sliver of health while bleeding and he still had about half health (after he healed once already). Had to go yolo and parry which I landed and did the stab animation for the win.

It feels sooo good to have PvP in this game with actual good hit detection and no lag.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
"The monumental awaits thee above."

Feel like I've explored the entire Nexus and haven't found what this is referring to.

Edit: Googled it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Struggling hard on 5-2. Spent a couple hours and calling it a night now instead of staying up until the late A.M. banging my head against this wall and getting frustrated (well more than already frustrated for not progressing for last several hours and losing another 10-20k souls).

At first I thought thanks to the regen items I have I can almost mitigate the poison so I can just shortcut through the swamp each part.

Also I got the meat cleaver and it kicks ass, I can one hit take out most normal enemies, cool. Works especially great against NPC black phantoms since the 3rd hit flips them back. I just need more END because it eats through it fast, but starting to put more in slowly.

But in 5-2 the large trolls are screwing me up. Especially if I get in the water and can't roll I'm basically dead because I can't dodge and they have too much HP to kill in one stamina bar worth of swipes. I keep getting the two giant trolls in front of the fog door on the wooden bridge. The last time I got there I tried just running past them and they chased me into the little village area past it and I had to keep moving only to get ganked by like a group of the little guys all stabbing me at once and killing me. Definitely seems like I can run slowly through the swamp for 10 mins in the first 2 sections and get to that spot with the 2 large trolls, but I probably have to take it slowly and try to kill them and slowly move forward from that point on.

Oh and not sure it matters but I'm basically having to run around naked because the meat cleaver is 10 weight and putting me over 50% with any plate armor. Just wearing black leather armor set, so something but not very durable.

I know I can do it, it's just really tedious having to sludge through the 2 areas of swamp for 10 mins each try. Least favorite area in the game so far. I didn't even remember this level from the original, probably erased it from my mind to stop the pain.

Yeah, that's the big thing with this game: Everything you have to do needs to be calculated. Usually if you try to rush through an area it will bite you in the ass mostly.

For those big trolls, use a bow or ranged magic to get one's attention then fight him on an island so you can still move around and roll effectively. Regen ring works wonders for this area too as it kinda mitigates the poison tick rate a bit. Doesn't hurt to throw on a poison resist ring either so you have more leeway when in the muck and not get poisoned as fast. Also the small guys can drop the flowers to stop from being poisoned.

But yeah, definitely an area you cannot rush through which can get annoying after a few repeat deaths.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
WOW the 3D audio turned the Tower Knight boss fight from bland to an auditory spectacle.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find anything on how the character profiles thing works and I'm totally confused.

I don't like the character I designed anymore and thought that you could design another one in New Game then, in your original game, it would be listed up there (in the room before the Pantheon) and you could pay souls to swap your character — at least aesthetically.

I'm not seeing my second character up there at all, let alone any option to swap. Do I need to play further with the original character? Or — more likely — do I just have this all wrong?

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
So in the first level it seems like I can't get the red dragon to move anymore after having crossed the long corridor earlier. Am I screwed out of getting the items he's sitting on by the blue dragon?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying this for the first time in a decade makes me realize how wildly unpolished and obtuse all the gameplay systems are compared to later entries. I find it really charming, actually. Those wiki entries are probably getting a ton of new views.
I hope they patch the Old Monk fight -- playing the unskippable cutscene as soon as you match when you enter the staircase is soo annoying for everybody involved (I presume?)
The cutscene almost always hit when I'm in a life or death battle with the first cthulhu magician. Apologies to all the invaders who sat through the cutscene to just have me immediately die.

Oct 26, 2017

If you use the Thief Ring, it should be possible to sneak through the second swamp and just hop onto the bridge to get into the "village", I saw that on Vaati's stream. But Demon's Souls is generally heavy on situations where you need a specific strategy/item to avoid an extremely difficult battle.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, that's the big thing with this game: Everything you have to do needs to be calculated. Usually if you try to rush through an area it will bite you in the ass mostly.

For those big trolls, use a bow or ranged magic to get one's attention then fight him on an island so you can still move around and roll effectively. Regen ring works wonders for this area too as it kinda mitigates the poison tick rate a bit. Doesn't hurt to throw on a poison resist ring either so you have more leeway when in the muck and not get poisoned as fast. Also the small guys can drop the flowers to stop from being poisoned.

But yeah, definitely an area you cannot rush through which can get annoying after a few repeat deaths.

So instead of sleeping I decided to formulate a plan.

