Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

It's always fun to go back and look at how weird the initial reception to ESB was - a lot folks just had no idea what to make of it. What's hysterical is that some of those quotes wouldn't be out place in contemporary criticisms of the prequels and sequels.

In a way it's comforting to know that even from the very beginning, nobody has hated Star Wars more than Star Wars fans XD

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
press.disney.co.uk

DISNEY+ IS JUST GETTING STARTED: NON-STOP NEW EXCLUSIVES COMING IN 2024

Disney+ confirms upcoming titles set to premiere exclusively on the service in the UK & Ireland next year, including FX’s original adaptation of James Clavell’s bestselling novel “Shōgun,” the star-studded drama series “Rivals,” based on the iconic novel from Jilly Cooper, UK original action and...

bespinbulletin.com

Disney confirm Star Wars: The Acolyte and Star Wars: Skeleton Crew will release in 2024, Star Wars: Andor Season 2 not listed - Bespin Bulletin

Disney have officially confirmed the release of two live-action Star Wars series for 2024, though one anticipated to release next year is absent.

SW line-up 2024: The Acolyte and Skeleton Crew
Missing (but rumored to release in 2024): Bad Batch Season 3 and Tales of the Jedi Season 2.

Rumor: Apparently Andor will release in 2025… :( but makes sense and let them cook etc etc.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I don't remember this! (probably b/c I had a bootleg of ESB on VHS since 1981 haha)

View: https://x.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1727790964234747965?s=20

This is amazing. Sounds like JEJ did the voice too.

press.disney.co.uk

Disney+ confirms upcoming titles set to premiere exclusively on the service in the UK & Ireland next year, including FX’s original adaptation of James Clavell’s bestselling novel “Shōgun,” the star-studded drama series “Rivals,” based on the iconic novel from Jilly Cooper, UK original action and...

bespinbulletin.com

Disney confirm Star Wars: The Acolyte and Star Wars: Skeleton Crew will release in 2024, Star Wars: Andor Season 2 not listed - Bespin Bulletin

Disney have officially confirmed the release of two live-action Star Wars series for 2024, though one anticipated to release next year is absent.

Missing (but rumored to release in 2024): Bad Batch Season 3 and Tales of the Jedi Season 2.

Rumor: Apparently Andor will release in 2025… :( but makes sense and let them cook etc etc.
Guessing that means no Andor physical release for a while still if it's looking like 2025… :'(

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
press.disney.co.uk

bespinbulletin.com

Andor 2025? Heartbreak

Acolyte will be aces though.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
A thought popped into my head recently...so Rey's parents left her behind on Jaaku when she was a very young child, either abandoning her or perhaps to protect her, and she spent her young life working for a junk and scrap dealer. So...wouldn't Rey be totally uneducated? She'd have no reading, no writing, no 'rithmetic. No understanding of science. No knowledge of the history of the Republic and the Empire. In other words, you're not going to have a lot of interesting dinner conversation with Rey.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A thought popped into my head recently...so Rey's parents left her behind on Jaaku when she was a very young child, either abandoning her or perhaps to protect her, and she spent her young life working for a junk and scrap dealer. So...wouldn't Rey be totally uneducated? She'd have no reading, no writing, no 'rithmetic. No understanding of science. No knowledge of the history of the Republic and the Empire. In other words, you're not going to have a lot of interesting dinner conversation with Rey.
Unkar Plutt presumably gave her basic education and mechanical skills iirc so she could be of use when she worked with him before going independent. She probably self taught during and after, though I doubt there's much engagement outside of mechanical and Jedi subjects by the time of TRoS.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Unkar Plutt was a friend of the family until she came of age and started working with him. Rey also frequently talked with travelers who'd come to and from the planet. Hence the part where she's knows enough SW lore to fact check other characters despite believing that they were only legends.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Unkar Plutt presumably gave her basic education and mechanical skills iirc so she could be of use when she worked with him before going independent. She probably self taught during and after, though I doubt there's much engagement outside of mechanical and Jedi subjects by the time of TRoS.
Unkar Plutt was a friend of the family until she came of age and started working with him. Rey also frequently talked with travelers who'd come to and from the planet. Hence the part where she's knows enough SW lore to fact check other characters despite believing that they were only legends.
Interesting, I was just going by what I knew from the movies, but in a universe where a slave boy can own a robot and a pod racer I guess a junk collector can be educated. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Star Wars: Darth Maul Paperback – 19 Sept. 2017

Thinking of grabbing this as a gift for a friend this Christmas. I just wanted to check two things.

