Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be really funny if this comes out before TESVI.

Anyways, the highlight of the show for me for sure. Can't wait to see more.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like such a waste of their amazing world building tbh.

I think/hope they're banking on Avowed being a big success and then launching Pillars 3 after that where a bigger audience will hopefully pick it up.

Either way it's so fucking depressing that Deadfire bombed.
I was hyped for Tyranny, probably won't see another game in that universe although I'd argue an open world game like Avowed in Tyranny would be super interesting to me. Much more than the Pillars universe to be honest. It's unfortunate though, they're deserving games.

Edit: With BGS' recent struggles, I don't know if I trust them more to make a better TES 6 than whatever Avowed turns out to be. Neither studio has my complete trust at the moment. At least we'll have two games to try out either way.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hope MS' funding helps Obsidian get rid of some of that jank their games sometimes have

Same man. Smooth frame rate, little to no jank, and fun gameplay please. I already know Obsidian is going to nail the world.

It's probably years away still but I'm all ready excited for this.

Do we know how far off this game is?

Based on these posts it seems to have been in works since late 2018: https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...ge-of-booty-a-case-study.116768/post-20800007

Of course game development isn't always linear, things get rebooted, games change scale, consoles, and can't forget a global pandemic. But I would imagine they are making good progress on the game.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they arent forced to make the game 60fps honestly dont think an rpg needs more than 30

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I just don't really like the name yet

Agreed. It belongs to that genre of titles that feel like they're one word because the marketing people said one word was best. I associate this most with modern Disney. "Frozen," "Brave" (which was most egregious because it replaced several good titles during development), "Onward," etc. Oh well. "Avowed" could always grow on me. And within a broad range of acceptability (which "Avowed is safely inside), it's not like it matters much.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It belongs to that genre of titles that feel like they're one word because the marketing people said one word was best. I associate this most with modern Disney. "Frozen," "Brave" (which was most egregious because it replaced several good titles during development), "Onward," etc. Oh well. "Avowed" could always grow on me. And within a broad range of acceptability (which "Avowed is safely inside), it's not like it matters much.
they could have had it where the game is called Avowed and have "Pillars of Eternity" in small text under it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think they just want to make it extra clear you don't need to play Pillars of Eternity to enjoy this. That's probably also why they mention Eora but not Pillars.

They're completely different styles of game after all.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The fantasy setting doesn't particularly inspire me, I'd like to see someone do an RPG in a period historical setting (I'm not counting Assassin's Creed as an RPG). But I hope it's good nonetheless.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Is the last scene cgi or real time? The part where the character holds a sword and spell in each hand.

The graphics in that part looked insane.

I honestly believe that was in-engine and UE5. From the point the arrow went into the cavern the game the trailer had a completely different look. Having seen UE5 demo and Hellblade 2 in engine work, the graphics shown there are within range.

DF pointing out aliasing is encouraging.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Kickstarted the first Pillars (when they were deep trouble because Xbox cancelled a game in 2012). Obsidian and MS have come a long way.
This on the showcase was just enough gameplay-ish to satisfy me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The fantasy setting doesn't particularly inspire me, I'd like to see someone do an RPG in a period historical setting (I'm not counting Assassin's Creed as an RPG). But I hope it's good nonetheless.
While probably not what he's working on right now, Josh Sawyer did outline a historical game about paranormal investigators in postbellum Chicago during the height of American Spiritualism as one of the projects he was interested in working on. As well a murder mystery game similar to Name of the Rose in medieval/early modern Europe.

Most likely though he's working on a much smaller project. Between Grounded and Avowed there's probably not a lot of resources free at Obsidian. So something like the Bike Shop sim game he's talked about probably more than anything. Or something entirely unheard of.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly believe that was in-engine and UE5. From the point the arrow went into the cavern the game the trailer had a completely different look. Having seen UE5 demo and Hellblade 2 in engine work, the graphics shown there are within range.

