nando3d

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
Sony hates money.

Steam, GOG, Microsoft gains much money with old games. Microsoft yet improve these games. GOG has modified old games to run in new Windows. If you think about, Nintendo brings these games and charges a high price for it.
Sony, in addition to killing a future sale, still not bring this old content for the new consoles.
If they will spend money to keep storage for these games for download, why not keep the store?

05bf6dc614bc4c1277588fec290aa0f3.jpg

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else seen some weird discrepancies in their download lists? So I turned on my Vita to look at some stuff (and as expected, al of the PSN+ stuff got bumped to the top of the list, since I recent re-subbed), but it looks like it hasn't even kept track of my downloads in almost 2 years? Up until 2019, it looks like it was also tracking the PS4 DLC I purchased, and then stopped. Maybe because I haven't used the Vita since, but a weird reason for why the list wouldn't sync up with everything, unless they shut that down too? Noticed a DLC for PS4 that it says I own in the Vita download list, but going to the current webpage and it says "purchase" still. Anyone see anything weird like that before? I'll need to check my PS3 download list just in case it was someone accidently purchased for the PS3 version, but I doubt it :/

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to directly download games of the PSN on a modded Vita?

I really don't want to risk any of my accounts.
Current CFW has a firmware spoofer that allows you to masquerade as a basic ass psv.

I've purchased games from the store CC and all legit like this over the past few years.

While its true nothing is safe as far as modded OS goes you should be fine. It's my ass on the line too, not just yours lol

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it is time to pick up a bunch of PS1 RPGs I have been sleeping on (Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, etc).

Also need to make sure all my Vita games are properly backed up to PC (most are)

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The craziness of people in here acting like they have a bird's eye view of Sony's finances to justify 'cutting the cost' of maintaining these legacy stores. These stores were running during a time where Sony was not even charging an online subscription fee, but now 2 gens into that extra revenue they can't do it anymore? I like many of you was waiting frustrated but patient to grab a PS5, but not any more. I'm done with them

15% is a small number when it's just a number. The PS4 sold at least 100 million units. So by your own words, 15 million people want backwards compatibility.

15% including the resetera bump that comes with this being a gaming enthusiast site. That number is very clearly the upper bound of players that want to play. It's a small number to Sony, else they would move forward on it. You think Jim Ryan and others haven't discussed this, run the numbers? You think someone at Sony is going to pop into resetera and be like Jim these people really want backwards compatibility and he'll be like, really? I had no idea. Fact is, the vast majority of people are not going to buy a console because they want to play a game made 10 years ago. You'll notice they have made particular effort to focus on the games in the last generation. 99% of games or whatever from PS4 will be playable on PS5. That's because once you go back to PS3/PS2 generations, you'll find the players that played those games are lapsed gamers who have kids and marriages and jobs and don't have the time anyway. Is my 11-year-old going to want to go back and play the original FFVIII on his iPad? I've tried. He doesn't care. That is where Sony has chosen to place their focus. And folks, look, if you didn't have the games to begin with, are they really that important to you? If you haven't gotten around to buying them, even without a working PS3 system in place, were you really going to find time to play them?

That said, I even found the article I linked to be hilarious in a way. It made terrible arguments for backwards compatibility even when it tried to defend the need for it. Home repairs force consoles out of warranty? What console is still under warranty 15 years after its release?? Or even 5 years? You were going to be home repairing it one way or the other.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
When was the last time PS3 games were on sale at all I know it's been a few years? Can pubs even discount ps3 games right now if they wanted too?

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
IMO, I don't mind this decision.

People believe the responsibility falls on Sony for preservation, but honestly, I think it's the developers/publishers responsibility to make their games available on new systems instead relaying on a system's to be built for them every generation.

I don't mean to sound mean but if you wanted to play those games, you should have played them in the generation they came out in (PSP is 16+ years old, PS3 is 15+ years old and Vita is 10+ years). I played a ton of cool games in the PS3, Vita and PSP era but a lot I would not go back and play as they haven't aged well.

We're not even talking about being able to play the games on current hardware in this thread. We're talking about the "privilege" of being able to give these companies money in exchange for being able to play games on devices they still can be downloaded and run on.

lmao

nando3d

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
Oh boy, if you think this will end with just the store being shut down... It's like you're almost seeing the bigger picture here...

If they don't allow people download the games they purchase, i think Sony will be sued, unless they have a terrible condition in EULA, like that where you not buy a copy but a license of use. I don't know they will buy this fight.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
images

Sucks it's going away, glad I can still download my stuff.