1. Would you say it's a good gift? I'm pretty certain he's never read it, and he really liked TCW and Rebels.
2. Is this a self contained comic, or is it the first chapter of many? I was hoping it would be the former.

It's a fully self-contained prequel to Phantom Menace. There's just those 5 issues collected within, it's not part of a broader series. There was a one-shot sequel issue released as a part of the Age of Republic collection, but the comic is complete without it, it was just a follow-up they did later. It's been several years since I read it, but I recall it being pretty good and nice expansion of his character and his backstory. I'd say it's a good gift if they're a fan of the Maul and want more after the shows.

There's also Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, which is another good gift, especially for someone invested in TCW and Rebels. It's a four-part comic that adapts four unproduced Clone Wars screenplays, which explains a pretty substantial gap in Maul's story between his last appearance in the original run of Clone Wars and his reappearance in the Disney+ revival season. Would have been a real fun villain free-for-all arc if it had ever made it to TV, keep hoping it gets adapted some day.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
It's a fully self-contained prequel to Phantom Menace. There's just those 5 issues collected within, it's not part of a broader series. There was a one-shot sequel issue released as a part of the Age of Republic collection, but the comic is complete without it, it was just a follow-up they did later. It's been several years since I read it, but I recall it being pretty good and nice expansion of his character and his backstory. I'd say it's a good gift if they're a fan of the Maul and want more after the shows.

There's also Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, which is another good gift, especially for someone invested in TCW and Rebels. It's a four-part comic that adapts four unproduced Clone Wars screenplays, which explains a pretty substantial gap in Maul's story between his last appearance in the original run of Clone Wars and his reappearance in the Disney+ revival season. Would have been a real fun villain free-for-all arc if it had ever made it to TV, keep hoping it gets adapted some day.

Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated and really helpful!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
In my stubborn insistence to watch/read/play/listen to all canon Star Wars media, I've been watching Young Jedi Adventures. I figured it would firmly be it's own thing, but it actually directly connects to the rest of the High Republic. It's kinda hilarious to me that Loden, Bell, Maru, and Starlight all show up given all of the... everything that happens like 2 years after this, lol.

This bit from Wookieepedia lmao:
"When asked how to explain Greatstorm's fate to young fans, episode writer Cavan Scott jokingly responded to simply say Greatstorm 'had lots of lovely adventures with Bell'"

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Star Wars fans with VR, is Vader Immortal worth it?
Played the first episode on PSVR1 and previously watched let's plays of the full thing prior to getting my PlayStation. It's enjoyable, though I'm mixed on VR and I kinda sucked at the controls. Overall design-wise it's definitely closer to a large-scale tech demo than like, the Respawn Jedi games. Story is interesting, definitely has vibes of the Vader comics if you're into that.

I probably wouldn't pay the full $30, but it's worth the $18 it's on sale for on PS right now.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars fans with VR, is Vader Immortal worth it?
Yes definitely the campaign is not really a game more of a guided experience but the story is pretty good for what it is. Best part of it though is the lightsaber dojo which is an extra game mode that pits you against waves of enemies.

Even though the Galaxy's Edge VR game is more of a game I think I still prefer Vader Immortal.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played the first episode on PSVR1 and previously watched let's plays of the full thing prior to getting my PlayStation. It's enjoyable, though I'm mixed on VR and I kinda sucked at the controls. Overall design-wise it's definitely closer to a large-scale tech demo than like, the Respawn Jedi games. Story is interesting, definitely has vibes of the Vader comics if you're into that.

I probably wouldn't pay the full $30, but it's worth the $18 it's on sale for on PS right now.
Yes definitely the campaign is not really a game more of a guided experience but the story is pretty good for what it is. Best part of it though is the lightsaber dojo which is an extra game mode that pits you against waves of enemies.

