• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I really don't like are the local teleport points that move you to different parts of the same room.

They really break the flow and don't add anything to the experience IMO.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat boss 2! Man what a rush. This fucking game!

Did it with a pistol. I was hesitant, but the homing missile perk saved me honestly. I kept full adrenaline for the first two phases and then fucked up the third lol. If anyone is curious I streamed the whole run.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played yet but from what it sounds like, there's no permanent buff to your health, which is a bummer. Health upgrades almost always make me feel a little better in roguelites, and I imagine if they were a thing in this, it'd make runs a lot shorter because you wouldn't need to run around earlier biomes collecting upgrades before moving forward.

I also wonder if Housemarque will look at player data and do some rebalancing. The trend for a lot of roguelikes is to release them in early access to gather this data, but this didn't have that. I've been stalking this thread and I wonder if the game could use a rejiggering of some aspects. Namely allowing you to spend ether on permanent health upgrades to make the early game grind a little less annoying.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really struggling to make it through the 3rd biome.

Any tips making it past the last batch of encounters leading up to the boss

Focus the drones that do missile barrages. I know there's turrets that lob AOE, in addition to those big robots who crawl towards you but honestly you can evade them by bunny hopping around constantly. It's the drones you need to worry about. If you're referring to the room where an enemy who looks like the Cyberdemon pops up, you can honestly just grapple up to rafters and cheese those pillars.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I always have one astronaut and 125+% but the third Biome still destroys me, today I went to the final room with an astronaut, great carbine, 4 healing items and even a regen when low on HP...
The room went on lockdown, 5 Kamikazes and 2 giants appeared, all my items were gone :(

When I hit the third stage I usually have 200% hp or more. I think your early game decision making is off.

Crucially, every time there is a risk/reward scenario that enables me to sacrifice something for a chance to get HP, I take it. It's almost always worth it.

Folks who are saying to avoid malignancies and parasites are shooting themselves in the foot (will go into detail in another post, because I wanted to talk about this separately). But in general, most risks are worth it in Returnal, the net positive is there, you just have to see the bigger picture.

For instance, and this is a fairly big factor in boosting your HP over the course, I take every single malignant resin that I can because the damage dealt is something like 10%, for the potential benefit of a long-term gain.

Another example, I just had a run where I took 6 paracites on the first floor. Various disadvantages, most of them were managable, things like enemies drop a pool of acid on death, take damage from falls etc. I managed to boost my HP up to 140% ish by taking them, and gain a vast array of benefits such as increased repair effiency. Then I found an artificat where attaching and detaching paracites repairs integrity, so I took all 6 off with a consumable that I found on the floor which detaches all paracites.

In the end of that exchange, I have 145% HP and 11 artifacts at the end of the first floor. No parasites, I used the parasites and their interaction with other items to gain a huge net positive. I could have kept the parasites too, it wouldn't have been an issue for survivability because as I say, the effects are pretty meaningless on the ones I chose to take. Critically the parasites that I take do not affect me in boss fights.

Fall damage? Not a factor in boss fights. Damage while standing still reduced? Okay, whatever.

At the end of the first floor of this run the artififacts I have are

Blade Balancer - Enables a more powerful melee attack
Emergency Repairs - At low integrity, suit auto repairs
Integrity Circuit - Gaining Malfunctions increases max integrity
Progenitor Egg - Attaching parasites repairs integrity
Reactive stabilisers - 85% chance to avoid being knocked down
Recharging overload - Successful overload reduces alt fire cd by 3s
Pulsating mass - Attaching or detaching paracites improves your max integrity
Execution rush - Melee kills briefly increase speed and protection
Obelite stabiliser - Dropped obelites last 3s longer
Adrenaline Stimulants - Gain 5% weapon damage per adrenaline level
Murmuring cocoon - Increase the positive effects of parasites

I highlighted those items because they're either powerful, or have cool synergy. Anyway, I can already tell by taking risks early, this run is going to snowball into something completely unstoppable. Whenever I get any paracites or malignancies, my max integrity increases. Murmuring cocoon means that the paracites I do take will be stronger, with clear net positives overall. Adrenaline stimulants will allow me to tear through regular mobs without much issue. Obelites last longer on the ground which means I'll be able to collect almost every obelite from an enemy I kill, and ensure I can buy whatever I want to snowball further.