That being said, now is the time to look at games I can't get anywhere else but a PS3.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
When was the last time PS3 games were on sale at all I know it's been a few years? Can pubs even discount ps3 games right now if they wanted too?
Sony basically turned off the discount "switch" for PSP, PS1, PSVITA and PS3 ever since they stopped adding those games in PS Plus. Pubs can't even do anything about it even if they want to.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they don't allow people download the games they purchase, i think Sony will be sued, unless they have a terrible condition in EULA, like that where you not buy a copy but a license of use. I don't know they will buy this fight.

All hail the all digital future my guy

This is in everyone's EULA lmao

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Sony hates money.

Steam, GOG, Microsoft gains much money with old games. Microsoft yet improve these games. GOG has modified old games to run in new Windows. If you think about, Nintendo brings these games and charges a high price for it.
Sony, in addition to killing a future sale, still not bring this old content for the new consoles.
If they will spend money to keep storage for these games for download, why not keep the store?

Because it's a short-term decision taken by the boss in charge that genuinely thinks nobody is interested by those old games. If he is still here in 10 years he will also close the PS4 store.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Well that put the nail in the coffin for any PS3 backward compatibility effort by Sony...ever.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Well, as long as I can access what I paid for for now, it's OK I guess. Was bound to happen.

Geez, I got a backlog of PS1 and PS2 RPGs to play through lol

Still makes me want to avoid the PS for third party games now though, but wouldnt be shocked if MS eventually does the same at some point anyway, so.

j_z

Feb 14, 2019
If someone used their PS3 to log into my PSN, would this be allowed? I only have a Vita and I looking for someone to buy some games for me.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a short-term decision taken by the boss in charge that genuinely thinks nobody is interested by those old games. If he still here in 10 years he will also close the PS4 store.

sony's pushed their brand into being bleeding edge tech and games. they have not been able to sell legacy like nintendo and to a lesser extent microsoft has. at this point, it's becoming more of a self-fulfilling prophecy however.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
And it still is not the point and comparing Steam doing something to Sony or Microsoft is a false equivilency because they are completely different platforms.

I think there's been a misunderstanding here. I'm simply saying that Sony shutting down legacy stores and games being delisted on Steam for one reason or another are two very different things, as your counter-argument to "This sort of thing doesn't happen on Steam" was that no digital platform is immune to game removals.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Current CFW has a firmware spoofer that allows you to masquerade as a basic ass psv.

I've purchased games from the store CC and all legit like this over the past few years.

While its true nothing is safe as far as modded OS goes you should be fine. It's my ass on the line too, not just yours lol
Thanks, now I just need to find out if someone managed to work around the stores limitations and I'm missing my vita.

it was long overdue.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
This still sucks donkey dick, but being able to download stuff from my list even after they pull the plug softens the blow a little. I assumed otherwise.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't the first time Sony has shut down a service that prevented you from downloading your paid content. This isn't the first console manufacturer to do it either. There's precedence for this action and nobody sued over it. Also, even though they might not be legally binding, the EULA does state explicitly about this:

8.16. Access to Purchased Items. Upon our confirmation of your transaction, and subject to the applicable Usage Terms, you may access the PSN Content you ordered through the Account that you used to complete the order. You bear all risk of loss for accessing the content, and for any loss of content you have downloaded, including any loss due to a file corruption or hard drive crash. You are solely responsible if you do not choose to download or access the content before it is removed or your license expires, and for the authorized ongoing storage and safekeeping of the content. We are not obligated to provide you with replacement copies for any reason.

You can pretty much bet that the download servers will not be accessible in perpetuity and you should assume at some point in the future that they will go down.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe Sony is just allowing games and their platforms to die without the slightest attempt at some preservation, certain games will now be lost forever. It Fucking sucks man....Sony at the very least should be adding their entire PS1/PSP/PS3/PSV library to PS Now.

I guess my digital collection of PSN/PSP/PS1/PSV/ is safe for now but I'm sure those download servers won't be up for long either.....where the fuck is our money going towards?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Because it's a short-term decision taken by the boss in charge that genuinely thinks nobody is interested by those old games. If he is still here in 10 years he will also close the PS4 store.

Wait, do people really think that this is Jim Ryan decision rather one based on actual numbers? "Let's close PS3 Store because I'm bad and don't like old games?"

