dose

Oct 29, 2017
IMO, I don't mind this decision.

People believe the responsibility falls on Sony for preservation, but honestly, I think it's the developers/publishers responsibility to make their games available on new systems instead relaying on a system's to be built for them every generation.

I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years). I played a ton of cool games in the PS3, Vita and PSP era but a lot I would not go back and play as they haven't aged well.
There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's been clear for a while now that if you care about legacy software support, the MS ecosystem is the place to be. I buy everything except for Sony first party titles on Xbox.

Nah, it's not MS either. It's the PC. The problem with all these digital stores when it comes to consoles is they all funnel through one bottleneck and if the end of that bottleneck shuts down, then you lose everything. PC being more open means there's multiple servers, easier to manage your bought content, easier to crack the DRM if a service shuts down which would lock you out of that content, and just in general way more options to handle things. If you care about legacy software, you want to be focusing on the PC side of things.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess younger generations shouldn't go back and experience any classics eh?

Also, I love that people always say this with games, but literally every other entertainment medium doesn't have this sentiment.

Classic films, books, and TV get consumed all the time.

There are lots of films and TONNES of film content that are lost to time because they never got transferred to modern formats.
there are versions of movies and extra content completely stuck on laser disc for instance.

Here is a compiled list someone made that tracks movies that never made the jump to blu-ray

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
A lot of Xbox fans championing MS in here, but keep in mind: they are still supporting two distinct and separate stores at present: the Xbox 360 Marketplace and the modern MS Store, which offers XB1, Series, and backwards-compatible OG Xbox and 360 digital content all under one umbrella. At some point, I expect that the 360 Marketplace will close down, and that purchases on 360 consoles will be discontinued. All backwards-compatible content for sale will be unaffected, but for sure, a lot of stuff will disappear. So there's that. I mean, I *could* turn out to be wrong, but are they really going to support the old storefront forever...?

Presumably the sun will set on the 360 store too but Microsoft has demonstrated an entirely different approach and mindset to legacy content. A big part of their current strategy is building a multigenerational ecosystem. Now only are you still accessing content going back to the OG Xbox, some of those titles are enhanced. A title like Panzeer Dragoon Orta is playable in 4k, a 2002 game that was on the market before the PSP, PS3 and Vita.

Right now as a consumer, I feel more comfortable buying digital games within the Xbox ecosystem then I do Sony.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I guess younger generations shouldn't go back and experience any classics eh?

Also, I love that people always say this with games, but literally every other entertainment medium doesn't have this sentiment.

Classic films, books, and TV get consumed all the time.
Maybe things would be different if more people treated videogames like the artistic medium they are. After all, this is essentially a megacorp throwing out decades of art just to boost their quarterlies or whatever.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
The problem though is that many people were naive to think that these servers would only go down if Sony went out of business. They think all these digital stores will be active and their purchases available forever or as long as the company exists. So a lot of people did expect "forever" and are shocked that this is happening. They're going to be in for a shock again when the download servers go down too and I feel this is a moment where people should be learning and understanding that they should not expect those download servers to remain forever either. Right now there's a lot of relief that they are still available but it's a false sense of security and now is probably the time to understand that those are going to go away in the future too.
Sony could have had the chance to unify the stores like Microsoft to mitigate this, but this, alongside not bothering with BC on systems older than PS4 just goes to show Sony is acting more than a little hostile regarding their past content.

Oct 27, 2017
There are lots of films and TONNES of film content that are lost to time because they never got transferred to modern formats.
there are versions of movies and extra content completely stuck on laser disc for instance.

Here is a compiled list someone made that tracks movies that never made the jump to blu-ray

Not only laser disc, but there are movies that haven't seen a release on any other format than VHS, and have basically been impossible to obtain legally for 30+ years. I even bought one of those movies late last year, so I'll have to get it transferred to DVD, and that was a movie from 2001.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it ever crossed my mind that this stuff would be forever. I don't think it's 'forever' on Microsoft's side of things either. Just longer.