Taking many risks early can create a run that's absolutely insane in this game. I think if you're getting to the third stage with 125% ish hp then you need to re-think the decisions you are making early. If I don't mess up this run (because there's always that potential) i'm confident I will end it with over 200% HP and some really insane buffs.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I made it back to the first boss, did better but died.

Next play thru I get no teleport pad back to the ship...and a lockdown room that I couldn't avoid and it was early. Almost made it but my mistakes did me in. lol

This game at times just decided to say fuck you.
Biome 1:
Use the ship to restore health, don't use Silphium for this. It will increase your HP pool if you are max health.
Do not open chests till the end of your run. Increase Weapon proficiency to 4 before you open chests, that way you can get a ilvl 6 gun.
Nice.

My hunch about this was right. I was also gonna start doing the free fabricating near the end in case I had maglinants that needed to be fixed. Finally got 6 Ether again, trying to save them as best I can.

Anyone had an item appear near them out of thin air? I thought it was a trap at first.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Really struggling to make it through the 3rd biome.

Any tips making it past the last batch of encounters leading up to the boss
After many failed attempts, I managed to not get any dmg. The key is to keep the big guy out of range and and kite/slowly kill those guys that have no legs and cant attack you when you are not in the ground with them.

When you are 1v1 against the big guy, just don't take any risk, keep a very long distance, shoot for a tiny bit and hide.

One thing that also helped me a lot, is Protection buffs. I actually think is way better to spend on those upgrades, than buying life consumables.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I made it back to the first boss, did better but died.

Next play thru I get no teleport pad back to the ship...and a lockdown room that I couldn't avoid and it was early. Almost made it but my mistakes did me in. lol

This game at times just decided to say fuck you.

Nice.

My hunch about this was right. I was also gonna start doing the free fabricating near the end in case I had maglinants that needed to be fixed. Finally got 6 Ether again, trying to save them as best I can.

Anyone had an item appear near them out of thin air? I thought it was a trap at first.

This happened to me when I kept dying in biome 3. I assume it was the developers way of trying to help out. I just wish it happened a little more often because I was dying a lot.

NazzyQ

Apr 6, 2018
Just died to the third boss. Please tell me there's a shortcut back here 😩. Can't deal with the dual wielding machine gun robots again

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I know it defeats the purpose of design, but I'm hope they can use the assets and create a classic mode that let you play, explore and level up like a traditional metroid game without the randomizer layout and restart.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
When I hit the third stage I usually have 200% hp or more. I think your early game decision making is off.

Crucially, every time there is a risk/reward scenario that enables me to sacrifice something for a chance to get HP, I take it. It's almost always worth it.

Folks who are saying to avoid malignancies and parasites are shooting themselves in the foot (will go into detail in another post, because I wanted to talk about this separately). But in general, most risks are worth it in Returnal, the net positive is there, you just have to see the bigger picture.

For instance, and this is a fairly big factor in boosting your HP over the course, I take every single malignant resin that I can because the damage dealt is something like 10%, for the potential benefit of a long-term gain.

Another example, I just had a run where I took 6 paracites on the first floor. Various disadvantages, most of them were managable, things like enemies drop a pool of acid on death, take damage from falls etc. I managed to boost my HP up to 140% ish by taking them, and gain a vast array of benefits such as increased repair effiency. Then I found an artificat where attaching and detaching paracites repairs integrity, so I took all 6 off with a consumable that I found on the floor which detaches all paracites.

In the end of that exchange, I have 145% HP and 11 artifacts at the end of the first floor. No parasites, I used the parasites and their interaction with other items to gain a huge net positive. I could have kept the parasites too, it wouldn't have been an issue for survivability because as I say, the effects are pretty meaningless on the ones I chose to take. Critically the parasites that I take do not affect me in boss fights.

Fall damage? Not a factor in boss fights. Damage while standing still reduced? Okay, whatever.

