• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
There's literally hundreds of games available on every digital storefront right now that cost $20 or less and will give you a few hours of fun.

Consider this: buy a video game not made by a team of 500 people and published by a huge multi-billion dollar international company.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck plays video games for six hours straight??????????

What kind of deodorant-abrasive sludge waste you gotta be to binge that much for gaming???? Six hours??????????????

That will not be me. 2 hours alone gives me a headache. Georgia weather is lovely
Reading this and many of your other posts in this thread really makes me wonder how old you are.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Except, you've admitted in this thread you play games roughly 8 hrs a week which to me is actually quite alot - it's not that you don't have the time for long games OP, you don't have the attention span - which is fine, some people do just like to randomly pick a game for a couple of hrs without wondering what you did last time, some people also don't like sticking to the same game and like switching it up - but it literally has nothing to do with how busy you are so you really don't need to take passive aggressive swipes at other. calling them "deodorant-abrassive sludge" . Playing 8 hrs a week is more than most people.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Question: let's say you have 6 hours a week to game. What difference does it make if you play four 6-hour games a month versus one 24-hour game? You can trade off playing multiple short games versus one long game.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Except, you've admitted in this thread you play games roughly 8 hrs a week which to me is actually quite alot - it's not that you don't have the time for long games OP, you don't have the attention span - which is fine, some people do just like to randomly pick a game for a couple of hrs without wondering what you did last time, some people also don't like sticking to the same game and like switching it up - but it literally has nothing to do with how busy you are so you really don't need to take passive aggressive swipes at other. calling them "deodorant-abrassive sludge" . Playing 8 hrs a week is more than most people.

You can stop assuming that I don't have the attention span to commit to longer games. No clue where you got that from.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the save system is decent (whenever I want to or automatically and often) long games are fine for me. I usually only play on the weekends for a couple of hours a day anyway. I bought Far Cry 5 at launch, have played it every weekend since and am still not finished.

I understand the OP though, it just seems that the majority of people want longer games than he does and that kind of sucks for him

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. You can still just play through the story mode of a bigger game if you want to. No need to shrink games (although bloating them isn't good also).

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Most games are that small that is really a disappointment on what the industry become.

But hey maybe they are focusing in gamers like you.

BTW auto saves everywhere exists for you play longer games.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Question: let's say you have 6 hours a week to game. What difference does it make if you play four 6-hour games a month versus one 24-hour game? You can trade off playing multiple short games versus one long game.

The investment doesn't seem worth it to me. Putting in that much time towards working on one big game just becomes repetitive way too quickly compared to keeping my interest divided in multiple genres.

I COULD do it but I don't want to.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't have time for this thread, I've got shit to do.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017

Some people do not like playing the same game. I want to move onto the next one instead of playing the same game for 30+ hours.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Genuine question here, not having a go, but do people feel this way because they want to play many games and want to feel up to date?

I myself, due to limited money, love games that give you lots of content for your money. I will play games like witcher, divinity, and yakuza games for months. I've been playing TW3 for a third time, since January. That's not to say I don't like smaller experiences too. I feel that when it comes to shorter games, my standards aren't necessarily higher, but different.

I've also seen this view in the review and coverage industry, which seems like a need for those people to stay up to date, or give appraisals fast. I try to consider this when taking into account their opinions actually, especially because I'm someone that likes to walk and smell the roses.

I guess it could also be that people want to experience a variety or simply just get tired of things. I definitely think I'm quite patient when it comes to long games too, I will give a game I know has depth or length to it a lot more hours than a game I know is a shorter experience, though I'd probably just end up playing all of a short game anyway.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
I'm with you dude. I just don't have that spare time anymore. It took me three weeks to beat Tomb Raider 2013 this month.

To me, Titanfall 2was the perfect length, the perfect campaign, the perfect everything.

