• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
unknown.png
lol

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's crazy how we just fast forwarded weeks after Dany was assassinated and shown none of the fallout of it, i a show with huge amounts of political intrigue everything was just hunky-dory, Greyworm and Dany's soldiers didn't lose their shit, everyone just capitulated to the will of a bunch of lords after having conquered Westeros in the name of breaking the wheel.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think KL burns down after the WW invasion, I think it burns before and for different reasons. Which would make Dany's end go differently if at all the same. I also don't think Tyrion ends up where he is either.

I assume the 3rd wtf moment has to do with Dany, but don't know what it is. Her burning KL, she dying or she beying killed by Jon.

Her vision in the house of undying tells me that as soon as she almost touched the throne (implying she will never ge the throne) she turns back and reunites with Drogo and her baby, implying that as soon as she turned her back on the throne, she dies, which is that happened in the episode too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
#1. The show never really framed it as such.
#2. That is stupid.

The show made it so plainly obvious that it was the case when Castle Black had zero members of the Nights Watch and instead was occupied by wildlings. I'm surprised people are not seeing this.

The show doesn't have to use dialogue to make points you know.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't think KL burns down after the WW invasion, I think it burns before and for different reasons. Which would make Dany's end go differently if at all the same. I also don't think Tyrion ends up where he is either.

Could be that Dany is killed by Jon, and then he goes on to beat the WWs with his flaming sword.

It would fit with GRRM's scouring of the shire, where Dany is Sauron and the Others/NK or whatever is Saruman.

Jon gives up the throne to go and save the world. Tyrion and co have to elect a new king.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It's crazy how we just fast forwarded weeks after Dany was assassinated and shown none of the fallout of it, i a show with huge amounts of political intrigue everything was just hunky-dory, Greyworm and Dany's soldiers didn't lose their shit, everyone just capitulated to the will of a bunch of lords after having conquered Westeros in the name of breaking the wheel.
It felt like the exact opposite of something GRRM would do.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dany getting killed should've been an episode ending with the entire next episode covering the reaction.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

The only person that stupid oft quoted Ramsay line even applied to was Dany 😆

Bittersweet my ass. They spent this whole season knocking her down piece by piece, so that they could end it with just her being the loser. Hell they even skipped a few weeks forward so that they wouldn't have to deal with the real possibility of what the Unsullied would do. All her advisors were made stupid while she was alive, and then they made all her allies and loyalists equally stupid after she died. Dragon should have eaten Jon, and no being a Targaryen would not save him from being killed by him. The other dipshit Aegon forced his dragon to eat his sister at the end of the Dance of Dragons.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
gonna ask again, i'm quite sure i read somewhere long ago that we're getting multiple movies?
this isn't the end right?

Oct 29, 2017

The time jump was precisely because there would have been no way to believably depict Tyrion and Jon being allowed to live after Grey Worm found out what happened. So they just skipped over it instead.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could be that Dany is killed by Jon, and then he goes on to beat the WWs with his flaming sword.

It would fit with GRRM's scouring of the shire, where Dany is Sauron and the Others/NK or whatever is Saruman.

Jon gives up the throne to go and save the world. Tyrion and co have to elect a new king.

Im more into Jon making a pact with the WWs instead of destroying them.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Where did the decision to only have 6 episodes (even if longer than usual) come from? Budget restraints? Directors choice? 6 is a cool number because of reasons? This season could have easily used 2-3 more episodes let things sink in and progress at a better rhythm.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This whole saeason. Way to shit the bed...

This sort of burned me on getting too invested in the long form series.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

More pure nonsense from this season...

I haven't had a chance to post since seeing the finale, and I'm sure everything has been covered to death and back, but I just want to say that I'm really glad I read the full spoilers weeks ago after viewing Episode 4. Going in with some expectation that the show would somehow redeem itself in the finale would have left me so disappointed I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep last night.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Arya a queen though? Is she invading a country demanding that everyone bend to her rule? Do people act like she's all good?
These memes where Dany fans pit one character against her to make her look better are ridiculously tiresome.
Post two vague situations: wHY dAnY bAD BuT x GuD?!
And I love the use of "Walder Frey's children" as if Black Walder and his brothers weren't adults.
Literally stating it that way to make it worse(as if butchering them wasn't bad enough).

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Okay so here's a specific example of how poorly executed this show's become right to the end.

