Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Immediately upon liberating Astapor she offers them the chance to leave and live peaceful lives. They chose to follow her out of admiration and respect.
Yes I'm sure that is what they wanted us to think. They are killing machines who know nothing else. Of course they are going to follow her, if she truly wanted to free them she would have given them a different task than meat shield.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dany gave him the opportunity for self respect and brought him to the love of his life so that's why he's pissed. How many other Unsullied characters are there throughout the series? 1? The Dothraki look like they are staying in KL based on the final shots I think? They were walking around the harbor peacefully.
I don't see why it matters why we only have one distinguishable Unsullied character. It's reasonable to assume that they are all loyal to her. In the show and books, her followers sometimes seem fanatical. Why assume that the other several thousand are less fanatical? The Dothraki are a 50/50 flip of the coin. Still silly to believe that they would simply coexist peacefully with the people conveniently ignoring their leader's death, when usually Khals would try to slice up a portion of the land for themselves.
She didn't have the manpower to take King's Landing either. Did you notice her dragon? It kind of tips the odds in her favour.
How do you know that? Prior scenes indicated that she had around 50000 manpower available before the 'siege'.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
She will probably die in the books too. It's part of GRRMs ending.
Daenerys getting killed by Jon is 100% the ending planned by GRRM 30 years ago.

Do you guys really thought she was going to take westeros and rule happily ever after or something? Her death is fine and was actually obvious since day 1. This series was never going to end with targaryen rule back as the status quo. What led to her downfall is where the show fucked up.

I don't want Dany to take the throne, nor do I believe she will. I want her to live peacefully in Essos in a house with a red door and plant trees, but I firmly believe that book!Dany will die a hero against the others as redemption after accidentally burning down King's Landing (via lethal combo of Dragonfire + wildfire) and I'm okay with that. But guess what... if GRRM ends her story with her turning into Dragon Hitler and getting put down like a rabid dog by a man.... then he's a clown too lmao

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
i would imagine a civil war in high garden with the nomination of bron, i highly doubt the houses over there would accept him, the most influential houses would be very pissed.

As confident as I am that most character endings will be reflected in the books ending (lol, never coming out), bronn was only made master of coin because he was a fan favorite.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Its not a death sentence. Arya could be the one to go the distance. Its not hard to imagine, but I like the idea of leaving it open ended. Leave it to the imagination of the reader what happens to her and everyone else.

I actually prefer endings like that over the kinds of ending that specifically tell the reader or viewer exactly how the character ended up.

She dies because she has zero sailing experience and the crew decides it's a fruitless effort after many months at sea. She refuses to turn back, they mutiny, she's killed.

Oct 29, 2017
There's like 2000 Unsullied left and a few hundred Dothraki. That ain't remotely close to being able to suppress a continent.

The size of the various armies (and their locations) is completely arbitrary from episode to episode anyway. Severely weakened and depleted by the Night King one day, next day overrunning and occupying King's Landing no problem. Whatever the plot demands at any given moment.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
People accept that this was Dany's destiny, but they really botched her journey into madness. There was so much potential for multiple amazing moments in this series that got shoved into small packages. That shot of her looking like her brother was AMAZING. But we rarely got to see that develop and simmer.

The way the last episode presented it. Her madness was not like the 'Mad King' who literally was insane. She just convinced herself that she is right and anyone who doesnt fight with her, is against her. She loathed the people of Kings Landing for not standing up against Cersai.

I agree it was bad execution. Its just labelling it as 'mad' is not accurate too me.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want Dany to take the throne, nor do I believe she will. I want her to live peacefully in Essos in a house with a red door and plant trees, but I firmly believe that book!Dany will die a hero against the others as redemption after accidentally burning down King's Landing (via lethal combo of Dragonfire + wildfire) and I'm okay with that. But guess what... if GRRM ends her story with her turning into Dragon Hitler and getting put down like a rabid dog by a man.... then he's a clown too lmao
this post is a lot

Jan 10, 2018
The death of Dany really made me profoundly sad. And when she was carried away by her dragon like a rag... man, it just felt so unworthy. I would've liked it so much more if her corpse was handed over to her armies and then they traveled and carried her to her birthplace where a large funeral was held with the people that was with her from the beginning. Her downfall is surely what she will me remembered for in the west, but not in the east.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The way the show ends tells me there would be another war within 20 years

Bronn getting the Reach is the laziest shit ever

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So. we never really get a good perspective of what the people think of all these changes. It doesnt even feel like there are people left. How do people accept Gendry, Brann, etc. ruling over them? They completely made the episode fall apart after Jon kills Dany and they jump ahead to Tyrion giving a speech. It's so frustrating how fast everything goes by.

