• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PSP store last way longer than I expected. Doubt I'll pick up anything now. Might look into modding my PS3. There are still some trophies I have yet to get on the PS Vita lol.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years).

So no one is entering the hobby anymore? No one is discovering games or series they'd overlooked before? A lot of physical games are expensive and climbing up to hundreds of dollars, many of which have cheap digital versions that were accessible legally on PSN.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but there's a distinction to make between games that are delisted due to legal or technical issues and a platform holder choosing to take entire stores offline. The analogue on PC isn't the dozens upon dozens of games that have been rendered unavailable over the years due to licence expirations or whatever; rather, it would be if Valve were to suddenly say, "In three months, we'll no longer be selling content that released before Windows 8."
That is still a false equivalency.

My point is that Valve has not pulled down swathes of titles like this. The games you are referring to were never on Steam to begin with. There are similarly many PlayStation games that never saw a digital release, but that's not the topic at hand here. As an example: the first game I bought on Steam was Portal back in 2007. I can still go on Steam and buy Portal in 2021. I will no longer be able to buy anything released digitally on a PlayStation prior to 2013 (and not everything after 2013 either, in the case of Vita and some cross-generation PS3 titles). Imagine if Valve had created such a hole in the Steam library. It'd be ridiculous.
But it's again two different things, There are plenty of storefronts that have disappeared and luckily those titles are mostly preserved and playable but there is a huge difference between PC and consoles. Do I agree with them shutting down the vita/psp and ps3 stores? No. Do I understand it? Yes absolutely and I wish they would keep the storefronts up permanently.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
I tend to agree, but like I just posted in another thread, the PS4 era people were the ones that gave up on BC. There's no reason to not have PS1 and PS2 support on PS4, but instead Tretton, Hirai, et. al. passed on everything except for trying to sell us a handful of PS2 games they already sold us on PS3, except more expensive (oh and the apparently sacred trophies).
Yeah this is true. Things did seem a lot more consumer orientended but this what's happening seems rather agressive. I don't like it at all.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I'm so tired too of people making excuses for these huge companies like "oh but preservation of games is not as easy, and well it's not like it doesn't happen to other industries yadda yadda"

I remember when they started charging PS+ to play online, and the excuse was "you gotta cover the costs of the server" etc. But at this point, why the fuck are we paying for services that have barely evolved and a network that gets hacked about once a year. We're talking about a company worth BILLIONS but so far we're thinking like they're some scrappy devs.

There is no excuse for this, unless your only view and value on games is basically through profit, which honestly fuck off

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, that was put on hold because they were working on ensuring that all those plus the Xbone games will work on Series S/X. Now that the console is out, we can only presume that the program will be making a return.

Got a source for this? I remember them announcing they were ending working on any more titles and it sure didn't seem like it was just a break to shift their focus to other things for the time being. I would love to be wrong on this.

Well, time to get radical and start releasing the source code for games then if publishers consider them no longer comercially viable.

Well we all know this is never happening for a variety of reasons from proprietary technology and code, to being able to utilize it down the road, and in many cases for older games the source just no longer exists because developers didn't properly backup and maintain older source code and art assets. Not to mention how many developers no longer exist and that has been lost as well.

Just looking into this from what I can see there's tons of stuff already not available on the 360 marketplace. In the GB region, of the top thirty best selling games of all time, half of them don't seem to be purchasable. Is it different on the console itself or am I missing something? I get it with the licenced games but... Halo?
  • FIFA 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
  • Forza Motorsport 3, 4
  • Forza Horizon
  • Halo 3, Halo Reach
  • Battlefield 4
  • Rock Band 3

Huh? I agree the license games I get, but Halo 3 and Halo Reach not being available is pretty surprising. I wonder what else is missing...

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
But Microsoft stopped adding Xbox 360 and Xbox games to be backward compatible. So if the old store shuts down, and we should all assume it will at some point, all those Xbox 360 games will no longer be accessible. So they're no longer making effort for those platforms.

The stop was temporary; at least one employee publicly confirmed that they'll be resuming that effort sometime this year. Sorry that I don't have a link.

My 64GB Vita memory card died last week, and I'm not willing to jailbreak because I can't gamble with my PSN account like that. Replacing it is going to be costly.

Do what I did. Search on eBay for SD2VITA, grab a 128GB microSD card, then once you have both, go here: https://vita.hacks.guide
Don't be afraid. You'll be done in an hour, and everything will work just as it was, except that you won't be relying on an overly-expensive and notoriously unreliable storage device anymore. And there are no reports of anyone being banned for doing this. Just don't pirate games, and don't try to cheat Trophies.

My Vita has been hacked for literally years now. I don't do anything different on it from before; I buy and play single-player games. And everything just works. I use a name-brand, reliable microSD card, so I don't feel like my Vita is a ticking time bomb. The 64GB official cards, on the other hand, are known for eventually failing, and are not worth it. Once you do this, you'll be glad you did.

