Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Any PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP racing games affected by this worth checking out? I loved Burnout Paradise and NFS Most Wanted (on the Vita).

Oct 27, 2017
This is so disappointing, especially as someone who is a late adopter (I'm" still discovering new games from the SNES/Genesis era). As a physical game collector, I'm" going to miss out on a ton of DLC content by time I decide play these games.

I really hope RPCS3 can pick up the slack and that the gaming community gets a real appetite for PS Vita emulation (not sure Vita3K is still being worked on).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah, even more with the archaic infrastructure of these consoles (PS3 didn't even support the of IDs name changes, right?). Sony will eventually shut down the servers to be able to make advances on the PSN on PS5, 6 and beyond (I'm still waiting for that gifting system)
They still were able to do name changes on PS4, despite PS3 store still being online. Doesn't this contradict what you are suggesting? PSN would need a hard reset to fix all the stuff going on. I hope we get PSN 2.0 build from scratch eventually, but this doesn't mean they can't keep PS4/5 servers alive.
There's not really a good answer to any of those questions, but I don't think we have a right to expect 'forever', it's just not practical.
Right is a strong word, but with Sony earning billions with PS+, we as consumers deserve better and stores + games really shouldn't be shutdown. I know PS3 was free, but Sony is still the same company and earns billions with PS+ on PS4/5.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They're going to close the front of the store, but they'll probably leave those backdoors wide open just like Nintendo did. They're going to prevent people from buying the games and then people with hacked PS3's will still be able to download stuff from the store.

This is so disappointing, especially as someone who is a late adopter (I'm" still discovering new games from the SNES/Genesis era). As a physical game collector, I'm" going to miss out on a ton of DLC content by time I decide play these games.

I really hope RPCS3 can pick up the slack and that the gaming community gets a real appetite for PS Vita emulation (not sure Vita3K is still being worked on).
Vita3k is still being worked on.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
IMO, I don't mind this decision.

People believe the responsibility falls on Sony for preservation, but honestly, I think it's the developers/publishers responsibility to make their games available on new systems instead relaying on a system's to be built for them every generation.

I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years). I played a ton of cool games in the PS3, Vita and PSP era but a lot I would not go back and play as they haven't aged well.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Every Atlus game that's going to be lost with this, I weep for. Especially these two, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment.

Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg
Persona_2_EP_cover.jpg

All Shin Megami Tensei Games available on ps3, are mostly very expensive physically.

Those are the games to get.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't hear? Less stuff to buy from Sony means a better experience.

Absolute garbage.

Edit: If anybody has a good list of what I should buy before it's gone for good, please post it in this thread, it would be super appreciated.

We have a thread up compiling and discussing all the worthwhile digital games to get on ps3, I invite everyone to keep the conversation going on here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...-all-of-the-must-own-play-ps3-content.302837/

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
They still were able to do name changes on PS4, despite PS3 store still being online. Doesn't this contradict what you are suggesting? PSN would need a hard reset to fix all the stuff going on. I hope we get PSN 2.0 build from scratch eventually, but this doesn't mean they can't keep PS4/5 servers alive.

I think it depends a lot on what they want/will implement. In the in the might one of the reasons why they didn't added gifting yet?

Anyway, it is difficult to know for sure. Sony's software/firmware team can sometimes be just as bad as Nintendo's.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017

People believe the responsibility falls on Sony for preservation, but honestly, I think it's the developers/publishers responsibility to make their games available on new systems instead relaying on a system's to be built for them every generation.

I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years). I played a ton of cool games in the PS3, Vita and PSP era but a lot I would not go back and play as they haven't aged well.

I guess younger generations shouldn't go back and experience any classics eh?

Also, I love that people always say this with games, but literally every other entertainment medium doesn't have this sentiment.

Classic films, books, and TV get consumed all the time.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feels absurd to do this. Can't really put it any other way but feeling like Sony doesn't care much for the legacy of its games.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
081.gif

time to SCRAMBLE

Also everybody that seriously attempted to Cape for Sony for this is automatic goof. No questions asked.

