USA

View: https://x.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1778872933261398190

edit -

he deleted it

qqBAzOG.jpg

Last edited:

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the news, extremely bummed Lower Decks is ending, it definitely feels like this era of Trek is winding down, I also wonder if they're going to continue with the academy series, something I'm not particularly interested in

Jan 29, 2018
Just saw the news, extremely bummed Lower Decks is ending, it definitely feels like this era of Trek is winding down, I also wonder if they're going to continue with the academy series, something I'm not particularly interested in

As of the Variety article a couple weeks ago they were building sets for Academy and are going to start shooting this year.

Definitely feels like we're transitioning from a wealth of Trek to a "beggars can't be choosers" era.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
I wonder if 5 seasons is the limit for Trek shows now.

Both Discovery and Lower Decks end with 5.

Picard was always going to be 3 seasons from the beginning, and we all know what happened with Prodigy.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit notable to me that, outside of the purported prequel film (and arguably, even then), all the new projects are things that have, to some degree or another, been in the works for rather a while. Talk of a Starfleet Academy series has gone on for years, as has the prospects of a Section 31 project with Michelle Yeoh. It makes it feel a bit like Paramount specifically has okayed things they probably gave the greenlight to long ago, but weren't prepared to discharge the budget for until other Trek shows began wrapping up. Prodigy, Picard, Discovery, and now Lower Decks clears the way, but even Section 31 has seemingly been scaled back to a TV movie, rather than a long term and ongoing project

So, if Starfleet Academy at least makes it to two seasons, it'll be it and Strange New Worlds for the 'long' run

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Honestly this isn't even upsetting to me. 5 seasons of a show is fantastic, even by older standards, but certainly by "streaming" standards.

With such long shoot schedules and the costs of these shows I don't think we will ever go back to them getting 7+ seasons.

Hopefully Strange New Worlds holds on for another season or 2, but the fact it's being renewed for Season 4 before Season 3 airs is promising indeed.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, sad. :(

I guess the only real thing to wrap up is evil Boimler, but it would have been fitting if they were able to do an All Good Things/What You Leave Behind ending.

Or if they really wanted to be assholes, they could have made the final episode should just star Frakes and Sirtis.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I kinda doubt it just because of how much time post-production (if that's the right term) takes in animation. I believe the cast finished recording season 5 quite a while ago.

It depends on when they were told season five was the end. Paramount may have told them months ago and waited until now to announce it.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
It's a bit notable to me that, outside of the purported prequel film (and arguably, even then), all the new projects are things that have, to some degree or another, been in the works for rather a while. Talk of a Starfleet Academy series has gone on for years, as has the prospects of a Section 31 project with Michelle Yeoh. It makes it feel a bit like Paramount specifically has okayed things they probably gave the greenlight to long ago, but weren't prepared to discharge the budget for until other Trek shows began wrapping up. Prodigy, Picard, Discovery, and now Lower Decks clears the way, but even Section 31 has seemingly been scaled back to a TV movie, rather than a long term and ongoing project

So, if Starfleet Academy at least makes it to two seasons, it'll be it and Strange New Worlds for the 'long' run

I think you're onto the strategy a bit here. Maybe they are scaling back a bit and making one or two series to focus on, and have movies on the side. Sort of like how it was back during TNG/Voyager/DS9 days?

They had like 5 ongoing series at different time frames the past few years so it was a bit difficult to focus on a particular narrative going on with the franchise as a whole.

Too bad Prodigy likely won't see any more seasons.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If they are still trying to get bought, cutting costs probably makes sense. But it also seems to make the streaming service less valuable. Like once Lower Decks ends, if you don't care about anything else, presumably you just stop paying for the service until SNW airs again.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
If they are still trying to get bought, cutting costs probably makes sense. But it also seems to make the streaming service less valuable. Like once Lower Decks ends, if you don't care about anything else, presumably you just stop paying for the service until SNW airs again.
Especially when the Variety article confirmed that one in Five of the subscribers to Paramount + watch a Star Trek series

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
The cancellation of Lower Decks is very disappointing. It's my favorite of the streaming Star Trek shows. The only other one that I really like is Strange New Worlds. I feel like Discovery is mediocre at best and I haven't even bothered to watch the final season. I also have very little interest in Starfleet Academy at this point since it seems to be a Discovery spin-off.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
The final season of discovery is, so far, it's best. And that with only 3 episodes in. They got the tone and pace of the show down, and it's a good balance of good storytelling and fan service without the crutch of chasing a big bad. Characters are having a good time, too.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I just hope they recreate the pilot episode of Star Trek for SNW before they can it. Did they ever say they would do that one way or another?

I hope they film it now and just save it for whenever the last season is.

The Cage? They're beyond that story wise. Discovery Season 2 had them return to it as a sequel to The Cage

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Probably true, but I wonder if Paramount gets more viewers/makes more money from the Taylor Sheridan-verse nowadays. There are SO MANY of his shows on there and I know it's Paramount+'s other cash cow.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the eventual series boxset of Lower Decks.