It's never crossed my mind either but for a lot of people that is what they think and believe. I've had this debate many times when it comes to physical vs digital and a very common argument that is put forth when I mention that servers will be shut down one day preventing you access from that paid content is that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo aren't in danger of going out of business so they feel safe with their paid content. So people really do think it's forever as long as the company exists. This is why this is surprising a lot of people and why I think it's bad that people are thinking things are okay because they can still download their paid content because they still believe that it's in perpetuity.

Sony could have had the chance to unify the stores like Microsoft to mitigate this, but this, alongside not bothering with BC on systems older than PS4 just goes to show Sony is acting more than a little hostile regarding their past content.

Microsoft didn't completely unify their stores. There's Xbox 360 games that can only be bought with an Xbox 360 or from the older Xbox 360 store. Only backward compatible titles are allowed to be purchased from their new store.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
So what's Sony's decision to close down the web store?

To me they just don't want people to play on the Ps3

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
LMAO >98% of the people upset haven't bought a single PS3/PSP games those last 7+ years.
It sucks, but PS3/PSV/PSP online was a mess.

Remember how many years we had to wait for changing our game tags.

You can't keep those stores online forever. We can still download and play our games, that's the most important. And a lot better than keeping the stores up (that nobody uses) would be BC.
They were still putting titles on sale for those systems at least until like 2018 maybe even 2019. I bought a bunch of classic stuff for a few bucks a pop every few weeks

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Michael Keaton's Multiplicity only got added in 2019. The Addam's Family movies only got put on Blu-Ray last year. It's insane how many aren't on the latest formats, a decade later.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
It sucks that the old PSN web store is shut down, since that one is SUCH a better interface than the current, absurdly shitty one Sony crapped out. Not being able to buy PS3 games is otherwise not a concern for me at all on a personal level, but why even shut it down? It seriously can't be very resource-intensive to keep it up, especially considering they're retaining downloads of already-purchased items (which is of course a must in any case).

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

And yet that Industry still does a significantly better job at keeping their shit accessible.

Video games are in a position where keeping their shit accessible is easier than ever. But it isn't going to happen cause one company that is totally hurting for cash And also not totally collecting money every month to power their internet services said "oh no it's too expensive" whithout any other means of allowing access to that content.

You can't even say PS NOW is sufficient because it doesn't have access to the whole store. Just bits and pieces that is switched out.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
IMO, I don't mind this decision.

People believe the responsibility falls on Sony for preservation, but honestly, I think it's the developers/publishers responsibility to make their games available on new systems instead relaying on a system's to be built for them every generation.

I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years). I played a ton of cool games in the PS3, Vita and PSP era but a lot I would not go back and play as they haven't aged well.

This is certainly a take. Guess all of us should be around 50+ in age to play all the generations of games.

To me, this is taking away something that is available (ie removing existing services and offerings). Not just a few games, but entire catalogs.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of that, but at least MS is making some effort in this.

But Microsoft stopped adding Xbox 360 and Xbox games to be backward compatible. So if the old store shuts down, and we should all assume it will at some point, all those Xbox 360 games will no longer be accessible. So they're no longer making effort for those platforms.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017

That doesn't dispute the point I was making against the post.

Of course there's lost content in all mediums of entertainment, but the idea of having to have played these games when they released, or that them not "aging well" is reason enough for them to be lost forever is absurd.

Should people not experience movies like Star Wars because of how it has aged over the last 40 years?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point is that GOG (which was your example) was necessitated by a change of computing standards.

Sony designed the PS3 long after the need to have a more developer-friendly solution was evident, and even seeing their folly is choosing to leave the old hardware's games in the past.

Sony gains neither the excuse of old architecture nor the goodwill of trying to preserve it.
lol ok. That's a poor excuse and you know it. Sony changing and making sure the architecture is a clear example of them changing for the good. This happening isn't a good thing and they deserve to be called out for lack of backwards compatibility but pretending that it was a malicious example of them doing it is laughable at best. it's like the post claiming that sony is done.

Should people not experience movies like Star Wars because of how it has aged over the last 40 years?
People should be able to experience any game and any movie ever released and ideally be able to buy it all. Stuff like this just sucks in general and that's why I wish companies would be better at this.