Getting forced to reveal this info from a leak is embarrassing period.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

So how do you feel about... alternative methods to playing said games then?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam has been going strong for, what, 15+ years now? It seems that Sony and Nintendo are the only ones struggling to deliver a continuous shopping experience.
PC is completely different though, it's not excusing what they are doing but there are a ton of pc games that cannot be bought, GOG has done a great job of bringing some back to be bought but it's an issue with every single gaming company.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Thank Goodness we're keeping the downloads, that was my main worry.

Now stop being greedy Sony and have a Store shut down sale until then.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT

Sometimes life just happens, man. I have games in my backlog I bought a decade ago. I finally picked up some of the 3DS games I'd been wanting to buy last week. Oreshika on Vita the month before.

If someone hasn't seen Star Wars should we tell em to not bother because it's old and they had to be there?

Oct 29, 2017
I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me I'm wrong), they were separate but MS did the work to merge them at some point. There is still a seperate 360 store that technically exists but if it was to go offline we wouldn't lose access to be able to buy any of the stuff because they transferred everything over to the current universal Xbox store for sales on Xbox One/Series X/the website etc.

Only the BC content was brought forward into the new Microsoft Store. For non-BC content you have to use the old Xbox 360 Marketplace.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
This is terrible news and a perfect example of Sony's current stance on their legacy content. So many great games killed with no means to purchase, and the sad reality is nothing will fucking change unless they see the slightest hiccup in their fucking earnings. Not even a hint that they are gonna invest into some meagre support in the future or anything. Just blunt, brutal, and cold.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I have a ton of stuff on my Vita already. It's time to add to that, one last time.

A lot of Xbox fans championing MS in here, but keep in mind: they are still supporting two distinct and separate stores at present: the Xbox 360 Marketplace and the modern MS Store, which offers XB1, Series, and backwards-compatible OG Xbox and 360 digital content all under one umbrella. At some point, I expect that the 360 Marketplace will close down, and that purchases on 360 consoles will be discontinued. All backwards-compatible content for sale will be unaffected, but for sure, a lot of stuff will disappear. So there's that. I mean, I *could* turn out to be wrong, but are they really going to support the old storefront forever...?

I do find it very interesting that vouchers will still redeem after the store is closed. When Xbox Live Indie Games shut down, vouchers stopped working as well. I expect that remaining vouchers will go up in value...a lot.

Assume the store app will still work it will just be empty outside of looking at the download and other stuff.

This is exactly how it works on Wii. You open the Wii Shop Channel > everything looks as it always did, and the download list is accessible, but if you try to browse products, there is nothing there. This is how I expect the Vita PS Store to work after the closure. It's user-friendly and requires little effort, so everyone is happy.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

Jim Ryan would approve.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
PC is completely different though, it's not excusing what they are doing but there are a ton of pc games that cannot be bought, GOG has done a great job of bringing some back to be bought but it's an issue with every single gaming company.

DOS games are just DOS games. That's what happened in personal computing.

Sony had every chance not to design a system that ran on unicorns drinking RAM through a straw and they chose to do that anyway, and then not port games to their modern systems in the intervening 10 years.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
giphy.gif

I think I have pretty much all the ps triple games I want but it is sad anyways. Also Vita games I can not play anywhere else?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I will eat a ghost pepper if I am wrong.

For the first time, I simply do not see Sony winning. Sony will have their hardware sales thanks to folks like me owning PS4 and jumping to PS5, however if a hardware selling more is a merit for winning, then meh.

Weaker hardware, more expensive hardware ($30 more expensive here in Canada), more expensive games (Of the top 8 games on PS5's store front, only 2 are first party exclusives and they're all more expensive than other studio's), less exclusives (Of the top 8 games on PS5's store front, 2 are now owned by Microsoft and 1 is coming to Game Pass on day one), non-existent backwards compatibility plan, weaker cloud/subscription service, discrepancy in their QOL features, missing features from previous gen to current, and more.

Prices have gone up, service has gone down. That's a losing strategy.

I will eat two ghost peppers if I am wrong.

It certainly does seem a bit like Sony's in a "We don't give a fuck, you're gonna buy our shit anyway." mood like they were in the Playstation 3 days, though probably not quite as bad.

They'll still come out on top, but I think Microsoft will definitely regain some marketshare in the process.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
That means Sony is forcing people to move to PS4 or PS5.

Also means, Sony is giving a planet of s*** to PS3/PSV/PSP legacy.