The cancellation of Lower Decks is very disappointing. It's my favorite of the streaming Star Trek shows. The only other one that I really like is Strange New Worlds. I feel like Discovery is mediocre at best and I haven't even bothered to watch the final season. I also have very little interest in Starfleet Academy at this point since it seems to be a Discovery spin-off.
I'm right there with you. Lower Decks and SNW are why I even sub to Paramount+. Once this last season is over I'll only sub when new eps of SNW are out.

I'm struggling with Disco. Stopped somewhere in season 3 and I similarly don't have any interest in the academy show. Doubly so since it's supposedly set in the 32nd century? I guess Disco really is the bridge for this show…

Either way I'm very happy we have had good "NuTrek" for as long as we have. And SNW isn't over yet. Hopefully the section 31 movie is a blast too.

Nov 27, 2020
Ah. I dont think I remember that then, or didn't associate it with that episode? Binging does horrible things for remembering anything
They also returned to the planet where Pike fought the Warrior in The Cage illusion in SNW S2.

If anything, I kind of expect the series to end with Pike entering the room he has his accident that puts in the beep chair. Or maybe a post "Menagerie" coda that shows a happier end for him.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
They also returned to the planet where Pike fought the Warrior in The Cage illusion in SNW S2.

If anything, I kind of expect the series to end with Pike entering the room he has his accident that puts in the beep chair. Or maybe a post "Menagerie" coda that shows a happier end for him.

Ok here's the problem. I'm only on episode 4 of season 2. I thought I saw the whole thing. lol.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like that lost 3 Foot TOS Enterprise model that resurfaced several months ago was authenticated and returned to the Rodenberry family.

Pretty cool that it's been recovered after all this time and in reasonably good shape. The nacelles look like they suffer the same issue so many old Enterprise models do, but that probably shouldn't surprise anyone who has ever tried building their own lol.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Season 2 of Strange New Worlds is super duper good. Four episodes in and loved pretty much all of them.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm right there with you. Hadn't watched a lot of old Trek as an adult, and Discovery was my gateway drug back into the whole universe. I'm rewatching all of Disco with my wife right now and I still just love it a lot. I don't think I could get my wife to sit through multiple episodes of old Trek like I can with Discovery and a lot of that has to do with how well it manages to do Trek stories in a modern TV format. Hoping to get through the rewatch soon so I can start on season 5. I'm going to be sad to see it go.
Hi, checking in! Caught up with Disco, and it was and remains one of my favorite Trek series, except...

Strange New Worlds came out of nowhere and shoved it out of the way. I'm still here for Saru's love life and anything Cleveland Booker. But I'm only at like Episode 8 of Season 1, but every single episode has been a banger. It doesn't retroactively make DIS worse or anything -- it's just that SNW came in hot and kept firing on all cylinders in a way that makes me smile every single episode. But I'm not here to start a war on either series' account, but rather ask a question, which you indirectly raised with your reply to me.

My partner likes science fiction. We religiously watched Foundation and For All Mankind, for example. But she's never seen Star Trek. Is SNW the best starting point? I have blinders on, since I know these characters and basically understand the nostalgic references (even though I've never seen but a single episode of TOS and only saw the TOS movies with Kirstie Alley and the other one with the whale).

It almost feels like Discovery Season 2 is important to watch before beginning SNW S1, since Pike's fate is crucial to his character. As much as I'd love to go back to the well with TNG or DS9, it'd have to be a curated list to sift through the fodder, whereas SNW has none (so far at least).

Anyone in a similar predicament?

Either way, it feels like we're feasting!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, checking in! Caught up with Disco, and it was and remains one of my favorite Trek series, except...

Strange New Worlds came out of nowhere and shoved it out of the way. I'm still here for Saru's love life and anything Cleveland Booker. But I'm only at like Episode 8 of Season 1, but every single episode has been a banger. It doesn't retroactively make DIS worse or anything -- it's just that SNW came in hot and kept firing on all cylinders in a way that makes me smile every single episode. But I'm not here to start a war on either series' account, but rather ask a question, which you indirectly raised with your reply to me.

My partner likes science fiction. We religiously watched Foundation and For All Mankind, for example. But she's never seen Star Trek. Is SNW the best starting point? I have blinders on, since I know these characters and basically understand the nostalgic references (even though I've never seen but a single episode of TOS and only saw the TOS movies with Kirstie Alley and the other one with the whale).

It almost feels like Discovery Season 2 is important to watch before beginning SNW S1, since Pike's fate is crucial to his character. As much as I'd love to go back to the well with TNG or DS9, it'd have to be a curated list to sift through the fodder, whereas SNW has none (so far at least).

Any series can be her first, don't overthink it. Getting references is a little goodie for longtime fans but not essential.

But I will say that you should forget the idea of curated lists for TNG and DS9. Everybody likes different things and even episodes generally considered bad by the fandom have their fans, I'll never not like Sub Rosa for example. Is it good? Absolutely not but it's a lot of fun to watch.
Let her find out for herself if you ever get to the older shows.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that a lot of classic episodes only work with some of the context and don't hit as hard in a vacuum. I'm sure The Visitor on its own is a fine episode, but it relies on an understanding of the characters and their relationships with each other.

