• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is it will be something like New Vegas where your skills stats don't make or break you, but you will make choices that can limit which factions you can work with and which try and kill you on sight. I really don't see them going back to the Morrowind days where you progress with a faction would come to a dead stop based on your stats or something like that. I would love that though, but I ain't expecting it. At the very least I hope we can get rid of someone who has never cast a spell being the head of the mages guild like stuff but I also imagine it is a tough sell to get the higher-ups to agree to gate content behind stuff like "only mages will ever see this."

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the game I'm most interested in from Microsoft's line-up.

Hopefully Obsidian is able to nail the first person combat in particular. It would be a huge way to differentiate it from other similar games like Skyrim and Kingdom Come.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm pretty sure Josh Sawyer's Pillars of Eternity TTRPG is classless. And I would be surprised if Avowed weren't too. Not that a few sharp distinctions from TES wouldn't be a good idea, but limiting the number of hard choices (e.g., you're a bleakwalker paladin, so you can't ever see this content) seems like a core part of Skyrim's appeal that Obsidian would want to copy.

Ah, I wasn't aware of this. I'm not familiar with the TTRPG. How does it work there, though? I know pretty much anyone can study to become a Wizard or a Chanter, but I thought Ciphers were born as such.

I don't think the class restrictions should be super strict, just enough that it fits with established lore and helps to enhance replayability.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, I wasn't aware of this. I'm not familiar with the TTRPG. How does it work there, though? I know pretty much anyone can study to become a Wizard or a Chanter, but I thought Ciphers were born as such.

I don't think the class restrictions should be super strict, just enough that it fits with established lore and helps to enhance replayability.
Nah, Ciphers are the same way—while some people have more of a talent for it than others, anyone can learn the techniques to become one.

My guess is it will be something like New Vegas where your skills stats don't make or break you, but you will make choices that can limit which factions you can work with and which try and kill you on sight. I really don't see them going back to the Morrowind days where you progress with a faction would come to a dead stop based on your stats or something like that. I would love that though, but I ain't expecting it. At the very least I hope we can get rid of someone who has never cast a spell being the head of the mages guild like stuff but I also imagine it is a tough sell to get the higher-ups to agree to gate content behind stuff like "only mages will ever see this."
I think I'd be happy with New Vegas' level of mutually-exclusive content/choices with heft. I genuinely do doubt Obsidian would actually take a Bethesda-esque approach to choice, honestly—it would just clash so fundamentally with the way they tend to design RPGs.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Nah, Ciphers are the same way—while some people have more of a talent for it than others, anyone can learn the techniques to become one.

I think I'd be happy with New Vegas' level of mutually-exclusive content/choices with heft. I genuinely do doubt Obsidian would actually take a Bethesda-esque approach to choice, honestly—it would just clash so fundamentally with the way they tend to design RPGs.

Ah, well, choosing a class might not be as restrictive as I originally thought, then. Neat.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

9347.jpg

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty excited for this. The idea of Obsidian-izing the Elder Scrolls format can only be an improvement, imo. Being set in Eora is a huge plus for me as well.

Can't imagine that this is anything but holiday 2022 at the earliest, though. Edit: which would still be before ES:VI

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

TTRPG is kind of an extension of Deadfire's multiclassing. Remember how in Deadfire each class drew from a unique "power" source -- "Discipline" for Fighters, "Arcana" for Wizards, "Bond" for Rangers, etc? Well the TTRPG removes the "class" layer,* and characters just gain access to one or more power sources. They can then learn specific actions that draw on those power sources. The main limitation iirc is that you usually need to spend significant downtime to access new power sources. Everyone can learn to harness focus the way a cipher would. It just takes time.

*Lore-wise, the classes are still meaningful terms within the world of Eora. If you're someone who uses arcana powers, people are likely to call you a wizard. Many people who use focus powers choose to become ciphers, etc.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't know if FextraLife is problematic, I'll remove it if so, but this was a nice watch about the game

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is old, but some may be interested. As Klobrille shared, last year Obsidian had a few job postings for the game that turned out to be Avowed.

Nothing particularly unexpected here, but it gives you an idea of what they're building.:
  • "Experience with Unreal Engine 4 would be a plus"
  • "First-person melee combat gameplay"
  • "Combat with an emphasis on an exceptional first-person melee experience"
  • "Combat actions utilizing both first and third person animations"
  • "Branching dialogue"
  • "Conversations and cut scenes"
  • "Day/night cycles"
I'm hoping they're able to nail the combat. With all the Skyrim comparisons, the combat is the one comparison they'll want to avoid.

It also hints at a third person mode, which is nice to see. I also hope the cutscenes and dialogue screens are a little more dynamic than The Outer Worlds'.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is old, but some may be interested. As Klobrille shared, last year Obsidian had a few job postings for the game that turned out to be Avowed.

Nothing particularly unexpected here, but it gives you an idea of what they're building.:
  • "Branching dialogue"
  • "Day/night cycles"
I'm hoping they're able to nail the combat. With all the Skyrim comparisons, the combat is the one comparison they'll want to avoid.

It also hints at a third person mode, which is nice to see. I also hope the cutscenes and dialogue screens are a little more dynamic than The Outer Worlds'.

Glad to see the emphasis on combat. Skyrim had pretty eh combat, but it was so great in other areas (plus it came out almost a decade ago). Good combat + no jank = huge win in my book. Can't wait to see more.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

• "Branching dialogue"
  • "Day/night cycles"

If you can make a TES like experience with better combat, you have likely made a game for the ages.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love that, but I worry it's referring to special kill animations and the like. Hopefully Obsidian will start talking about the game soon and clarify.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't third person animations simply be animations for NPCs like your enemies and companions? The game will likely need both, even if it's only playable in first person.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

• "Branching dialogue"
  • "Day/night cycles"

With the fact that Josh Sawyer absolutely loves Mordhau and he's also the creative director for the entire studio, I have high hopes he'll push for good combat. There's games likes For Honor, Mordhau and others that can be looked at for how to do good first person melee combat.

like 10 hours into Pillars of Eternity

the writing & lore slaps - this Avowed game is gonna be LEGIT

Yes, yes it does. The care that went into writing that world is exceptional.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
For first person melee combat, they should just look at Chivalry and copy that imo.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! I was the same, I thought "you went from Oblivion to this?".

Avowed, once you get used to saying it, rolls off the tongue pretty good.

Reminds me of a doc about Bioware, I think it was, I watched on youtube. Anyway one of the people in that said in his experience every name they came up with for stuff sounds stupid at first until you say it dozens of times.