• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

X + Pro owners, are you switching to buying 3rd party on X?

• No, I have an X for exclusives

Votes: 63 8.1%
  • No, I don’t want to fragment my library

Votes: 252 32.4%
  • Yes, but for other reasons

Votes: 62 8.0%
  • Yes, I’m chasing visual upgrades

Votes: 401 51.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner

Oct 29, 2017
This is something i'm still struggling with. I was a die-hard 360 fan that made the decision to switch ecosystems this gen and never looked back until the X released. That being said, having played a few of the same games on both the X and Pro, it's not the visual acuity that has me rethinking things- it's Microsoft's approach to BC and how great these select games look on the X. BC is very important to me and the fact that I can't play PS2 discs on my PS4 pro- when I can now slip a few OG Xbox discs in and get treated to those games with razor sharp resolution- eats me up more and more.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
From 2013 my console was xbox one. I accumulated quite the digital collection. Then i got a ps4 pro at launch. My first ps4. At the time i bought the exclusives that interested me, uncharted 4, bloodborne etc. As i had a couple of mates i started to get multi platform games on it. Like siege, battlefield 1, titanfall 2, doom. There were some things with psn i wasnt happy with but it was fine.

I then got the xbox one x at launch. And it was like putting on a pair of comfy slippers you havent worn in a year and became my primary console now for everything. To the point, that any multi platform game i bougt physical for ps4 i have traded away and rebought on x1x. Doom, siege and titanfall 2. Im now at the stage where the only time i turn the ps4 pro on for is ff12 remaster which i was disappointed in because it wasnt running at 4k.

I sorta wish i had just bought the ps4 slim and saved quite a bit of money. But so far delighted with the x.

Bud_Brigman

Nov 17, 2017
I'm primarily a single-player person, but have PS Plus. If I'm not playing multiplayer (which is rare) then I'll buy it for X.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I own a ps4 pro and have been getting the best version of 3rd party games since 2009. But they aren't on the 1x.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
If the X version is superior, I'll play it there. I've had a few circumstances where performance was better on Pro, and so I went there, passing up the increase in visual fidelity. Far Cry 5 had a visual and performance advantage on X so it was a no-brainer. I spend a lot of time watching DF and NX videos these days, lol.

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds like a console war thread in disguise.

If I had both consoles and didn't care about having games attached to two different systems I would definitely be playing them on the one that looks better.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, yeah. That's kind of why I bought the X. It sure wasn't for the wealth of Xbox One exclusives. My Pro sounds like a goddamn jet engine playing GoW and I would much rather play it elsewhere if I could.

Nov 12, 2017
I had lasik done a few years ago so I already took care of that. The difference really is just that minor in the majority of cases.

well, taking into consideration just assassins creed (title that you yourself named)..we have 55/62% resolution boost (a resolution that you can have in multiplatform titles probably only with the next ps5 on sony console)
..with the addition of more consistent framerate...better LOD and texture filtering and faster loading...again if you dont see this differences you need to do those exams again.....there are titles already on the market where the difference of native pixels on screen goes to more than 225% (wolfestein 2)
not to go against your opinion but people should stop denying the obvious advantage that has xbox one x against ps4pro .... and I repeat if you do not see the difference is because you are trolling or simply do not have visual sensitivity .... it would also make me think that for these people there would not even need to buy a new console the prox generation at this point

if you have the economic possibility there is no reason to play sub version of most videogames...
ps4pro for sony exclusives
xbox one x for everything else

Last edited:

renzollama

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
unless you just really love Halo

R1fdEt3.gif

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I sort of regret getting The Evil Within 2, The Witcher 3, and Dishonored 2 on PS4 Pro, but I don't really want to buy them again, even if they get really cheap.

Everything else in the future will be the X, barring PS4 exclusives of course and maybe Destiny.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I always opt to buy whichever seems to be the best version of a particular game I'm interested in, be that the 1X, PS4 Pro or PC. Most of my games tend to be on PC because of this and leaving the consoles for exclusives, but sometimes I'll double-dip for a console version for a particular reason such as convenience or playing with friends.

Oct 25, 2017
PC will always be my default, but yes, I will be buying console exclusives on the X over the PS4 Pro now despite most of my collection being on PS4 so far this gen. Can't say I care much about fragmenting my library or tracking achievements/trophies. I'm going to play whichever version looks and performs best because why not?

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, taking into consideration just assassins creed (title that you yourself named)..we have 55/62% resolution boost (a resolution that you can have in multiplatform titles probably only with the next ps5 on sony console)
..with the addition of more consistent framerate...better LOD and texture filtering and faster loading...again if you dont see this differences you need to do those exams again.....there are titles already on the market where the difference of native pixels on screen goes to more than 225% (wolfestein 2)
on paper those differences are huge and impressive but in reality its hard to perceive a huge difference without seeing them side by side

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
PS4 Pro is my everything box. Exclusives, VR, multi-plats, etc. Will fill all my gaming needs for the rest of this gen.
What do you use your X for then?

on paper those differences are huge and impressive but in reality its hard to perceive a huge difference without seeing them side by side
I think this says more about your eyesight! Or TV. I can understand if you're struggling to see the difference between 1800p and 2160p unless you have a decent sized TV and eyesight, but in a game like The Evil Within 2 for example, going from Pro's 1260p to X's 1800p is obviously night and day. Even games like Dishonored 2, Wolf 2 and Farcry 5 are instantly noticeably sharper without any side by side comparisons needed - and once you get used to this it's difficult to go back.

There is another major difference between Pro and X of course, that's impossible to miss even if your TV is switched off.