"PS4 and PS5 are making us way more money, let's shut down all that crap" lol

a291f46a6fcea30f6c6f49af35079d3f.gif

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DOS games are just DOS games. That's what happened in personal computing.

Sony had every chance not to design a system that ran on unicorns drinking RAM through a straw and they chose to do that, and then not port games to their modern systems in the intervening 10 years.
So you have no point? There are plenty of games that are affected on all platforms. It sucks but this isn't just a sony issue.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

There are some people into gaming who were literally not even alive, or they were young kids/babies, when the PS3 was current

I know the store can't last forever, but it would have been nice to keep it around until you can get those games running on modern platforms

Most toasters these days can emulate PS1, and the PS5 could easily run a PS2 emulator

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Honestly I don't know what's worse. The fact that this is happening at all or the fact that I have absolutely zero faith that the underlying PlayStation Store/Network infrastructure for PS5 is in a good enough state to make forward compatibility smooth on their end (as in, transition all the PS5 content into the PS6 online ecosystem smoothly and so on). Especially seeing the PS4 to PS5 transition with game upgrades/savegame transfers and the like.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
So you have no point? There are plenty of games that are affected on all platforms. It sucks but this isn't just a sony issue.

My point is that GOG (which was your example) was necessitated by a change of computing standards.

Sony designed the PS3 long after the need to have a more developer-friendly solution was evident, and even seeing their folly is choosing to leave the old hardware's games in the past.

Sony gains neither the excuse of old architecture nor the goodwill of trying to preserve it.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021

Also, I love that people always say this with games, but literally every other entertainment medium doesn't have this sentiment.

You should have watched Citizen Kane in the generation it came out. That's on you, buddy.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Neither of these things strike me as wrong in principle, it's really just a question of how long is enough. How long should something be available to buy? For how long should it be possible to re-download something you've bought? For how long should net services be supported and maintained? There's not really a good answer to any of those questions, but I don't think we have a right to expect 'forever', it's just not practical.

The problem though is that many people were naive to think that these servers would only go down if Sony went out of business. They think all these digital stores will be active and their purchases available forever or as long as the company exists. So a lot of people did expect "forever" and are shocked that this is happening. They're going to be in for a shock again when the download servers go down too and I feel this is a moment where people should be learning and understanding that they should not expect those download servers to remain forever either. Right now there's a lot of relief that they are still available but it's a false sense of security and now is probably the time to understand that those are going to go away in the future too.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Well, shit. Now I'll have to budget for this inconvenience.

It is weird how it's always gamers who have such disregard for the legacy of older works and never anyone who consumes any other medium.

Feb 27, 2019
Yeah it's just a weird argument that "no one buys PS3 games, so who cares if they close the store". But if they bothered to bring that content forward, I'm sure people would be buying those games. On the Xbox side, when they started the BC program on Xbox One, 360 games starting slipping into the top 10 weekly sales lists. When older games are on Game Pass, go for super cheap in sales, get enhanced in 4K or higher frame rates... of course people will download them. And when these things see use, there's less incentive to close things down.

Some people seem to be shifting the blame for this onto consumers like its a issue out of Sony's hands, that they shouldn't be expected to keep things open. But that's entirely a problem of Sony's own making.

100% agree. Ever since Microsoft announced backwards compatibility plan, I've been seeing more and more people talk about older games that they want to play, and actually playing them.

Sony is truly arrogant here thinking that we don't play older games because they're old or outdated or bad or that we have no desire to replay them

It's been clear for a while now that if you care about legacy software support, the MS ecosystem is the place to be. I buy everything except for Sony first party titles on Xbox.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The problem though is that many people were naive to think that these servers would only go down if Sony went out of business. They think all these digital stores will be active and their purchases available forever or as long as the company exists. So a lot of people did expect "forever" and are shocked that this is happening. They're going to be in for a shock again when the download servers go down too and I feel this is a moment where people should be learning and understanding that they should not expect those download servers to remain forever either. Right now there's a lot of relief that they are still available but it's a false sense of security and now is probably the time to understand that those are going to go away in the future too.

I don't think it ever crossed my mind that this stuff would be forever. I don't think it's 'forever' on Microsoft's side of things either, but it does feel like that functionality will persist for the forseeable future on their side at least.