• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

X + Pro owners, are you switching to buying 3rd party on X?

• No, I have an X for exclusives

Votes: 63 8.1%
  • No, I don’t want to fragment my library

Votes: 252 32.4%
  • Yes, but for other reasons

Votes: 62 8.0%
  • Yes, I’m chasing visual upgrades

Votes: 401 51.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Yes, given I feel very safe about my library transferring to the next Xbox. The added visual quality is great, too. Didn't have a Xbox One for quite a long time, so I did play a lot of multi-platforms on PS4 during those days. Wish my saves carried over somehow, but I know it doesn't work! It has been great to find some of my old stored 360 saves though - something which I enjoy about BC that remasters usually can't give you. So for me, BC and being in one ecosystem are crucial, but added visuals are a nice argument in favor of the purchase, too, as well as reduced noise when gaming.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'm a little confused by this post as it seems like Xbox is way ahead on Backwards Compatibility and has already promised it for next gen while Sony is silent and far less supportive of BC so far.

It's more that most people already had a strong PS4 library. It took the Xbox One until last year to drop Scorpio and have better performing titles. So I continue to buy everything on PS4 so I'll have access to it next gen on PS5. My digital library is too large. Why would I have Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One when I already have the other two on PS4?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you know what forget it you guys are just ridiculous have a good day
Why are you deflecting? You came in this thread which is about multiplat titles to talk about how you only care about exclusives. Once people called you out on it and explained the topic you tried changing your story so why are we being ridiculous?

The same issues come up whenever a game is compared about how they perform on each system, where we have people like you who want to change the discussion and be about exclusives.

We all know the PS4 and its big brother the Pro is a great platform but for those fortunate enough to also have a Xbox One X they might decide to get the multiplat games on one or the other for various reasons. It's that a problem for you?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely fucking despise my xbox.

I've only got it for exclusive titles that are not on pc.. so like.. Halo.

I'd rather play the lesser version and stay on my playstation, never bothered me on PS3 and won't bother me here.

This is the weirdest comment of this thread. You should probably sell your Xbox or burn it or something. But despising a box designed to play games? Ok...

Why even buy something you despise? I mean the next Halo will be on PC soooooo.

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
For those who own both consoles

I care a lot about graphics. Not enough to want a PC, but otherwise I care a lot. Not that several patches and games have come out with proven leaps on Xbox One X, I got one last week and plan to buy all future 3rd party games there.

Now initially I didn't care about X because I find Xbox to be a struggle Brand this gen and didn't want to fragment my library between some 3rd party on Pro and some on X... but after getting a 4K TV and seeing games like Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Origins, The Division, Shadow of War, and more have leaps better visuals on X, I've converted.

Granted, exclusives on PS4 Pro make up the bulk of my future guaranteed buys, but stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider? I now feel like I need the best console version.

Did anyone else go through this? Just chasing the best versions visually?
Yes, but I'm getting them on PC

For reference I have a ps4 pro, switch,, and used to have an Xbox.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
It's more that most people already had a strong PS4 library. It took the Xbox One until last year to drop Scorpio and have better performing titles. So I continue to buy everything on PS4 so I'll have access to it next gen on PS5. My digital library is too large. Why would I have Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One when I already have the other two on PS4?
So you have an X??

Nov 12, 2017
Why would I have Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One when I already have the other two on PS4?
There are people that like to play best version of games ..and this thread is for who have both consoles . being attached to an ecosystem is not a valid point (I repeat if u have both consoles!!) From last year and for the next (minimum) 2 years best version will be on Xbox I don't know if is enough for you but for me it is ...I mean absolutely...my PS4 is basically collecting dust from when I got my X and is just turned to play those few ..between Sony exclusive games that are my taste
No reason to play inferior version for me really

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are people that like to play best version of games ..and this thread is for who have both consoles . being attached to an ecosystem is not a valid point (I repeat if u have both consoles!!) From last year and for the next (minimum) 2 years best version will be on Xbox I don't know if is enough for you but for me it is ...I mean absolutely...my PS4 is basically collecting dust from when I got my X and is just turned to play those few ..between Sony exclusive games that are my taste
but they are the minority .around 34 million of 36 million xbox1 users play the most inferior version of all games and they didnt run out to buy an X. so u r in a minority which is perfectly fine . PS4pro stats and xb1x stats compared to their base models show that only minority of people care for this.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely.