I just can't fuck with grinding AT ALL. I've heard raves about Persona 5 but I KNOW when that place slows down I'll be out. It's why 35 bucks is my max, otherwise I'll wait for a sale.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
If a game is good, I want it to be as long as ppssible. I will use this example for FFXV and GOW, both of which I wanted to play as much as I could even if it took weeks.

If the game is terrible or starts to feel like a chore, then I certainly wouldn't mind a short exp and this was the case with FC5 where I really enjoy the first half and was tired with it all by the end.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining, attacking other posters.
No one cares what you want specifically, buy what suits you and shove off.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with that at all.

I have quite a lot of free time personally, so I tend to prefer longer games as long as they're fun throughout and not full of bloat. Especially if I'm paying $40+.

I do like short games though. Nice palette cleansers between longer, more involved games, great for killing time the week or two before a big new release when I don't want to start another game I won't finish by then etc.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I never get this complaint. Who wants to pay $60 for 6 hours? You have the rest of your life to finish it after you buy it.
As a father with a 1 year old, with how much I'm able to play games these days, it just might take me my whole life to finish TW3. The problem I think the OP is getting at is that he is looking for gaming experiences that aren't literally half a year investments. I personally have a hard time with maintaining interest in single player games if they are going to be multi month commitments. When you can only play for 30 minutes to an hour at a time, the filler in big open world games is really undesirable.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
still have shit to do
So take care of what you need to then. Unless your renting all the games your playing what's the rush? Play what you have time to play. Handle your shit and come back again next time. The games aren't going anywhere.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
OP, while I understand your needs I can't understand your poor choice of words for the thread's title...
I'm not a native english speaker but "Consider this: maybe I just want a 6-8 hour game and that's it" comes out a little offensive I think ?
Is this directed to developers (who just develop games for all kind of people, not you specifically) or to us (that have done literally nothing to you) ?

Why not choose the less offensive phrasing "Recommend me 6-8 hours games" ?
This thread derailed in record time from your original intent thanks to that.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a non-issue.

The issue is quality. If a game continues to be fun and entertaining, I will play it for 80 hours.

Your time is finite, but it's not like having a shorter game will allow you to spend more time playing games.

Play a 6-7 hour game in two weeks, 3.5 hours a week
play an 80 hour game in 23 weeks, 3.5 hours a week

it's all the same, as long as you're enjoying yourself and having fun with it.

Actually, the 80 hour game is a better value and much more memorable and enjoyable. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand. This crusade against game length is actually working against your best interest as a person who plays videogames. The ideal situation for any of us is to buy a $60 game and get a full year or two of fun out of it and keep returning to it, without having to continually pump cash into it.

The issue is people's attention spans, game quality over the total span of the game time, and the ridiculous notion that you need to play every game that comes out right at release. When I was a kid, you'd get 2-3 games a year and maybe rent a few other games. Maybe if you were lucky you'd get a sale or discount game as a reward for good grades or something. And you would just get every bit of meat off the bone of those games. That was fun. Bouncing around from game to game and never really diving deep into anything isn't.

80 hours is probably a high estimate but when you consider multiplayer+single player modes i've easily put that into the last few CoD and Battlefield games. I just did it over the course of a year or two, and got lots of value out of it.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
OP I hate to say it but since your entire premise is you can't play games longer than 6 hours since you have more important things to do you may be better served by just quitting traditional gaming.

Seems you don't have the time or the patience to continue the hobby there's nothing wrong with going to mobile phone gaming if you still need a fix. It should fit your lifestyle much better given they can be dropped at any point and are very short.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
OP, while I understand your needs I can't understand your poor choice of words for the thread's title...
I'm not a native english speaker but "Consider this: maybe I just want a 6-8 hour game and that's it" comes out a little offensive I think ?
Is this directed to developers (who just develop games for all kind of people, not you specifically) or to us (that have done literally nothing to you) ?

Why not choose the less offensive phrasing "Recommend me 6-8 hours games" ?
This thread derailed in record time from your original intent thanks to that.