DF pointing out aliasing is encouraging.
Man Obsidian making a game in Unreal 5 and not working with a buggy BioWare or Bethesda frame work building a large open world rpg is exciting.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
While probably not what he's working on right now, Josh Sawyer did outline a historical game about paranormal investigators in postbellum Chicago during the height of American Spiritualism as one of the projects he was interested in working on. As well a murder mystery game similar to Name of the Rose in medieval/early modern Europe.
Sounds fantastic! Thanks, didn't know that. There's so much fascinating real history to be explored. Maybe I'm just getting old but I don't get excited about generic fantasy world no.4587 any more.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sounds fantastic! Thanks, didn't know that. There's so much fascinating real history to be explored. Maybe I'm just getting old but I don't get excited about generic fantasy world no.4587 any more.
I understand somewhat. But I still enjoy ones that have really good world building. Pillars/Eora is a very well constructed setting that while fantasy treats its history and world building in a really interesting and authentic manner. It makes learning the history and makeup of the world interesting and rewarding as so much of it is presented and handled much like information and events transpire and are recorded, preserved and altered over time. And part of that is due to the fact that people like Sawyer are really into history themselves.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
People still do this here? The need to announce that they're getting a game on PC or rather, that they don't have or want an Xbox? You're not "hurting" MS by buying their games. They don't care where you buy them so no need to clarify that you don't need to touch the accursed Xbox.
The game is releasing on PC too....see the thread title. I play games such as these on PC, as that is my preference.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian and Inxile fans are gonna be really happy next gen. Inxile will surprise alot of people. Studio is growing very fast and they did alot of crazy good hires already. Their game is the game Fargo always wanted to make.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
This has so much potential. MS should throw as much money as possible on this, it has so much potential to blow up and become the next TES

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be really funny if this comes out before TESVI.

Anyways, the highlight of the show for me for sure. Can't wait to see more.
Does Bethesda have two teams working on Starfield and TESVI at the same time? If not whew we won't see those games until the heath death of the universe.
I'm into it. The name does absolutely nothing for me though.
Avowed: A Pillars of Eternity Story

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Does Bethesda have two teams working on Starfield and TESVI at the same time? If not whew we won't see those games until the heath death of the universe.
I mean kind of, they do pre-pro or limited dev on the game further out and full dev on the game closer to releasing. They usually have 3 year gaps between their games, so I would expect it around 2024; TES VI is in development.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, you guys are right. I didn't even remember Starfield, my mind just processes TES VI as Bethesda's next big game.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Obsidian and Inxile fans are gonna be really happy next gen. Inxile will surprise alot of people. Studio is growing very fast and they did alot of crazy good hires already. Their game is the game Fargo always wanted to make.
They are already crying that they wont get anymore crpgs...
But im gonna go ahead and say that isnt true given MS allowed obsidian to make grounded...

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Kickstarted the first Pillars (when they were deep trouble because Xbox cancelled a game in 2012). Obsidian and MS have come a long way.
This on the showcase was just enough gameplay-ish to satisfy me.

I agree. Good use of the "CGI Trailer". We obviously don't know what gameplay will actually look like, but we do know the basic idea here.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
And pretty much all of those titles have massive caveats. I say this as a fan.

KOTOR2- You need mods to get the actual complete game. The original game doesn't even have a proper ending. Also, plenty of bugs.

Alpha Protocol- To say the gameplay is janky would be a massive understatement. The AI is absolutely garbage. The stealth mechanics are broken. The shooting is taken from the original Deus Ex yet makes no sense for this game coming far later. Also, bugs and crashes.

New Vegas- BUGS, CRASHES, CORRUPTED SAVES.

Pillars 1- An overwritten, slog of a game in a niche genre. You best love classic CPRGs with all their flaws because that is what you are getting.

KOTOR2 - That happens when the publisher decides that they want the game out sooner than agreed upon (verbally)

Alpha Protocol - My game didn't crash a single time, Mass Effect 2 crashed during the tutorial/intro. I encounter way less bugs in the game than say Red Dead Redemption which was released around the same time. Sure, the game was janky, but in other areas the game was brilliant and way better than any of it's competitors. Dialogue and the dialogue wheel, choices&consequences etc. made the game a flawed gem. I'm sure Obsidian would have gladly fixed some of the bugs, if Sega had allowed them to. You can also blame the shooting mechanics on Sega.

New Vegas - What do you expect from a Gamebryo game? I've not yet seen a single game made with that engine that didn't have those features though I haven't played the last two Fallouts. They made a way better game in 18 months than Bethesda made in what 2 to 3 years?

