• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

X + Pro owners, are you switching to buying 3rd party on X?

• No, I have an X for exclusives

Votes: 63 8.1%
  • No, I don’t want to fragment my library

Votes: 252 32.4%
  • Yes, but for other reasons

Votes: 62 8.0%
  • Yes, I’m chasing visual upgrades

Votes: 401 51.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32442

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
User Warned: System Warring - This thread is not about exclusives
personally i don't care about third party my only interest lies in Exclusives so i prefer the playstation this generation so far. I hope in the near future that Microsoft comes up with a line up that does interest me.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Going to get an X soon but will only be non multiplayer stuff I get for it. None of my irl friends have an Xbox anymore.

TheRoyalBoob

Nov 16, 2017
In the camera world they always advise to invest in your lenses because camera bodies come and go.
This is relevant here. Power is not the only consideration, especially at this stage in the gen cycle.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah sorry the X is waste of money really. I have a Nice PC with a 1080 i got for not so long ago. So any Xb game i want to try out i get it there.
PSpro for exclusives and some multi.
I'm not sure why you posted when the OP asked for owners of both consoles. If you dont own them, then your opinion isnt being sought.

Not me.
Anyway, thread title is just wrong. 'Best version' is not Xbox One X, that is just an incremental step up and I don't find it very logical to draw an arbitrary line there. You either don't care that much about graphics, in which case the PS4 Pro is just as good or you DO care about graphics and play on PC. If you want the 'best version' as in the thread title, there's really no question which platform to play on.

The gymnastics on display to discredit the Xbox is bloody impressive. Any option but Xbox right?
1. Console gamers don't play on PC
2. Console gamers that chase visuals will experience significant leap over Pro (on certain games that take advantage of X)

3. Knowing that the door is open of other 3rd parties to take advantage of the system, and if they do then consumers get a satisfying bump. This possibility is another reason why the console is attractive.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
personally i don't care about third party my only interest lies in Exclusives so i prefer the playstation this generation so far. I hope in the near future that Microsoft comes up with a line up that does interest me.

That's cool, but the thread isn't asking why aren't you buying an Xbox one x. It's asking to people who own both, have you switched over to getting Multiplatform games on the x. Surely the question is not that difficult? There are ample threads for you to post regarding te lack of Xbox exclusives specifically tailored for you.

Deleted member 32442

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
That's cool, but the thread isn't asking why aren't you buying an Xbox one x. It's asking to people who own both, have you switched over to getting Multiplatform games on the x. Surely the question is not that difficult? There are ample threads for you to post regarding te lack of Xbox exclusives specifically tailored for you.
just relax a little bit :D

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
I have both Pro and an X, and I buy games on both. I think (my personal opinion don't attack me, your opinion is just as valid) gamers are becoming conditioned to think they can tell the difference, when in fact the naked eye in motion will not tell the difference most times between a game like Destiny running on a Pro or X.

Who plays games, pauses, zooms in on the grass in the background, and cause the edges are not as smooth, as the other zoomed in picture on the X version, their experience is diminished?

I do appreciate the guys at DF, but I don't play games and analysis them like that, I can't really think of a big AAA game where the experience was vastly greater on one of the high end consoles.

But as I said, I play all games across both Pro and X.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Yeah I sold my PS4 and switched to X1X for multiplats and online. I bought a Switch for exclusives. I am much more into Switch exclusives than Sony's since I can play them on the go. I also have a monster gaming PC for RTS/MMO/VR and MOBAs.

Pretty happy with this setup TBH.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
The Pro is for exclusives which are pretty much all single player games so I don't need PS+. X is for everything else, so it works out nicely.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
X is nice but assuming the PS5 is backwards compatible, the X is irrelevant. Imo this is the generation backwards compatibility becomes critical and MS fucked up out the gate. I loved my X while I had it but I always found myself buying PS4 titles regardless. Like RDR2 for example is a PS4 Buy, built from the ground up for PlayStation implies the X version will be more brute force and less finesse.

Interesting, as I it was something I knew of but didn't think much about. Exclusive content and third party games that were built on a PS4 Dev kit then ported to other platforms for release. Arkham Knight comes to mind here.

However, sounds like SottR will be getting some hefty X1X polish of they can have the game run at the claimed 4k/60. However, I'm thinking that 4k has to be interlaced/checkerboarded if that's the case.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a decent number of people either ignored or don't care about the point of the thread and just wanted to troll SMH. I typically buy the best version of any multiplatform game, so I'll probably buy most of them on the 1X.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I was given an xbox one x for free through work and I hardly use it. I have gamepass for it that was also given for free and I still barely use it.