I highlighted those items because they're either powerful, or have cool synergy. Anyway, I can already tell by taking risks early, this run is going to snowball into something completely unstoppable. Whenever I get any paracites or malignancies, my max integrity increases. Murmuring cocoon means that the paracites I do take will be stronger, with clear net positives overall. Adrenaline stimulants will allow me to tear through regular mobs without much issue. Obelites last longer on the ground which means I'll be able to collect almost every obelite from an enemy I kill, and ensure I can buy whatever I want to snowball further.

Taking many risks early can create a run that's absolutely insane in this game. I think if you're getting to the third stage with 125% ish hp then you need to re-think the decisions you are making early. If I don't mess up this run (because there's always that potential) i'm confident I will end it with over 200% HP and some really insane buffs.
Agree with this about parasites, malignants.

My last few runs the negatives were:

damage opening doors with some key (I dont have any more of those or they are so few it didnt matter)
damage from long falls (rarely happens)
while in air gun damage -50% (easy to deal with)

All basically harmless.

One time I just had to fabricate 1 thing to clean one.

I say got for it, especially the ones where you can see the negatives before taking it. Those you can decide if its worth the risk.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Biome 3 shortcut for those that may not know.

Once you get the grappling hook from Boss 2, there's a way to go straight to Biome 3 from 1. When you die and restart you can build your character in Biome 1 if you choose to and instead of going to the portal to reach Biome 2, follow the orange objective indicator. You'll get to an area where you can grapple your way up to the large double doors. Takes you right to the entrance to Biome 3.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Got to biome 3. This game is just everything I wanted it to be. The lore, music, rogue lite, alien design, it hits all my checkboxes.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This was very informative, thanks!

Only downside last time in third biome for me was I had 200% HP before final boss but two-three absolutely terrible weapons, I wasn't ready weapon wise, so those awful giants and turetts and whatnot melted a lot of good will before I even engaged Nemesis. Got him to second phase only.

Better luck (and planning) next time.

Report how it went pls!

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Gettin deeper into NG+ after finishing Act 1 last night. The story reasons/beats to explain NG+ and stuff is so great

Very black mirror/SCP feelin shit. I kind of feel for these sentients after reading all of the tablets and stuff. Putting together what happened on Atropos is totally drawing me in a way i did not expect. Housemarque got that magic - so glad they decided to take their style into a tps.

Speaking about the bugs:

I have - without thinking the consequences through - picked up two things that completely obliterated runs. The damage on picking up an item was such a stupid decision cause I should have KNOW what it would do but it makes your adrenaline fackin impossible. Pissed me off when i realized.

The other horrible one was Melee kills return health BUT you can't pick up health items - I THOUGHT this meant any of consumable healing items. makes sense in my head at the time. And then i realize that it's every healing item. Every single green integrity item on the floor is out of bounds. Every map LITTERED with health that i couldn't pick up.
So awful lol

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this about parasites, malignants.

My last few runs the negatives were:

damage opening doors with some key (I dont have any more of those or they are so few it didnt matter)
damage from long falls (rarely happens)
while in air gun damage -50% (easy to deal with)

All basically harmless.

One time I just had to fabricate 1 thing to clean one.

I say got for it, especially the ones where you can see the negatives before taking it. Those you can decide if its worth the risk.

Eh idk. Losing half damage on jump shots sounds horrible considering I do a lot shooting mid air because I'm constantly hopping. And there were plenty of falls in the future biomes that you would think do zero damage, but they end up taking a chunk off instead. Some of these falls happen in actual rooms where you're actively fighting. Anything that impedes my flow of a battle is a bad trade off, imo.

Parasites just seem like a smarter investment because you know what you're getting yourself into. You can win big on malignant stuff but you can also severely fuck with what was working for you to begin with. That's the whole point of finding a run that works for you.

