• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

X + Pro owners, are you switching to buying 3rd party on X?

• No, I have an X for exclusives

Votes: 63 8.1%
  • No, I don’t want to fragment my library

Votes: 252 32.4%
  • Yes, but for other reasons

Votes: 62 8.0%
  • Yes, I’m chasing visual upgrades

Votes: 401 51.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
For those who own both consoles

I care a lot about graphics. Not enough to want a PC, but otherwise I care a lot. Not that several patches and games have come out with proven leaps on Xbox One X, I got one last week and plan to buy all future 3rd party games there.

Now initially I didn't care about X because I find Xbox to be a struggle Brand this gen and didn't want to fragment my library between some 3rd party on Pro and some on X... but after getting a 4K TV and seeing games like Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Origins, The Division, Shadow of War, and more have leaps better visuals on X, I've converted.

Granted, exclusives on PS4 Pro make up the bulk of my future guaranteed buys, but stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider? I now feel like I need the best console version.

Did anyone else go through this? Just chasing the best versions visually?

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No but only because i like trophies, have a PC for most of them, and believe we will get PS5 updates for most of the popular ones. Thanks to backwards compatibility (don't F me Sony)

If you don't care for trophies and are only on console I don't see why you wouldn't go with the better version, especially for single player games where your friend's console doesn't matter.

Myrrhodd

Jan 15, 2018
Yup, I had a PS4 Pro and Xbox One S for a few months. Got all 3rd party games on the Pro. Once I got the One X, it switched for me.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I play 3rd party stuff on my PC. If X and Pro had more 60fps titles I'd be a bit more interested, but by and large the big stuff is 4k/30

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll get some on PC if they run noticeably better and are cheap enough to not care about buying digitally.

If I had an Xbox One X I'd buy them all physically there for the graphics upgrade and preferring to use my Xbox Elite controller. I guess I could look into one of those adapters to use it on PS4. I didn't want to mess with syncing it to that and then the PC adapter etc, but I honestly haven't been doing much PC gaming lately anyway.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I don't own an X yet but if/when I do I'll still be playing everything on my Pro. I'd rather have as many games as possible on one ecosystem and PlayStation will always be my primary ecosystem.

The X would be for exclusives only.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS4 and Xbox One, but play graphically intensive games on PC.

Because that's where the games look the best, typically run the best, are the lowest priced and are not stuck behind bullshit online paywalls.

I'm sure there exists a segment that cares about having the best version of whatever set top box console offering is available without getting into the enthusiast PC stuff, but in those cases it seems they only care about graphics to some nebulous price/performance limited to off the shelf dedicated set top boxes. So they kind of don't care about graphics.

It's like saying that one cares a lot about sound quality, but only when it comes to a moderately priced HTiB or Soundbar entries.

Last edited:

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Some yes, some no. Those with performance issues present on X I stuck with the Pro version.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Depends if there's a huge difference between the two, since I only own a 1080p set. I focus on framerate, not resolution.

Also some multiplats (Red Dead Redemption 2 for example) I'm locked in for PS4 since I pre-ordered them with E3 deals, thus getting them for 50 bucks compared to 90.

As well, all my friends play on the PS4, so if it's a multiplayer focused game, it will be PS4.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I only have a X for BC and whatever games they give me on games with gold or gamepass. My PC and Pro will be used for everything else.

These differences are so incredibly minor nowadays that I can't tell at all. My X came with AC Origins and it doesn't look any different than it did on Pro.

Oct 27, 2017
Other than wanting to play with a certain group of friends on one system versus the other why would you not want to play on the better platform hardware wise?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The X is the definitive console version for all multiplats. That won't change until PS5 maybe.

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what the point of getting an X would be if not to play multiplats on it unless you just really love Halo

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I got an X for the BC enhancements, and the enchantments the exclusives got, I already had an S and many of the exclusive games, to me it made sense to get the system. I got the system on sale for $300, so to me it was worth it. 3rd party games I'm more likely to get on PC or PS4 Pro since I have PS plus or free online on the PC, I dont have gold so many MP games are off the cards. So for me its mainly for exclusives.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The X has become my primary console and it's where I buy all my multiplatform games, while the Pro is used solely for exclusives.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
No. I have them all on one eco-system. The PS. For Nintendo exclusives, there is the Switch. I don't need a XBX.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Naw, even if I did have an X it would be for exclusives only, I know PS5 is around the corner and if I want the best graphics, it'll be there when it launches with backward compatibility So there's no reason to fragment my library for a small visual upgrade.

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a pretty solid gaming rig and I've recently bought a PS4Pro for my new 4k hdr tv. I would see myself buying an xbone x for exclusives but... there aren't really enough of them to justify that transaction for me. Especially since my pc is nearly twice as fast as the X. So with these variables it just makes no sense for me to buy that machine, sadly.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wouldn't say I'm chasing visual upgrades but yes most of my 3rd party stuff in on Xbox now (assassin creed, far cry 5, monster hunter etc). Extra content trumps the graphic bump so stuff like destiny will stay on PS4 pro.

Pc is out of the question for me, tried multiple times and always go back to consoles. Don't have the time I used to for gaming and random pc issues end up taking that time instead of gaming.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
User banned (3 days): inflammatory post, platform warring.
This sounds like you own neither system, and thus the question wasn't directed at you?

This sort of thing happens a lot with PC owners. They just *have* to find a way to mention they are playing the best version on their Uber-PC, even if the discussion has absolutely nothing to do with them, like this thread. Kinda sad.

EDIT: ALL THESE EXAMPLE ON THE FIRST PAGE ALONE.

Nobody asked you about your PC guys. Zip up your pants.