With the way Paramount is pulling back commitment I suspect Academy will help decide what happens next.

If the numbers are good, we see another 32nd century show. Maybe with some Discovery characters shifted to it ala Tilly in Academy.

If not they'll pull back and stick with SNW.

Or if they still want to maintain two shows, that may trigger the "Legacy" idea of a 25th century show.

With the pacing and economics of streaming I do think we won't see any shows running as long as they used to. I've enjoyed the production scale and quality of the new Trek era to be sure. But it's still unfortunate in a way. Trek breathed with 22 episode seasons that allowed for low key bottle episodes.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Any series can be her first, don't overthink it. Getting references is a little goodie for longtime fans but not essential.

But I will say that you should forget the idea of curated lists for TNG and DS9. Everybody likes different things and even episodes generally considered bad by the fandom have their fans, I'll never not like Sub Rosa for example. Is it good? Absolutely not but it's a lot of fun to watch.
Let her find out for herself if you ever get to the older shows.
You're absolutely right. And I also enjoyed Sub Rosa, for what it's worth.

It's just easier to sell a 10-episode season versus longer runs! (I just can't imagine introducing someone via all of season 1 of TNG, for instance.)

On that note, maybe I should stop overthinking it, like you said: SNW really is the perfect entry point.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I also sorta got into Trek through SNW. Growing up I watched TNG occasionally and saw some of the movies, but SNW was the first time I sat down and watched a series with purpose. Then I went to TNG.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It's just easier to sell a 10-episode season versus longer runs! (I just can't imagine introducing someone via all of season 1 of TNG, for instance.)
TNG is episodic, there's no need to sell her on an entire season and I'm also not sure anymore TNG season 1 that bad. It doesn't compare to the later seasons but there's a YouTube channel called Target Audience and they're watching Star Trek for the first time, they were warned the first two seasons of TNG were bad but actually really enjoyed them, not every episode but overall they think it's a pretty good show.
Maybe the fandom has told itself those early seasons are mostly crap a bit too long, I used to believe it too but I recently watched a few episodes and they're actually not bad.

But SNW is probably a better entry point. It's classic Star Trek in new clothes. I hope she likes it if she watches it.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I got my wife into Trek with Enterprise after we finished For All Mankind season 3 last year. She loved it surprisingly. Then we went onto TNG while watching the TOS movies in between.

We're about to finish season 7 of TNG and will move onto DS9.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
TNG is episodic, there's no need to sell her on an entire season and I'm also not sure anymore TNG season 1 that bad. It doesn't compare to the later seasons but there's a YouTube channel called Target Audience and they're watching Star Trek for the first time, they were warned the first two seasons of TNG were bad but actually really enjoyed them, not every episode but overall they think it's a pretty good show.
Maybe the fandom has told itself those early seasons are mostly crap a bit too long, I used to believe it too but I recently watched a few episodes and they're actually not bad.

But SNW is probably a better entry point. It's classic Star Trek in new clothes. I hope she likes it if she watches it.
Having watched all of TNG a few months ago, season 1 is certainly stilted and has its poor episodes (Code Of Honor among others), but I enjoyed it as camp sci-fi. The later seasons are obviously better and have more nuanced storytelling but at no point watching S1/2 I thought "this is too hard to sit through, I can't take anymore." But I generally approached TNG as being a product of its time more than anything.

But yes SNW is a perfect intro to the franchise. Very approachable and boils down Trek to its essentials.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017

Ha! I'm on the same journey you are on. Finally working my way through Strange New Worlds and I'm just in love with it. It's a fucking perfect show. Everything I love about Disco is here, and everything I love about classic Trek is too. Such a charismatic cast, and the production values are just bonkers.

I'm one episode away from finishing my first watch of Voyager. I've been watching it week to week to keep up with the Greatest Generation podcast. I'm really not looking forward to Enterprise, which is the next show they are moving on to when they finish recapping Voyager. I'm sure I'll like it because I pretty much love any flavor of Star Trek, but I know it's a step down from TNG/DS9/VOY.

Nov 27, 2020
Ha! I'm on the same journey you are on. Finally working my way through Strange New Worlds and I'm just in love with it. It's a fucking perfect show. Everything I love about Disco is here, and everything I love about classic Trek is too. Such a charismatic cast, and the production values are just bonkers.

I'm one episode away from finishing my first watch of Voyager. I've been watching it week to week to keep up with the Greatest Generation podcast. I'm really not looking forward to Enterprise, which is the next show they are moving on to when they finish recapping Voyager. I'm sure I'll like it because I pretty much love any flavor of Star Trek, but I know it's a step down from TNG/DS9/VOY.
I'd say it's more of a lateral move from Voyager. Enterprise does actually fix some of the issues Voyager has, while introducing some new ones. There's a lot of good in Enterprise, and a lot of not so good, but at the very least the change in setting mixes things up a bit and can feel fresh when they embrace it.

Just be aware that S1 and 2 have quite a few episodes that are still just TNG/VOY episodes with the names changed. Lol