I prefer the PS4 ecosystem for the exclusives and controller, but if a game is sensibly better looking on the X, that's the version I'll buy.

Oct 27, 2017
Since I have both, I buy 3rd party games for the X if they have X enhancements, but for the pro if there are no X enhancements. I've always been lucky enough to be able to get all the consoles at or within a year of release, so I've never really been attached to any particular ecosystem. I've always gotten games for whatever system ran them the best at the time.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely.

I prefer the PS4 ecosystem for the exclusives and controller, but if a game is sensibly better looking on the X, that's the version I'll buy.
the only reason i wont do this is because i know PS5 has PS4 BC and these games will all look better there(compared to PS4 pro). since the code is open for a stronger machine to take advantage of (boost mode on PS5 ).so i dont want to fragment my library. lets see till when i can hold out . i miss gears from my 360. hopefully MS will change my mind this E3.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
the only reason i wont do this is because i know PS5 has PS4 BC and these games will all look better there(compared to PS4 pro). since the code is open for a stronger machine to take advantage of (boost mode on PS5 ).so i dont want to fragment my library. lets see till when i can hold out . i miss gears from my 360. hopefully MS will change my mind this E3.

Wait, was this confirmed ? If so that's awesome.

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Yes but for other reasons.... the more i can play actual games on my next box, the better. Today's game are not free, so were games from the past, and in both cases tend to cost even more than the last gen.

Microsoft does a great with BC. Since the net tells me PS5 has no BC, and that Sony is likely to allow BC on a paid service only with decreased performances, i'm more likely to skip PS5 for the most part of the gen, at least until a slim or pro model, to get day one the next XBOX. The only problem i have with Sony is... how cool i find their exclusives. I feel like a SEGA boy again playing those!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X is nice but assuming the PS5 is backwards compatible, the X is irrelevant. Imo this is the generation backwards compatibility becomes critical and MS fucked up out the gate. I loved my X while I had it but I always found myself buying PS4 titles regardless. Like RDR2 for example is a PS4 Buy, built from the ground up for PlayStation implies the X version will be more brute force and less finesse.
Everything in this post is wrong. X plays old Xbox games to 360 ganes, alot of hardcore gamers are buying X just to replay or enjoy these via BC. PS5 isn't out and you have no idea of it'll be implemented like MS consoles, or if it'll be free. But if you do want to hypothesize you can say Xbox 2 will carry on the good work MS have done and already proven, continuing to invest in Xbox eco system will pay off in a way others haven't been able to prove, so the X can't be irrelevant as you say.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Judging what's happened with the X with OGX and X360 games, why wouldn't we presume the next Xbox also won't offer the same exact thing? Not wanting to fragment your library is fair enough, but guessing the PS5 is going to offer a better experience than the next Xbox... is just that. A guess. Now, I'm of the belief that you're right and that the PS5 will be back compat with PS4 games, but Sony haven't been openly talking about forwards compatibility as MS has, and to a lesser degree Nintendo have.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
not confirmed yet but bookmark my comment to come back to in a year ;)

Got it, so just the continued mental gymnastics to support Sony. Mythical BC from Sony (although I hope they do), Don't want to fragment my library (since when is this BS a thing), I can';t see the difference (but if it was 1080 -> 900 I would vomit on the floor and throw a tantrum). Man, I just really wish people would stop with the BS. Just say "I only want to use a PS4". There is nothing bad with that, everyone has their own choice. What kills me is the BS justifications people find for their console warring... (cue the opinions...how do they work, persecution complex, etc posts)

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
PS4 Slim for exclusives and games I prefer on console (fighters) + PC for multiplats. It's honestly pretty easy to have a better experience on even a fairly affordable PC if you know how to score deals and care more about framerate than 4k or 4kish. I sort of overbuilt, because I went from 2560x1440 to 4k, was underwhelmed, so went to 3440x1440 gsync and couldn't be happier. Drastically better framerate, ability to disable trash like motion blur and chromatic abberation, much better load times, etc.

