• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
You would think during shutdown of places like restaurants that landlords would waive rent fees of the space and whatnot. It's not like anyone else would want their space. I don't think it will kill restaurants, staffing will be a problem like it always is, but you'd imagine we would find a way to insure they don't permanently close for financial reasons.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
This bagel shop I usually go to doesn't take cards because they obviously do tax avoidance. A place full of tourists every day, that handles hand-made food, that takes only cash. Dumbasses.

I went to the local produce shops to get stuff for the week and I couldn't believe how many elderly people I saw wearing masks, but paying with cash. It doesn't help that a lot of those places enforce $10 minimums for credit/debit.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been fascinated by South Korea's success in fighting the virus. It's so obvious that everyone wearing masks in public stops the spread of the virus without any drastic quarantines.

So why are we in the west still being fed lies that we don't need masks? I realize that right now they are in high demand and medical professionals need them first, but I think masks is the only way to stop future outbreaks until we have a vaccine. Why aren't governments doing everything to ramp up mask productions? It's so baffling to me. We can't live in this semi-shut down world. How long is this even sustainable? A month, two before it all collapses? It should be a law to wear a mask in public in all countries. Masks look ugly? Well, no one is stopping manufacturers from making cool looking masks that could be fashion symbols, just like any other piece of clothing (tshirts, caps, etc).

Agreed, I think that's been downplayed too much in the West. Even if only helps a bit for each person to not spread the virus and not get it that adds up pretty quickly.

There's people who have to be out and about to keep the supply chain of food, medicine, essential services going.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Pneumonia is a killer. I can't remember if it's viral or bacterial that is the more deadly, but I remember when I was in high school someone's dad died of pneumonia.
I'm aware but a youngish, healthy dude dieing of pneumonia, when the Ohio Department of Health thinks it's been here for weeks anyway. You can't dismiss the possibility imo

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Thank you. However, it is behind the paywall.
Try going from this twitter page. I could read it from here.

twitter.com

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

“NEW chart on coronavirus: we're now tracking death toll trajectories as well as cases • Deaths in Italy & Spain now growing much faster than they did in China at same stage • More deaths in Italy in last 24h than on any day in Wuhan Live version here: https://t.co/VcSZISFxzF”

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

your "stray thought, nothing more" is in response to, again, a completely unsubstantiated rumor from a random source. if you can't see why that might be irresponsible and annoying I don't know what to tell you!

we know what COVID-19 does. maybe we'll discover something else about what it does, but throwing fuel on the wildfire of random rumors--even if it is just a "stray thought" or whatever--is not helpful. it's right there in the notice above the posting box.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
All K-12, preschool, daycare, and before and after school have been cancelled in Alberta, until further notice. It is possible that this closure may last for the remainder of this school year.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Classy response by Roasti's in Taylorville, IL. about the closure announcement.

37aYOIp.jpg

Expect a lot more anger from people.

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being honest for a second...

is there a way to test to-see if you have "had" the Corona virus 19? Is there an antibodies test you can run? I say it because I think when this is all said and done many of these pneumonia cases in February and January.... etc... could have been covid...

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See that's what I am thinking. I can't think closing schools for more than 3 months is going to work well. High School and Elementary Schools in my opinion just wont last online long. SO much is going to get screwed up. Universities can go online no problem.

But working in IT in a school, I just don't see how our kids are going to benefit for a closure for 3 months. I already am going to dread the next few weeks, cause I feel like teachers and students will try hard to get to an approach that can help the students feel like nothing has changed, but the reality is, this is going to get worse for everybody.

I don't know. I know we have to stop the spread, but as a school you have to think of the kids, and my thoughts are, this second half of their year is going to truly fuck them over.

Which sucks. Everything is changing and crashing hard. The hope is we work hard to lower the intensity of the crash. I hope every country can at least slow everything down.

Still though, I feel for those kids.
I am most likely crazy, but in retrospec I wounder if reverse isolation would be better. while not ideal, schools have the ability to coock large amounts of food, some if not limited shows ect. seems like a option, atleast for people who work in feilds that are 100% needed to be able to separate from their kids for the short term.

too be clear I know its not great, I know there is a chance for emotional harm, and I doubt most parents would take the goverment up on the offer, but I think it might help for those with no other options.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): Conspiracy theories. Fearmongering.
Your post is highly conspiracy theorist without actual evidence.
I'm not claiming anything though. I'm still not following.
your "stray thought, nothing more" is in response to, again, a completely unsubstantiated rumor from a random source. if you can't see why that might be irresponsible and annoying I don't know what to tell you!

we know what COVID-19 does. maybe we'll discover something else about what it does, but throwing fuel on the wildfire of random rumors--even if it is just a "stray thought" or whatever--is not helpful. it's right there in the notice above the posting box.
I am not trying to corroborate the tweet that was posted. Just curious to see if that theory pans out.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All K-12, preschool, daycare, and before and after school have been cancelled in Alberta, until further notice. It is possible that this closure may last for the remainder of this school year.

So since you can't rely on grandparents, where do they expect workers to leave their kids at? What if you're a doctor, a first responder, someone working at the power plant or whatever. Is any government shutting down schools and daycares actually thinking this through?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, I think that's been downplayed too much in the West. Even if only helps a bit for each person to not spread the virus and not get it that adds up pretty quickly.

There's people who have to be out and about to keep the supply chain of food, medicine, essential services going.

Yup, gotta say, I think there is something to that. Even if facial masks don't necessarily stop the virus from being contracted, they probably make it harder to enter the nasal cavity for starters and also on the flip side make it harder for a contagious person to spread it.

