• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The third biome was were I struggled the most. For similar reasons. My gameplay style does not mesh well with with the pistol or shotgun. Have you had any luck extending your integrity or finding an astronaut?
Yeah I always have one astronaut and 125+% but the third Biome still destroys me, today I went to the final room with an astronaut, great carbine, 4 healing items and even a regen when low on HP...
The room went on lockdown, 5 Kamikazes and 2 giants appeared, all my items were gone :(

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Question about the house segment in the 4th Biome
What item does it unlock? The other ones gave me the item right away but I didn't get anything but a message that something new unlocked after that one
I think it's
a burnt piano key that increases the drop rate, maybe?

Yeah, I also had one sequence that didn't give me an artefact. Is there a way to get them later? That would be the first thing that rellay bugged out for me. Actually thinking about getting the platinum if this didn't fuck me over.
boss 4 was significantly easier than 3 right?
Definitely the other way around for me.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Nailed it.

The more I spend with the game and open it up, the more I feel like standard save game system would just fundamentally change the game.

When your sole argument is 'but I always start with a single measly pistol and no meta progress'... Well, that's just not true after couple of bosses down. The game is meta-as-fuck in all directions.

A single "save and quit" doesn't change the game at all though. It just allows us to leave and come back in a current run because we don't always have X amount of hours to play and rest mode can't be fully trusted.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Played about 3 hours last night. Wow.

Two questions for y'all though:

1. Would you recommend just pausing the game and turning off the TV rather than go into rest mode? Trying to think of the best way to avoid crashes.

2. Anyone try those high malignant thingies? I'm nervous to try one but I'm really curious if the benefits could be better too

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The thing I can't get over is that there's clearly a missing boss in this game. There are 6 worlds, 5 bosses. Where is boss 6? One of the biomes is missing a boss, and it just feels like missing/cut content.

I wonder if there's any chance we could get this as DLC/a free update?

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
There are 5 (+1 after collecting the Sunface Fragments that start appearing once you've seen the first 5).

If you can't enter the house in either biome 1 or 4, you've seen all that are available (and can start looking for the fragments).
Perfect, thanks again. Makes sense too since one of those logs mentioned the fragments.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This item is VERY GOOD when you find it early. I managed to double my HP pool by not picking up the little green items when I was not full health. I went through the rooms as I could, and came back to sleep to get my health back and pick them all at once. Is pretty much the main reason I managed to get overpowered and get pass the 3rd biome, where I was stuck.
Yeah, that's a great strategy for the first area. Use the ship to heal up whenever needed (use translocators to zip around), don't pick up any green items, once you have Boss area unlocked go back through to pick them all up. PROFIT!

Don't have the ship in any of the later areas as far as I can tell...so best to juice up in Biome 1.

t0rment

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 3 hours last night. Wow.

Two questions for y'all though:

1. Would you recommend just pausing the game and turning off the TV rather than go into rest mode? Trying to think of the best way to avoid crashes.

2. Anyone try those high malignant thingies? I'm nervous to try one but I'm really curious if the benefits could be better too

the malignant things are not worth it if you don't have a consumable that removes the malfunction. they are not properly balanced at all.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Perfect, thanks again. Makes sense too since one of those logs mentioned the fragments.
I may add that you shouldn't trust guides like this as far as locations go. I've seen differing ones in my own game.

Not sure if there is 100% spawn chance per run per biome though, but it felt like it. By exploring enough, I picked up the fragments from 1 to 5 first try, and couldn't find the 6th one so I don't know if it didn't spawn or if I just missed it (surely the latter).

Additional tip (don't read if you want to explore yourself), but check the "boss" room as soon as possible in biome 5. The fragment was right there for me, and I went through the 3 main branches first when I could have skipped almost the entire biome.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the first 2 biomes with 12 deaths, I'm at 21 right now and no way close to beating Biome 3, in 22 runs do you know how many good parasites I've found? 1 literally 1, and weapons I'm only finding shotguns or pistols most of the time
It just depends on what you're willing to buff at the risk of something else. Generally I think about what I'm currently using and what I think I can manage taking on. Sometimes I pick up parasites that increase the chance or risk of a malignant trait occurring because I don't plan on interacting with those things.
And additionally, gaining a malignant trait is not always a terrible thing, since the pay off can be beneficial. The requirements to get rid of them are pretty easy most of the time. There are some really bad ones though.