Pillars 1 - That was the kickstarter, a classic CRPG like IWD or BG. They delivered on that. Overwritten it is not, try to InXile's Torment.

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
its going to be real interesting to see what obsid can do with a AAA budget, outer worlds was AA i believe? i know it was funded by private division and not Microsoft at least

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Seems like such a waste of their amazing world building tbh.

I think/hope they're banking on Avowed being a big success and then launching Pillars 3 after that where a bigger audience will hopefully pick it up.

Either way it's so fucking depressing that Deadfire bombed.

If I'm Feargus: I would take a break from the Pillars of Eternity saga. They did 2 Pillars of Eternity games + 5 DLCs for those two and Tyranny and a DLC for that as well. Not only is the market a bit saturated for those games currently, the staff members who worked on those projects might want to do something else for a change. They worked on those for a long time.

I'm sure they will return to that saga later on. Most of the key members from Pillars team are definitely taking a breather with Brennecke and some other leads working on Grounded and Sawyer going after one of his passion projects. To me, that's just great management. Obsidian now has the opportunity to do that, they can do smaller or larger projects due to Microsoft and GamePass. You avoid your staff members from getting burnt out by making the same kind of games, one after another.

The IP isn't going anywhere. They can jump back on it later on and meanwhile more and more people will play Pillars of Eternity games and the demand for next installment should grow.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was that 2nd part (1st person mode) in-engine? That looked like gameplay honestly. Looks easily achievable no?

Dr Strange like magic, swords, open world... wow. The story will be good no doubt. I hope MS doesn't rush them. I also hope the extra money they will have will result in a great looking and playing game.

That truly looks so promising.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The kicker would be them developing a first-person Wasteland spin-off for the sake of trolling Fallout :P

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
Most likely though he's working on a much smaller project. Between Grounded and Avowed there's probably not a lot of resources free at Obsidian. So something like the Bike Shop sim game he's talked about probably more than anything. Or something entirely unheard of.

Grounded is made by team of 14 or 15 people
Sawyer's Project Missouri has about 6 people
No idea how many people are working on the two Outer Worlds DLCs
Avowed is obviously "the full team" Phil mentioned in one of the interviews.
Cain and Boyarsky are up to something, most likely in very early pre-production for Outer Worlds 2 (It was confirmed by Brian Heins on Matt Chat that Obsidian has a large project in pre-production mode by a small team )

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
KOTOR2 - That happens when the publisher decides that they want the game out sooner than agreed upon (verbally)

Alpha Protocol - My game didn't crash a single time, Mass Effect 2 crashed during the tutorial/intro. I encounter way less bugs in the game than say Red Dead Redemption which was released around the same time. Sure, the game was janky, but in other areas the game was brilliant and way better than any of it's competitors. Dialogue and the dialogue wheel, choices&consequences etc. made the game a flawed gem. I'm sure Obsidian would have gladly fixed some of the bugs, if Sega had allowed them to. You can also blame the shooting mechanics on Sega.

New Vegas - What do you expect from a Gamebryo game? I've not yet seen a single game made with that engine that didn't have those features though I haven't played the last two Fallouts. They made a way better game in 18 months than Bethesda made in what 2 to 3 years?

Pillars 1 - That was the kickstarter, a classic CRPG like IWD or BG. They delivered on that. Overwritten it is not, try to InXile's Torment.

I don't know why you felt the need to qualify the flaws of each of their games, excuse or not those are their flaws and why Obsidian has never reached mainstream success. Like AP plays bad, I love it because of the story and choices. However, I can't sit there and defend the gameplay to anyone. It's bad. Now, compare that to Mass Effect 2 which is one of the GOAT games in existence and its night and day in terms of overall experience.

The game had very few of the flaws of classic CRPGS. It is like one of the best things about it. And not overwritten at all?

I hate to break it to you, but Pillars 1 was overwritten. Like, horrendously overwritten. Josh Sawyer even admitted to it and they consciously chose to address that with Pillars 2.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
I don't know why you felt the need to qualify the flaws of each of their games, excuse or not those are their flaws and why Obsidian has never reached mainstream success. Like AP plays bad, I love it because of the story and choices. However, I can't sit there and defend the gameplay to anyone. It's bad. Now, compare that to Mass Effect 2 which is one of the GOAT games in existence and its night and day in terms of overall experience.