Like I ended up biting off more than I could chew trying to pad my HP when I got hit with a malfunction that prevented me from picking up items (how am I supposed to heal?), and another one that wanted me to use the fabricator 3 times, when I was already pressed for money because I used them for consumables in the middle of the run. They can ruin your flow, and ever since I avoided them and focused on parasites and artifacts I've been blazing through the biomes relatively fine.

t0rment

Oct 27, 2017
i just now read the eurogamer review and I recommend it to anyone that's on the fence about this game.

it describes pretty accurately the game design and its consequences, for better or worse, and then you can make the decision well informed.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Although I'm really enjoying the game, I just feel like it would be more enjoyable with slightly more permanent progression. I know that flies in the face of the genre, but...

Having to start all over and find better weapons and health kits (don't use one on the hard ass room that might pop up right before the boss!) just feels a little like a chore. Maybe let us buy two large kits.

But the core gameplay is just so good.

Made that choice by now to wait for patches and balance tweaks. I'll check back in six months.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I actually have been 100% in the dark about this game and just noticed it released, so I bought it cause I do love Housemarque. Got about 2 hours of gaming in, Really enjoyed it! But man, it's easy to get overwhelmed fast. Do I need to play this like Enter the Gungeon or Doom and just fucking Bounce and hop around doing 360 no scope kills? Cause If thats how I need to be playing I'm way fucking down.

Feb 15, 2019
85decbc82000ee7929b2349e28dd554f.png

Beat the game! I loved the gameplay a lot, it's just great. Took my time exploring every room I could go in and probably could've shaved off 3 deaths from my unfortunate run in biome 5.

From researching a bit it doesn't seem like there's too many reasons to do multiple runs other than unlock the true ending and a couple of extra logs which I will probably do at some point so as a pure roguelike it probably lacks a bit of variety or reasons to keep playing other than the gameplay itself but the tradeoff is that the runs take longer so there's more "meat" to the game so to speak. Which makes sense for an AAA game tbh, that way most people will be able to mostly experience everything the game has to offer if they do a thorough complete run.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the second boss on my first try, so I myself feel like a boss at the moment. Still a hard game though, it's an uphill climb to get to a boss.

The game is really great so far: ultratight controls, awesome gameplay in general, cool enemy variety and it simply feels quite original. The lack of exit-saving is by far the biggest bummer, and I also think the impressive graphics take a hit with the worse art direction in areas 2 and 3. Hopefully it picks up again.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus you guys are good at this huh, congrats!

I'm at 17 hours and barely attemped Nemesis. Will probably break 30 by the time I'm done lol.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where are the daily challenges and stuff located? I can find the terminal that has my stats and stuff but never see any challenges. And the only other thing on the ship seems to be the swapping suits terminal.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
I'm about 8-10 hours in and still haven't beaten the first boss. This game is incredibly frustrating to me. Losing all progress to death feels like punishment and is very discouraging.
I might drop it but I am very interested in the plot and I love the setting and the gameplay.

Mar 19, 2021
BEAT THE GAME! Took me 25 hours and 32 deaths, a lot of which were stupid, but super proud!! Unfortunately none of the trophies popped after biome 4 but well... That final boss was epic and biome 6 overall might be my favourite, the design there is exceptional

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to the first boss. It took me out at phase 3. Seems easy if he can avoid the teleport melee. It's going down on my next run.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the 3rd boss!

Lost so many runs due to those FUCKING ASSHOLE SUICIDE DRONES that spawn like 10 at a time, lol.

They are the most unbalanced enemy in the game by far. Their missile attack is hard to see, hard to dodge, lightning fast, and kills you in like 3 hits.

I'd much rather fight a boss than a drone swarm. They need a nerf bad.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me. Just spent the best part of an hour making a solid build to tackle biome 5. Get there pretty decked out, pick up a level 22 carbine thinking "that'll do the trick", enter a challenge room and get shredded. Died on the last wave.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Question on Biome 3 post boss battle
So I beat nemesis and got all the cut scenes, was the game supposed to pretty much start your run over? Also my trophy didn't pop

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of these benefits you mentioned can be gotten without getting malfunctions pretty early on but I guess it depends on luck. I didn't take on any malfunctions without a way to wipe them and had over 200% health pretty much through my entire run with great parasites and artifacts.

I guess, just be picky with what you take and get lucky?