But I don't understand really, why don't you play third party games on your X? Why did you get one?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be honest i dont notice much of a difference between anything above 1440 unless I am comparing them directly through screenshots. As soon as i boot the game I already forgot what say 1800 looked like

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely considering it. But it would be for more than third party games. The BC and game pass programs put what Sony has to shame, as does the proposed refund policy. I'm just not willing to pay 500 for one.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resolutiongate part 2 - we was feeling the differences and now we became blind

There are diminishing returns when it comes to things like texture clarity, sharpness and aliasing as you get increasingly higher on resolution. This isnt a made up thing.

Edit: I dont want to derail the thread and this is going way off topic. Ill drop this topic

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
All the big third party titles get purchased for the X
PS4 pro is just a God of War and Spider-Man machine now.

I want to play the big games that will get me the most out of my 4k tv and not sounding like my system will melt when looking at a map (playing GoW makes me nervous, scary loud)

So I definitely voted chasing visuals

Plus the Xbox controller is a no brainier and helps tip the edge.

fast_taker

Oct 28, 2017
Athens, Greece
For those who own both consoles it is normal to play on the best performing console. This is what i do with single player games. But when it comes to multiplayer i prefer xbox live.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: console war low-quality post
i was told for months every game is perfect for switch though so what is it perfect for switch or perfect for xbox one x

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a game is not available on PC and is available on XBO/PS4, I buy it (digitally, of course) for the One X. Meaningfully better visuals and performance plus a controller that doesn't hurt my hands.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
...I mean if you have both then why the hell would you not?
Because of the controller, for instance. I only have a (shortly after) launch Xbox One and no PS4, but if I buy a PS4, it will likely be a Pro and still, I would always get everything I can on Xbox One unless it is 2D, because I love the Xbone controller and hate all Dual Shocks. I'm currently playing through Croc 2 on my PS2 and everytime my playsessions exceeds 1 hour, I have pain in my left thumb joint.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I've always had PlayStation platforms as my primary console, I prefer the ecosystem in general, the controller and (this gen at least) more of my friends are there. So although I could have slightly better graphics on the 1X I haven't yet opted to buy any on that over my Pro.

Despite having always invested in my PS library more, the ironic thing is that because of the great with MS have done with BC I'm actually playing a lot of last gen games again on my Xbox one X

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
As dumb as this sounds, I just want all my games in one place. I bought mostly PS4 games this gen, mostly PS3 the gen before that, mostly PS2, and mostly PS1. It isn't by some loyalty to Sony, they just had the best exclusives with the most 3rd party games.

Just trying to keep everything together.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not to go against your opinion but people should stop denying the obvious advantage that has xbox one x against ps4pro .... and I repeat if you do not see the difference is because you are trolling or simply do not have visual sensitivity .... it would also make me think that for these people there would not even need to buy a new console the prox generation at this point

if you have the economic possibility there is no reason to play sub version of most videogames...
ps4pro for sony exclusives
xbox one x for everything else

Most multiplats don't get those improvements though they get the res bump and that's it. That's not enough to sway me when Sony is still paying people for getting trophies. I need a lot more than in imperceptible bump in resolution.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, why not? I prefer PS4 interface, but I also want to know that I'm playing the best version. Only regretted it for MHW, but in general I expect at least parity.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As dumb as this sounds, I just want all my games in one place. I bought mostly PS4 games this gen, mostly PS3 the gen before that, mostly PS2, and mostly PS1. It isn't by some loyalty to Sony, they just had the best exclusives with the most 3rd party games.

Just trying to keep everything together.

Nah i dont think thats dumb. Ecosystems are incredibly important. Look at all the value Microsoft has added for people who own everything on their platform, through BC enhancements and the like.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
My Xbox One X is pretty much just for BC games I want to revisit. I doubt I'll buy a game for it that I could play on PS4 instead.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Nah i dont think thats dumb. Ecosystems are incredibly important. Look at all the value Microsoft has added for people who own everything on their platform, through BC enhancements and the like.
Its why I hope Sony at least does BC at least for PS4 next gen. I got an X mostly to get the best versions of old games. My xbox and xbox 360 collection has grown just because their BC solution is so damn good.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
im choosing to stay with the PS4. It gets a lot of JPN support as well other stuff. Only buying exclusives for the X1.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
always ps4 as main console, a large portion of these people have no loyalty though so it doesn't really benefit ms or Sony forever. They'll jump back to ps5, then Xbox x2 then ps5 pro etc etc.

D.A.

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
IF the x's price was lower, I would buy multiplatforms on xbox one x, but I'm more into single player games than multiplayer ones, so there is no social gravity to tie me to a platform. Given a likely price cut, I would buy one if not for the nearing arrival of next-gen platforms.

Last year my launch ps4 broke down, so I got a (189$)xbox s and a pro(349$), the one x was(499$) at the time, so it was either both consoles for a bit more or one console, and I wanted the pro for the likely god of war enhancements.I got a few games for the s(forza, marvel vs capcom at discount) and (uncharted and star ocean)ps4.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure what this means? what battle? I had the same opinion of 1080p vs 900p
Same here.

Its why I got a One S...after...my PS4 was stolen. Price was the bigger factor. And the only reason I got a Pro was because of a deal.

Its why I still play on my One S now. Even if I only use it for exclusives. I still play 3rd party games on it, just not alot.

Are ppl really underestimating how much price plays a factor? I can get a Switch, BotW and Odysessy for the price of a One X. Unless there are deals on the One X.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
nah, PS4 has become my main console for all my games...just to simplify my setup. I have too many consoles on my TV already.

Status
Not open for further replies.