Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Doug Jones Learned About Discovery's Cancellation On A Star Trek Cruise, But Explains Why It Ended Up Being A Beautiful Experience:

Saru is one of my all time favorite Trek characters and I love Doug Jones. I really hope he shows up in the spin-off.

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking up some information and was reminded that Wrath of Khan takes place a long time after TMP, and that apparently Kirk&crew had a whole second five year mission on the Enterprise after TMP, with another ~four years after that ended until TWoK takes place. Like at least a decade between 1 & 2 despite it only being 3 years between movies in real life.

That makes me wonder... I've seen people theorizing for a while about Strange New Worlds being followed up with a sort of TOS part 2 with the new cast they've been introducing. But some people complain that Kirk's new actor is already a little too old for that, and presume that SNW will still be running for another few years, putting any direct follow-up still quite a few years from now.

What if instead of a TOS continuation of some sort, they instead did Kirk's second 5 year mission in the TMP era aboard the refit? The mission we havent seen anything at all from yet. 🤔

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I was looking up some information and was reminded that Wrath of Khan takes place a long time after TMP, and that apparently Kirk&crew had a whole second five year mission on the Enterprise after TMP, with another ~four years after that ended until TWoK takes place. Like at least a decade between 1 & 2 despite it only being 3 years between movies in real life.

That makes me wonder... I've seen people theorizing for a while about Strange New Worlds being followed up with a sort of TOS part 2 with the new cast they've been introducing. But some people complain that Kirk's new actor is already a little too old for that, and presume that SNW will still be running for another few years, putting any direct follow-up still quite a few years from now.

What if instead of a TOS continuation of some sort, they instead did Kirk's second 5 year mission in the TMP era aboard the refit? The mission we havent seen anything at all from yet. 🤔
I'll take it only if they use tmp-inspired hair, costumes and beards. Especially beards.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Hi. Checking in. Remember how I'm the one weirdo that loved all seasons of Star Trek: Picard, especially Season 2 and thought Season 3 was the worst (almost entirely because it was a mix of nostalgia bait and Jack Crusher, whom I detest)?

Well, I finally started Discovery and I'm midway through Season 3.

I don't know if anything will dethrone DS9 for me, but Disco is already better than TNG and VOY. (I never watched ENT.) To be honest, with how every plot thread in Season 2 came together, that was utterly masterful, and now we're left unshackled in Season 3. Every single captain has been fantastic, and I think Saru is probably my favorite ... ever. Words can't express how much I love that character.

I'm super excited to start Strange New Worlds and revisit Anson Mount -- and I've been wanting to see Lower Decks forever -- but I gotta finish out DIS. It's so odd. I haven't thought about Star Trek in ages, but it feels like my interest has been completely rekindled!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in for medallions

If they did such a thing, I imagine the bridge and general internals would get a notable revision, but I wonder if they would dare touch the outside of the refit or generally leave it be

I don't really think the refit needs any external modifications to work in a modern context, although I've never liked the movie era interiors very much and wouldnt mind seeing some revisionist history there.
(it's not like the interiors were very consistent between the TOS movies anyway)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
TNG season 7 is definitely the weakest season of the show to air in the 1990s, but Lower Decks was a gem at least.

Still have a few episodes until the finale though.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I mean I am very happy you are loving Disco, cuz so do I. But I don't know about that second part ;)
Oh, I know I'm the weirdo here. I think it's also a function of not having seen those shows in decades now, so it's probably recency bias. Maybe I need a curated list of "non-filler" episodes once I'm fully caught up. I've seen every TNG, DS9, and VOY episode — but there's just not enough time to watch all the monster of the week episodes…

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I suppose there are important canon/character episodes in the older shows but most of those episodes are monster of the week things just because of their format. They don't really have a strong storyline throughout except during the season finales maybe. DS9 is probably the only one that will have a higher percentage of "canon" shows considering the story.

I personally wouldn't even compare Discovery that much to the older Trek stuff. I would compare it to the Star Trek movies, Strange New Worlds or other contemporary non-Star Trek shows myself… it just has to deal with the baggage of the canon which it pretty clearly messes around with during at least the first two seasons. I think Discovery mostly becomes "monster of the season" rather than monster of the week.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Comparing Disco to older shows is never really fair.

It bore the responsibility of trying to appeal to fans who hadn't had a show to watch in 15 years, while also having to appeal to a younger generation of new fans. Different formats, episode counts, different world we all live in and the politics and world events that Star Trek has always incorporated into it's shows.

I get the desire to want to compare them, but honestly, I think Discovery stands on its own as a very good show without any need to be beholden to the almost 40 year old TNG.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OT for the final Disco season is up... feels weird to say

www.resetera.com

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 5 | The Vulcan Goodbye OT

| Star Trek Franchise OT | Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S2 OT | Star Trek: Lower Decks S4 OT | Star Trek: Prodigy S1 OT | Cast Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham Doug Jones as Saru Anthony Rapp as Paul Stamets Mary Wiseman as Sylvia Tilly Wilson Cruz as Hugh Culber Blu del Barrio as...

