Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is test & trace not centralised in any way?

I've just been contacted because I was in contact with my mother but I already tested positive last week and have been contacted for that.

Such a waste of resources.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go. This is so they can just keep locking down.

www.bbc.co.uk

Covid: Rishi Sunak to extend furlough scheme to end of March

The move follows days of wrangling over the scope and duration of the wage scheme.
It's unfortunate the way the scheme works, due to the new restrictions that were put into place when the lockdown was lifted, most people in the hospitality sector got less hours, and due to that are going to get much less money than they did back during lockdown.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry but the day pubs opened we were always going to have to lockdown again before a vaccine.

The day schools opened we were always going to have to lockdown again before a vaccine.

Even if we get a vaccine we might have to lockdown before a more effective/long term vaccine.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why is test & trace not centralised in any way?

I've just been contacted because I was in contact with my mother but I already tested positive last week and have been contacted for that.

Such a waste of resources.

Such a waste of resources

Yep, that's tory privatisation for you. NHS budget of £130b total, for absolutely everything. But demand they make cuts everywhere and slash notable services across the country. Hope you don't need any mental health support.

£12b and counting pissed up the wall for an inefficient private test and trace system though? Not the slightest oversight or standards required.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's tory privatisation for you. NHS budget of £130b total, for absolutely everything. But demand they make cuts everywhere and slash notable services across the country. Hope you don't need any mental health support.

£12b and counting pissed up the wall for an inefficient private test and trace system though? Not the slightest oversight or standards required.

Not even competent at corruption.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Minister blames public for second English lockdown

We knew it was coming, doesn't make it any less galling.

Timeline
Government adviser acting as PM breaks first restrictions meaning nobody will take shit seriously ever again

To turn people away from this fact they relax our lockdown

GO OUT AND EAT IN RESUTRAUNTS!
SEND YOUR KIDS TO SCHOOL!
GO HAVE A CHEEKY PINT DOWN THE PUB!

... why are the cases getting so high again? The public can't be trusted with anything!

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm fully expecting Scotland to be back in lockdown next week and it will be a long one for sure. Sigh.

I doubt it, a national lockdown was on the cards if the govt didnt allow devolved administrations the ability to use the furlough independent of England.

With the updated scheme being available to devolved admins until March when they require, I suspect it'll be piecemeal tier 4 in the short term with Lanarkshire probably being put in next week.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I doubt it, a national lockdown was on the cards if the govt didnt allow devolved administrations the ability to use the furlough independent of England.

With the updated scheme being available to devolved admins until March when they require, I suspect it'll be piecemeal tier 4 in the short term with Lanarkshire probably being put in next week.

Yep, national Lockdown was only on the cards if furlough wasn't extended. I do see some areas getting out into Tier 4 possibly next week

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019

I dunno, I feel like she might do it since the R rate is supposedly hovering around 1 and a 4 week lockdown could get it down in time for Christmas

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't know how to feel about schools staying open. On one hand I understand the utility of it and potential adverse effects of kids being away from school, but the school rush in my very middle class pocket of London (where lockdown has never been taken seriously, classic type to think restrictions aren't for them) absolutely packs the streets with huge crowds of children, parents and au pairs. Few are masked.

It all feels like pandemic response theatre by now. I haven't been down my high street today but I'm gonna guess it's no quieter than usual.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Call me a sceptic but the Tories do nothing without reason, I just wonder if need guidance is incoming for bars etc which will make it not worth them opening up, ergo the extension to furlough

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I'm assuming this lockdown will last longer then they are saying.
I'm also assuming when it opens that pubs, restaurants etc will all remain closed hence the furlough scheme

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Aren't infection rates "baked in" for one to two weeks after a lockdown?
Average incubation to symptoms is 5 days, can take up to 14. Add maybe a couple of days for a test...

Should definitely be seeing a meaningful change by now, working on a realistic average of infection to symptoms to test of say, 10 days. But I guess we'll see. If we're not looking at more like 50% down by next Monday (17 days of lockdown), then I'd argue the lockdown was ineffective.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
This is going to make some of my friends extremely happy, they have been on furlough since day 1 and have been loving it.
I hate to sound like one of "those types", but it's crazy that there are categories of people who will have essentially been off work on full pay for an entire year by March 2021. That's going to be a very difficult genie to re-bottle.

RiggyRob

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to sound like one of "those types", but it's crazy that there are categories of people who will have essentially been off work on full pay for an entire year by March 2021. That's going to be a very difficult genie to re-bottle.

I think it makes the case for UBI all the more important. Where's the calls of 'zombie jobs' and 'weaning the public off furlough' now?

Still think Sunak's trying to portray himself as the saviour that the BBC were happy to comply with 😒

Dec 2, 2017
Germany and Sweden have been added to the quarantine list from Sunday.
And he stated on the second they will return to the tier system level of restrictions.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I would like to see what staff that head of the NHS actually asked. As those top 3 things don't seem like anything staff would say

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah I'm right there with you, to be honest I'm very jealous of them. We all work in Tech and they have all had their salaries bumped to 90% which is above the 2.5k cap that was in place.

I know I'm very lucky to be able to work from home earning good money but it was a very tough pill to swallow, knowing they are at home with time to spend with family, train etc. when I've never been this busy.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, in a weird way this year has flown by - crazy to think that we're now talking about measures which have lasted so long.

First day of furlough for me, and I just don't know what I'm supposed to be doing lol :/

don't know if I'd like it long term

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OMG Test and Trace is a total fucking farce. I just realised they are now telling us to isolate until the 12th because that's 14 days after my mum tested positive but she had already been in hospital for several days at that point. It's a total joke and no one knows what the fuck they are on about.

We've been isolating for a fucking month at this point and they keep adding more and more days to it.

😡

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OMG Test and Trace is a total fucking farce. I just realised they are now telling us to isolate until the 12th because that's 14 days after my mum tested positive but she had already been in hospital for several days at that point. It's a total joke and no one knows what the fuck they are on about.

We've been isolating for a fucking month at this point and they keep adding more and more days to it.

😡

No one else has symptoms though, right? It's 14 days because that's the cut off where you're extremely sure whether you were infected or not (if you show symptoms), or roughly how long you need to be sure you've stopped being infectious if you're infected but not showing symptoms.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one else has symptoms though, right? It's 14 days because that's the cut off where you're extremely sure whether you were infected or not (if you show symptoms), or roughly how long you need to be sure you've stopped being infectious if you're infected but not showing symptoms.

My brother was already positive before that(that's why we were already isolating) and me and my dad tested positive on the same day(no symptoms). We were meant to be done by the 9th but now they've arbitrarily added days on to it because my mum was tested several days after being admitted to hospital.