• Yes

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Fishman Island gotta be one of the odder arcs in One Piece. Great themes, fun designs, and an interesting exploration of Fishmen. But on the flip side. I think it's probably one of the least funny arcs in the series and has some really weak action for being the grand return. I feel like a lot of it could be excused if Hody was more interesting to fight. But he's the way he is for a reason and ya can't really change that.

Now excuse me as I wait for Dougie to tell us when his dad finishes Punk Hazard.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I am a little more lenient on Fishman Island now vs when I first read it, but I still think as far as major One Piece arcs go it's definitely one of the weakest. I generally think of Fishman through Dressrosa as being the low point of the manga.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I am a little more lenient on Fishman Island now vs when I first read it, but I still think as far as major One Piece arcs go it's definitely one of the weakest. I generally think of Fishman through Dressrosa as being the low point of the manga.
Agreed, going from that to Zou/Wholecake/Wano and now Egghead feels like such an insane uphill imo. And even more if we throw in the "outside arc updates" that we've been getting more frequently.

Oct 25, 2017
Fishmen will be yet another arc superior in the live action thanks to the Sanji cleanup, but even more so with the return of McKinley as Arlong.
bro got crumpled up like a piece of notebook paper back in wano and got back up like it was nothing. being hella durable is his thing moving forward imo, a horsebite ain't gonna do shit
Would be a little too convenient if every strawhat made it out unscathed esp with the first encounter with the Elders, there's usually some hardcore recovering out of every arc for the big hitters. But yeah doubting it will be Sanji with his germa traits.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Agreed, going from that to Zou/Wholecake/Wano and now Egghead feels like such an insane uphill imo. And even more if we throw in the "outside arc updates" that we've been getting more frequently.
I distinctly remember on my first read getting to Zou and feeling like "this is the One Piece I remember." I still felt that way on reread a few months ago.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Fishman Island gotta be one of the odder arcs in One Piece. Great themes, fun designs, and an interesting exploration of Fishmen. But on the flip side. I think it's probably one of the least funny arcs in the series and has some really weak action for being the grand return. I feel like a lot of it could be excused if Hody was more interesting to fight. But he's the way he is for a reason and ya can't really change that.

Now excuse me as I wait for Dougie to tell us when his dad finishes Punk Hazard.
Hody isn't weak for just thematic reasons. The fight against the New Fishman Pirates is supposed to be a juxtaposition against our own expectations of what the Strawhats can do. Prior to the timeskip they'd seriously struggle to deal with the antagonists in the Fishman Island arc. Hody and his goons were legit the biggest threat they had faced, as a crew, in the series outside of Aokiji and Kizaru. Beyond that the bad guys had a huge homefield advantage. They'd have been screwed on multiple occasions and getting the W would have put them in a worse position than when they finally beat Moria during Thriller Bark. The action would have been crazy pre-timeskip. However, by having the Strawhats totally steamroll these guys without any real effort we get shown how much stronger they were after the timeskip.

All this could definitely have been better communicated to us as readers though.

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Hody having to do a drug PSA at the same time really just makes you remember his weak fate.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Hody isn't weak for just thematic reasons. The fight against the New Fishman Pirates is supposed to be a juxtaposition against our own expectations of what the Strawhats can do. Prior to the timeskip they'd seriously struggle to deal with the antagonists in the Fishman Island arc. Hody and his goons were legit the biggest threat they had faced, as a crew, in the series outside of Aokiji and Kizaru. Beyond that the bad guys had a huge homefield advantage. They'd have been screwed on multiple occasions and getting the W would have put them in a worse position than when they finally beat Moria during Thriller Bark. The action would have been crazy pre-timeskip. However, by having the Strawhats totally steamroll these guys without any real effort we get shown how much stronger they were after the timeskip.

All this could definitely have been better communicated to us as readers though.
How did you get Hody is weak from me saying he wasn't interesting to fight lol

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I'll never understand animes obsession with making their main characters look stupid as fuck for an entire arc.

This davy back fight arc is going to break me.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
It's in my list of least favorite arcs for sure. The concept is dope but the execution was…poor. The ending saves it from being the worst arc but it's close

Yeah I'm sure it will end with a "actually they haven't been incompetant dipshits for 12 episodes after all!" moment, but god am I eager to get it over with lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dressrosa

I'm sure y'all know why lol

Nope

I'll never understand animes obsession with making their main characters look stupid as fuck for an entire arc.

This davy back fight arc is going to break me.

What in particular are you referring to?

Oh wow nice, not that bad for Rebirth after a-

Oh nvm, it's actually at #14...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I cant stand Davy Back. I love both Dressrossa and Punk Hazard. Then again in DR I adore the arena stuff, plus I love Doflamingo so that sure helps. Punk Hazzard... no idea, there's just a few bits I really enjoyed. The bit toward the end where the one "giant" kid
almost kills herself scoffing down all the candy to save everyone else went hard

Problem is, I cant stand the villains in that Davy Back arc, which kinda ruins the entire thing for me. My sole moment I enjoyed in it is some of the Robin/Chopper interactions. That's it.

Maybe square should start putting their games on all platforms
I still legit dont get people who think this wont help. Not saying it'll set the series on fire sales wise, but to me its undeniable that it'd help - doing them day to date specifically. We've already seen RPGs do better that way, we see Capcom and Sony seeing success with this, but apparently no it wont help Square... I swear certain "fans" would rather see series fail before seeing them go multi platform.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I look back on the Davy Back Arc fondly because there was an AMV around the Luffy vs Foxy fight set to a Skindred song and I thought that was really cool.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Dressrosa

I'm sure y'all know why lol
World renowned God Usopp hater
Not that I find any arc in OP bad or terrible but my least favs are Dressrosa and more recently Wano.
I love the long arcs but I know I'm in the minority on that one lol. Props of being a binger
Punk Hazard. I would rewatch/reread Davy Back Fight 100x over that
Get out and don't come back Rosebud
They're right tho..