I'm getting what I want out of the thread, not sure what you're on about

I got suggestions on what to play

OP I hate to say it but since your entire premise is I can't play games longer than 6 hours since you have more important things to do you may be better served by just quitting traditional gaming.

Seems you don't have the time or the patience to continue the hobby there's nothing wrong with going to mobile phone gaming if you still need a fix. It should fit your lifestyle much better given they can be dropped at any point and are very short.

The genres I want to play on mobile either aren't there or are grossly monetized. I'll stick with Hearthstone.

I do have a 3DS and that's doing wonders for me.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 to 10hr games are perfect lengths for a game. I very rarely play games that are longer. I don't mind if they have additional stuff that others can delve into to get more play time but generally unless it is a masterfully paced game its just repeated gameplay with very few ideas and feels like nothing more than padding. If I really like the game I will usually play it over and over and fully learn its quirks.

One of the reasons I love the Souls series is that I can play them fast or I can take my time. Plus there is no forced grinding, if you are good enough you can beat anything. I hate games with RPG systems where you need to be at a specific level to even do any damage, Dragons Dogma and Ys are awful for this.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit this isn't a fucking critique about the state of AAA gaming or whatever . I couldn't be more straightforward.

Games are too fucking long these days. I got shit to do. Please reccommend me short games that I can complete in a reasonable amount of time. Short, focused, satisfying. It's not that deep
Unfortunately, this is the internet and you'll have people (children I assume), rushing in here to be the first to post a meme or a witty response without actually contributing to the thread.

I am in my 30's, with a full time job and a family which makes my time limited as well. I do understand your concerns and there are times where I have similar fellings.

As for recommendations, Resident Evil 7, although long, is pretty straightforward without filler sidequests.

Far Cry 5, is another game that can be competed fairly quickly since the side missions are not mandatory.

Shadow of the Colossus is about as short and to the point as you can get.

The Lost Legacy is roughly 8 hours I think, and very quick moving.

If you like variety, you can try games like Hotline Miami and Life Is Strange.

I'm sure there are others but just a few off the top of my head, that I have played, because like you, SOMETIMES, I don't want a super long game with a bunch of side missions.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Was there something wrong with my previous posts recommending how easy it is to find short games by simply searching for them using a filter on How Long to Beat or following the 52 game 1 year thread? Seems like the most obvious solution to the OP's concern. Yet no reply from him, hopefully he learned there's a really easy and simple way to find exactly what he wants in a game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You spent like one solid hour just watching this thread for the first two pages. And another hour in another thread just before you initially posted this one.

I'm sure that's valuable time on your very busy schedule with lots to do.

I'd say cut down on other areas to make time for games, if you so desire.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, this is the internet and you'll have people (children I assume), rushing in here to be the first to post a meme or a witty response without actually contributing to the thread.

I am in my 30's, with a full time job and a family which makes my time limited as well. I do understand your concerns and there are times where I have similar fellings.

As for recommendations, Resident Evil 7, although long, is pretty straightforward without filler sidequests.

Far Cry 5, is another game that can be competed fairly quickly since the side missions are not mandatory.

Shadow of the Colossus is about as short and to the point as you can get.

The Lost Legacy is roughly 8 hours I think, and very quick moving.

If you like variety, you can try games like Hotline Miami and Life Is Strange.

I'm sure there are others but just a few off the top of my head, that I have played, because like you, I don't care for super long games or a bunch of side missions.

This is the problem - not that the games are too long, its that you're trying to rush through them for what reason exactly?? to rush back to the store to pay $60 for another one? This mindset is foolish and irresponsible unless you happen to be very wealthy.

It's okay to bounce off a game you don't like, but that's not an issue of game length, its of quality and personal preference. If you don't want games to be like a second job, stop treating it as one and just play what makes you happy.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017

HUH.
Well with the phrasing I suggest you wouldn't have to had to make a first reply such as "thank you, good night" ? ^^
Also avoid DOZENS of posts containing no game recommendations and just judging your choice.
And every other post I could quote where you just have to defend yourself cuz people found the title offensive ?