Anyway, the Vita Store was supposed to be closed back in 2017 (before Jim Ryan get promoted) according to a dev.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
What did anyone think was going to happen? This is what digital means and why I've always greatly preferred physical media for games.

nando3d

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
This isn't the first time Sony has shut down a service that prevented you from downloading your paid content. This isn't the first console manufacturer to do it either. There's precedence for this action and nobody sued over it. Also, even though they might not be legally binding, the EULA does state explicitly about this:

You can pretty much bet that the download servers will not be accessible in perpetuity and you should assume at some point in the future that they will go down.

Sad. This is why i pay respect for people who develops emulators and maintain it.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't imagine even wanting to play anything on PS3 or PSP anymore.
But Vita store being taken down is a real shame.

I'm personally not interested in playing anything that isn't on my PS5, so from that prespective, I understand focusing solely on forward compatibility.

I hope this actually opens up the path towards actually porting more old games to the PS4/5 architecture so that they can run natively on the playstation platform going forward.

Last edited:

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Imagine caring about this industry and suggesting that people should "get over it" because "old games don't age well".

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What did anyone think was going to happen? This is what digital means and why I've always greatly preferred physical media for games.

Yep, it amazes me how many people are blindsided by this when people have been saying this for years about the pitfalls of digital. Now people are feeling comfortable that they can still download their content without realizing that is going to go away at some point too.

nando3d

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
Wait, do people really think that this is Jim Ryan decision rather one based on actual numbers? "Let's close PS3 Store because I'm bad and don't like old games?"

Anyway, the Vita Store was supposed to be closed back in 2017 (before Jim Ryan get promoted) according to a dev.

"Why would anybody play this?" says Sony's Jim Ryan about backwards compatibility

Backwards compatibility support on PlayStation 4 is a feature many want, but only a few will actually use, according to Sony's Jim Ryan.

Since the start of this generation, Sony always shared an attitude against bringing backwards compatibility, repeatedly shutting down requests from fans to bring it in some form to PS4, whether it be for PS3 games or any of the classic titles on PS2, and PS1.

Microsoft surprised everyone when it announced Xbox 360 backwards compatibility support for Xbox One, and since then, many Xbox 360 games were spotted topping the most-played charts on Xbox Live, not to mention seeing a sales boost such as in the case of Black Ops, and Black Ops 2.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Sony has changed its take on backwards compatibility much. Sony's head of global sales and marketing, Jim Ryan, told Time that he doesn't see why anyone would play old games given the advancements in fidelity achieved today.

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Ryan's comments are very surprising, particularly when you consider that Sony is selling those very same old games on PS4 after slightly prettying them up and adding in Trophies. It's a bizarre dichotomy that sadly boils down to the company simply not seeing a decent return on investment if it were to add it.

www.vg247.com

"Why would anybody play this?" says Sony's Jim Ryan about backwards compatibility

Backwards compatibility support on PlayStation 4 is a feature many want, but only a few will actually use, according to…

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So how does one make up a Japanese PSN account? Is there a step by step guide to doing so? Those PSClassics look mighty tempting.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sony hates money.

It's not like Sony doesn't have their own data to decide if they are losing money or not...
Also lol at the Nintendo point.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

Backwards compatibility support on PlayStation 4 is a feature many want, but only a few will actually use, according to Sony's Jim Ryan.

Since the start of this generation, Sony always shared an attitude against bringing backwards compatibility, repeatedly shutting down requests from fans to bring it in some form to PS4, whether it be for PS3 games or any of the classic titles on PS2, and PS1.

Microsoft surprised everyone when it announced Xbox 360 backwards compatibility support for Xbox One, and since then, many Xbox 360 games were spotted topping the most-played charts on Xbox Live, not to mention seeing a sales boost such as in the case of Black Ops, and Black Ops 2.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Sony has changed its take on backwards compatibility much. Sony's head of global sales and marketing, Jim Ryan, told Time that he doesn't see why anyone would play old games given the advancements in fidelity achieved today.

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Ryan's comments are very surprising, particularly when you consider that Sony is selling those very same old games on PS4 after slightly prettying them up and adding in Trophies. It's a bizarre dichotomy that sadly boils down to the company simply not seeing a decent return on investment if it were to add it.

www.vg247.com

Backwards compatibility support on PlayStation 4 is a feature many want, but only a few will actually use, according to…

Spoken as someone that doesnt care about games.
The Ps5 sales are riding for the longest on a ps3 remake from 2009.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY

I like physical media too, but please keep in mind that digital-only distribution has helped considerably to popularize indie game publishing, by lowering the monetary barrier to entry. We don't have much choice in the matter.