Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Edit this isn't a fucking critique about the state of AAA gaming or whatever . I couldn't be more straightforward.

Games are too fucking long these days. I got shit to do. Please reccommend me short games that I can complete in a reasonable amount of time. Short, focused, satisfying. It's not that deep

I got shit to do I don't have time for these long ass games with meaningless side shit, or games with mutliple routes that require me to experience the full story

Need more games like Dishonored where I can play like ten levels and ...that's it. Then I can replay it with some new shit at my own leisure/not required.

I'm bummed out by long ass games, and the length of shit like Horizon is preventing me from finishing it. And games with weird lengths or requirements like Nier I'm just sort of asleep on

The reward of replaying through a game should be decided if the game's good enough for me to warrant a replaythrough . Very few games have won that courtesy this gen and that's okay I'm perfectly okay with that.

Just don't have time for long ass games stapled with feature/content bloat

Last edited:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
e26.jpg

Maybe just... don't buy long games?

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
thank you, good night

e26.jpg

Maybe just... don't buy long games?

I...never said I don't like long games. I just don't have the time anymore

I don't like the filler and feature bloat that comes with long games though.

"Haha meme image don't buy the game" nigga what if you came up with a halfway decent rebuttal to my grievance and asked shit like "oh silky what genres do you like' and gave me reccommendations of short games instead of being a dick huh

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Depends on the game for me. I'm more than happy to put 100+ hours in a good RPG with satisfying progression and all that jazz.

But I've given a game like Uncharted 4 a hard pass when I heard it's longer than the others (like 20 hours rather than 12?), those games aren't interesting enough to be bloated up like that. The first 3 already felt too long.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I never get this complaint. Who wants to pay $60 for 6 hours? You have the rest of your life to finish it after you buy it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
thank you, good night

But they're right though. If you want short games, there are plenty of those as well. If there are so many long games it means a lot of people want them so no point yelling at the clouds.

A more sensible thing would have been to ask : recommend me some good short games.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, this is why I skip games like TW3 or Horizon. I don't care enough to sink in 100+ hours. Give me more games with the length of Doom or Prey.

Neither TW3 or Horizon is anywhere near 100+ hours unless you feel the need to see every single piece of content the game has. I beat TW3 in 40 hours and that was with doing a lot of side questing.

Nov 8, 2017
You're not alone, but if you're willing to consistently pay full price for such titles you are in the minority. The trends have been clear for a long time now - buyers generally like getting lots of value, they like big open games that take a long time to beat, and they like modes that hook them for long periods of time, be they score attack or (more commonly) multiplayer. People complain about short games charging full price, people complain when games aren't as fully featured as prominent competitors, and people frequently wait for disposable experienced to drop in price before buying them. Selling a million copies at full price vs selling a million over a period of months with extensive price drops means a lot to the fiscal viability of a given title.

I'm with you insofar as having shit to do and not wanting to invest in some vast hundred hour experience regularly, but we are not average consumers and even people who are parents or have busy work schedules do frequently find comfort in things like CoD or WoW that they can keep coming back to, even if it's the only game they play all year.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, short games exist. FPS campaigns for one. And tons of quality indies will do it for you.

But long games are nice too. I love my JRPGs. I usually alternate between one long game and a couple short games. Porque no los dos?

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Forza Horizon is kind of different for long games because like, I don't give a damn about the story lol

I kind of just hop in and out, complete a few races unlock a new zone buy a car and not play it for like another month.

Horizon is the perfect game to dip my toe in and absolutely forget about it. It's a mood game. When I wanna cruise.i say fuck it, let's Horizon for a few hours

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
But there's lots of games that are 6-12 hours etc so what's the issue ?

Is it your wanting massive AAA tentpoles that only last 6 hours etc ? Then yeah your shit out out luck as the market doesn't want that

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
But there's lots of games that are 6-12 hours etc so what's the issue ?

Is it your wanting massive AAA tentpoles that only last 6 hours etc ? Then yeah your shit out out luck as the market doesn't want that

I...never argued that there weren't many short games

I play everything (except 4X games and RTSes lmfao) like I literally don't care, but I would prefer if those games are short cause I got shit to do

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Most games these days require too much of a time investment. It's honestly why i don't get very excited for new games. If I want a long game I'll play a jprg not a game like horizon or god of war. People hate long movies but love long games that try to be cinematic . None of it makes any sense.
Especially when the majority of people don't finish games to begin with. Let's not forget the massive backlogs everyone has. None of it really makes any sense.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Plenty of small indie games out there that meet your criteria.

6-8 hours for single player-only AAA is not an easy sell these days, but there are still many AAA options that you're probably just overlooking.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017

I play everything (except 4X games and RTSes lmfao) like I literally don't care, but I would prefer if those games are short cause I got shit to do

Not every game is made with you in mind. Accept it and play your short games because you've got "shit to do".

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Well good thing that the market has a healthy mix of short and long games.

Not exactly sure what we are arguing here. I do not say that to be a dick, I legitimately do not understand.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I know how you feel. I actually wish Zelda were a smaller game. That said, there are plenty of games that provide a short experience like that, and they are cheaper too.

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has you covered. God of war, ratchet and clank, the order 1886, uncharted, Spyro, the last of us, until dawn.

Single player games with linear gameplay, strong narratives and great mechanics and controls are Sony's specialty.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I love short games personally too, but why would I pay 60 dollars for a 6 hour game if I can an equal if not more amazing game that's 25+hrs (let's say GoW for example)

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Have you considered playing the thousands of digital games that suit your needs?