Even though the Galaxy's Edge VR game is more of a game I think I still prefer Vader Immortal.
I played all episodes of Vader Immortal over the holidays on my new Meta Quest 3. I get the criticism, but it was a thrill to stand next to Darth Vader. The controls could be finicky at times and I think I climbed more ladders than used my lightsaber lol. I don't regret the purchase, as I had a fun experience.

I also purchased Galaxy's Edge, but I'll save that for later.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Let myself get waaaaay behind on comics, slowly getting caught back up. Have all the ongoing series read up until right at the start of the Dark Droids arc/event. Also *finally* more or less caught up on High Republic, working on Eye of Darkness right now, and then I'll be good to finally jump into the rest of the High Republic novels as they each release. Beyond that I gotta finish some RotJ 40 stuff (back half of Certain Point of View and some comics and Insider shorts) and Crimson Climb.

So sometime next month I should be at a point where I have no more new canon Star Wars stories available at all, Skywalker Saga or High Republic. Then it'll finally be time to jump into the old EU, which I never really got into back in the day. Been starting a collection of random things. Have Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the original novelizations of the OT, plan to get into those and the OG Marvel comics, really interested to see what the reeeeally early stuff like that was like! Might even go all-in and finally check out the Ewok movies and Ewok and Droids cartoons.

Diggler

Oct 28, 2017
Really liked Dark Droids, reminded me of Marvel events like Annihilation, etc. Some great stuff in there.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Seeing a lot of buzz on Twitter that they Rey Star Wars movie has been delayed indefinitely, but can't track a source. Does anyone have info on that?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhh

How is that character back???
Sounds like that will be covered rather than thrown out.
"We love Asajj Ventress. She's a character that we've been wanting to tell more stories about," Brad Rau, supervising director and one of the executive producers of the series, tells StarWars.com. And he makes clear that her return will honor prior tales, including the book in which the character apparently perished. "We don't want to spoil anything, but want fans to know that any new storytelling with Ventress will align with the events of Star Wars: Dark Disciple."

I'm not sure how that will be pulled off without it feeling like a major retcon, but I'm glad that wasn't the end. Still would love to see a version of those events be given the episode treatment through Tales of the Jedi.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
That book and Son of Dathomir need adaptations.

I'd love if they did a series of screen adaptations of big stuff from the books. Could even pull the general rule of "adaptations are canon-adjacent" that they more or less have going, to give them some creative freedom for the short-form format, while still keeping the page versions true canon.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Carl Weathers Dies: ‘Rocky’ & ‘Predator’ Star Who Appeared In ‘Happy Gilmore’, ‘The Mandalorian’ & More Was 76

Carl Weathers, who starred as Apollo Creed in the first four Rocky films and appeared in Predator, The Mandalorian, Happy Gilmore, Action Jackson and dozens of other films and TV shows, died Tuesda…

Carl Weathers, who starred as Apollo Creed in the first four Rocky films and appeared in Predator, The Mandalorian, Happy Gilmore, Action Jackson and dozens of other films and TV shows, died Tuesday, his family announced. He was 76.

May 22, 2023
Florida
I have this really heavy love / hate thing with Phantom Menace.
It was an amazing period in time.
So much excitement and so much hype, I remember our whole crew did an over night run to about five different Walmarts to hit the figures and merch at the pre launch, Target had a special midnight thing also and Toys R Us.
We had two groups that camped out at two different theaters for tickets so we could see the pre show and then the prime time on opening day.
Camping out was a blast because we were all nerds, someone had a dvd player hooked up to an extension cord and everyone was watching the OT.
Saber battles would randomly break out, and a local radio station had pizza delivered for everyone.
In the morning a small group snuck around to Taco Bell and snagged the Amidala and Maul window clingies. All of the sudden like three taco bell employees came hauling ass out like "fuck no you don't!!!" And there was a big chase across a major highway and we all split up in the parking lot.
So many rumors and "spoilers" around but everyone was just buzzing and it was just a great time. First show was just the most hyped crowd and same on opening day

Then after that whole nerd high wore off is when I started just kind of thinking about it and apparently so did many because the backlash started as a quiet rumble and then roared.
The movie had so much potential and then Qui Gon and Obi Wan crossed paths with Jar Jar and it just tanked everything from there.

Still if I were not in Germany now I would probably love to go to this.
There is just something special when you are in a theater and see "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away ..."