Nov 2, 2019
Oh COURSE there's a defense force for this here. SMFH.

Terrible decision. When I can take my Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete PlayStation 1 discs, rip them to my laptop, throw the image on a flash drive and play it on a FUCKING XBOX SERIES S using Retroarch, there's absolute ZERO reason Sony cannot get AT LEAST those PS1 classics to run on a PS5. Fuck, some PS2 games run great on a Series S. That's just dumb that it's easier to play my old games on a competitor's console.

The only reason is they simply don't give a fuck and have the attitude where they think "we'll sell out of every PS5 we make for a long time so go fuck yourselfs."

I get it PS3 cell emulation is hard. It takes time and money. But you have people making a running PS3 emulator RIGHT NOW in their homes with zero official documentation or code, they just can't be assed to do it. Especially with Jim "why would I want to play those old games" Ryan at the helm.

Dumb all around and dumb are those defending this is any way. "Well you had your chance to play them 10 years ago!" Fuck outta here with that.

Rant over.

Oct 27, 2017

This isn't an argument at all. Maintaining compatibility with even a fraction of the content is better than just disregarding it all in favour of selling you the same version again with (in some cases) graphical upgrades when it's the only way of accessing that content with no alternative accessible way available.

People aren't arguing for preservation in an academic sense of these existing in a time capsule where nobody can play it but the software is preserved, this is absolutely about ease of access. Yes, some games will become lost as happens in other mediums, but this is a very definitive view that there's no care of even attempting to preserve two decades of, in many cases, classic and notable games.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Expect the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection to go up in price.

Maybe I can sell it to buy a new GPU

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
And yet that Industry still does a significantly better job at keeping their shit accessible.

Video games are in a position where keeping their shit accessible is easier than ever. But it isn't going to happen cause one company that is totally hurting for cash And also not totally collecting money every month to power their internet services said "oh no it's too expensive" whithout any other means of allowing access to that content.

You can't even say PS NOW is sufficient because it doesn't have access to the whole store. Just bits and pieces that is switched out.

Let's be realistic here. The film and TV industry has a much easier job at keeping their shit accessible. Video content isn't dependent on some specific piece of hardware in order to view. It's much easier to put it on some video encoded format and find a way to distribute than a game is. I bet you if the costs and efforts were higher to do so, you would see a lot less legacy and smaller titles being released because it wouldn't be worth the effort.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These games are all on print so for preservation purposes they're all there.

I wish I was that naive to believe you

Nor that it matters cause Sony already killed a store that had digital only content.

Litteraly the only way to play those games are to grab a pegleg, your best eyepatch and your nicest boat.

This should never be acceptable.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sucks for all those digital only titles. I need to make sure I have all the DLC for my PS3 exclusives like Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
My 64GB Vita memory card died last week, and I'm not willing to jailbreak because I can't gamble with my PSN account like that. Replacing it is going to be costly.

My PS3 is mostly in order with everything I want on it, since I went all digital around 2012, but I think I want to put an SSD in it for stability.

This is going to be a chore and expensive tho.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
But Microsoft stopped adding Xbox 360 and Xbox games to be backward compatible. So if the old store shuts down, and we should all assume it will at some point, all those Xbox 360 games will no longer be accessible. So they're no longer making effort for those platforms.
If I recall, that was put on hold because they were working on ensuring that all those plus the Xbone games will work on Series S/X. Now that the console is out, we can only presume that the program will be making a return.

Let's be realistic here. The film and TV industry has a much easier job at keeping their shit accessible. Video content isn't dependent on some specific piece of hardware in order to view. It's much easier to put it on some video encoded format and find a way to distribute than a game is. I bet you if the costs and efforts were higher to do so, you would see a lot less legacy and smaller titles being released because it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Well, time to get radical and start releasing the source code for games then if publishers consider them no longer comercially viable.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
So since the Vita store is going down a month later, does that mean I can hold off on purchasing some things like PS1 classics that are available on both the Vita and PS3?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Just looking into this from what I can see there's tons of stuff already not available on the 360 marketplace. In the GB region, of the top thirty best selling games of all time, half of them don't seem to be purchasable. Is it different on the console itself or am I missing something? I get it with the licenced games but... Halo?
  • FIFA 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
  • Forza Motorsport 3, 4
  • Forza Horizon
  • Halo 3, Halo Reach
  • Battlefield 4
  • Rock Band 3

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years). I played a ton of cool games in the PS3, Vita and PSP era
Good for you, but I missed a ton of games and would like to have a chance to play them.

