• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Unprecedented times call for unprecendented measures. I don't think our states had ever closed borders before, but it's happened now. Does the federal government control states ability to close their own borders?

As to the how, if people land on a flight, force them into 14 days quarantine in a hotel. Police at every border crossing/road to enforce only essential travel. It boggles my mind that these options aren't explored.
Do you realize how many border crossings there are? That would be insane in a lot of cases. States literally were not built for that. There are roads everywhere. State lines bisect whatever the fuck is there. Some major metropolitan areas go across state lines. It'd be a logistical nightmare that would probably take hiring a ton of police and rallying the national guard.

But yeah aside from that it's unconstitutional.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
That graph looks very different than what the Georgia DoH has.

dph.georgia.gov

COVID-19 Status Report

These data represent confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the Georgia Department of Public Health.

No one has been able to explain this disparity to me. The Georgia Department of Health website is terrible for clarifying when exactly a person died, what is our hospitalization rate, and others.

The nearest I can figure is that they're updating the "new case/death" numbers, then putting in the actual date of symptom/case after the fact. But how do I know where these cases/deaths are occurring?

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
No one has been able to explain this disparity to me. The Georgia Department of Health website is terrible for clarifying when exactly a person died, what is our hospitalization rate, and others.

The nearest I can figure is that they're updating the "new case/death" numbers, then putting in the actual date of symptom/case after the fact. But how do I know where these cases/deaths are occurring?

Can't imagine the death numbers would more than a day or two away from actual if they were doing something like that.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
So glad North Carolina (despite our dipshit state legislature) at least has a competent Governor that will keep things closed up here for at least another few weeks.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Just a reminder that this virus infected 2% of the population of Albany, Georgia, killing 100 residents.

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Do you realize how many border crossings there are? That would be insane in a lot of cases. States literally were not built for that. There are roads everywhere. State lines bisect whatever the fuck is there. Some major metropolitan areas go across state lines. It'd be a logistical nightmare that would probably take hiring a ton of police and rallying the national guard.

But yeah aside from that it's unconstitutional.

Fair enough. Here they just closed many of the roads and diverted people where possible and shut down the highways to check everyone except transit and heavy vehicle traffic. You would think that something like this would prompt states to want to amend the constitution to give them more powers to close the borders. Of course I admit I don't understand enough about your constitution and why it is that way, just trying to understand from my perspective. It sounds like a clusterfuck waiting to happen by reopening early. There's not really talk of easing restrictions here for at least another month and we have nearly half our states with 0 new cases in the past 24 hours, so thankful that our social distancing is working.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Strange. I check that page everyday, but unfortunately I haven't been keeping track of their numbers day to day though. It used to be even a lot more barebones than it is now too.

It's tedious, but if you add all the individual values on that graph together, you'll get the total number of deaths (or cases) depending on which one you're doing.

It's a completely different distribution of values than the numbers we get every day in our state, which are updated as new reported cases.

So either Georgia is being deceitful with its numbers or has a massive backlog of cases to put into the system.

D6AMIA6N

Nov 8, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm from NY but have been in Atlanta for the past 16 years. Kemp is worthless. My family will be staying home for as long as is possible or it is deemed realistically safe to resume normal life.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
My running theory is that the state government saw the amount of unemployment claims and how much it was going to cost to pay out and is either A) Forcing you to go back since your employer is in the clear to open or B) Is forcing those concerned about safety to quit and thus receive zero unemployment.

I went on furlough from my job 3 weeks ago and haven't seen a cent of unemployment from the state.
My friend has two jobs but got furlough on one by Macy's. She's already receive 2 full payments about 810 each after taxes. She stay in ATL. Your company was suppose to file for you when if furlough you.

Also fuck Kemp, this shit about to get worse for us.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So thankful I have a democrat governor.
It just doesn't matter though. The lack of collective action is going to doom us all in a rinse and repeat cycle. This will hit New York again, LA again... most other places because of connections at Atlanta's airport... they are going to be exporting this shit to all the states again soon.

All of these weeks, all of this turmoil, was for absolutely nothing if this rolls out.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Same here. Being in Seattle is a complete reversal for the better... I loved where I was from, Decatur, but GA as a whole is going to get wrecked...

Here is another person who is glad she moved from Georgia to Washington. But honestly there were a lot of reasons to be happy to be here way before the virus. Hell, I'm never living on the east coast entirely unless I'm forced to. I was just in Atlanta visiting my parents at the end of February/beginning of March (Georgia got its first case the day I flew back).

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so what happens now? people are called back to work? im guessing that at least some precautions are gonna be taken - obviously not gonna be enough

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Those hair salon/barbershop lines are gonna be something else.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It just doesn't matter though. The lack of collective action is going to doom us all in a rinse and repeat cycle. This will hit New York again, LA again... most other places because of connections at Atlanta's airport... they are going to be exporting this shit to all the states again soon.