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that snuck up on me. 2017 seems so long ago (or did it start in 2018)?
It started on September 24, 2017 which means when it ends on May 30, 2024 it will haves started and ended almost exactly 30 years after TNG which aired from September 28, 1987 to May 23, 1994. That's weird to think about because it still feels like Discovery just started.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
It started on September 24, 2017 which means when it ends on May 30, 2024 it will haves started and ended almost exactly 30 years after TNG which aired from September 28, 1987 to May 23, 1994. That's weird to think about because it still feels like Discovery just started.
Short seasons will do that to you! By episode count, I guess Disco is closer to two/two and a half seasons of an old 26-episode show

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Comparing Disco to older shows is never really fair.

It bore the responsibility of trying to appeal to fans who hadn't had a show to watch in 15 years, while also having to appeal to a younger generation of new fans. Different formats, episode counts, different world we all live in and the politics and world events that Star Trek has always incorporated into it's shows.

I get the desire to want to compare them, but honestly, I think Discovery stands on its own as a very good show without any need to be beholden to the almost 40 year old TNG.

I always compared it to Enterprise for at least the first 2 seasons before they started pumping out more of the shows.

It is is a clear bridge between past and future chapters and sort of a merging of the TV Shows/movies of Trek past. The first two seasons were a hot mess but I can't say they were that much worse than Enterprise or Star Trek Nemesis at the end of the day

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, I know I'm the weirdo here. I think it's also a function of not having seen those shows in decades now, so it's probably recency bias. Maybe I need a curated list of "non-filler" episodes once I'm fully caught up. I've seen every TNG, DS9, and VOY episode — but there's just not enough time to watch all the monster of the week episodes…
I'm right there with you. Hadn't watched a lot of old Trek as an adult, and Discovery was my gateway drug back into the whole universe. I'm rewatching all of Disco with my wife right now and I still just love it a lot. I don't think I could get my wife to sit through multiple episodes of old Trek like I can with Discovery and a lot of that has to do with how well it manages to do Trek stories in a modern TV format. Hoping to get through the rewatch soon so I can start on season 5. I'm going to be sad to see it go.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the premiere of Discovery I went back and watched the TNG episode
"The Chase"

A few things. I think that the Vulcans should have been there at the end with with the Cardassians, Romulans and Klingons.

Secondly this dude was a trip. He should have been a recurring character.
latest

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Finished TNG. Despite how spotty season 7 is, that was a tremendous final episode. It's extremely hard to land the ending to a long running show, especially when the cracks begin to form in the earlier episodes of the season, but they did a fantastic job. Got emotional in the last shot at the poker game.

Well, that's TNG wrapped. A show I watched occasionally as a kid, but sat through the whole thing as an adult and loved it. With a show like that it can seem hard to live up to its legacy, but for the most part it absolutely does. Gonna take a few months off and then onward to DS9.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Finished TNG. Despite how spotty season 7 is, that was a tremendous final episode. It's extremely hard to land the ending to a long running show, especially when the cracks begin to form in the earlier episodes of the season, but they did a fantastic job. Got emotional in the last shot at the poker game.

Well, that's TNG wrapped. A show I watched occasionally as a kid, but sat through the whole thing as an adult and loved it. With a show like that it can seem hard to live up to its legacy, but for the most part it absolutely does. Gonna take a few months off and then onward to DS9.

Season 3 of Picard, when you eventually get to it, will have you misty eyed through like... A third of it

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Happy First Contact day to all who celebrate. I'll be rewatching the movie over the weekend and laughing everytime Picard smashes the glass while yelling No

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I like the idea of telling the Romulan war and creation of the federation especially if it means the characters from Enterprise appear, but I get the impression that that won't happen

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
oh so like whatever period of time there is between Enterprise and TOS I suppose? I guess we never really see much about the establishing races and their politics or whatever. We hardly ever see Andorians and they're like a super important race, right? I just remember Jeffery Combs in Enterprise doing a bad Weyoun impression.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
oh so like whatever period of time there is between Enterprise and TOS I suppose? I guess we never really see much about the establishing races and their politics or whatever. We hardly ever see Andorians and they're like a super important race, right? I just remember Jeffery Combs in Enterprise doing a bad Weyoun impression.

There is a lot of Andorian stuff in Enterprise.

Launch

Oct 27, 2017
There's Andorians every season of Enterprise. They're way more helpful then the Vulcans.

Archer even becomes Ambassador to Andoria after the founding of the Federation and eventually Federation president. I'd love a story of that, it's the only prequel I want.

(Also Shran and Weyoun are nothing alike lol)

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
With all the financial issues with Paramount, I guess it isn't surprising.

Discovery ending after season 5, Lower decks ending after season 5, Picard is (planned) over, Prodigy is on Netflix for season 2.

A lot of Trek is ending. At least there are new projects in development.