Am interested in grabbing an S for some OG Xbox games though. MS has been doing solid work in services. Disappointing about MechAssault though :'(

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
X is nice but assuming the PS5 is backwards compatible, the X is irrelevant. Imo this is the generation backwards compatibility becomes critical and MS fucked up out the gate. I loved my X while I had it but I always found myself buying PS4 titles regardless. Like RDR2 for example is a PS4 Buy, built from the ground up for PlayStation implies the X version will be more brute force and less finesse.

I'm with you that MS F'ed up out of the gate. Royally. But what is this in the bold? What does this even mean?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got it, so just the continued mental gymnastics to support Sony. Mythical BC from Sony (although I hope they do), Don't want to fragment my library (since when is this BS a thing), I can';t see the difference (but if it was 1080 -> 900 I would vomit on the floor and throw a tantrum). Man, I just really wish people would stop with the BS. Just say "I only want to use a PS4". There is nothing bad with that, everyone has their own choice. What kills me is the BS justifications people find for their console warring... (cue the opinions...how do they work, persecution complex, etc posts)
i was just talking about myself. I dont want to fragment my digital game library as i have only one spot for a game console in my entertainment center. but this is my limitation. and sony at the moment appeals to my taste in gaming more than MS. I dont think anything is wrong with that or any mental gymnastics are done.

Luckydog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
i was just talking about myself. I dont want to fragment my digital game library as i have only one spot for a game console in my entertainment center. but this is my limitation. and sony at the moment appeals to my taste in gaming more than MS. I dont think anything is wrong with that or any mental gymnastics are done.

Sony makes fantastic single player games, so I completely understand those games appealing to many. 80+ million owners cannot be wrong. I held off on a PS4 pro as my plain one was fine until God of War shipped and I could not resist the special edition console (even though some think its ugly). Perhaps its not you, but the general impression I get from this thread is "Any edge case excuse I can find to only play on Sony". Great exclusive games should be enough.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
For multiplatform titles, I'll probably buy them on X, except for when online multiplayer is a big deal and I want to play that stuff on PSN. e.g. Monster Hunter World.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Since I have both, I buy 3rd party games for the X if they have X enhancements, but for the pro if there are no X enhancements. I've always been lucky enough to be able to get all the consoles at or within a year of release, so I've never really been attached to any particular ecosystem. I've always gotten games for whatever system ran them the best at the time.
With or without dedicated X enhancements, the X will almost always perform better. It's a more powerful system.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I was incredibly disappointed with the OG Xbox One and I had high expectations since the 360 was an awesome platform. I played pretty much everything on my PS4 / Pro for the past few years. I would play BF4 (720p Horror!) on Xbox One because thats where my friends were at. Things changed after I bought the X and Ive been very impressed with the hardware. So yes, I buy all third party on X and exclusives on PS4 Pro. My concern is, will we ever see what the X is fully capable of? Sony is doing an amazing job pushing the hardware to the max.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I'm kind of taking it on a case-by-case basis. I'm mostly a single player gamer, I bought a Pro at launch and got an X a few months back during the Ebay 20% off deal where I got it, GTA5, and a controller for $400. I picked up Far Cry 5 on XB1, and that's the first and only 3rd party titles I've grabbed on it so far. I'll probably get RDR2 on it because I expect that game to push both boxes pretty hard, and the X tends to stay a lot quieter for me at least. I've been playing God of War on my Pro, and holy cow it's a wind tunnel right on my desk at home.

Most 3rd party and XB1 exclusive stuff that comes to the PC day-and-date though, I'll probably continues to pick up on PC as long as it's not the Windows Store, in which case I'll grab it on the X.

Nov 12, 2017
but they are the minority .around 34 million of 36 million xbox1 users play the most inferior version of all games and they didnt run out to buy an X. so u r in a minority which is perfectly fine . PS4pro stats and xb1x stats compared to their base models show that only minority of people care for this.
This thread is about who own both console ...in this thread we are talking about the minority
The only reasonable and logic thing to buy a ps multiplat over the x1 superior version would be if I've to play with someone on PSN owining both console ...as I always did there are no other valid reason to buy an inferior version of the same game

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is about who own both console ...in this thread we are talking about the minority
The only reasonable and logic thing to buy a ps multiplat over the x1 superior version would be if I've to play with someone on PSN owining both console ...as I always did there are no other valid reason to buy an inferior version of the same game
you are correct .dont know why i assumed we are in a sales thread . sorry ;)

