• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Recap was the most Double Fine thing in quite some time, what a great way to start this long anticipated sequel.

I'm early in the game but so far, so worth the wait. Loading from menu is super fast as well:

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
No Ultrawide support for pre-rendered cutscenes, stings me. I hope someone makes a quick fix for it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you get to the first hatbox? (2nd luggage item). Do you have to come back? First two abilities dont seem to help

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Not a trolling question- if I am bored out of my mind in the tutorial area, can I safely assume this game isn't for me and uninstall?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Ok some early thoughts. I have to go sleep because man this release is a pain for eu people. Anyway.

I'm really liking it so far. I like the characters but I'm only in tutorial land so the writing is very driven to that so it's not really representative but I notice a lot of good things already, like a solidity and dexterity to it that really shows great care.

The combat is real nice, I really like that every enemy has its own very clear strategy which makes it more of a strategy thing where you have to evaluate which enemy you need to prioritize at any given point. The TK feels a lot like Control which is interesting, I wonder if it was an inspiration and/or gave them some degree of direction with it, or if it was this way before that game released. I think it's kind of awkward that in the UI the bumpers are above the triggers... it doesn't map with my brain that tells me the triggers are farther away than the bumpers but that's a minor issue tbh, and may be adequate for other players.

One issue that I have, but I feel like this with every modern game, I feel like the art is so good and there is so much detail everywhere that I'm constantly afraid of not spending enough time in every room or I'll miss something. This gives me some anxiety to be honest. I wish it were more barren, or sparse which is a kinder way of putting it. But games these days are like this so I'm not sure what to feel here.

Anyway the team is probably reading this thread and I'd like to say I'm loving it and it's a very special game, I can feel it. The love that went into it is palpable and it will probably eclipse any issue the game might have. Good work!

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Nah, plenty of straight up Microsoft Studios games on the Windows Store natively support the DS4 (Forzas/Gears/Flight Sim, games that already natively support the DS4), it's not super rare these days.
Well Forza Horizon was definitely not working for me, along with several other games, until I used DS4windows.

Glad to hear that is changing! Normally I would add a non-steam game to Steam to use the DualSense that way, but doesn't work when folders are encrypted, heh

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
One issue that I have, but I feel like this with every modern game, I feel like the art is so good and there is so much detail everywhere that I'm constantly afraid of not spending enough time in every room or I'll miss something.

I think you can't even get everything visiting areas for the first time. I already had a bag behind a wall where I should have burned down a painting to get to it but I learned that a few minutes later and can't get back there right now.
And I still have no idea what to do with these white spiral things in the air so that's for a second visit too I think.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so, so thrilled with this so far, I didn't expect to love the beginning this much. I'm only an hour in, but this is already exceeding my wildest expectations. The game feels fantastic to play, looks and feels super polished, the writing is sharp, and the visuals are STUNNING both technically and in terms of design. It's just so charming and wonderfully animated. This is already the best non-Nintendo 3D platformer I've played in ages.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Don't plan on playing the game myself for awhile, but I appreciate these types of disclaimers

Played a few games this year that I wish had something similar.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else having an issue with the subtitles being literally gigantic on the pc version? (so large that bigger sentences actually go off-screen). Its particularly bad on the "previously on psiconauts 2" video. I have large subtitles off btw.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
shoutout to the excellent soundtrack in this. Outside of the really bombastic stuff like Doom '16, I don't notice soundtracks in a lot of modern games but it's really standout here.

awesome vibes!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Xbox Series X 4K PNG Screenshots 60fps mode

da2236fd-fe82-40ff-b05f-568a99adde8d.png

f53acfe7-a771-4d63-9653-07cecd3690c1.png

2f578772-cdab-40bc-8d31-f1855b67483f.png

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Blessed quick resume day 1 game. Not like I'll be playing anything else

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Would love a performance tweaking guide or benchmark...
Is anyone else having an issue with the subtitles being literally gigantic on the pc version? (so large that bigger sentences actually go off-screen). Its particularly bad on the "previously on psiconauts 2" video. I have large subtitles off btw.
Haven't launched a new game yet but yes on the Previously On video, they were off screen. PC version, on a tv.

Oct 28, 2017
So I played the first level. Um.....first impressions are that I prefer the way the first game feels to play. It feels like with the combat they've tried to add more to it but that's really not something I wanted. I can see the combat getting irritating later on and I'd be fine if it was kept as simple as the original. We'll see.

As for the platforming, I went from smile to frown so hard when I unlocked and started using levitation. It aint infinite anymore boooooooo. That's ok I'll unlock rolling ball soon and all will be well.......wait that doesn't give me high jump anymore?! That's a good chunk of the traversal fun of the original gone.

It's still good and they've likely made those changes to tighten up the gameplay and force more tight platforming challenges later on. It may end up being a positive thing but right now I just miss the way those things felt in the original.