Jon being exiled to the North is a happy ending for the boy, but they did literally nothing to communicate that to us. I mean, it's clearly good for Jon: the guy who doesn't want to rule, has always felt a great burden in protecting the world from unspeakable dangers, is never at peace, literally told Tormund two episodes ago "I wish I could hang out with ya'll but my duty is down in King's Landing now" and yet, there's been a heap of confusion about Jon's departure and people feeling like he got the raw end of the stick.

This is supposed to be a moment of relief for Jon. The weight of the world is off his shoulders and he's free to live a simple and wholesome life from here on out, but all the visual language of the sequence suggested otherwise. It looked like "oh here we fucking go again, trapped on this miserable pile again" when it should have been a moment of elation for him. The warmth in his eyes should have returned (I don't think he smiled once besides when he reunited with the direwolf), his shoulders should have lifted, and most importantly: when they go past the wall, don't end on some fucking bland shot of him strolling into the woods. What the hell is that? End with him chilling on top of a serene mountain with Tormund and the gang, looking content or at least relieved.

Even earlier on Tyrion's giving him (what he thinks is) the bad news, but Jon would spring to life and immediately recognise how good of an opportunity this is. "That's the worst they could throw at me?" It's relatively minor, but it's indicative of the way this whole season (and back) have been going about doing things.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Let's also not forget how cheap of a death Jaime and Cersei, the original villain, had
How was it cheap? Jaime didn't deserve redemption (and neither did Theon) he was an attempted child murderer and rapist. They were always toxic together and died together. The newly knighted Brienne writing his fate down on the book was rather sad and presumely then becoming the honorable lord commander he often failed to be.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Why would Jon be south during Dany and Aegon's war for the throne? I'm saying that KL burns down during that fight, and then Dany goes north to help fight the WW.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Dany getting killed should've been an episode ending with the entire next episode covering the reaction.
Seriously, like you mean to tell me Greyworm, who was just as bloodthirsty as Dany would capitulate to the will of a bunch of Lords? That he wouldn't have just killed Tyrion and Jon? That the unsullied wouldn't? How did the ruling council of Lords even come to be in the power vacuum that was left? The unsullied and Dany's soldiers didn't follow any of those people, they had no reason to listen to them. Greyworm had no reason to listen to them, and as the commander of the armies he had all the power.

And, if that's the case, why exile Jon? Clearly Greyworm had no power, they could have told him to fuck off.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
To have her turn into Dragon Hitler and be murdered by a man after everything she's gone through would be a sexist narrative. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

I'm going to be so bold as to say for this to be sexist, it requires malicious intent - a sexist objective. I don't think a character doing what Daenarys did can be considered sexist. If what happened is born from sexist ideas, like "lol, she's on her period", then that's sexist. Not allowing Daenarys to have a arc where she turns mad isn't what we should fight for. We've had tons of strong female characters with both masculine and feminine traits throughout the show. While the setting is based on a 'sexist' setting, like men being the rightful heir, the show does a good job of exploring those ideas.

It's just firing off a shot at sexism where one doesn't belong to say this is a sexist narrative. The implication is that this is what the Targaryans do. The implication is that Daenarys convinced herself that she was right. She was mad in her own way, where you couldn't convince her she wasn't mad. It's a great arc of the justifications people do for the behavior they hate in themselves. That's about being human. Not about being a woman. And as such, I can't see how it is sexist.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, like you mean to tell me Greyworm, who was just as bloodthirsty as Dany would capitulate to the will of a bunch of Lords? That he wouldn't have just killed Tyrion and Jon? That the unsullied wouldn't? How did the ruling council of Lords even come to be in the power vacuum that was left? The unsullied and Dany's soldiers didn't follow any of those people, they had no reason to listen to them.

The Unsullied who faced death in the face and did not flinch, would suddenly give two shits what happens if they execute the man who murdered their queen? It's fucking ridiculous and asinine.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Sexist trolling and consistent history of hostility and antagonising other members. Numerous accumulated infractions.
I'm going to be so bold as to say for this to be sexist, it requires malicious intent - a sexist objective. I don't think a character doing what Daenarys did can be considered sexist. If what happened is born from sexist ideas, like "lol, she's on her period", then that's sexist. Not allowing Daenarys to have a arc where she turns mad isn't what we should fight for. We've had tons of strong female characters with both masculine and feminine traits throughout the show. While the setting is based on a 'sexist' setting, like men being the rightful heir, the show does a good job of exploring those ideas.