Oct 30, 2017
For the most part, yes. Only exceptions are if it's an online heavy game, as most of my friends are PS4, or if it's a game I want to get on my PC (like Far Cry 5)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That minority are also the early adopters which are extremely valuable to the platform holders. It's also worth considering that Pro and X are still a lot more expensive than their base model counterparts and haven't been out as long (X has only been out 6 months and is credited for sizeable NPD growth over last year). As we get nearer to the end of the generation, both those models will have a decent install base.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I don't mean to dogpile, but this seems wrong-headed on a couple of levels. It's fine to be so into one platform that another doesn't matter, but this seems like someone who would be cutting themselves short in a couple ways (relative to their own terms). Mentioning that BC and the better versions of multi-plats matter should be the answer right there. And something that apparently needs to be spelled out is that BC matters because it pulls in unique/great games from their original systems; those libraries aren't interchangeable. If BC comes to a future Playstation system, it would be ideal, but it would be reaching back to the games you're playing currently, and seemingly not any more broadly. If variety/quality is the goal, you're cutting off the nose to spite the face.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I bought AC Origins and Far Cry 5 (both digital) on my X whereas I would have previously played them on Pro. I still played COD WW2 on Pro though, I think PSN had some deal where it got DLCs 30 days earlier or something so thats always something to keep an eye on. Destiny 2 as well I've been playing on Pro due to exclusive stuff.

There honestly aren't that many multi plats that I find interesting this year though, red dead redemption 2 is the big one. Right now I've got it pre ordered on PS4 Pro but I'll probably change to X once the dust settles at E3. I've found Far Cry 5 kinda disappointing after 20 hours into it, all these Ubi games tend to feel same-y after a while so I'm not sure how much hype I'll have for their pirate game, Watch Dogs 3, Division 2, etc.

The games I'm honestly most excited for the rest of the year though are still PS4 exclusives like Spiderman, TLOU 2, Days Gone, etc. Still haven't installed Yakuza 6.

I'm not a super loyal fan either way though, if Sony would release a PS4 Super Pro (lol) or something that matched the X specs I'd switch back to that. I also have a PC but its pretty much only a fortnite/pubg/battlefield/VR system, I prefer single player games on console for trade value, trophies, etc.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That minority are also the early adopters which are extremely valuable to the platform holders. It's also worth considering that Pro and X are still a lot more expensive than their base model counterparts and haven't been out as long (X has only been out 6 months and is credited for sizeable NPD growth over last year). As we get nearer to the end of the generation, both those models will have a decent install base.
Very valid points. Let's see how these two play their cards for 2020 (next gen )

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a shame that DigitalFoundry doesn't measure "finesse".

I didn't wanna be too critical, but...yeah, that sort of speaks for itself. I have trouble understanding why someone who obviously cares about visual presentation would buy-then-sell something like the 1X within its first six months on the market.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
I play 95% of the time on PC, have a PS4 for their exclusives. I don't like Xbox games enough to buy a console.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, my preference is PC, XBX then PS4P.

It really makes me sad that RDR 2 PC hasn't been announced. I really wanted to play that on the best platform first.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
X going forward for sure...unless some friends are getting the PS4 version of a game like Far Cry 5 to play multi with...I asked around and no one I know was interested in FC5 so the X version it is...same with Monster Hunter,etc etc...

Oct 25, 2017

Two things:

1) The games will look better via BC on the next Xbox as well

2) Why bother buying the games now if you're worried about how they'll look 3 years from now?

Oct 27, 2017
With or without dedicated X enhancements, the X will almost always perform better. It's a more powerful system.
In theory, yes. The problem is that if there is no X enhancement, you're essentially playing at regular xbox one settings. The X can only force certain improvements, like 16x AF and a more stable frame rate. Resolution doesn't change at all (unless the game uses dynamic resolution, and even then it is limited by whatever the devs set to the max).

So basically you're looking at base PS4 vs base Xbox One, which is why I still get it for the pro if there are no patches. This isn't really an issue on newer games, since most newer games have patches, but a lot of games in my backlog were often 900p on XO, but 1080p on PS4, meaning it's still a better experience on the PS4.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
In theory, yes. The problem is that if there is no X enhancement, you're essentially playing at regular xbox one settings. The X can only force certain improvements, like 16x AF and a more stable frame rate. Resolution doesn't change at all (unless the game uses dynamic resolution, and even then it is limited by whatever the devs set to the max).