All of these weeks, all of this turmoil, was for absolutely nothing if this rolls out.
Nope its 100% matters alot, alot of state has good measures in place.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

it absolutely does matter

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Does anyone else have a bad feeling we are going to end up with a second peak, at least in many states?

Even my state, Colorado, is easing restrictions starting April 27. Granted, they are going to be done in phases, apparently with adjustments being dictated by data, which is already 110% better than Georgia's plan.

However, it feels as if certain states may be somewhat strong-armed into easing restrictions earlier than they'd prefer due to Trump's push to open things up, other states opening up, and the federal government's likely reluctance to provide additional stimulus.

I think it's worth posting this again. Once the genie is out of the bottle (easing restrictions), I don't think we're going to be able to put it back in. And with how irresponsible many people have been while states have been under a serious stay-at-home order, I suspect alleviating restrictions will be the inch that too many will turn into a yard when it comes to discarding social distancing.

Those hair salon/barbershop lines are gonna be something else.
The demand is going to be off the charts when they open their doors. The only thing more difficult than finding toilet paper was will be booking a haircut appointment.

Last edited:

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Nope its 100% matters alot, alot of state has good measures in place.
it absolutely does matter
Fundamentally, I'm with you. But what is a blue state governor going to do, beyond massive triage and testing... if we just let everyone in the airports as a direct line from states that aren't doing quarantine measures... it's a losing fight... it's just going to happen over and over and over again.

I live in New York, I am exhausted... to have to keep doing this over and over because a seed of infection is allowed in, someone goes from airport to subway, and boom, there we go again.

Just ban anyone from Georgia, or other states that do this? There's no real lever that we can pull.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
So my mom just emails me to say that churches are on the list of reopenings, please tell me she's mistaken. There's no amount of pleading that would get her to not go, and my parents are 70+.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Fundamentally, I'm with you. But what is a blue state governor going to do, beyond massive triage and testing... if we just let everyone in the airports as a direct line from states that aren't doing quarantine measures... it's a losing fight... it's just going to happen over and over and over again.

I live in New York, I am exhausted... to have to keep doing this over and over because a seed of infection is allowed in, someone goes from airport to subway, and boom, there we go again.

Just ban anyone from Georgia, or other states that do this? There's no real lever that we can pull.

Yes, its not perfect, yes these idiots in red states are making things more difficult for everyone, and yes, you can't really completely stop inter state travel, but States like CA keeping themselves as a shelter in place, keeping things shut down, despite what Trump or other dumb fuck governors think, gives people less reason to travel to California. You aren't going to get an influx of people from Atlanta traveling to see Disneyworld or to some convention in LA. The smart governors and smart states continuing to treat this the way it should be is absolutely helping to save their citizens. To say it won't matter or everyone is fucked anyway is ignorant fear mongering.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
www.fox5atlanta.com

Kemp: Restaurants, other businesses to reopen in Georgia amid COVID-19 fight

Kemp, Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan, House Speaker David Ralston, and other officials discussed reopening the state during a briefing on Monday.

Please help us.

Also, he has said that other southern states have offered guidance that they're doing the same, so if you were wondering whether Tennessee and Albama would be part of this, there's your answer. He says it's possible they would form a southern alliance, which has historically been a great thing.

You mean the one where they lost? Yes....so historically been great lol

This is going to be scary to watch.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I said it in the Texas thread but I'm okay with Georgia being a guinea pig here too. Seeya in 3 weeks.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Solved:

EP3sAJTXUAYicYH.jpg:medium

Virginia has two democrat senators, a democrat governor, have voted for the democrat since 2008, and democrats now control the state legislator. Why are we grouped in Jesusland? Meanwhile, states like Main have fucking Susan Colins as a senator. What dimwit made this?

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
lol, this time they're not even waiting 21 days after the peak like they did in 1918. Colorado is going to reopen less than 14 days since the peak.
Another fun Colorado Spanish Flu fact. Gunnison, Colorado, a small mountain town cut it self off from the world and managed to have zero deaths. However, they did end up with people infected after they loosened restrictions and then were hit by another wave. It's almost like you can learn from history if you wanted to.

www.theguardian.com

Gunnison, Colorado: the town that dodged the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic

A century on, what can we learn from how US mountain community dealt with viral outbreak

Virginia has two democrat senators, a democrat governor, have voted for the democrat since 2008, and democrats now control the state legislator. Why are we grouped in Jesusland? Meanwhile, states like Main have fucking Susan Colins as a senator. What dimwit made this?

And yeah I'm not a big fan of Colorado being lumped up into here but I get it. As long as I can move to the USC.