• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Really liked the look of this
RWoMExI.jpg

FSOH0cF.jpg

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
The pillars games are pretty long and have a ton of writing so playing them is gonna be the absolute best way.

For newbies, I am going through PoE1... It's worth it if you dig isometric RPGs like Fallout, and Baldurs Gate... I do, but prefer them on PC (keyboard and mouse just seem so much more simple). But it's good fun, definitely worth playing (and looking forward to an first person view into this world).

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
PSA for newcomers to Pillars 1: do not read the gold NPC text. It's just stuff written by kickstarter backers, there's a ton of it and it's very boring to read

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But will the game be modder friendly? That will be the true test of beating Oblivion/Skyrim.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This was one of the only games I
was interested in from today. While disappointing it won't be isometric, because that could still be amazing with next-gen upgrades in mind and revamped dialogue system, if they have a big budget and also a MUCH larger scope than Outer Worlds, this game could fill that type of itch for me. Will continue to check out.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
While I liked Outer Worlds quite a bit, I do hope Obsidian look to shore up their talent in the exploration side of things. They're pretty solid in quests and all that, but in both their first person RPGs they've not really managed to fill the world with interesting stuff that isn't mission critical. For all of Bethesda's failings, they're pretty good at making the most innocuous out of the way place interesting to stumble across.

Also, with the news he isn't working on this, I'm so damned curious about Sawyer's next game.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
But will the game be modder friendly? That will be the true test of beating Oblivion/Skyrim.

No way. That's why Bethesda continues to iterate on a relatively ancient engine and why AAA RPGs since Skyrim have focused on "huge open world" and not on things like the NPC schedules, game world interaction, and incredible moddability. Doing all of that from scratch is just too much for any developer.

While I liked Outer Worlds quite a bit, I do hope Obsidian look to shore up their talent in the exploration side of things. They're pretty solid in quests and all that, but in both their first person RPGs they've not really managed to fill the world with interesting stuff that isn't mission critical. For all of Bethesda's failings, they're pretty good at making the most innocuous out of the way place interesting to stumble across.

I'll give you Outer Worlds but New Vegas exploration is way better than Fallout 3 exploration.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a UE5 game then (like Hellblade 2), which means that the trailer might actually be in-engine, it's just strange that they wouldn't outright say so.
that's because it's not. they tell us if a trailer's in-engine/running on hardware. if they don't, then it's cgi. occam's razor and all that

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still strange because you could definitely make a pre-rendered video like this in unreal and call it in-engine
I guess one can argue that "in-engine" means it has to be running in real-time on some kind of hardware. the only difference between real-time and offline is how long it takes to render a frame anyway

Rods

May 1, 2020
I'm excited and skeptical, absolutely loved both PoE 1 and 2 but hated Outer Worlds.

I'm thrilled by the idea that we may see characters from Pillars on this game.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait this is in the same world as Pillars? Interested.

Pillars felt a bit too archaic for me, but the world seemed interesting enough. And darker than Elder scroll games, which is good. Looking forward to seeing more.

Jun 5, 2018
Looks cool for sure though I wish they would consider put a third person option in so character customisation can mean something more than in the inventory screen, first person is more immersive but I play RPG's as much for an immersive story and gameplay as I do for the characters customisation.

Dec 15, 2017
I don't get why aren't folks more hyped for this. It's my dream game, a Skyrim killer by Obsidian! And I don't buy the narrative that there is no hype because the game is far from release. Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and God of War were hyped like crazy even 4 to 5 years before release.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this respects the POE classes, some kinda Elder Scrolls level everything and become a mageknightroguearcher BS would suck. Classes are great replayability for me.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Didn't know it was in the same world as PoE, my interest has increased a lot, at first I thought it was going to be a "Elder Scrolls wannabe", but the world of PoE has a lot to offer.

I also dig the underground dungeon exploration setting, the pirate theme for PoE 2 was not bad but I prefer a darker setting for this kind of games.