Oct 25, 2017
Health is the biggest problem for most people though. Especially in the 3rd biome. If you dont go in +50%, you can quite easily get fucked very quickly by the enemy compostion. Im not saying that you dont make progress. I just think saying 'you get shortcuts' is missing what is actually the most time consuming thing about a run, which is building your character to a point where you might actually survive.
Yep, I think this is one of the major gameplay loop complaints that I have. There should be a way to dump ether into an increased stat based system. I can dunk on biome one, I want to skip it, but you are nearly forced to abuse the ship to heal and increase your HP pool.

Walking into the 3rd Biome Boss with a health pool like:

uaGsQyj.png

changes everything.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Found a new run-ruining bug - if you try to skip a fabricator scene as it's ending, you get stuck at a black screen. Cool!!!

seriously I will never get past the first biome, love QA'ing 70 dollar games!

The best part is you can't even end your run with the start button, you have to manually close out the game from the Home Screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Nailed it.

The more I spend with the game and open it up, the more I feel like standard save game system would just fundamentally change the game.

When your sole argument is 'but I always start with a single measly pistol and no meta progress'... Well, that's just not true after couple of bosses down. The game is meta-as-fuck in all directions.
No one is really asking for a standard save based system though. That is what is being lost here, people are asking for a way to quit the game when they are done and load up/delete that save when they want to return. The idea that my console can only be a Returnal console until I'm done playing is absolutely absurd.

Friends invite you to play a different game, sorry yall, I would lose my Returnal game. Netflix? HBO? Nope, sorry, this console is only for Returnal right now. Its a garbage system that they realize, I think its just down to figuring out how to implement it.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
No one is really asking for a standard save based system though. That is what is being lost here, people are asking for a way to quit the game when they are done and load up/delete that save when they want to return. The idea that my console can only be a Returnal console until I'm done playing is absolutely absurd.

Friends invite you to play a different game, sorry yall, I would lose my Returnal game. Netflix? HBO? Nope, sorry, this console is only for Returnal right now. Its a garbage system that they realize, I think its just down to figuring out how to implement it.
Yeah, I think expecting to put your console to rest in the middle of a run that could last up the 3 hours is a little much to ask.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
I think what happened is the mom and daughter got in a car accident and fell into a lake that actually did have an elder god of sorts in it. The reality they are sent to is a blender of both people, their griefs (not going into space, the accident) , the things they like (Light up toy octopus, Resogun) and a splash of an actual interdimensional society/world. The only thing I don't understand is the astronaut in the road and whether or not that actually happened.

The "true ending" may answer the question, working towards it now

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I almost died when I tried to grapple hook away from a fight only for Selene to start scanning an object in front of me. Wish I could change one of those bindings but it doesn't seem I can.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017

Was decked out this run, this image taken right after beating Nemesis and Biome 3. Had freaking 6 Silphium Vials to use and my auto heal Artifacts were so strong I didn't even need them.

Do I have to do something before I can pick up Sundial fragments? This was my first run post credits and I didn't find a single one in any of the three Biomes.

Maxed out Artifacts and Proficiency and I gotta say I'm not a fan of how you can max out proficiency. Seems like something that you should be able to stack perpetually to me.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for late game, need some help:
What am I supposed to do in Chapter 3? There is no objective but in the first biome you now can access the Derelict Citadel through the shortcut, going there is suicidal though as the difficulty ramps, once I got lucky and got to the end there but Nemesis was there and got killed on last phase with 20% left on the boss, am I supposed to just face Nemesis again or find the broadcast signal elsewhere in the Citadel?

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017

Was decked out this run, this image taken right after beating Nemesis and Biome 3. Had freaking 6 Silphium Vials to use and my auto heal Artifacts were so strong I didn't even need them.

Do I have to do something before I can pick up Sundial fragments? This was my first run post credits and I didn't find a single one in any of the three Biomes.

Click on spoiler posts lol.

You have to have played all 5 house sequences before fragments start spawning.

Spoilers for late game, need some help:
What am I supposed to do in Chapter 3? There is no objective but in the first biome you now can access the Derelict Citadel through the shortcut, going there is suicidal though as the difficulty ramps, once I got lucky and got to the end there but Nemesis was there and got killed on last phase with 20% left on the boss, am I supposed to just face Nemesis again or find the broadcast signal elsewhere in the Citadel?

