Dot Matrix

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
What some consider bloat others enjoy. If far cry 5 is your first far cry you will likely enjoy the journey to 100% completion.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I cant be bothered with long SP games anymore. I was REALLY enjoying DOOM when it first released, but around the 8 hour mark I was done. It didn't matter if I was towards the end. I couldn't play it another 4-5 hours. MP games are different for me. I believe its the competitive aspect. I like to win.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
There is a place for long games, and I do play them, but I prefer shorter games overall. There's definitely plenty of games under 15 hours even today.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Piggybacking off the OP, I really miss the days where most RPGs finished around 25 hours, and felt fantastic to finish. I'm not saying they don't exist anymore, but it just feels like most AAA RPGs are now aiming for 100+ hours with a ton if filler.
Yeah, I agree with you on that.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
There's some amazing really short games that make you start again right after the credits roll.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird , cause i see the exact opposite at least when it comes to jrpgs . The games used to be longer just to complete the main story . Then as we moved onto newer generations of consoles , most followed the new standards of 25-40 tops if you do the story , and in the 50-60 hours to do everything filler or extras . Even for western/PC oriented rpgs , when you compare early black isle/bioware days (aside for thenitively shorter Planetscape torment) and the ps3/xbox era , and current titles ... The baldur gate and icewind dale saga certainly felt longer than anything Mass effect or most Dragon age (inquisition being a bloatfest granted ) ... with Kotor 1-2 being a middle transition between those .

There will always be a few exception , but main rpg franchises got shorter imo ...
Interesting. I always felt the max was around 50ish hours before the "era of bloat" began. Even the lengthier RPGs like Neverwinter could be finished with everything done around 50 hours. It just feels like most RPGs aim for 50 hr campaigns with even more bloat added. I guess I'm playing the wrong ones, but lately I end the games thinking there was too much filler

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Agreed, OP. I pay $13 to watch a two hour movie so I'd be happy to pay $60 for a solid 10 hours of gameplay. That would take me a couple months. Otherwise I just leave games incomplete or spend 13 months beating a Zelda: BOTW, for example.

We're the only two.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the same boat OP. Here's some of the best "short" games I've played in the last few years.

INSIDE
SUPERHOT
What Remains of Edith Finch
Little Nightmares
Gorogoa
Firewatch
Until Dawn
Abzu
Trials Fusion
Flower
Hotline Miami

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend a game like The Order 1886. You don't even need to play for a good bit of the 5-6hr run time. I think it would be perfect.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
OP, here are a few options to consider, regardless of whether you have them:

- Hellblade
- Ryse
- Dishonored (including Dishonored 2 & Death of the Outsider)
- Any COD campaign
- Titanfall 2 (campaign)
- Doom (campaign)
- Outlast (including the sequel)

There's lots of options, but they won't always be AAA.

Dec 13, 2017
Interesting. I always felt the max was around 50ish hours before the "era of bloat" began. Even the lengthier RPGs like Neverwinter could be finished with everything done around 50 hours. It just feels like most RPGs aim for 50 hr campaigns with even more bloat added. I guess I'm playing the wrong ones, but lately I end the games thinking there was too much filler

I think that issue mostly lies with open world games in general , rather than rpgs , even if some titles blur both together . Very few open world knows how to tell a good story , and even fewer knows how to tell said good story with a proper pacing and equilibrium VS their perceived need to fill each square foot of mediocre content . Which is a bit why i was not much into early sandboxes like the first gta titles or the elder scrolls . Just like at the poster child for that crap : Assassin Creed . As open world titles those game are usually on the short end of the length stick , unless you loose yourself into the tedious hunt of collectibles and shitty sidequests . Something i don't bother with in the serie

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mirros Edge games are about 6 to 10 hours. First one was especially good, but short.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, OP. I pay $13 to watch a two hour movie so I'd be happy to pay $60 for a solid 10 hours of gameplay. That would take me a couple months. Otherwise I just leave games incomplete or spend 13 months beating a Zelda: BOTW, for example.

We're the only two.

You could've ended BotW at half the time or less if you felt inclined.

The game doesn't put a barrier in front of Ganon's castle or anything. You can end whenever you want.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many games out there. So many. Thousands. There are hundreds being published a month. Plenty of them will fit what you want.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Games are too fucking long these days. I got shit to do. Please reccommend me short games that I can complete in a reasonable amount of time. Short, focused, satisfying. It's not that deep.
---
Just don't have time for long ass games stapled with feature/content bloat

Have you tried using https://howlongtobeat.com?
You can check the average length users report having played a game, or even specify the length of game you're looking for.

I'm basically in your boat - I don't have consistent hours to put into gaming. So whilst I enjoy a long RPG, chances are I'll forgot what's happening or even how to play it between sessions. Finding a good story driven campaign around 8-12 hours means I can probably get through it in a month or so without losing the thread or the motivation to pick it back up.