Japan by every metric, even if they are under testing should be overwhelmed with sick in their hospitals and that just doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
My parents are excited about a video they found on FB about how we can kill the virus by spraying water on our faces and blow drying up our noses and stuff. Worth a shot? 😂

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Anyone got any AirBnb info? Their contact line is jammed. The app says my reservation qualifies for a full refund but when I go to do that in the app it says "if I've already confirmed with the host" they can cancel my request, and of course the hosts aren't responding. Just want to make sure if I go through with this I don't still get hit with the $1k of full reservation cancel as my trip is tomorrow....

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Federal University where I study closed until further notice here in Brazil. All classes suspended.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Would it be best to be clean shaven during a thing like this?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
of course. you're "just curious" and "interested in the theory" because it sounds smarter
No? I recently went to a funeral for someone who was suffering flu-like symptoms, who died of a cardiovascular event, and I wonder if we'll see reports of such things as this outbreak continues. I'm not claiming anything one way or the other and am not trying to incite any panic. This is a weird thing to argue about.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Please source this. Germany can't hide those deaths because they would leave a hole in the active cases + recovered + deaths statistic.
Unless they are fudging the new case numbers to exclude the number of deaths from the previous day. As every state is independently giving the numbers, they couldn't be hiding this for long.

So please source your statement.

I don't think you understand what i said. I didn't say germany is hiding their deaths. I'm saying that Italy has to count every infected person that died as a coronavirus death for administrative reasons, other countries can estabilish co-morbidity. We'll have a clear picture on the actual impact and rates only well after this is all over.

The alternative is for you to believe that for some reason, the same virus, on the same population, has two different effects depending on which side of the alps it is.

As for the source, it was a vice-minister iirc. I'll try to find the article but it's already pretty old by now, and i've read lord know how much in those days.

EDIT: found it, it was an interview to Franco Ricciardi, a scientist on the board of directors of the WHO, it's in italian, here:

www.scienzainrete.it

Walter Ricciardi: ancora due settimane dure, possibile catastrofe negli USA

Abbiamo raggiunto al telefono Walter Ricciardi, consulente del Ministro della Salute, di fatto la figura più di spicco nella complicatissima gestione dell’emergenza coronavirus in Italia. La prima inevitabile domanda è: era proprio necessaria la chiusura di tutta l’Italia disposta dal decreto di...

Google translated article:

translate.google.com

Walter Ricciardi: ancora due settimane dure, possibile catastrofe negli USA

Abbiamo raggiunto al telefono Walter Ricciardi, consulente del Ministro della Salute, di fatto la figura più di spicco nella complicatissima gestione dell’emergenza coronavirus in Italia. La prima inevitabile domanda è: era proprio necessaria la chiusura di tutta l’Italia disposta dal decreto di...

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Should dentist be avoided or are they so sanitary that its fine?

If it's not essential, you should probably cancel. I have a dental cleaning in April that I'm going to put off. As others have said, even if the dental equipment is sterilized, you're in a waiting room with other people, and you'll be dealing with a receptionist who has been dealing with other people.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of people, especially in the US, are not concerned because numbers play a big role, they see the official numbers and are like, "but the flu kills more people!", "but it's only a few thousand people, we are 300 millions!" People are simple, or stupid, they need something more tangible to be really scared.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think you understand what i said. I didn't say germany is hiding their deaths. I'm saying that Italy has to count every infected person that died as a coronavirus death for administrative reasons, other countries can estabilish co-morbidity. We'll have a clear picture on the actual impact and rates only well after this is all over.

The alternative is for you to believe that for some reason, the same virus, on the same population, has two different effects depending on which side of the alps it is.

As for the source, it was a vice-minister iirc. I'll try to find the article but it's already pretty old by now, and i've read lord know how much in those days.

Again, those deaths can't be hidden because they are a result of active cases + recovered + deaths
has nothing to do with different accounting. Those deaths who are counted differently would make a hole in the statistic. (or Italy would have ghost-deaths that come out of nowhere)

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
In Massachusetts all schools closed til April 7, restaurants and bars are take out only, and gatherings over 25 people are now banned.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's downplayed because in places like the US there is a religious like belief that the free market is the best way to allocate resources at all times.
And when it became obvious that we have a massive failure here, people just downplayed the importance of masks rather than admitting that we need to do things a bit differently.
And you see people eating that bullshit.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
What is the current situation/projection in India like right now? I have to imagine they're going to be hit hard like this.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware but a youngish, healthy dude dieing of pneumonia, when the Ohio Department of Health thinks it's been here for weeks anyway. You can't dismiss the possibility imo
I'm from a small town in Portugal, when i was younger (i'm 43) at least two guys in their 16's died of pneumonia, this is not something out of the ordinary in a small town in a small country, how is it in a state like Ohio? Pneumonia, if you don't get to it on time, will fuck you up in an instant. When i was in ICU i saw at least 2 severe cases of it, it's scary as shit and i was dealing with some scary shit myself.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
From the latest press conference about COVID-19 in Michigan:

"The state has the capacity to test about 115 samples a day, said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, the chief medical executive at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services."

115. Absurd.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm from a small town in Portugal, when i was younger (i'm 43) at least two guys in their 16's died of pneumonia, this is not something out of the ordinary in a small town in a small country, how is it in a state like Ohio? Pneumonia, if you don't get to it on time, will fuck you up in an instant. When i was in ICU i saw at least 2 severe cases of it, it's scary as shit and i was dealing with some scary shit myself.
It is not common at all here for young people to die of pneumonia