I just prefer ps4 as pretty much everyone I know games on it and my gf and I gameshare so big reason why I don't care to get games for the One X.

Tbh I haven't noticed a huge difference between the two to warrant a total change for me.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was a huge PC guy (GTX 1080 to) but am selling it and will get a PS4 Pro even though the Xbox has a slight, and I mean very slight, bump in fidelity and frame rate. I like having just one console and would not fragment my collection.

I also plan on playing games in performance mode. I sit far enough away that frame rate is more noticeable over resolution

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
X is nice but assuming the PS5 is backwards compatible, the X is irrelevant. Imo this is the generation backwards compatibility becomes critical and MS fucked up out the gate. I loved my X while I had it but I always found myself buying PS4 titles regardless. Like RDR2 for example is a PS4 Buy, built from the ground up for PlayStation implies the X version will be more brute force and less finesse.
I'm a little confused by this post as it seems like Xbox is way ahead on Backwards Compatibility and has already promised it for next gen while Sony is silent and far less supportive of BC so far.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I was a huge PC guy (GTX 1080 to) but am selling it and will get a PS4 Pro even though the Xbox has a slight, and I mean very slight, bump in fidelity and frame rate. I like having just one console and would not fragment my collection.

I also plan on playing games in performance mode. I sit far enough away that frame rate is more noticeable over resolution

Every game doesn't have a performance mode just because it's on the Pro. Some games just add 4k/HDR settings.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a bizarre thread. People used to make the OG xbox1 vs ps4, 900p - 1080p gap seem so vast that it wasn't worth buying an xbox.

In supported games, the x1x and pspro gap is far, far wider.

Nov 1, 2017
No, the ecosystem is difficult to jump away from right now. It's a perfect storm of not paying for two monthly services with overlapping free games + gathering friends to switch ecosystems too and play coop + Limited free time.

I'm mostly using X1X for the backwards compat upscaling older games and as a handy 4k blu ray player.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
In the camera world they always advise to invest in your lenses because camera bodies come and go.
This is relevant here. Power is not the only consideration, especially at this stage in the gen cycle.

Exactly why I kept buying games on Xbox that were better on PS4. I trusted MS more than Sony not to screw me over. My trust has turned out to be well placed.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

Slight? no very much no

DF Quotes:
ACO "Impressive resolution boosts over PS4 Pro"
BF2 "Significant resolution boosts over PS4 Pro"
WF2 "Xbox One X offers up a big win over the Pro in terms of image quality and delivers a beautiful 4K gaming experience"
FarCry5 "Far Cry 5 impresses on all consoles - but it's extra special on Xbox One X"
Overwatch "A big upgrade over the standard console - and PS4 Pro."
And many more I can list

Last edited:

ShadowkillXNA

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought an xbox one x at launch with the intentions of doing this, and while the difference in most games is there over the ps4 pro, it just wasn't significant enough to me to justify keeping the system around so I sold it.
Especially after having the system a few weeks, I started to notice the differences less and less. Other factors were involved also.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Slight? no very much no

DF Quotes:
WF2 "Xbox One X offers up a big win over the Pro in terms of image quality and delivers a beautiful 4K gaming experience"
FarCry5 "Far Cry 5 impresses on all consoles - but it's extra special on Xbox One X"
And many more I can list
I watched their video and the differences they point out aren't that significant. It's not like the PS4 pro is doing 30fps and the Xbox is doing 60fps. It's more around resolution and textures. Unless you are sitting 2 feet from your tv, you won't see much difference

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Slight? no very much no

DF Quotes:
And many more I can list
Please go ahead and list them because the list of those where the differences are non existent is much larger. As someone who owns both consoles, The differences are slight at best other than a hand full of titles. I've played those games and the only which is at all 'significant' is BF2 and even that still looks significantly worse than 1080p ultra on PC. Furthermore, there are games that have pro patches that don't have X patches like WD2, COD MWR, ...etc. The ACO demo was the reason I purchased my X and let's just say the e3 demo looked significantly better. Imo that game looks quite poor and the animation is even worse. Wake me up when devs actually start doing something useful with the extra power.

Last edited:

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I watched their video and the differences they point out aren't that significant. It's not like the PS4 pro is doing 30fps and the Xbox is doing 60fps. It's more around resolution and textures. Unless you are sitting 2 feet from your tv, you won't see much difference

I think I could see the difference on my 60in tv of the improved textures, res, and effects more than 2ft from my tv. I mean games like overwatch there's quite a difference going from 1080p to full flat native 4k on my 4k tv. But eh I guess past 2ft might as well keep res at 720p for the sake of it

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How so? I have a 65" 4k Vizio P and when I game on my PC, I can barely see the difference between normal and ultra in most games. What I do notice is frame rate. According to DF, the frame rate and frame time is fairly consistent across both platforms.