I just completed Banner Saga 2 last night and it was perfect in terms of length, plus completely fantastic game! Although, I think you said you don't like strategy so maybe not for you ;)

Oct 28, 2017
My solution is to play 6-10 hours then stop unless I love the game.

Either that or I play on easy to get through the game faster to see everything. Like I will be using Funky Kong next month.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried using https://howlongtobeat.com?
You can check the average length users report having played a game, or even specify the length of game you're looking for.

I'm basically in your boat - I don't have consistent hours to put into gaming. So whilst I enjoy a long RPG, chances are I'll forgot what's happening or even how to play it between sessions. Finding a good story driven campaign around 8-12 hours means I can probably get through it in a month or so without losing the thread or the motivation to pick it back up.

I just completed Banner Saga 2 last night and it was perfect in terms of length, plus completely fantastic game! Although, I think you said you don't like strategy so maybe not for you ;)
That site can come in handy, but I prefer Longplays on Youtube since they can really show how long or short a game is.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Let's be even more honest here, games don't need to be "finished". Play them for as long as they are fun or interesting. Once they stop being worth the time, stop.

You know this point may seem counter-intuitive, but it's a valid point in my opinion. Plenty of games I've played, like Skyrim for example, that I have sunk 60 hours into and still never beat. Obviously because I never beat it it's never going to be on my favorite games list because something about it just didn't pull me in strong enough to complete it. But at the same time, I played for 60 hours and had an ok time. I didn't feel burned or feel that I wasted my money or anything.

Just the pacing and amount of side content got me lost on what the point even was. That mixed with me trying to complete it over a few months and you end up completely forgetting everything that happened before you logged on last besides which build you went with. It was still fun while it lasted.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If anything, this is a problem with the impulses of the individual. If you have shit to do, stop playing the game. It's as simple as that.

There's loads of games I don't want to sink a load of time into, so I don't. If it's a big open world game with loads of side content but I'm not that interested in spending lots of time playing it.. I don't - I'll blast through the typically short main story and leave it as is.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I'm trying , really to see your issue .
Additionnal content you can choose to do and ignore if you don't can never be a negative because if you keep doing it , it's a player choice. I have the choice to keep doing the chapters in fire emblem and ignore the paralogues . Heck those paralogue happens Because you , the player choose to watch a S rank conversation FIRST . The distinction is obvious even if it was mistake you can ignore this quest , and pursue the main quest/story

Unless the game is designed well (I think Awakening mostly is), it may not always be player choice. Not early on. How paralogues function isn't obvious right away, and their usefulness isn't totally apparent until you've lost a couple of units (if you play classic and don't reset every time). But I think it's basically wrong that optional content can never be a negative: if it's not well-designed content, or content without a clear purpose, or maybe content that feels meaningful but slowly drains the game of its vigor and interest, then I think it can be a problem, even if it's up to the player to pursue it. My point isn't that Awakening does a particularly bad job, it's that even a well-designed game will have aspects that feel necessary or central to the game, but which time proves to be secondary.

Same in xenoblade 2 .. again i see your problem , but your exemple just doesn't work. All story checks tied to blade habilities don't require grinding or additionnal sidequests . Only checks related to sidequest content do.

I seem to remember that there were two or three story checks that required activating certain abilities, or that forced the player to try resolving something a different way. Is that really not the case?

And this come back to the question that original poster said too. if you're full with the side content , then don't do the side content and progress with the good stuff . If you're playing a game and you're not feelign the side content , just stick to the main quest/story Your final exemple fall into the same category. Even disgaea games , full of content with their item worlds , dark assembly and other gimmicks of town/kindgom building depending on the game always have the clear option of ignoring this stuff and keep pushing toward the main story . Complaining that a game is bloated with content with side stuff that you can ignore doesn't make any sense.

This is where I think we're continuing to talk past each other. Unless you're using a FAQ or relying on someone else's advice, it's not always easy to know what is primary and what isn't. By the time the game has taught you that lesson, it could already be too late. Zelda BOTW is a great example of game that makes it crystal clear.

Because all these games always have the option to just choose to do the stuff you want . At this point it's not the game who has a problem. It's the player that doesn't know how to behave faced with too many options.

Right, except it is the game's problem if it isn't doing a good job of making the difference apparent. Or if it's difficulty seems to suggest the side content really is necessary. There are definitely ways to avoid the problem, I'm not arguing that. All I meant to do is answer this question:

Do some of the poster here care about experiencing the WHOLE game in a short amount , and are bothered by missing out on the extra settings and content ... or do they maybe "fail" to distinct the fluff from the main dishes in the titles they played ?

I think this poster got it right with the last guess there: some games make it easy to pass over the distinction between primary and secondary material.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I understand where you're coming from, OP. As someone with a wife, 3 year old son and a full time career, it's struggle to find the time to sit and play any game let alone one that's filled with padding to lengthen the experience.

