Is Reyes a bonehead?

• Yes

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Most new mangaka are going to have their series influence by Naruto, Demon Slayer, and JJK cause those are the series with the straight forward Shonen formula they are trying to emulate success from, One Piece is a Adventure story and most of those stories fall on the fantasy genre ( which is currently being plagued by self insert isekai) and a another pirate story would feel blatant ( unless you do what Mashima did and make it basically space pirates)

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
One Piece too good to successfully imitate. It is too much work, thats why all the newcomers are copying manga like Naruto or Bleach. 🧐

Quick, and if you are lucky, easy path to that standard shonen battle gravy train.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely stating the obvious here I suppose, but while obviously having a lot of straightforward series you inspired is really cool and basically a badge of honor, but it's not the end-be-all

The quality of said inspiration is what matters most. Oda would still be considered a legend regardless

I couldn't tell you why more Japanese authors don't more blatantly follow in OP's footsteps (maybe it's harder than it looks without following the pirate template, maybe it happens more naturally once the series has ended, idk), it is what is tho

Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone want to make a manga that's very similar to One Piece when the manga hasn't ended yet?

It seems pretty obvious to me that no currently running manga in Jump is going to have the mangaka outright say that they were influenced by the top dog of the magazine right now.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
the influence thing can be fun but gets dragged down when people get too serious about it. I know people like to talk about Dragon Balls influence on Naruto for instance. But Kishimoto's interviews over the years made it pretty clear we never get Naruto if he didn't start reading Blade of the Immortal back in college. Which should be obvious since Kakashi and Iruka's designs are taken wholesale from that manga lol. But that stuff tends to get forgotten so the idea of a legacy can be built for certain manga.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
the influence thing can be fun but gets dragged down when people get too serious about it. I know people like to talk about Dragon Balls influence on Naruto for instance. But Kishimoto's interviews over the years made it pretty clear we never get Naruto if he didn't start reading Blade of the Immortal back in college. Which should be obvious since Kakashi and Iruka's designs are taken wholesale from that manga lol. But that stuff tends to get forgotten so the idea of a legacy can be built for certain manga.
I've been watching the original Kinnikuman and I wonder how some people would react if they realized how much Toriyama straight up lifted from it. Genuinely don't think the battle shonen genre exists in a recognizable format without Kinnikuman, especially the series that lean heavily on humor/slapstick like Dragon Ball and One Piece.

Lordfifth

Jul 31, 2022

It's pretty obvious what manga is Influenced by one piece.

Undead unlucky is an extremely obvious one, one of the main character's design is smoker in another artstyle (the author himself said so)

Also the Yakuza like a dragon game is stated by the creator to be his take on one piece games.

"In an interview with Crunchyroll, Yokoyama, looked back fondly on Yakuza: Like a Dragon, stating that writing the game was his take on a One Piece game. "I've never really talked about this before, so I'm not sure if I should just go for it now, but for Yakuza: Like a Dragon I was really, really inspired by One Piece. To me, Ichiban is basically Luffy. And around him there's Zoro and Nami and basically the rest of the party, you know? One Piece's party composition was on my mind so much during writing that it was a massive influence," said Yokoyama"

Its just one piece fans aren't so desperate for relevance that they spread every interview claiming their series as an influence to every corner of Twitter

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Birthday is coming up and the family is bugging me asking what I want for my birthday and decided I just want physical manga

Got the DB manga boxset on sale and will probably ask for Chainsaw Man part 1 too

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
This thing about being influential just feels like a bunch of desperate fans looking for clout in some way. Because of that desperation, people miss what makes a show influential in the first place: it needs to end for it to start influencing others.

During DB's run, you didn't see any series that directly took inspiration from it. It took a few years before stuff like OP, Naruto and Bleach came out. When Bleach and Naruto were still ongoing, you didn't see any shows taking direct inspiration from them. It took a few years before Jujutsu Kaisen and Kagurabachi to hit.

When One Piece is finally finished in 50 years time, it'll take a few years after that before we finally see shows that directly take inspiration from it. But by then we'll all be dead due to climate change or Japan won't have enough people to be mangaka anymore thanks to the low birthrate. So I guess One Piece will never be influential. Alas.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Megan thee stallion referencing Boa on IG 👀

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
During DB's run, you didn't see any series that directly took inspiration from it.
latest

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
NEW KENDRICK AGAIN LET'S GO
The hate feeds me
Yeah just stung extra coz one of the cops was black and they didn't sweat any of the other like 12 folks on the platform. And as if just circumstantially it wasn't obvious enough I got The Vibe™️ in my gut

When they say ACAB they really right
Glad you're not hurt at least, typical PD being assholes instead of actually solving any problems if its like my city

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I've been watching the original Kinnikuman and I wonder how some people would react if they realized how much Toriyama straight up lifted from it. Genuinely don't think the battle shonen genre exists in a recognizable format without Kinnikuman, especially the series that lean heavily on humor/slapstick like Dragon Ball and One Piece.
If I remember right Kinnikuman is so influential it was the one that pioneered what we consider arcs in manga. Still gotta read it it's been on my list forever.

Getting hit with blatant racial profiling by cops at the train station is a sure fire way to ruin an evening y'all

Ay same bro
Fuck cops and I'm glad you ok.

I've done it thanks to twitter we have our One Piece legacy.

View: https://twitter.com/n8tbyte/status/1786385952618733645?s=46&t=Z-u4FnzKS0bXsuAarHcTYA

This makes sense when you think about it. Nobody hooks up in One Piece so it's the perfect venue to realize you should make a harem series

(the rest of this thread is pretty funny as twitter wars get very sensitive about this lol)

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
If I remember right Kinnikuman is so influential it was the one that pioneered what we consider arcs in manga. Still gotta read it it's been on my list forever.

Fuck cops and I'm glad you ok.

I've done it thanks to twitter we have our One Piece legacy.

View: https://twitter.com/n8tbyte/status/1786385952618733645?s=46&t=Z-u4FnzKS0bXsuAarHcTYA

This makes sense when you think about it. Nobody hooks up in One Piece so it's the perfect venue to realize you should make a harem series

(the rest of this thread is pretty funny as twitter wars get very sensitive about this lol)

May not have been a pirate, but knew the correct ship to pick