To the OPs question around splitting between PS and Xbox, I'd rather stick to one platform instead off going back and forth

Oct 25, 2017
it was more an answer to this part

Maybe it is you who should relax and just enjoy games.

Why did you come into this thread? Just to ring your "lolz Xbox isn't worth owning" bell? You've contributed nothing to the topic whatsoever. For the record I don't even own an Xbox and I have a pro and was curious to read statistics of owners of both consoles. Not why the Xbox one isn't owning.

Deleted member 32442

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
Why did you come into this thread? Just to ring your "lolz Xbox isn't worth owning" bell? You've contributed nothing to the topic whatsoever. For the record I don't even own an Xbox and I have a pro and was curious to read statistics of owners of both consoles. Not why the Xbox one isn't owning.
you know what forget it you guys are just ridiculous have a good day

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

Not really a slight difference at all. You sure you have the settings right on your 4k tv?

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Man, I really wanted to get the X-box One X. It has an amazing controller, awesome backward compatibility, a beautiful console design (thanks to the amazing Andrew Kim https://www.instagram.com/mnmllymnml/?hl=en), and it being the most powerful console. The problem? I already have a PS4 Pro, and I can't really just spend the extra $500 for slightly better graphics and performance. I was going to do it. I pre-ordered (And forgot to cancel it, so I actually received it and had to return it), but I felt like it was an unnecessary purchase. Before, I was going to get it for sure, because of Scalebound. Yep, Scalebound alone was reason enough for me, but that got cancelled (still hurts). I was actually waiting for a great exclusive to help me make the decision, but it never happened. Microsoft has disappointed me by not securing any exclusive that would be the system seller for me, and after closing many studios this generation, I am not sure they will make one.

Microsoft, please up your game! Please make great exclusive, please secure deals with other developers, and then I will buy your system. I still remember the original X-Box. Jesus, that system had soooo many good exclusives. I was younger back in the day, but I remember watching my cousin play Ninja Gaiden and being amazed by it.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really a slight difference at all. You sure you have the settings right on your 4k tv?
ISF calibrated on both my Sony X900e and Vizio P.

Frame pacing to me is key. If there is a small visual fidelity difference but the frame pacing is almost the same, I'd rather keep all my games in one ecosystem then split it. Especially since BC is so big now. Next generation I'm hoping that a lot of big franchise games will up the frame rate and pacing of old games on the new hardware.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I can't tell if these people genuinely lack any sort of reading comprehension, or they're just flat out going into console wars mode.
I don't understand the Microsoft hate. I have all three consoles (Pro and X) and they all do nice things. The Xbox one X shits over the Pro from a 10 mile building, it's a fact. Not sure what the problem is. I prefer Sony style of exclusives but if I will get a native 4k on the ☓ , that's where I am going.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't understand the Microsoft hate. I have all three consoles (Pro and X) and they all do nice things. The Xbox one X shits over the Pro from a 10 mile building, it's a fact. Not sure what the problem is. I prefer Sony style of exclusives but if I will get a native 4k on the ☓ , that's where I am going.

It really doesn't shit over the Pro, but in some games the extra grunt looks nice for sure.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't shit over the Pro, but in some games the extra grunt looks nice for sure.
Oh but it does. The extra 4gb of VRam help with textures, the stronger GPU, the faster memory bandwidth, etc. It can push higher resolutions. Fortnite and Overwatch are great examples. The issue is Microsoft first party cannot leverage like Sony can... God of War? Uncharted? Horizon? Those games look mind blowing. Better than most stuff on the X.

Oct 29, 2017
The biggest thing for me with buying third party games on the One X over my Pro actually has very little to do with graphics. It's having my console not sound like it's trying to take-off

Nov 1, 2017
I own both but the Pro is just for exclusives. Even before the X came out I was getting all multiplats there, it's what my friends own and I'm way deeper in their ecosystem than Sony's due to BC and stuff like LFG and achievements. Plus I gameshare with my roommate so it just makes more sense to buy games on there.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
For most of the generation I got 3rd parties on PS4 and then Pro for the visual fidelity. Rare exceptions in cases where I knew I wanted to play a multiplayer game with someone and they had Xbox. Now, I prefer the controller, achievements, the user interface, most everything about the console. Now that I can play "the best version of the game" on Xbox my Pro is for exclusives only. My overall experience with the Xbox for everything not related to games was always better (better download speeds, better usability, better controller, etc.), I'm just glad they finally got the 'game' part of the 'game console' right.

Status
Not open for further replies.