For me though, 15-20 hours is my sweet spot. If a game requires more time than that then I normally pass on it or never finish it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just play good games lol. If one of them is 15 hours long rather than 8 hours, spend 2 weeks on it rather than 1. I don't see what the issue is bruv.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
a-way-out-1064790.jpg

Best game I finished all year!
until I beat GOW.
and it was maybe, 5 hours.

Edit: And bro, you need to calm tf down. Reading your posts makes me feel like you wanna hurt somebody, lol.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the game is designed well (I think Awakening mostly is), it may not always be player choice. Not early on. How paralogues function isn't obvious right away, and their usefulness isn't totally apparent until you've lost a couple of units (if you play classic and don't reset every time). But I think it's basically wrong that optional content can never be a negative: if it's not well-designed content, or content without a clear purpose, or maybe content that feels meaningful but slowly drains the game of its vigor and interest, then I think it can be a problem, even if it's up to the player to pursue it. My point isn't that Awakening does a particularly bad job, it's that even a well-designed game will have aspects that feel necessary or central to the game, but which time proves to be secondary.
Your exemple was about fire emblem awakening so i answered about fire emblem awakening . You yourself agree that it's designed well ..so i dunno what is the point.
Either way , in awakening the paralogue appears in a complete separate place from the main mission on the map and it's completly obvious that it's different from the main stuff.
About the bolded , you try a paralogue once , then you know that you need it or not afterwards . do you want more units ? do you seek to upgrade ? do you want more maps ? Any players already know the answer to these question and whenever he needs that . Again , your exemple doesn't work in context

I seem to remember that there were two or three story checks that required activating certain abilities, or that forced the player to try resolving something a different way. Is that really not the case?
The progressions checks are tied to story blades that you get when you have progressed in the story. All the others check are optionnals and not needed to progress.

This is where I think we're continuing to talk past each other. Unless you're using a FAQ or relying on someone else's advice, it's not always easy to know what is primary and what isn't. By the time the game has taught you that lesson, it could already be too late. Zelda BOTW is a great example of game that makes it crystal clear.
You're not looking to min max or to maximise your playtime , you don't need a faq in those games to get to the story ending. Most games will tell the play the player the most direct way to advance the story.

Right, except it is the game's problem if it isn't doing a good job of making the difference apparent. Or if it's difficulty seems to suggest the side content really is necessary. There are definitely ways to avoid the problem, I'm not arguing that. All I meant to do is answer this question:
You're arguing something that is an exception , nor the current state of most games released. Most games follow simple game design rules in order to make sure most players aren't stuck in an impossible state. As long as you follow a game advice , you will have no problem.

I think this poster got it right with the last guess there: some games make it easy to pass over the distinction between primary and secondary material.

Obviously because each game wants you to play everyhing it has to offer , but it's not like the game doesn't tell you what is primary and what is secondary in most cases.Why ? because you can't have a game if you don't have from the start a clear goal on screen or told to you. There are exceptions of course like minecraft or little big planet BUT in most cases , the first thing a game does is to provide a objective to the player

Kowpucky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit this isn't a fucking critique about the state of AAA gaming or whatever . I couldn't be more straightforward.

Games are too fucking long these days. I got shit to do. Please reccommend me short games that I can complete in a reasonable amount of time. Short, focused, satisfying. It's not that deep

I got shit to do I don't have time for these long ass games with meaningless side shit, or games with mutliple routes that require me to experience the full story

Need more games like Dishonored where I can play like ten levels and ...that's it. Then I can replay it with some new shit at my own leisure/not required.

I'm bummed out by long ass games, and the length of shit like Horizon is preventing me from finishing it. And games with weird lengths or requirements like Nier I'm just sort of asleep on

The reward of replaying through a game should be decided if the game's good enough for me to warrant a replaythrough . Very few games have won that courtesy this gen and that's okay I'm perfectly okay with that.

Just don't have time for long ass games stapled with feature/content bloat

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
I feel you. I miss the days of being able to play hours during the week. Now i try and get a few hours in on the weekends but adulthood makes gaming hard. Makes sense though. A lot of games are made with a younger demographic in mind. Younger people have a lot more time to spend playing. I use to only play one game at a time. But now I try and start one long game while also playing a short game in between depending what im in the mood to play.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I got you OP.

Superhot
Sonic Generations
Tomb Raider: Legend
Ridge Racer Type 4
Half-Life: Opposing Force

All five of these are hella fun and under the 10 hour mark.

J3wB0y_072

Feb 18, 2018
Don't know if it was mentioned but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is very short (around 5 hours) and a good game. Also, any Telltale games (The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands are the best). Any Call of Duty campaign (Battlefield 1 too) have a 6 hour campaign.