It's just firing off a shot at sexism where one doesn't belong to say this is a sexist narrative. The implication is that this is what the Targaryans do. The implication is that Daenarys convinced herself that she was right. She was mad in her own way, where you couldn't convince her she wasn't mad. It's a great arc of the justifications people do for the behavior they hate in themselves. That's about being human. Not about being a woman. And as such, I can't see how it is sexist.

It's sexist because it:
1. involves a woman
2. didn't go exactly the way I wanted.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Seriously, fuck Arya. I hate her character so fucking much.

Everything about her is so one dimensional "Im a badass" bullshit. She gets zero consequences for anything, and walks away from everything completely unscathed.

Do you not recall the first five years of her journey? Let's not mistake what she became with what she was, or her journey toward it.

She had one of the best arch's on the show

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I mentally checked out when Jon didn't get his 1v1 against the NK I think. That was his fight, its what he obsessed about all those seasons, what he fought for, why he tried to unite everyone over.

That was his story. "None of this throne shit matters you idiots." etc then he doesn't even get to do anything.

All my disappointment still stems back to that battle I think, they really should have done the Westeros stuff first, burn the throne to the ground then gone and faced the WW to end the show. And in that BATTLE OF ALL MANKIND all the houses and lands are left so decimated they have no choice but rebuild the world and rebuild how it is governed *roll credits*.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I mentally checked out when Jon didn't get his 1v1 against the NK I think. That was his fight, its what he obsessed about all those seasons, what he fought for, why he tried to unite everyone over.

That was his story. "None of this throne shit matters you idiots." etc then he doesn't even get to do anything.

All my disappointment still stems back to that battle I think, they really should have done the Westeros stuff first, burn the throne to the ground then gone and faced the WW to end the show. And in that BATTLE OF ALL MANKIND all the houses and lands are left so decimated they have no choice but rebuild the world and rebuild how it is governed *roll credits*.

that would not work with the expectations subverted motto

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
from the moment people said Dany was "obviously" going to go mad/crazy i have been directly comparing her to Arya and asking how they would feel about a sudden MaD AsSasSiN

its such BS

I think what alot of people are forgetting when it comes to comparing Dany to Arya is that Arya has been saying she was going to kill the people she has killed for several seasons. She has rarely killed anyone outside of her list. Dany meanwhile has basically killed just anyone and everyone who gets in her way. Thats not the same thing.

Also book readers have the benefit of knowing that Mad Queen Dany was always a distinct possibility. So I feel like that is another thing that Dany has going against her. Alot of people knew it was coming and therefore are more willing to defend the move.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so here's a specific example of how poorly executed this show's become right to the end.

Jon being exiled to the North is a happy ending for the boy, but they did literally nothing to communicate that to us. I mean, it's clearly good for Jon: the guy who doesn't want to rule, has always felt a great burden in protecting the world from unspeakable dangers, is never at peace, literally told Tormund two episodes ago "I wish I could hang out with ya'll but my duty is down in King's Landing now" and yet, there's been a heap of confusion about Jon's departure and people feeling like he got the raw end of the stick.

This is supposed to be a moment of relief for Jon. The weight of the world is off his shoulders and he's free to live a simple and wholesome life from here on out, but all the visual language of the sequence suggested otherwise. It looked like "oh here we fucking go again, trapped on this miserable pile again" when it should have been a moment of elation for him. The warmth in his eyes should have returned (I don't think he smiled once besides when he reunited with the direwolf), his shoulders should have lifted, and most importantly: when they go past the wall, don't end on some fucking bland shot of him strolling into the woods. What the hell is that? End with him chilling on top of a serene mountain with Tormund and the gang, looking content or at least relieved.

Even earlier on Tyrion's giving him (what he thinks is) the bad news, but Jon would spring to life and immediately recognise how good of an opportunity this is. "That's the worst they could throw at me?" It's relatively minor, but it's indicative of the way this whole season (and back) have been going about doing things.
I was surprised how unenthusiastic Jon was to see Tormund. Everyone wanted the dog petting but where was the Tormund hug?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How would your expectations be subverted then?

/s

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

They rehabilitated male characters who were villainess pieces of shit, and they turned female characters who weren't into child murdering psychopaths (Ellaria is a complete 180 to what her character is in the books). There's nothing in this show that would indicate prior to episode 5 that Dany would actually wholesale slaughter civilians after winning a battle. Soldiers, lords, sure. Small folk civilians? No fucking way. As I said earlier, this is the second time in the lore where a Targ Queen is about to ascend, and an Aegon sweeps it from under her. The first time resulted in sexist laws being implemented and the woman was blamed for the whole affair.