Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say it's more of a lateral move from Voyager. Enterprise does actually fix some of the issues Voyager has, while introducing some new ones. There's a lot of good in Enterprise, and a lot of not so good, but at the very least the change in setting mixes things up a bit and can feel fresh when they embrace it.

Just be aware that S1 and 2 have quite a few episodes that are still just TNG/VOY episodes with the names changed. Lol
Fair enough! I don't mind a bit of rehashing.

I wouldn't say that I'm souring on Voyager by this point, but I don't LOVE it like I did say around season 3. It's disappointing that outside of them getting close enough to be in more regular contact with Starfleet, it feels like there's no real progression or endgame at work in the story, and that the last episode is stuck just having to wrap everything up on its own.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Fair enough! I don't mind a bit of rehashing.

I wouldn't say that I'm souring on Voyager by this point, but I don't LOVE it like I did say around season 3. It's disappointing that outside of them getting close enough to be in more regular contact with Starfleet, it feels like there's no real progression or endgame at work in the story, and that the last episode is stuck just having to wrap everything up on its own.

I love Voyager but the last episode was always such a disappointment to me. I just felt there was 10 different ways they could have ended the show that would have been better and more fulfilling then not even seeing them step foot on Earth lol.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I love Voyager but the last episode was always such a disappointment to me. I just felt there was 10 different ways they could have ended the show that would have been better and more fulfilling then not even seeing them step foot on Earth lol.
I'm just glad that I know ahead of time that it's disappointing. I really wanted Voyager to hit a sweet spot between TNG and DS9 when it came to balancing out monster of the week stuff with an overall plotted out story arc, and here almost at the end, to have them still be in the Delta Quadrant in the episode before the finale is just nuts to me.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I'm just glad that I know ahead of time that it's disappointing. I really wanted Voyager to hit a sweet spot between TNG and DS9 when it came to balancing out monster of the week stuff with an overall plotted out story arc, and here almost at the end, to have them still be in the Delta Quadrant in the episode before the finale is just nuts to me.

Honestly, watching it at the time on TV I was glad Voyager kind of veered away from the plot heavy "connected" seasons of DS9 for the more fun exploration monster of the week episodes.

It definitely loses a bit when you binge watch it. Not that it's stopped me from watching it 3 times lol.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, watching it at the time on TV I was glad Voyager kind of veered away from the plot heavy "connected" seasons of DS9 for the more fun exploration monster of the week episodes.

It definitely loses a bit when you binge watch it. Not that it's stopped me from watching it 3 times lol.
Somehow right now I'm in the middle of rewatching TNG and watching Voyager and Strange New a worlds for the first time. I'll be happy to have VOY in the rotation. It's a great show. I feel like it's missing it's version of a Worf or an Odo. Seven is interesting, but I wish there were more aliens in the main cast.(It took me a lot longer to come around on Neelix compared to the Ferengi in DS9. He's a great character, he just comes on real strong in that Poochie/Jar Jar vein at the outset.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Somehow right now I'm in the middle of rewatching TNG and watching Voyager and Strange New a worlds for the first time. I'll be happy to have VOY in the rotation. It's a great show. I feel like it's missing it's version of a Worf or an Odo. Seven is interesting, but I wish there were more aliens in the main cast.(It took me a lot longer to come around on Neelix compared to the Ferengi in DS9. He's a great character, he just comes on real strong in that Poochie/Jar Jar vein at the outset.

Neelix and Torres are the two characters in Voyager that I think get better with every season. Neelix ends up being one of my favorites by the end of the show.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I finished my TOS watch - the last season was a chore for the most part.

Now starting my rewatch of TNG that I haven't watched since it aired and I was a kid. I didn't realize O'Brien was in the pilot!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It took me way too long into DS9 before I realized he wasn't a regular Starfleet officer. I always figured "chief" was his nickname. 😆
That's because it took the show years to decide he was an enlisted officer. He was originally a Lieutenant on TNG and chief was in fact a nickname coming from his job as transporter chief before they retconned it into an enlisted rank.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I'm in the exact same boat with Voyager; I actually finished it yesterday! I feel the same way about the finale. I think it was good, but it was abrupt. Honestly, I would have loved it if they spent like 5 more minutes after they made it back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Overall, I don't think it beats out DS9 as my favorite series, but it's pretty great.

Nov 27, 2020
Yeah at some point I believe that Roddenberry decided that Starfleet was all officers (or maybe it was just the 1701d?).

I know chief has jr lt pips in TNG, but he calls himself an enlisted man when he meets words adopted father, and the people's hero was born.
IIRC, that was actually in the original TOS series bible. It was based on the idea that astronauts were officers and were all at the top of their fields.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Watching DS9 and I got to the episode "Necessary Evil". Wow. Easily my favorite episode yet. This and Duet from Season 1 are top notch.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Finished SNW. Unmistakably my favorite, only I hope they break TOS canon and do their own thing. I love these characters so much. So much.