I went and found the blessed mace in 5-1 which I didn't find my first run of it. Now I had enough regen to nullify poison. Then I went and bought Cloak and brought out my thief's ring instead of cling ring. I trudged through the swamp and cast cloak at the end before the mound with the one big troll and walked by and dropped into the second swamp, ran through that and at the part with 2 at the end I used cloak and slowly walked past both into the village.

Then I cloaked through the village just killing enemies that still aggro'd. Then at some point I just instantly died? I...don't know what happened. No one was attacking me and my regen should've beaten the poison with the adjucator shield, regen ring and blessed mace+1 all equipped. I saved a video clip to re-watch tomorrow and see what happened. I literally was standing looking around and then it said YOU DIED and I was like wat.

So I gave it one more run, this time no mysterious death out of nowhere. But I got so lost in the shanty town. I kept trying to find the shortcut but I couldn't find it. Then I saw a fog door and thought maybe that goes to the shortcut area....and then no, it was the boss.

...yeah, so I put my cling ring back on to get some extra HP, and just gave it a shot. Luckily was pretty easy and took a hit or two but with some pine resin on my meat cleaver killed the boss and beat the stage.

But tomorrow I need to backtrack from there and try to find the shortcut. There's supposed to be a crystal lizard by there that drops the shards I need to upgrade my blessed weapons, so I need that shortcut, plus I want to explore and grab the rest of the items.

Still, it was good that the planning worked out with the HP regen and cloak worked to get past. Makes me realize that for some of these stages you can probably cloak and run straight to the boss, especially if there's a wider area so you don't have to be in any small corridors with enemies.

If you use the Thief Ring, it should be possible to sneak through the second swamp and just hop onto the bridge to get into the "village", I saw that on Vaati's stream. But Demon's Souls is generally heavy on situations where you need a specific strategy/item to avoid an extremely difficult battle.

Yep.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Started game tonight for the first time. Fell in hole beside the archer in front of the castle.

This is going to be a long road.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
For the Platinum am I seriously gonna have to start over and get all the rings with a new character just because I didn't pick the Providential Ring at the beginning?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely enjoying the stuff between bosses more than the actual boss fights so far. Just got absolutely annihilated by Maneater.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Remake-only spoilers ahead

Freaking out about the new hidden door in 3-1, some people say there's no item behind it, some says there is, nobody figured out how to open the door yet anyway. Hopefully it's something more than an easter egg.
It feels a bit like the old days at least, a new mystery to solve in Souls

edit: just noticed I'm 3 days behind

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Do we have a list of all the new weapons and gear? Or at least a number
I fear I could miss something

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The tedium of farming grass and enemies one-shotting you makes this game a real chore compared with later titles. It's given me a newfound appreciation for the improvements Dark Souls introduced over this.

But like... Getting killed in one hit by those rock worms spamming lava is just... Not fun. Especially when they're placed so closely together that they incentivize cheesy strats over having good timing.

I also forgot how uneven the bosses in this game are compared with recent series entries. Dark Souls wasn't much better in this regard but the general tedium of DeS really knocks em down a peg overall despite a few standout exceptions.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
So are there like zero shortcuts in the game? Been able to get to the first boss in all of the first levels but I'm losing patients with the 5min run to each boss.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Remake-only spoilers ahead

Freaking out about the new hidden door in 3-1, some people say there's no item behind it, some says there is, nobody figured out how to open the door yet anyway. Hopefully it's something more than an easter egg.
It feels a bit like the old days at least, a new mystery to solve in Souls

edit: just noticed I'm 3 days behind

just imagine if....

Item acquired: Archstone Repair Kit.

this forum would come crashing down.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find anything on how the character profiles thing works and I'm totally confused.

I don't like the character I designed anymore and thought that you could design another one in New Game then, in your original game, it would be listed up there (in the room before the Pantheon) and you could pay souls to swap your character — at least aesthetically.

I'm not seeing my second character up there at all, let alone any option to swap. Do I need to play further with the original character? Or — more likely — do I just have this all wrong?

I've been told you pay 25,000 souls at the statue at the bottom of the nexus to change your looks.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
So are there like zero shortcuts in the game? Been able to get to the first boss in all of the first levels but I'm losing patients with the 5min run to each boss.
There are not as many shortcuts, but also the world isn't one big interconnected map so theres less need of them. Once you know the layouts it's not long to get to a boss if you straight gun it for them.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
There are not as many shortcuts, but also the world isn't one big interconnected map so theres less need of them. Once you know the layouts it's not long to get to a boss if you straight gun it for them.
That's what I'm doing, but it's such a long run, and sometimes you can't run because of some aggressive enemies. Feels like something that was fixed in other Souls games tbh.