LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
El2KiGZWMAIDoO6

Got a laugh from me on twitter.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
If you get invited to do a test based on the ZOE app, but don't otherwise have any of the main symptoms, do you still need to self-isolate? I had a very bad sore throat last night, but I've had a sore throat pretty much on and off for six months, which my GP suggested was silent reflux.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
It probably is worth splitting off into a separate topic if you don't mind, thanks. I realise this has become something of another default 'UK politics' chat due to Covid affecting everything in politics and being front page news all year, but I think Brexit stuff warrants its own chat rather than derail this, especially with the lockdown this week.

OK, no worries.

Edit- Created said thread here.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought we might be quiet at least at first but we're getting loads of people happily calling up to views houses this weekend, even more than last weekend in fact.. I don't care what precautions are in place, you can't safely show someone around a house, and they're travelling all over the country

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Received a parentmail email from the kids' school today, saying that local council have warned parents will be fined (at the very least) if kids don't attend during lockdown. They can fuck themselves.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Received a parentmail email from the kids' school today, saying that local council have warned parents will be fined (at the very least) if kids don't attend during lockdown. They can fuck themselves.
Govt should have made moves so that those that can teach from home have an easier ride of it. Online teaching, work packs, maybe even pay some parents to help them teach from home. This would also reduce class sizes for those that need to continue to attend.

What did they do instead? Nothing. They simply didnt do anything. And now every day my kids come home I worry that this is the day they've brought the infection back.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Govt should have made moves so that those that can teach from home have an easier ride of it. Online teaching, work packs, maybe even pay some parents to help them teach from home. This would also reduce class sizes for those that need to continue to attend.

What did they do instead? Nothing. They simply didnt do anything. And now every day my kids come home I worry that this is the day they've brought the infection back.

Yeah, to make things even worse, my mrs has been given new medication, and one of the potential side effects is being prone to developing viral infections, and the leaflet mentions pneumonia specifically. Fair enough, I can't remember if it's 1 in 10 or 1 in 100, but with everything going on, she's really anxious, as am I.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Went out to the high street in Wales for the first time since the new lockdown. It was fucking RAMMED.

Nothing at all like the first lockdown, no wonder it's barely having an effect.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Went out to the high street in Wales for the first time since the new lockdown. It was fucking RAMMED.

Nothing at all like the first lockdown, no wonder it's barely having an effect.

Hmmm. 2 points.
1 - we have no idea of the effects until a week or so after it's over.
2 - todays Welsh numbers were really interesting (in a good way) - Tuesday is usually a spike day, due to the weekend lag, but they were a fair way down.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm. 2 points.
1 - we have no idea of the effects until a week or so after it's over.
2 - todays Welsh numbers were really interesting (in a good way) - Tuesday is usually a spike to, due to the weekend lag, but they were a fair way down.
Not entirely true, we should see have started seeing the effects about 10 days after lockdown. That covers incubation and testing delay.

...and I didn't say it's not coming down, it's just not coming down as fast as it should be.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Given that there is a 10-14 day period of infection, it is not surprising that a week isnt enough. I'm surprised there is such a good drop.

Oct 30, 2017
Figures coming out. Just over 20k infections, 397 deaths.

Hospital admissions steaming past 1500 now as well :(

Reading the figures, nearly 10% of people in hospital are in ventilator beds as well.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm jealous, UK-era... CanadaLand is twiddling our fucking thumbs while it all goes to down the shitter

Wallers

May 9, 2020
If you get invited to do a test based on the ZOE app, but don't otherwise have any of the main symptoms, do you still need to self-isolate? I had a very bad sore throat last night, but I've had a sore throat pretty much on and off for six months, which my GP suggested was silent reflux.

