• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, lets hope this lockdown works then.

p.s. it is incredible to me that the lockdown still hasn't even started!?

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
12,300 covid-19 inpatients, Jesus the NHS is gonna cripple under the weight of that and it ain't even Winter. :(

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
It had to pass in parliament first. Though I don't get why they had to wait until now to debate it.
Over 100 MPs wanted to get their say in, and from watching some of them it was mostly 'my constituency has a lido where people can safely socially distance. Surely the prime minister can make an exception in this case?' Or 'this is all Boris' fault for not locking down earlier!'

Oct 26, 2017
It had to pass in parliament first. Though I don't get why they had to wait until now to debate it.

Because Tory policy is

merchant_image-merchant_open_graph.jpeg

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
It is worth remembering the method for counting deaths changed as well, so deaths could actually be higher than that. Tragic either way. Makes a mockery of the whole 'this strain is less deadly' bullshit too.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently testing figures were down 8% from last week, meaning cases are rising even though we are testing less people.

World beating.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Wales's figures 1,202 today, was 1,414 last week.

Good to see a drop (15%), but given it's 13 days since the lockdown started, I'd have hoped for that to be a bigger difference.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
They should come up with COVID tiers. There is no reason for my daughters swimming class to stop. But it has too. They are so over cautious it borders on ridiculous. Same with my sons club.

Also anecdotal. It has been chaos round my way today. Town was packed huge traffic jams to get home. Peoples attitude has changed to the virus. Shops were packed out not controlling going on.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
They should come up with COVID tiers. There is no reason for my daughters swimming class to stop. But it has too. They are so over cautious it borders on ridiculous. Same with my sons club.

Also anecdotal. It has been chaos round my way today. Town was packed huge traffic jams to get home. Peoples attitude has changed to the virus. Shops were packed out not controlling going on.
Your second sentence is sadly why COVID tiers are not a great idea at all. The Government has been so unclear and all over the place with their messaging that people have had enough. There is little confidence in their guidance and the myriad of different rules constantly changing has undermined any effectiveness they would have had. People are now less likely to take things seriously or heed advice/warnings (I don't blame them for a second though) just look at the figures floating around regarding the % of people who are actually self-isolating when they are supposed to.

Now we find ourselves paying the price for this, staring down the barrel of a lengthy 'lockdown' with numbers already surging. This could have been mitigated if The Government had taken earlier decisive action, instead of desperately clinging-on to their plan of vainly trying to keep everything open. We are only going into 'lockdown' now because we HAVE to, else things would be catastrophic.

Any action going forwards needs to be as clear as possible. Muddying the waters with tiers, exemptions, convoluted rules etc. only makes things less effective.

We cannot have our cake and eat it too unfortunately. We are going to take a hit from the pandemic. We need to be more decisive about things. If it means that activities like your daughter's swimming lesson are an unfortunate casualty of this in the short-term, we need to be able to make these sacrifices for the greater good, so I am all for it. It obviously sucks massively though and I hope she can get back to it soon!

Last edited:
Stay on topic during lockdown

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Hi everyone. With the lockdown starting tomorrow, members will be using this thread for support, and we'd appreciate it if it could stay focused on matters related to the pandemic. We do have a general U.K. politics thread, Brexit is worth its own topics, and of course 'new news, new thread' is still valid for anything else.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. With the lockdown starting tomorrow, members will be using this thread for support, and we'd appreciate it if it could stay focused on matters related to the pandemic. We do have a general U.K. politics thread, Brexit is worth its own topics, and of course 'new news, new thread' is still valid for anything else.
Thanks.

MmmSkyscraper

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Source is my sister, she received one on email at 19:30
Thanks! I just noticed that the guidelines were updated actually.

Wow, this has changed - so we don't need to follow the same guidance as the person who is shielding?

This is crazy, I work at a university and have to commute via train. My partner is a secondary school teacher and constantly complains about the lack of social distancing at work. We're currently living with her parents as we are looking to buy our own place next year. Her mum is classed as CEV due to a respiratory condition and her Dad isn't necessarily the healthiest guy bless him. I am concerned by this, really concerned.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
It is a bit, but they haven't explained why there was a sudden jump, though I would guess these were people who were already in hospital before the lockdown started(and/or it's due to lag in reporting and they're from over a long period of time). Plus I wouldn't think the benefits of the lockdown would be seen for at least another week.
Public Health Wales in their daily statement have said reporting time lag - https://covid19-phwstatement.nhs.wales/
Guess we'll see over the next few days.