So basically you're looking at base PS4 vs base Xbox One, which is why I still get it for the pro if there are no patches. This isn't really an issue on newer games, since most newer games have patches, but a lot of games in my backlog were often 900p on XO, but 1080p on PS4, meaning it's still a better experience on the PS4.
This is all true, but I think the vast majority of multiplatform current gen games have gone enhanced anyway, even if it's simply uncapping framerates and/or resolution.

I'm guessing Microsoft has some sort of really easy way for developers to do it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I play 95% of the time on PC, have a PS4 for their exclusives. I don't like Xbox games enough to buy a console.

So this thread isn't for you then.

This thread is a sad showcase for poor reading comprehension.
LOL "What's your favorite PS4 exclusive?" "I don't play on PS4, my favorite exclusive is Mario Odyssey."

On-topic, I do tend to go with the 1X for multiplats, although a good sale will make me spring for it on less powerful hardware. Value is a powerful thing. :)

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Had. I literally sold it on Craigslist about 3 weeks ago after I gave up on Sea of Thieves. Now I just have a One S and 3 PS4s

If you like to play the best version of games, I hate to break it to you but you need a PC. Having had both consoles, which I did from launch til now, I think it's completely relevant to not want to fragment my library. From the jump due to friends, you can only really buy single player titles on the X and most of my achievements are on PS4. I also mostly buy digital titles, so again, I'd have half a trilogy on Xbox and the rest on PS4? Doesn't gel with me.

Everything in this post is wrong. X plays old Xbox games to 360 ganes, alot of hardcore gamers are buying X just to replay or enjoy these via BC. PS5 isn't out and you have no idea of it'll be implemented like MS consoles, or if it'll be free. But if you do want to hypothesize you can say Xbox 2 will carry on the good work MS have done and already proven, continuing to invest in Xbox eco system will pay off in a way others haven't been able to prove, so the X can't be irrelevant as you say.

So I'm supposed to just stop investing in the PS4 ecosystem 4 years in? Forget about the thousands I've spent building a digital library or the goods I can't get anymore? This makes no sense. I'm not about to rebuy the almost 200 titles from PS4 I have, on Xbox One for them to look prettier.

I'm with you that MS F'ed up out of the gate. Royally. But what is this in the bold? What does this even mean?

Think Destiny. PS4 is obviously the lead platform and gets exclusive content so while the X version will perform better, it's still the lesser version. So you wouldn't buy Destiny 3 on Xbox One X.

I don't mean to dogpile, but this seems wrong-headed on a couple of levels. It's fine to be so into one platform that another doesn't matter, but this seems like someone who would be cutting themselves short in a couple ways (relative to their own terms). Mentioning that BC and the better versions of multi-plats matter should be the answer right there. And something that apparently needs to be spelled out is that BC matters because it pulls in unique/great games from their original systems; those libraries aren't interchangeable. If BC comes to a future Playstation system, it would be ideal, but it would be reaching back to the games you're playing currently, and seemingly not any more broadly. If variety/quality is the goal, you're cutting off the nose to spite the face.

It's not that I'm so into one platform, if they had dropped the X with the Pro, I'd have switched. It came too late, and I thought maybe I will still switch and then I bought it and I loved it, but realized again my library is on PS4 and I like everything in one place. BC is nice don't get me wrong, but in a world of remastered, the critical stuff will be brought forward.

It's just a shame that DigitalFoundry doesn't measure "finesse".

They do? They can tell brute forcing from time taken to craft to system strengths.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that I'm so into one platform, if they had dropped the X with the Pro, I'd have switched. It came too late, and I thought maybe I will still switch and then I bought it and I loved it, but realized again my library is on PS4 and I like everything in one place.

The latter is why I assumed the former. I didn't mean it critically, just how one person's use-case is different from a more general reality of what might technically be better hardware.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
User Warned: System Wars
No, I'm getting the best version of 3rd party games on my PC. I also get to play the fabled Xbox One exclusives on my PC as well. Wow, the Xbox One X is pretty damn pointless, ain't it?

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Going forward I'll only buy exclusives on the PS4 Pro, even if a non-exclusive is better there. Future patches will likely bring parity on XB1X and at least on there there's a good chance it'll be BC in the future and potentially improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.