Im still bitter that Arya kills the night king and then leaves to travel the world. It's like killing TNK was just another business day for her. She never gets any consequences to her character other than "How badass is Arya??" Ive hated her ever since the Waif stabbed her 10 times in the stomach. In LOTR, getting stabbed by a Wraith impacts Frodo forever. In this show, not even the icy magical touch of The Night King does anything lasting. I was hoping it at least left a mark on Arya or SOMETHING that made the Night King feel so fucking insignificant. Arya just brushes off this amazing feat as if its nothing to her.

Im still mad that none of the religious stuff gets explained. Not just Brann/3ER, but also the faceless men. What is that all about other than backstory for Arya being a badass? ...It just feels so convenient that she gets this development of her being a ninja because of magic that is never really properly brought up or mentioned again.

One of the benefits to a slower season is getting perspectives like that of the peasant class. But we see none of that. I just wanted something properly fleshed out.

Jon's lineage being revealed was the last amazing moment I recall in this show. But that doesnt really amount to anything either-- in fact, Dany even seems to have a complete soft spot for Jon and is willing to have him by her side, yet Jon kills her anyway because of her war crimes. Maybe she'd have turned on him eventually, but it doesnt even feel as if Jon's lineage meant much. Id have liked it better if Jon's lineage was found out but he was outcasted/forced to the Free Folk because of how tired people are of Targs.

It'd maybe be better than having him banned to the Nights Watch by a moron Unsullied who seem to willingly accept Jon's regicide somehow, but then they don't actually care much either since they peaced out in the end.

Like I said before, this season actually felt cheaper than any other because they never showed the people anymore. Thankfully they did during in the attack but even then it felt like there weren't that many people.

S8 should have been two regular budget full seasons, and rewritten to reduce the costs relating to the NK and burning of KL.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Daenerys' story arc was based on Lawrence of Arabia apparently. When I heard that this morning it absolutely clicked and makes sense. Some of the imagery is even shared.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I just realized that Bran will be the first and the last Stark to rule the 7 6 kingdoms since with the north now independent they can no longer put forth candidates or vote on one for that matter and since Bran cant have any kids he also cant start a off shoot house to side step that matter.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Time for the spinoff now. Its gonna be set 5000 years before right? Interesting to see that. Will look alot different then what we have now i guess.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
He took his rings off before getting executed, I guess some people thought that was some big plot point?
He was taking of his disguise. It didn't really make sense because the show never implied his 'master of whsipers' was just one of his many costumes like the book did. It was supposed to show he was going out as his true self.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
My thoughts on the episode/finale.

I both loved and hated it. As an episode from start to finish, I thought it was directed, written, and acted really well by all involved. The ending is bittersweet with Dany dying and Jon being banished (again). The music, production, and visuals were top notch yet again. So just from how the episode was, it was great and a step up from the previous few episodes. In particular, the scene with Tyrion and Jon in the prison and the end montage were done really well.

The problem is that it didn't wrap up a lot of the plotlines I wanted them to wrap up or expand upon.

• Jon didn't have hand in killing the NK and doesn't end up on the throne. I get that him becoming king would have been cliche or whatever but I almost feel like they went out of their way this season to not have him be the hero. Why did his true identity matter in the end? To me, his reveal at the end of season 6 (and his coming back from the death) was a signal that finally after all the swerves and misdirections that we are now in the endgame and this is the hero of the story. They want out of their way to show us at the end of season 6 what his true parents mean. That he is the rightful king. That is doubled down on in season 7 when Bran tells Sam. He is the king. He also fits all the prophecies of the promised one who will defeat the evil. Season 8 we have Sam tell Jon that he the king. We have his sisters say he is the king. We have Varys and Tyrion debate it. But in the end at the council, not one person brings up his real identity? His credentials? Not Sam or Davos? And they let Greyworm dictate? They all should have been saying yeah sorry Unsullied, Jon is the king.

• Again I get not being cliche but this story, after all, we viewers endured, needed a payoff. And to me we never get it and as a result, everything that was built up the entire series, Jon's secret origin and the white walkers threat both didn't matter at the end. Jon also fit the throne better for the very same reasons Tyrion lists at the end.

• We still don't get any answers about Bran and what he really is.