Deleted member 74623

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 14, 2020
I don't get why aren't folks more hyped for this. It's my dream game, a Skyrim killer by Obsidian! And I don't buy the narrative that there is no hype because the game is far from release. Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and God of War were hyped like crazy even 4 to 5 years before release.
Shenmue was a beloved franchise that needed a sequel to finish the story. FFVII is the most popular jrpg of all time, so a remake would obviously generate enormous hype. And God of War has always been a critical and sales powerhouse

Obsidian doesn't have a track record like that. They've made one beloved game, New Vegas (you could argue for Stick of Truth too). Pillars isn't even that popular, and Outer Worlds was supposed to be the "Fallout killer", and look how that turned out. I think it's best to keep expectations in check until we see more

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I'm all in for new games, but kinda sucks that the new "pillars" isn't really a crpg :(

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Shenmue was a beloved franchise that needed a sequel to finish the story. FFVII is the most popular jrpg of all time, so a remake would obviously generate enormous hype. And God of War has always been a critical and sales powerhouse

Obsidian doesn't have a track record like that. They've made one beloved game, New Vegas (you could argue for Stick of Truth too). Pillars isn't even that popular, and Outer Worlds was supposed to be the "Fallout killer", and look how that turned out. I think it's best to keep expectations in check until we see more
One beloved game? Knights of the Old Republic 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity are all amazing and extremely ambitious games that tried to push the RPG genre forward.

These games might not have the mass appeal of say GTA or Final Fantasy 7, but (personally speaking) they are a hell of a lot more interesting to me and most of them have at least achieved the status of cult game for good reasons.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Because we haven't seen anything???

Also, Pillars was a niche game in a niche genre.

One beloved game? Knights of the Old Republic 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity are all amazing and extremely ambitious games that tried to push the RPG genre forward.

These games might not have the mass appeal of say GTA or Final Fantasy 7, but (personally speaking) they are a hell of a lot more interesting to me and most of them have at least achieved the status of cult game.

And pretty much all of those titles have massive caveats. I say this as a fan.

KOTOR2- You need mods to get the actual complete game. The original game doesn't even have a proper ending. Also, plenty of bugs.

Alpha Protocol- To say the gameplay is janky would be a massive understatement. The AI is absolutely garbage. The stealth mechanics are broken. The shooting is taken from the original Deus Ex yet makes no sense for this game coming far later. Also, bugs and crashes.

New Vegas- BUGS, CRASHES, CORRUPTED SAVES.

Pillars 1- An overwritten, slog of a game in a niche genre. You best love classic CPRGs with all their flaws because that is what you are getting.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Because we haven't seen anything???

Also, Pillars was a niche game in a niche genre.

And pretty much all of those titles have massive caveats. I say this as a fan.

KOTOR2- You need mods to get the actual complete game. The original game doesn't even have a proper ending. Also, plenty of bugs.

Alpha Protocol- To say the gameplay is janky would be a massive understatement. The AI is absolutely garbage. The stealth mechanics are broken. The shooting is taken from the original Deus Ex yet makes no sense for this game coming far later. Also, bugs and crashes.

New Vegas- BUGS, CRASHES, CORRUPTED SAVES.

Pillars 1- An overwritten, slog of a game in a niche genre. You best love classic CPRGs with all their flaws because that is what you are getting.
That's pretty much a guarantee with Obsidian games, yes. I'm personally a big fan of ambitious games that shoot for the stars and land on the moon. On the other hand they are now not working on a short notice deadline as was the case with their previous projects and I'm personally very excited to see what they can do with better backing.

Deleted member 74623

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 14, 2020

These games might not have the mass appeal of say GTA or Final Fantasy 7, but (personally speaking) they are a hell of a lot more interesting to me and most of them have at least achieved the status of cult game for good reasons.
Those are good games, but those aren't on the same level as New Vegas. It's the game everyone refers to when they talk about Obsidian. That's why they always put "From the developers of Fallout: New Vegas". They're basically the devs who made Fallout: New Vegas whenever most people bring them up. That's where most of the hype they get comes from. It's like how Rockstar made Bully and Manhunt, but that's not what everyone associates them with

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Honestly if only they showee a snippet of gameplay instead if CGI everyone would be losing their minds about this game. The fact that it's CGI has really dampened the excitement for it, but personally this is still the most exciting project announced for next gen. Give Obsidian all the time they need, this could be one of those games that defines a gen kind of like Skyrim was