Bakkuma

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting really confused now.

I had to shield from end of April until start of August as I received a shielding letter, the guidelines updated today state that I should work from home if possible, and if this is not possible I should not go to work, it even states employers should take your previous notice or any future one as evidence.

Yet after calling work they're telling me I need to attend work until I receive another official notice telling me not to.

So ones saying don't go, and the company is saying do go.

Check your email, I just got a letter from Dept of Health saying I should follow extra precautionary shielding measures and not go to work if I cannot work from home. It mentions Job Retention Scheme or SSP.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Check your email, I just got a letter from Dept of Health saying I should follow extra precautionary shielding measures and not go to work if I cannot work from home. It mentions Job Retention Scheme or SSP.

Yeah I've received mine this evening now, I've forwarded it onto HR and will discuss further with them over the phone tomorrow.

Oct 30, 2017
Re: shielding; my mum has had her delivery "freebie" from Asda extended out until April next year (this was something they offered for shielding vulnerable people earlier in the pandemic). Seems they've just gone "fuck it" and are extending it indefinitely, which tells you a lot about how large corporations are seeing this going.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm furloughed

mixed feelings - in a way I need a bit of a break and it seems like the company are serious about bringing people back in as soon as possible

but there is always that worry about the longer term...

on the plus side I can certainly catch up on some reading now

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
This isn't really a lockdown at all. It is a tactic of shielding just the vulnerable and letting everyone else get on with things. Schools open, most shops open, sports continuing. If it works, then great, but it seems a risky tactic considering it is nowhere near the scale of the first one, and we are entering it in far, far worse shape.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
This isn't really a lockdown at all. It is a tactic of shielding just the vulnerable and letting everyone else get on with things. Schools open, most shops open, sports continuing. If it works, then great, but it seems a risky tactic considering it is nowhere near the scale of the first one, and we are entering it in far, far worse shape.
For me, it's not a lockdown unless the schools are closed. Every day I worry that this is the day the kids bring COVID home. It's a lockdown in name only, so that the economy can chug along, people barely change their behaviour, but the government get to claim they did something.

PipefishUK

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a lockdown. I have a week long classroom based training course booked (HGV ADR).

It hasn't been cancelled. There's no way that during a national lockdown it should be going ahead.

I was hoping it would be cancelled because it clashes with my mum's funeral (which obviously I'm going to no matter what) at the other end of the country and if they're arseholes about moving me onto the next month's course I'll lose £750.

Leisure venues closing and the ban on going to people's houses (if people would stick to it) might do something for the infection rates though.

gerg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most sports aren't continuing, though. You're allowed to exercise with one other person from outside your household outside, and that's it.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to give an idea of this threads impact. 3.2m views since it started.

US election thread 3.4m and climbing.

We really are on an island. Good luck this next month siblings

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck Sainsbury's !!!

www.mirror.co.uk

Sainsbury's 'to cut 3,000 jobs by closing fresh fish and meat counters'

A large number of the jobs will go from the group's Argos business and there will be layoffs in Sainsbury's stores with the closure of delicatessens and fresh food counters

Supermarkets and Argos that is already "click and collect" at all times shouldn't be cutting jobs right now!

edit: and another horrible leaking before staff are told too it looks like :(

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017

www.mirror.co.uk

A large number of the jobs will go from the group's Argos business and there will be layoffs in Sainsbury's stores with the closure of delicatessens and fresh food counters

Supermarkets and Argos that is already "click and collect" at all times shouldn't be cutting jobs right now!

Jesus Christ that's terrible.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

www.mirror.co.uk

For Argos, I wouldn't be shocked if the pandemic sped up Amazon eating their lunch. Sucks, but what can you do

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's not a lockdown unless the schools are closed. Every day I worry that this is the day the kids bring COVID home. It's a lockdown in name only, so that the economy can chug along, people barely change their behaviour, but the government get to claim they did something.

Until the advice from scientists all over Europe and North America changes, they're not going to shut schools. Like, you don't have to like it, but right now the scientific advice is to keep kids in school and shut down other things to see if that will keep the pandemic in check. France and Germany aren't doing the same thing as the UK is for a laugh.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That really sucks but really isn't surprising considering the Argos near me and the fresh food counters have been closed since March. I guess that's the same everywhere. :(

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Drive into work last week took 40 minutes, drive into work this morning took 50 minutes. Traffic was actually heavier this morning for some reason. I was expecting it to be an easy commute.

Meeting with my manager yesterday and it seems I'll be WFH at least one day a week until spring.