So since the Vita store is going down a month later, does that mean I can hold off on purchasing some things like PS1 classics that are available on both the Vita and PS3?

Here are the Vita (and PSP, and PS1) games that can only be purchased via a PS3: https://tweetvitareview.wordpress.c...hat-you-cant-access-on-the-vita-store-na-psn/

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
My point is that Valve has not pulled down large swaths of titles like this. The games you are referring to were never on Steam to begin with. There are similarly many PlayStation games that never saw a digital release, but that's not the topic at hand here. As an example: the first game I bought on Steam was Portal back in 2007. I can still go on Steam and buy Portal in 2021. I will no longer be able to buy anything released digitally on a PlayStation prior to 2013 (and not everything after 2013 either, in the case of Vita and some cross-generation PS3 titles). Imagine if Valve had created such a hole in the Steam library. It'd be ridiculous.
The Steam comparison doesn't really make any sense, though. There's no Steam 2 and Steam 3 that are architecturally incompatible with Steam 1.
If your PC today wasn't able to natively run Steam 1 games anymore and the numbers of people who still accessed the old Steam store with old, compatible hardware were negligible, then I'd be willing to bet that Valve would close that store at some point as well.
If the PS3 was an evolving platform where upgraded hardware versions are compatible with every game from 15 years ago until today Sony would still sell games to that platform as well.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
My 64GB Vita memory card died last week, and I'm not willing to jailbreak because I can't gamble with my PSN account like that. Replacing it is going to be costly.

Downgrade to 3.65 instead of 3.60 and Sony will never know your Vita is running a CFW unless you hack trophies or do something else stupid.

Or create a new a "dummy" account that can't be linked to you in any way and keep your Vita offline.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I agree the license games I get, but Halo 3 and Halo Reach not being available is pretty surprising. I wonder what else is missing...

Pretty much anything with sportspeople or cars is gone. Even games without real cars like Burnout Paradise. All the games that orient around licenced music seem to be gone. All of the Halo games seem to be gone. Aside from that, just picking from the first five pages... Doesn't look like you can buy Ace Combat, World of Tanks, Medal of Honor, Lost Planet, Army of Two, Lord of the Rings Conquest or Mortal Kombat.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
A lot of Xbox fans championing MS in here, but keep in mind: they are still supporting two distinct and separate stores at present: the Xbox 360 Marketplace and the modern MS Store, which offers XB1, Series, and backwards-compatible OG Xbox and 360 digital content all under one umbrella. At some point, I expect that the 360 Marketplace will close down, and that purchases on 360 consoles will be discontinued. All backwards-compatible content for sale will be unaffected, but for sure, a lot of stuff will disappear. So there's that. I mean, I *could* turn out to be wrong, but are they really going to support the old storefront forever...?
Anything can happen, but going by the track record of Microsoft it probably won't happen anytime soon or ever. We'll find out eventually, but in the meantime I got two questions for you...
  • Why does it matter what Microsoft does? It's shitty when Sony does it, it's shitty when Nintendo does and it would be shitty if Microsoft does it.
  • Why are you looking at speculative scenarios to defend this?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I installed my launch PS4 500 gig internal HD in my PS3 when the PS4 launched. I'm gonna check the store to see if there's anything I missed out on.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Is keeping these games up as simple as having a server with the games on an HDD? I don't know about the PS3 library, but I feel like you could store all the Vita and PSP games on a couple of TBs, are they really saving that much by taking those servers down?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea is that they shouldn't be and their differences aren't due to limitations of hardware or software.
Yes I fully agree but they were and that is why issues like this still exists. Ideally going forward this problem won't exist and things like this won't happen in the way it seems to be especially when it seems like consoles manuafactors are keeping similar architecture from generation to generation.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Is keeping these games up as simple as having a server with the games on an HDD? I don't know about the PS3 library, but I feel like you could store all the Vita and PSP games on a couple of TBs, are they really saving that much by taking those servers down?

Yes, those servers have to be maintained and have operating costs. It's not as simple as throw some content on a HDD and call it a day.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Just looking into this from what I can see there's tons of stuff already not available on the 360 marketplace. In the GB region, of the top thirty best selling games of all time, half of them don't seem to be purchasable. Is it different on the console itself or am I missing something? I get it with the licenced games but... Halo?
  • FIFA 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
  • Forza Motorsport 3, 4
  • Forza Horizon
  • Halo 3, Halo Reach
  • Battlefield 4
  • Rock Band 3

Most of those have been delisted. Halo 3 and Reach were delisted just last December when 343 announced the end of support at the end of this year. All of the others were delisted due to expired licenses, except possibly for Battlefield 4...I don't see any mention of that being delisted.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I fully agree but they were and that is why issues like this still exists. Ideally going forward this problem won't exist and things like this won't happen in the way it seems to be especially when it seems like consoles manuafactors are keeping similar architecture from generation to generation.
I don't see it as a problem now; if they're still allowing people to download purchased content, then they have the mechanisms in place to continue to allow people to purchase content.