Game is pretty charming though and totally Psychonauts.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I really want to play this immediately but I feel like I need to finish off playing Psychonauts 1 first. Guess you'll have to wait a few more days, Psychonauts 2.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to give Psychonauts 1 a shot before seeing this was releasing later tonight and....well...wasn't a great experience. Finished the first level and remain impressed by much of the art direction and thematic ideas, but only found the platforming passible at best, with genuinely annoying moments sprinkled here and there.

Skipped over to Psychonauts 2, and it's a complete breath of fresh air. The jokes hit faster, they're funnier, the VA is top-notch, the animation is doing some cool Looney Tunes/Tartakovsky shit, and the platforming only feels a *little* off. I'm looking forward to getting in a bit more.

On a different note, performance on PC is mostly smooth, but, as others have said before, I'm running into occasional stutter when hitting some objects in scenes. I also had a brief stutter during the cutscene after the opening level. Otherwise the game is buttery smooth and looks stunning.

Looks like I'm going to have to play Rhombus of Ruin after this? Seems like Rhombus is a bit more of a direct prelude to the goings-on in this game than the original Psychonauts.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Playing on PC, 4K60. Beautiful game and especially looks great on the OLED. I am getting some slight stutters during loading but gameplay has been smooth so far.

Enjoy the voice acting, top notch. Last week tried to play the original again but it's very dated, this is so much better looking and smoother.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting some nasty framerate spikes in the PC version. It seems like asset loading. They happen in the middle of the level though and made me miss a few jumps. Really annoying.

Also, the frame rate drops below 60 consistently in several areas so far.

3070, 1440p, everything high, i7 7700, SSD install, 16 gig ram

Last edited:

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to give Psychonauts 1 a shot before seeing this was releasing later tonight and....well...wasn't a great experience. Finished the first level and remain impressed by much of the art direction and thematic ideas, but only found the platforming passible at best, with genuinely annoying moments sprinkled here and there.

Skipped over to Psychonauts 2, and it's a complete breath of fresh air. The jokes hit faster, they're funnier, the VA is top-notch, the animation is doing some cool Looney Tunes/Tartakovsky shit, and the platforming only feels a *little* off. I'm looking forward to getting in a bit more.

On a different note, performance on PC is mostly smooth, but, as others have said before, I'm running into occasional stutter when hitting some objects in scenes. I also had a brief stutter during the cutscene after the opening level. Otherwise the game is buttery smooth and looks stunning.

Looks like I'm going to have to play Rhombus of Ruin after this? Seems like Rhombus is a bit more of a direct prelude to the goings-on in this game than the original Psychonauts.
I also thought the first game was overrated, and that it tries to hard. Im loving number 2 though. Everything about it is just better so far.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Never played the first but the first impressions are promsing.

Technically it's definitely a lot better than I expected, you can really tell Microsoft stepped in and addd some first party polish and budget into it. On SX there's no really performance issues to speak of in the first hour and the image quality is pretty pristine. It's not the most advanced looking game graphically but I can't really imagine anyone complaining when it looks to fully realise the art style anyway.

Sound design is satisfying with good attention to detail accompanied by some pretty engaging music. Audio is always a question mark for me going into a game but I don't have any issues here. Cutscenes also wowed me with their production values and seamless transition b gameplay sections. Controls also feel nice though there's hard to say without unlocking everything and getting to more elaborate combat/platforming.

From what I've seen so far fans of the original are probably going to be stoked they got a sequel of this production quality after it almost looked like they would never even get one.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Game started on borderless for me, but subtitles looked fine in game, I did fix the resolution and change from borderless to fullscreen.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I got a fun achievement for playing around with mental connections early on haha. I love it when they reward you for thinking "what if?"

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone having issues with the game's localization on elements of the game world in the Game Pass version on PC? When i was reviewing it everything was in PT-BR, now everything is in english, even i put the interface language in PT-BR at the acessibility options.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I'm only 44 minutes in, but yeah, this is Double Fine at their best doing a master class about how to make a fucking video game. I don't want this to end ever.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Pure fun, I have this blown up to 4k on my CX via my PC and it's like a playable Tim Burton movie
If I get another one of these in 6 years I'll take it gladly

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoying it a lot, it's a small thing but maybe a little too many cutscene interruptions for my liking but they're all super well crafted and humorous.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just played the tutorial level, and dang, this game oozes charm. Really happy i went in blind.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Honestly, feels like a game from the early 2000's in the best way and with amazing visuals. We need more games like this

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Really like the game so far, but I'm having stuttering issues. Currently playing on PC with Game Pass. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it soon.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I'm getting some nasty framerate spikes in the PC version. It seems like asset loading. They happen in the middle of the level though and made me miss a few jumps. Really annoying.

Also, the frame rate drops below 60 consistently in several areas so far.

3070, 1440p, everything high, i7 7700, SSD install, 16 gig ram
Im getting some pretty random hard stutters too.