Not only that but I'd like to have a digital copy of my current library in case my drive ever gives up one day.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So you have no point? There are plenty of games that are affected on all platforms. It sucks but this isn't just a sony issue.

Sure, but there's a distinction to make between games that are delisted due to legal or technical issues and a platform holder choosing to take entire stores offline. The analogue on PC isn't the dozens upon dozens of games that have been rendered unavailable over the years due to licence expirations or whatever; rather, it would be if Valve were to suddenly say, "In three months, we'll no longer be selling content that released before Windows 8."

Oct 29, 2017
Presumably the sun will set on the 360 store too but Microsoft has demonstrated an entirely different approach and mindset to legacy content. A big part of their current strategy is building a multigenerational ecosystem. Now only are you still accessing content going back to the OG Xbox, some of those titles are enhanced. A title like Panzeer Dragoon Orta is playable in 4k, a 2002 game that was on the market before the PSP, PS3 and Vita.

Right now as a consumer, I feel more comfortable buying digital games within the Xbox ecosystem then I do Sony.

This and for some reason I feel like MS will find a way to just convert or transfer the content into the newest store front

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
These games are all on print so for preservation purposes they're all there.
007 Legends had DLC for the upcoming Skyfall movie. It was released for free when the game came out, to coincide with the movie. It was the final level of the game chronologically. Activison lost the license. That DLC is gone. There is literally no way to play the last level of the game on PS3. THANKFULLY the Wii U version contains it. But don't give me that nonsense that just because the GAME is available means it's all preserved.

Motorstorm requires a patch to access the DLC and other features like the time trial. Except, it was a launch title, and the patch system is in-game and NOT on Sony servers. Those servers are gone. So even if you DID buy the DLC, you can't download the patch anymore, so the access to that DLC is lost forever.

Same thing for Eye of Judgment and the Set 2 and Set 3 DLC for the game. Those are tied to defunct servers and paid DLC.

Other exclusive titles, like High Velocity Bowling or Pain, are a mess without their online servers, too.

While Hot Shots Gold World Invitational was sold digitally and physically on the Vita, the physical version was never released in the states. Digital only. Sure, I could import it from other countries, but unlike the Xbox, PS3 DLC is often region-locked to unique SKUs. So many of the courses and characters there are also going to be lost to time. Now do I need to maintain not only international accounts for games, but also WALLETS for them, too?

And don't get me started on Guitar Hero, Rock Band, or any of the other music games.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
PC is completely different though, it's not excusing what they are doing but there are a ton of pc games that cannot be bought, GOG has done a great job of bringing some back to be bought but it's an issue with every single gaming company.

My point is that Valve has not pulled down swathes of titles like this. The games you are referring to were never on Steam to begin with. There are similarly many PlayStation games that never saw a digital release, but that's not the topic at hand here. As an example: the first game I bought on Steam was Portal back in 2007. I can still go on Steam and buy Portal in 2021. I will no longer be able to buy anything released digitally on a PlayStation prior to 2013 (and not everything after 2013 either, in the case of Vita and some cross-generation PS3 titles). Imagine if Valve had created such a hole in the Steam library. It'd be ridiculous.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Video games are in a position where keeping their shit accessible is easier than ever.
This doesn't really apply to the topic at hand but this sentence reminded me of instances where video game companies admitted that they didn't even have access to the code of their own older games anymore and had to reverse engineer and redo a ton of code for remasters.
You'd think companies would do a better job of preserving the hard work of hundreds of people over the course of multiple years which cost them millions of dollars... and then they just lose that code forever.
Mind boggling.