I mean you would have gotten only what you wanted for without all the drama, all I'm trying to "be about".

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck plays video games for six hours straight??????????

What kind of deodorant-abrasive sludge waste you gotta be to binge that much for gaming???? Six hours??????????????

That will not be me. 2 hours alone gives me a headache. Georgia weather is lovely
What is this convulsive ass allergic reaction people on this forum have whenever someone mentions they do something they find strange.

I don't make a habit of it, but whenever a new Pokémon comes out, I'm playing it in bed 6 hours easy Day 1. I had my "it's night?!" moment when I finally looked up.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
I never get this complaint. Who wants to pay $60 for 6 hours? You have the rest of your life to finish it after you buy it.
I'll throw that back at you, I never get people who state $60 as the de facto price for a game.

Multiple retailers have cheap avenues to get games day one without paying more than $48, nevermind that sales and price drops in this industry come fast and furious. Then there's all the games offered through PS+ and XBL, and services like Game Pass and EA Access.

If you're paying $60 for anything other than the odd deluxe/collector's edition you really want, you're fuckin' up.

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The genres I want to play on mobile either aren't there or are grossly monetized. I'll stick with Hearthstone.

I do have a 3DS and that's doing wonders for me.

Well you got suggestions after having to correct many people and even make an edit in the OP. I came in thinking this thread was about hating long games too. I read your opening post and understood right away what you meant. The other problem is people have knee jerk reactions to everything and don't read.

There's some great indie games that are really short. Have you tried mark of ninja. I recently finished it and it was a quick playthrough. Also try out Panzer Dragoon Orta for the Xbox one. It's 10 bucks and easily under 8 hours.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there are so many cheaper, shorter games. obviously if you're looking at only AAA games you will be limiting yourself because most people who pay 60$ for a game want to be entertained for more than 6 hours.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You spent like one solid hour just watching this thread for the first two pages. And another hour in another thread just before you initially posted this one.

I'm sure that's valuable time on your very busy schedule with lots to do.

I'd say cut down on other areas to make time for games, if you so desire.

I was waiting for this post lmfao are you for real? Dictating where I should put my time browsing this thread? Why are you so pressed about the idea of some disliking something that you have to try to divert the discussion into my posting behavior? Who are you supposed to be?

Well you got suggestions after having to correct many people and even make an edit in the OP. I came in thinking this thread was about hating long games too. I read your opening post and understood right away what you meant. The other problem is people have knee jerk reactions to everything and don't read.

There's some great indie games that are really short. Have you tried mark of ninja. I recently finished it and it was a quick playthrough. Also try out Panzer Dragoon Orta for the Xbox one. It's 10 bucks and easily under 8 hours.

Mark of the Ninja is finished and I will replay it when the remaster hits. I already have Orta, and I'm actually going through Zwei rn.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was gong to offer up some suggestions. But then I noticed the OP was basically just attacking everyone who offers any advice to him.

So yeah. No.

OP, you just in a shit mood and feel like cussing and calling people the N word for a bit to feel better or something?

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people are getting way to offended that OP wants shorter games. If you can't contribute to the thread by discussing game lenth or recommend particular games for him/her instead of witty/sarcastic/idiotic/mean spirited responses, why even post?

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you and me both OP

If I hear a game is 20h long campaign I almost write it off

Only in exceptional cases .. I buy the game but never finish it lol

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting for this post lmfao are you for real? Dictating where I should put my time browsing this thread?

Sorry to keep ya waiting. My post demand a certain amount of time to prepare them as well.

But yeah, bruv. Hours spent surfing the web add up. And lot of that time is spend absorbing useless information anyhow. I'd probably cut back more myself.

Point being, if you want more time to do one thing, you could start cutting back on other things. Unless you really like doing those other things (like surfing the web/ResetEra). Suppose it all depends on how much time you want to game.