• Varys wrote those letters to whom? And again this leads to my first point about Jon's real identity not mattering at all.

• The other issues are all from the fact that they decided to shorten the seasons for no reason and it just ruined a lot of the storytelling that they nailed for 6 seasons IMO. I have to imagine Dany turning mad would have been 100x better had they 7 more episodes of the show to flesh it out. Same for all the other elements I have an issue with.

In the end, I loved the show. Never read the books but this was some of the most entertaining television I have ever seen and the end is bittersweet simply cause it was botched for no apparent real reason. Unlike a lot of the posters here I don't think D&D are just hacks or everything is lazy writing. They did create and run the show. So if we are going to shit on them for the end, they also deserve a lot of credit for bringing this to life and for the majority of the show being a pinnacle of television. I loved season 6 and that was them writing the story themselves for the large part. I thought everything was set up perfectly for seasons 7 and 8 with the team behind the show. Shorter seasons would lead a very tight finish with none of the excesses the show had shown or build upon in the prior seasons. Instead, they tried to have it both ways and crammed so much development into the last 13 episodes that it really hurt the characters.

And blame GRRM too for not finishing the story and even for letting them make a show about a book series he hasn't and might not ever finish.

- the whole point that the story was driving to though was that blood shouldn't make someone a king. And that was borne out in the fact that they all got together and voted on a king. Jon's claim meant nothing, and that was the better outcome. In addition, telegraphing that far ahead to a foregone conclusion is just boring storytelling anyway, if Jon was made king. I do agree that it only mattered in that it made the conflict between he and Dany happen, which was integral to her downfall.

- he's the three eyed raven. ?

- he sent them to many higher ups i'm sure, but in the end it didn't matter anyway since they were done with king by family.

- agreed, we should have had more episodes.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just feel completely indifferent and empty inside after watching. It wasn't a total disaster and it wasn't particularly enthralling.

Moments like who became king of the realm should have resonated with me in a powerful way and instead I felt nothing.

I am grateful for this show existing though and it's been a hell of a ride up until this point

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
just finished the episode
overall i liked it better than episode 5
is this truly the end? we're still getting the GoT movies right?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Im pretty sure the creator of Daenerys Targaryen knows her arc and character better than anyone else.

Just because you don't like that she probably will die in the books to doesn't make him a clown. It means that you just don't like it.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I could ramble on and on about individual characters and things that just didn't make any sense, but I just felt like no one had a satisfying conclusion.

All in all, I'm sad to see it end. It left us on a low point, but I'll never forget the highs. An incredible achievement in televesion production that won't be topped for a long time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It is, in my opinion. She escaped justice from a lot of other people she hurt.

Dead is dead. And she died broken, scared and defeated. She also suffered a painful death seeing as she was crushed to death by falling debris.

How is Dany burning her alive or Arya slitting her throat in any different? What would have been "justice" in your opinion?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure the creator of Daenerys Targaryen knows her arc and character better than anyone else.

Just because you don't like that she probably will die in the books to doesn't make him a clown. It means that you just don't like it.

To have her turn into Dragon Hitler and be murdered by a man after everything she's gone through would be a sexist narrative. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To have her turn into Dragon Hitler and be murdered by a man after everything she's gone through would be a sexist narrative. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

According to r/gameofthrones, apparently GRRM responded to this blog post from 2013 with "This guy gets it" regarding Dany:
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bo1ast/spoilers_found_on_twitter_apparently_grrm/

q798s4907yx21.jpg

L176

Jan 10, 2019
I loved the ending. The episode could have been split in two like ep4 but I still loved the story arch even though I read the leak (now I hate myself fir doing it).

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's irrelevant to how the show executed it. They ruined the character with how they did it.

Im not talking about how the show executed it, Im talking about Dany will die both in the show and in the books. How, why and the steps toward it will be different.

I assume fAegon will play some part in that.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Was the fact that nothing has been explored or mapped out beyond Westeros ever explained in the books, or is it just something the show created to give Arya something to do? Seems hard to believe that none of the sea-faring Ironborn, or anyone from Westeros, ever decided to sail west.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If he was so done with the Night's Watch why didn't he fuck off to anywhere else? No one's going to make him, any real power in that deal went to Naath. Sigh, I'm going to stop thinking about all of this and start repressing.

How do people not get this? Him going to the Wall was a formality. It was to get Dany's followers to go away and let Jon live out his life where he felt comfortable. It was a "sham punishment".