I didn't, before or after the negative result, I was confident mine was the usual sore sinus problem I have in Autumn. in the results email it says this, which is the same as the react one I did a couple of weeks ago:

Your coronavirus test result is negative. You did not have the virus when the test was done.
You only need to self-isolate if:

you develop symptoms of coronavirus (you'll need a new test)
someone you live with tests positive
you've been traced as a contact of someone who tested positive
For advice on how long to self-isolate, go to www.nhs.uk/coronavirus and read 'Self-isolation and treating symptoms'.
Otherwise, you may return to work if you've not had a high temperature for 48 hours and feel well. Talk to your employer first.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't, before or after the negative result, I was confident mine was the usual sore sinus problem I have in Autumn. in the results email it says this, which is the same as the react one I did a couple of weeks ago:

That's what I thought - it's pretty frustrating because you feel "punished" in a sense for being honest with your symptoms. I was prepared to head out climbing but in the end decided to rest anyway. It would have been good to get one final session in pre-lockdown, but I'll make the exercise up with running I think!

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So now our school, as of Thursdaywill have no option to close a bubble when a teacher is ill and can't come in for any reason. LA have banned supply teachers and if the teacher goes down in any class for any reason (migraine, cold etc) there won't be an adult to cover the class so the bubble goes down.
Last year from November onwards every single member of staff (excluding me) had at least one day off for illness purposes.
This is going to be a fun ride.

The guilt a teacher will feel will be astronomical and not fair.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So now our school, as of Thursdaywill have no option to close a bubble when a teacher is ill and can't come in for any reason. LA have banned supply teachers and if the teacher goes down in any class for any reason (migraine, cold etc) there won't be an adult to cover the class so the bubble goes down.
Last year from November onwards every single member of staff (excluding me) had at least one day off for illness purposes.
This is going to be a fun ride.

The guilt a teacher will feel will be astronomical and not fair.
I've heard of teachers being told they're breaking protocol if they self isolate because if a kid gives them COVID they clearly weren't distancing properly.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've heard of teachers being told they're breaking protocol if they self isolate because if a kid gives them COVID they clearly weren't distancing properly.

I'm not surprised.
It's impossible to socially distance in a primary school setting. Even though I teach year six and my class understand and are on top of things, the younger children just don't get it.
I was walking down the corridor to the photocopier today on the left hand side, clearly to the left of the partition and a smaller child on the other side ran across and hugged me from behind.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not surprised.
It's impossible to socially distance in a primary school setting. Even though I teach year six and my class understand and are on top of things, the younger children just don't get it.
I was walking down the corridor to the photocopier today on the left hand side, clearly to the left of the partition and a smaller child on the other side ran across and hugged me from behind.
Yuuuup my mums in primary and it's the exact same thing. You cannot socially distanced in these settings.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
So, one of my kids goes to Beavers and since September they've been meeting every other week in order to socially distance instead of every week.

Just got a message saying the following:

BEAVER PARENTS:

Assuming that nothing changes the plan for next week is that the Beaver groups can go back to meeting every week.

So no more groupings !

So, the lockdown is allowing Cubs/Beavers to continue with less social distancing than before?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So, one of my kids goes to Beavers and since September they've been meeting every other week in order to socially distance instead of every week.

Just got a message saying the following:

So, the lockdown is allowing Cubs/Beavers to continue with less social distancing than before?
Surely they wouldn't be allowed to meet at all?!

Or is this one of the weird exemptions for clubs.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Why are pubs prevented from selling takeaway alcohol during the lockdown?

(But allowed to sell anything else)

Seems pretty shitty considering that a lot of places will have excess stock that is going to go off during the next month.

And yes, people will just go to supermarkets but they're significantly cheaper and already undercut hospitality venues significantly.

Dec 2, 2017

Seems pretty shitty considering that a lot of places will have excess stock that is going to go off during the next month.

And yes, people will just go to supermarkets but they're significantly cheaper and already undercut hospitality venues significantly.
Takeaway alcohol pubs tended to cause a whole bunch of people crowding round with no masks or social distancing, just outside instead of inside a pub.

Oct 31, 2017

The problem is you get loads of people hanging around in groups right outside

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017