Same as above. See all house sequences, then you'll have one fragment to find in each biome.

Oct 25, 2017

That ether cap.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are 5 (+1 after collecting the Sunface Fragments that start appearing once you've seen the first 5).

If you can't enter the house in either biome 1 or 4, you've seen all that are available (and can start looking for the fragments).

Okay. Not too bad. Well, it's time to start running through the biomes now. Oh well.
Yeah I always have one astronaut and 125+% but the third Biome still destroys me, today I went to the final room with an astronaut, great carbine, 4 healing items and even a regen when low on HP...
The room went on lockdown, 5 Kamikazes and 2 giants appeared, all my items were gone :(

Yeah the rocket barrages are annoying. The only advice I can give is to try make them the priority whenever you see them on your radar, and watch for the delay on their tracking. I found that waiting a couple seconds until the barrage begins homing towards you and THEN dodging was shaking them. But even then you gotta keep your head on swivel because another barrage could be coming from off screen.

Also not sure if you made it to boss 3 yet but there's a shortcut so you don't have to ascend up to him repeatedly.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
4th boss is one of the best boss fights I've ever seen in a game. Just amazing.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
The items you get for entering the house are those only one time use? Haven't seen them since I picked them up the first time.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I played this game until my thumbs hurt last night. I think it's an excellent game but I also think it will be much better after six months of patches and wouldn't really recommend it right now to those on the fence.

I also predict there will be purists who felt it was a much better game at launch with no save and quit, before things get nerfed and buffed, etc.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game myself but from the too many videos I saw, that appears to be the case. The risk-reward ratio just seems severely out of whack.
i think it's worth it a lot of the time. the stuff you have to do to get rid of them are sometimes very easy. the only time its not worth it is if you are at low health or have run out of rooms to explore. Some of the debuffs are so minor, they're not even worth getting rid of.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Played for a bit. Died as I got overwhelmed by enemies in one room.
Great game but I can already tell that's it's damn hard.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Although I'm really enjoying the game, I just feel like it would be more enjoyable with slightly more permanent progression. I know that flies in the face of the genre, but...

Having to start all over and find better weapons and health kits (don't use one on the hard ass room that might pop up right before the boss!) just feels a little like a chore. Maybe let us buy two large kits.

But the core gameplay is just so good.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the game myself but from the too many videos I saw, that appears to be the case. The risk-reward ratio just seems severely out of whack.

I've played for about six hours and yeah I feel like I'm constantly taking risks and rarely being rewarded. It's definitely tough. But I'm still trying to get the hang of everything so I'm still learning. I'm trying to find out if this is like Hades where eventually once everything clicks basically any run is viable.

I haven't really been keeping up with the conversation but I guess I'm not surprised.

Last edited:

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Struggled a bit with biome 4 but it didn't take too long to get over the hump. Biome 5 is completely destroying me lol. I got into the habit of frequently swapping weapons to experiment and grind new traits but I can't mess around with a weak/slow/unfamiliar weapon in biome 5.

Also, I tried to use the reconstructor on 2 different biomes in one run hoping I'd get double benefit. Nope, seems like the second overrides the first and it's 6 ether wasted.

Oct 25, 2017
Although I'm really enjoying the game, I just feel like it would be more enjoyable with slightly more permanent progression. I know that flies in the face of the genre, but...

Having to start all over and find better weapons and health kits (don't use it on the hard ass room that might pop up right before the boss!) just feels a little like a chore. But the core gameplay is just so good.
I think there will be some drastic balance tweaks in the next few months. I wouldn't be surprised to see ether being used to increase starting health pool, weapon proficiency, or maybe even general stat increases (protection, overload reload, etc). I thought that was the original purpose of the obelisk next to the ship, but dumping it in there doesn't seem to be really worth it.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Struggled a bit with biome 4 but it didn't take too long to get over the hump. Biome 5 is completely destroying me lol. I got into the habit of frequently swapping weapons to experiment and grind new traits but I can't mess around with a weak/slow/unfamiliar weapon in biome 5.

Also, I tried to use the reconstructor on 2 different biomes in one run hoping I'd get double benefit. Nope, seems like the second overrides the first and it's 6 ether wasted.
That isn't even an override - a reconstructor is only active as long as you're playing in that biome. If you hadn't activated the second one, you wouldn't have been revived at all.