I buy THQ Nordic and Focus Home titles and hang the reciepts on my walls for them (yes I buy digital games come on man)

So yeah. You know what's good, short game? The Council. Real good stuff.

Sony has you covered. God of war, ratchet and clank, the order 1886, uncharted, Spyro, the last of us, until dawn.

Single player games with linear gameplay, strong narratives and great mechanics and controls are Sony's specialty.

I literally do not care about any of those things because I either beat it already or have no interest.

Linear games aren't necessarily "short.". Uncharted is pretty damn long.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
And some people just want 60-80 hour games.

Thankfully there are plenty of games to fulfill both these desires.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm the same. i can't play long games as much as i'd like but i'm not complaining. it's not the developers fault is it? there are plenty of games out there to suit everyone.

my days of playing 100+ hour games are pretty much over and instead i now try get games in the 5-20 hour range.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost every game release wants a monopoly on your time so you invest more money in it. Thats the industry standard now.

I also get tired of monotonous crap that gets added for the sake of it sometimes, but when its done well (AC Origins is a recent example of a game with loads to do but the exploration was so much fun I didnt mind).

A game that always stayed in my memory as being a perfect length was Splinter Cell Conviction.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I personally need a game to be at the very least 20 hours long for me to consider buying it at $60. Feels like a ripoff otherwise.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Edit this isn't a fucking critique about the state of AAA gaming or whatever . I couldn't be more straightforward.

Games are too fucking long these days. I got shit to do. Please reccommend me short games that I can complete in a reasonable amount of time. Short, focused, satisfying. It's not that deep

Well, clearly the OP could have been a bit clearer if that was your intention since you didnt mention recommendations at all originally.

With that being said, you should play rakuen! An excellent game with a great OST and a very good and heartfelt story. It's also only like 7 hours, so it should be perfect!

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Stealth games have always have the benefit of being respectably lengthy cause God knows you want to play a long ass game involving hiding and slow movement

Blacklist is a bit bloated compared to Conviction but it's still really compact in play hours.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I get you. But for that 1 in a 100 games I play that I fall in love with I want that one to be long so I can stay in that world.

I'll take the long games that I wish were shorter to get that rare game that I'm glad is long.

Expecting RDR2 to be the next one.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I never get this complaint. Who wants to pay $60 for 6 hours? You have the rest of your life to finish it after you buy it.
I think it's because you want to get the full experience and finish the story, but once you've put the game down and return to it, you might feel less invested in finishing the game and less involved in the story. There's also the fact that a lot of modern games have a lot of bloat, while a tighter pacing could make them more enjoyable.

And not all games need to be $60.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I too am quite tired of the AAA industry feeling like every $60 game must be at least 60 hours. I can't tell you how many times I've walked away with a 100 hour experience that was just 'alright' versus an amazingly paced and focused 10 hour game that was much more enjoyable.

You basically just want tightly condensed indie games OP. Furi, Cuphead and Sonic Mania come to mind.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Maybe the industry at large doesn't give a shit what you want or the shit you have to do. Plenty of short games out there anyway.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I too am quite tired of the AAA industry feeling like every $60 game must be at least 60 hours. I can't tell you how many times I've walked away with a 100 hour experience that was just 'alright' versus an amazingly paced and focused 10 hour game that was much more enjoyable.

You basically just want tightly condensed indie games OP. Furi, Cuphead and Sonic Mania come to mind.

Cuphead is actually too long for me. Half of those bosses and those garbage platforming sections could be trimmed off as they're not at all impressive. Just stopped caring.

Sonic Mania and Furi are great. Mania finally manages to tone down the length of 2D Sonic games of recent. (Rush was really long)

Maybe the industry at large doesn't give a shit what you want or the shit you have to do. Plenty of short games out there anyway.

woah damn got me there gymshoe you really cracked the code

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP - you asked for recommendations of short games - what's your opinion on games where the full enjoyment comes from replaying it, like Into The Breach and Invisible Inc.?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Your initial post was not straightforward at all . You never asked for recommendations .....but anyway .

Pretty much any FPS campaign has you covered. By them olo and cheap. TF2 etc.

Hellblade was excellent , and that's about 8 hours .

Edith Finch was great too if you like that sort of thing and there's many games like that in the genre , firewatch etc .

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with taking a few months to beat a long game if you're busy. Why rush?

I'll suggest The Evil Within 1/2 and Resident Evil 7 for some average length games. I am sure you can beat TEW on Normal in no more than 8/9 hours. Doom was a pretty short game too.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
OP - you asked for recommendations of short games - what's your opinion on games where the full enjoyment comes from replaying it, like Into The Breach and Invisible Inc.?

I think I'm pretty In favor of replays so as long as they're like, optional and the core gameplay is tailored well enough to justify it. I listed Dishonored earlier, but Spelunky and Mark of the Ninja are things I would replay now and then.

I've heard great things about Breach. It's not on a platform I want to be on though, so I'll wait.
There's nothing wrong with taking a few months to beat a long game if you're busy. Why rush?

I'll suggest The Evil Within 1/2 and Resident Evil 7 for some average length games. I am sure you can beat TEW on Normal in no more than 8/9 hours. Doom was a pretty short game too.

Evil Within is not a good series but I have 7 in the backlog ready to spin up. DOOM had a perfect length