If I ever teach a law school class, I'm showing the M'Benga episode.

And yes, I had absolutely NO IDEA about K-Pop, and it wrecked me for a solid 10 minutes.

Time to start Lower Decks!

Edit: Already on Episode 2 and I can't stop laughing. "The Janeway Protocol" absolutely slayed me. I can see why this show would be divisive, but it's working for me.

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Time to start Lower Decks!

Edit: Already on Episode 2 and I can't stop laughing. "The Janeway Protocol" absolutely slayed me. I can see why this show would be divisive, but it's working for me.
You're in for another treat then because I think the first couple eps of Lower Decks are easily the weakest.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
You're in for another treat then because I think the first couple eps of Lower Decks are easily the weakest.
Season 1 finished!

Continuing my weird tradition, I loved every episode of Season 1, except the finale. I really don't need Riker and Troi showing up as guest stars. It's also why I'm the one person in existence who thought Picard S2 was much better than S3 (although that's mostly because of Jack Crusher). I'll forgive it because it was lampshaded multiple times throughout the episode, but I hope they don't make a habit of it.

I don't need nostalgia! I don't mind references, but I want to see the crew of the Cerritos do their own thing.

Also really surprised the finale had consequences, which I respected.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 finished!

Continuing my weird tradition, I loved every episode of Season 1, except the finale. I really don't need Riker and Troi showing up as guest stars. It's also why I'm the one person in existence who thought Picard S2 was much better than S3 (although that's mostly because of Jack Crusher). I'll forgive it because it was lampshaded multiple times throughout the episode, but I hope they don't make a habit of it.

I don't need nostalgia! I don't mind references, but I want to see the crew of the Cerritos do their own thing.

There are a handful of other returning actors here and there.

I enjoy LD's Riker content (you may need to wait until S2, I forgot if he was mostly played straight in the S1 finale or not) because he's kinda absurd - Frakes had been wanting to do Comedy Riker forever.

Nov 27, 2020
For a show with the tone that Lower Decks has, there are actually a surprising amount of consequences and character development. Mid Season 2 is where it shifts from being "That Fun Reference Show" to being a show more about the characters with references sprinkled in and it's all the better for it. Season 3 and Season 4 especially embrace that.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
For a show with the tone that Lower Decks has, there are actually a surprising amount of consequences and character development. Mid Season 2 is where it shifts from being "That Fun Reference Show" to being a show more about the characters with references sprinkled in and it's all the better for it. Season 3 and Season 4 especially embrace that.
Can't wait. My only regret is not starting this sooner, since I can't participate in long-dead threads. Kicking myself for not watching Picard, SNW, Disco, and LD before now.

At least I'm good for the remaining seasons, then I can turn this stuff (and older series) into comfort food rewatches. Never would've thought that Paramount Plus would be my most used streaming service, but here we are.

Nov 27, 2020
Can't wait. My only regret is not starting this sooner, since I can't participate in long-dead threads. Kicking myself for not watching Picard, SNW, Disco, and LD before now.

At least I'm good for the remaining seasons, then I can turn this stuff (and older series) into comfort food rewatches. Never would've thought that Paramount Plus would be my most used streaming service, but here we are.
It's mine too…a couple of years ago we had near year round Trek…I miss those days.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You know I never got why people hated Wesley Crusher. I'm on episode 5 now of TNG.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Just guessing but the one where he gets drunk, almost kills everyone, and because he didn't gets promoted?

Nov 27, 2020
Pretty sure they're referring to "Where No One Has Gone Before", which…isn't a bad early episode? Guess Wesley being "Warp Mozart" hit a nerve. 😂

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I still haven't seen Beyond. Now that I've watched more Trek since those movies came out I wonder how my perspective would change.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Also rather curiously, there's been a longer gap between now and Star Trek Beyond than between Nemesis and Star Trek '09.

So despite the Star Trek renaissance going on at the moment with lots of live action shows, animated shows and whatnot, nobody's figured out how to get it back into theaters.

Nov 27, 2020
Also rather curiously, there's been a longer gap between now and Star Trek Beyond than between Nemesis and Star Trek '09.

So despite the Star Trek renaissance going on at the moment with lots of live action shows, animated shows and whatnot, nobody's figured out how to get it back into theaters.
Personally, I think that the best shot to get a new theatrical Trek movie will be in a few years and do one with the Strange New Worlds crew. I don't think we're getting another Kelvin movie (despite the quarterly announcements of new movies), and any movie that is disconnected from an existing cast just feels like a non-starter to me.

Otherwise, I'm kind of ok without a movie with the quality TV Trek we've had over the past few years. The best of the movies built upon existing characters, relationships and situations that were developed over multiple seasons of a series. Maybe they should go back to that formula?