I actually prefer Alpha Protocol over Mass Effect 2. Sure, one of the games plays very crisp and other doesn't. To me Alpha Protocol has more soul than Mass Effect 2 and it made the game more fun to play. That dialogue system and the cinematic design around it made Mass Effect 2 look terrible when it comes to storytelling. If I wanna play a shooter I'm not playing neither one Mass Effect 2 or Alpha Protocol. Because both are bad at that, yet the gameplay revolves around it. But if I'm playing a CRPG with deep storytelling and overall fun game to play, I'll pick Alpha Protocol always over any of the Mass Effect games.

Well if you are going to critize New Vegas, then you need to critize every game Bethesda had made prior to that. New Vegas was no different to any of those games. Bethesda reached mainstream success even though their games always shipped in rough state.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer Alpha Protocol over Mass Effect 2. Sure, one of the games plays very crisp and other doesn't. To me Alpha Protocol has more soul than Mass Effect 2 and it made the game more fun to play. That dialogue system and the cinematic design around it made Mass Effect 2 look terrible when it comes to storytelling. If I wanna play a shooter I'm not playing neither one Mass Effect 2 or Alpha Protocol. Because both are bad at that, yet the gameplay revolves around it. But if I'm playing a CRPG with deep storytelling and overall fun game to play, I'll pick Alpha Protocol always over any of the Mass Effect games.

Well if you are going to critize New Vegas, then you need to critize every game Bethesda had made prior to that. New Vegas was no different to any of those games. Bethesda reached mainstream success even though their games always shipped in rough state.

First off, your opinion regarding ME2 is fine, but you can recognize that the majority of people don't feel that way, right? Second, New Vegas was different from other Bethesda/GameByro titles, the bugs were game breaking. This was noted in nearly all reviews at the time, that even by Fallout/Bethesda standards, the bugs were insane.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
First off, your opinion regarding ME2 is fine, but you can recognize that the majority of people don't feel that way, right? Second, New Vegas was different from other Bethesda/GameByro titles, the bugs were game breaking. This was noted in nearly all reviews at the time, that even by Fallout/Bethesda standards, the bugs were insane.

I must have been very lucky again, since I did not encounter any game breaking bugs.

Gamebryo was especially back then was barely holding it together. Bethesda had a year or so, more time to make sure their game does not break completely. Do you honestly expect Obsidian is able to do that within the 18 months Bethesda gave them when the engine itself is creating massive amounts of problems? This with a team that has not made any previous game with that engine. Bethesda wanted the game out in that shape, they were doing most of the Q&A for the game.

If you are going blame Obsidian for the rough state of the game, then you need to throw some of that dirt on the publisher whose Q&A team missed some of the bugs and who insisted that game gets released on the original slot even though a month of fixing stuff would have made a huge difference.

Obsidian was not in a position to negotiate a better deal. They had just had a game cancelled and were desperate for work.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I must have been very lucky again, since I did not encounter any game breaking bugs.

Gamebryo was especially back then was barely holding it together. Bethesda had a year or so, more time to make sure their game does not break completely. Do you honestly expect Obsidian is able to do that within the 18 months Bethesda gave them when the engine itself is creating massive amounts of problems? This with a team that has not made any previous game with that engine. Bethesda wanted the game out in that shape, they were doing most of the Q&A for the game.

If you are going blame Obsidian for the rough state of the game, then you need to throw some of that dirt on the publisher whose Q&A team missed some of the bugs and who insisted that game gets released on the original slot even though a month of fixing stuff would have made a huge difference.

Obsidian was not in a position to negotiate a better deal. They had just had a game cancelled and were desperate for work.

I am not arguing otherwise, this debate started about why more people aren't excited about this announcement given Obsidian's past great works. I then explained why those great works failed to achieve mainstream success and thus gain Obsidian the notoriety that would spur massive excitement over this announcement. Of course there are reasons their games had the problems they did, but to the general public those flaws are why Obsidian remains the bastion for "true" RPG fans as opposed to gaining a larger audience.