There's no reason why at the very least, they couldn't let people continue to use their phone or computer to access the store to purchase content. Because as it is now, the only people downloading games they didn't own from Sony will be pirates because I doubt the backdoor into their CDN is going to be closed in August. The people that still use these devices shouldn't have to turn into pirates to buy and play games they might've missed.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Most of those have been delisted. Halo 3 and Reach were delisted just last December when 343 announced the end of support at the end of this year. All of the others were delisted due to expired licenses, except possibly for Battlefield 4...I don't see any mention of that being delisted.

Yeah... I'd never really looked before. I'd always assumed it was just the sports stuff but there's so many other cases which are less obvious. Ace Combat, Mortal Kombat, Lost Planet, Burnout Paradise, etc. Goes to show really that you can't assume anything. If you want to be able to play something in future, make sure you've bought it and ideally that you have it installed or on a disc.

Zalera

Mar 26, 2021

My PS3 is mostly in order with everything I want on it, since I went all digital around 2012, but I think I want to put an SSD in it for stability.

This is going to be a chore and expensive tho.

Nothing to worry about. Hack it with SD2Vita and you'll be golden. I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for this stuff.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm so disappointed that this rumour ended up being true.
...and also not that surprised, I'm still bitter about them shutting down the servers to Gravity Rush 2.

My Vita is already modded so I can use SD cards, I'll need to log back in and just redownload literally everything. I have picked up most highlights over the years on sale, but some stuff never appeared on the EU store (like Jeanne d'Arc).
My PS3 is in storage somewhere, I certainly hope I got everything I need on it already, that download list is a pain in the ass to use.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Anything can happen, but going by the track record of Microsoft it probably won't happen anytime soon or ever. We'll find out eventually, but in the meantime I got two questions for you...
  • Why does it matter what Microsoft does? It's shitty when Sony does it, it's shitty when Nintendo does and it would be shitty if Microsoft does it.
  • Why are you looking at speculative scenarios to defend this?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not necessarily defending Sony here. I think this sucks. I'm just saying that MS may also sunset the Xbox 360 Marketplace in the future, and that we need to be mindful of that.

MS' track record is not all roses, by the way. OG Xbox Live is long gone, and all of that DLC is gone too,* aside from what's been brought forward via BC. And all 3000+ Xbox Live Indie Games have been gone since last 2017, though they're still redownloadable. That being said, I don't think Xbox Live for 360 is in any danger whatsoever of being shut down anytime soon.

* it is still available via unscrupulous means, lol

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
PC and console are different and are treated and handled differently.

Well, yes, of course. This thread likely wouldn't exist otherwise. But your response to someone saying this sort of thing hasn't happened on Steam was to liken it to select titles being made unavailable with "it's an issue with every single gaming company" and "this isn't just a Sony issue". Surely you can see how that's a false equivalence, as he wasn't asserting games aren't delisted on Steam but rather making the point that Valve has never imposed an arbitrary technological cut-off.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Glad I bought an sd2vita to cache all my games. Thank goodness most of my PSP and PS3 collection are physical.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
This and for some reason I feel like MS will find a way to just convert or transfer the content into the newest store front
My gut tells me they will. For one thing Microsoft is punching uphill at the moment. They can ill-afford something as bad as shutting off entire libraries of legacy content when they've spent the last 6-7 years rebuilding their brand. It seems whatever they can feasibly bring forward from prior gens, they will. Sony very much operates from a position of being on top. Even now, they're going to get a swell of people putting money into the coffers buying up shit before it goes offline. They'll endure the little PR black eye they're taking at the moment while counting all the cash rolling in. And you can't keep PS5 on the shelf, so this sadly will pass.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
"We believe in generations!"
I don't get why ppl keep quoting this when he was referring to PS5 and not to old gen consoles... he ended lying on that too (see PS5 cross-gen games) but it really has nothing to do with PS3.

Saying that... I was expecting this but not this soon, I wish I bought the stuff I was interested in while they were discounted, I'm a fool :'(

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, I don't mind this decision.

People believe the responsibility falls on Sony for preservation, but honestly, I think it's the developers/publishers responsibility to make their games available on new systems instead relaying on a system's to be built for them every generation.

I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years). I played a ton of cool games in the PS3, Vita and PSP era but a lot I would not go back and play as they haven't aged well.
Hell, I'm still finding new NES games I never knew about. Some through the Nintendo Switch. Just because something is old doesn't mean no one wants to play it. Also I can't afford every game I'm interested in so I can't buy every thing at release.