Will pick up Read Dead for the X, but going to get Tomb Raider on PC.

No but only because i like trophies, have a PC for most of them, and believe we will get PS5 updates for most of the popular ones. Thanks to backwards compatibility (don't F me Sony)

If you don't care for trophies and are only on console I don't see why you wouldn't go with the better version, especially for single player games where your friend's console doesn't matter.

No, I play 3rd party stuff on my PC. If X and Pro had more 60fps titles I'd be a bit more interested, but by and large the big stuff is 4k/30

I'll get some on PC if they run noticeably better and are cheap enough to not care about buying digitally.

If I had an Xbox One X I'd buy them all physically there for the graphics upgrade and preferring to use my Xbox Elite controller. I guess I could look into one of those adapters to use it on PS4. I didn't want to mess with syncing it to that and then the PC adapter etc, but I honestly haven't been doing much PC gaming lately anyway.

I have a PS4 and Xbox One, but play graphically intensive games on PC.

Because that's where the games look the best, typically run the best, are the lowest priced and are not stuck behind bullshit online paywalls.

I'm sure there exists a segment that cares about having the best version of whatever set top box console offering is available without getting into the enthusiast PC stuff, but in those cases it seems they only care about graphics to some nebulous price/performance limited to off the shelf dedicated set top boxes. So they kind of don't care about graphics.

It's like saying that one cares a lot about sound quality, but only when it comes to a moderately priced HTiB or Soundbar entries.

No I only have a X for BC and whatever games they give me on games with gold or gamepass. My PC and Pro will be used for everything else.

These differences are so incredibly minor nowadays that I can't tell at all. My X came with AC Origins and it doesn't look any different than it did on Pro.

But why not get pc? Its not as bad as era make it sound and you get huge leap in image quality.

I got an X for the BC enhancements, and the enchantments the exclusives got, I already had an S and many of the exclusive games, to me it made sense to get the system. I got the system on sale for $300, so to me it was worth it. 3rd party games I'm more likely to get on PC or PS4 Pro since I have PS plus or free online on the PC, I dont have gold so many MP games are off the cards. So for me its mainly for exclusives.

I have a pretty solid gaming rig and I've recently bought a PS4Pro for my new 4k hdr tv. I would see myself buying an xbone x for exclusives but... there aren't really enough of them to justify that transaction for me. Especially since my pc is nearly twice as fast as the X. So with these variables it just makes no sense for me to buy that machine, sadly.

LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Alright, then PS5 will release and Red Dead will run even better than Xbox X.

You gonna rebuy the game? I mean, best console visuals. You want to play these games the best, right?
You are assuming there will be a patch in a couple years to take advantage of new consoles for such a game? And assuming that Xbox's next system won't come out in a similar timeframe with similar or greater power to PS5? Anyway that kind of patch hasn't happened with many games that old when the new hardware has come. But sure, if the game can take advantage of a new system, is still a game I want to play, and is better on PS5 instead of Xbox where I'll already own it, than I'd certainly consider re-buying.

But that's a lot of assumptions and hypotheticals you make to have me stuck with a lesser version of a game that may be a couple years old when it potentially gets another console upgrade right as I want to replay it.

But why not get pc? Its not as bad as era make it sound and you get huge leap in image quality.
Let's not

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I generally only go Pro for exclusives and titles that received Pro updates but will likely never get an X update (Watch Dogs II, AC Ezio Collection, Prey, Battlefield 1 etc.). I've went X for multplats otherwise. The difference is pretty vast in some titles....Overwatch, AC Origins & Far Cry 5 come to mind. Fighting games

I've got an LG C7...I want the best visuals I can get from a console to display on that badboy. I haven't went full PC because to put it frankly I don't think a PC belongs in the living room. To provide some more on that, I've just always enjoy gaming the most on the couch.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC - multiplat SP, XPA titles, whatever is on sale
PS4 Pro - Sony exclusives, multiplayer games, whatever is on sale

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Play on PC and PS4.

An Xbox One X is a pointless purchase as it has no exclusives I want, any I did come out on PC which is better than the X1X.

PC and PS4 is the best option.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Lol if they cared that much about graphics they would game on PC

Pro and X graphics are minor and most games still run lower settings on X than Max settings on PC and still 30fps these mid gen consoles a joke

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of thing happens a lot with PC owners. They just *have* to find a way to mention they are playing the best version on their Uber-PC, even if the discussion has absolutely nothing to do with them, like this thread. Kinda sad.

The title of this post is kind of asking for it though by calling Xbox One X "best version of 3rd party games" right?

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
No I have no reason to. The X would be a waste of money for me when it doesnt provide a notable boost for me in gameplay, graphics, or content.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would grab an X if I actually played them AAA multiplats.
I only have RDR2 and KH3 (if that even comes) on my list for now. PES is already 4K/60 on the pro and Rocket League isn't even enhanced. CoD also looks great on the pro so I would have to spend 500+gold abbo for minor differences, not gonna happen.
I do hope they deliver a powerful machine next gen, then I'll consider it at launch.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If you have an XB1X and a PS4 Pro, first off what is you doing.

Secondly, if you buying single player games on PS4 Pro vs XB1X when you own both doubly what is you doin

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
All my opinions of course, but better controller, better online service, and better performance and visuals make it a no brainer to go with the X for me.

Puggsly

Nov 2, 2017
NOLA
In short, no. I still do/will use my pro for nearly all games. All my friends are there, I prefer the controller, and I have invested too much time trophy hunting to change platforms now. So unless there is a new Forza Horizon or State of Decay 2, my X will continue to see daily life as my cable box and bluray player.

Status
Not open for further replies.