Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Make sure y'all are picking up Erica Hendersons 40 page Harley Quinn Annual out this week.
[/QUOTE]

Wait Squirrel Girl Erica Henderson?
Fuck yeah I'm in

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Top 10 Non-Cape Comics of the Week

1. The Whisper Queen #1 (Chip Zdarsky and Kris Anka) -- Image
2. What's the Furthest Place From Here? #18 (Matthew Rosenberg and Tyler Boss) -- Image
3. Kaya #18 (Wes Craig) -- Image
4. Parliament of Rooks #5 (Abigail Jill Harding and Richard Starkings) -- ComiXology Originals
5. Minor Threats: The Fastest Way Down #2 (Patton Oswald, Jordan Blum, and Scott Hepburn) -- Dark Horse
6. Bear Pirate Viking King #1 (Sean Lewis and Jonathan Barravecchia) -- Image
7. The Blood Brothers Mother #1 (Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso) -- DSTLRY
8. Barbaric: Born in Blood #1 (Michael Moreci and Nathan Gooden) -- Vault
9. Toxic Summer #1 (Derek Charm) -- Oni Press
10. Crave #6 (Maria Llovet) -- Image

Lots of #1s this week!

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
sDQzTuh.png

UnTAb6f.png

oMMXtX9.png

dpPPJqp.png

WZG7vy1.png

The Boy Wonder #1 By Juni Ba - The young prince Damian Wayne was raised to be the heir to the fearsome League of Assassins—to follow in the footsteps of his deadly mother, Talia, and the Demon's Head himself, his grandfather Ra's al Ghul. But everything changed when his father, the Batman, reclaimed him and brought him back to Gotham City. As Robin, young Damian suddenly discovered he was merely one of a number of princes, preceded in the role by his "brothers" Nightwing, Red Hood, and Red Robin…and Damian doesn't care to be merely anything. But when his father is forced to leave the city on urgent business, and a rash of abductions is accompanied by whispers of a demon stalking Gotham's dark alleys, Damian will find himself battling alongside his adoptive brothers—and in the process, learning what the mantle of Robin really means!

Nightwing #114 By Taylor, Redondo - The Eisner Award-winning duo of Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo reunite to tell Nightwing's greatest story yet. The culmination of Heartless's sabotage on Nightwing reaches its dramatic climax when Nightwing loses his ability to leap, impeding his duties to be the superhero we know and love.

Batman #147 By Zdarsky, Jimenez - With no allies, no weapons, and almost no hope…can Batman fight back before Zur makes a true devil's bargain? The world is about to know Zur's true power! Him and…his new sidekick? "Dark Prisons" continues!

Poison Ivy #22 By Wilson, Takara - The end times are upon Pamela Isley. The rotten seeds she has sown across America have come home to roost, and her greatest enemy has torn himself from her flesh. With the verdant villainess on death's door, is there any hope…for the rest of the world, or has the reign of Dr. Jason Woodrue, the Floronic Man, begun?

Harley Quinn #40 By Howard, Bustos - Driving laws, etiquette, common sense? WHO NEEDS 'EM. Dat's right, you finks! I'm continuing my greatest higher education-motivated research assignment to date—being bad! And if that wasn't enough GETTING SCHOOLED for ya in one issue, my collegiate best friends for life forever and always, Grace Ellis and Hannah Templer, have joined forces to tell the true story of the time I dreamed I was sent back ta school! You'll be calling me Harley Dangerfield by the end of this one on account of all the respect yer gonna be giving me!

Catwoman #65 By Howard, Di Giandomenico - Catwoman is dead meat. With a certifiable cutthroat and cannibalistic cabal of criminals converging on Catwoman, the feline femme fatale finds herself searching the ends of the earth for an ally in her struggle. But first she'll have to escape from her current predicament: a deadly black site prison.

Birds of Prey #9 By Thomson and Various - If the Birds of Prey have one mission, it's "protect Barbara Gordon at all costs," and that mission is…not going great. Dinah and her team search for Barbara in this strange new world that seems specifically designed to trip them up. Many mysteries lurk in the dark of this world, and some of them don't even want to kill you…probably.

Action Comics #1065 By Williamson, Sandoval - Superman and Lobo have their hands full with Brainiac's Lobo army, so it's up to Supergirl and Conner Kent to stop Brainiac himself! It's an impossible battle, but they are joined by some unexpected and deadly allies!

Wonder Woman #9 By King, Sampere, Ortega - The ultimate test! As Sovereign's grip on Wonder Woman's psyche tightens, she retreats into the arms of Steve Trevor. Will their love for the ages prove victorious over the web of Amazon lies weaved in Man's World? Plus, Trinity lets the dogs out!

Titans #11 By Taylor, Meyer - After a literal deal with the devil, Waller turns things up a notch! With the help of the twisted Doctor Morrow, she has now created an ultimate weapon capable of taking down all the Titans. Can the team survive themselves?

xeLeXLb.png

YUcmfn1.png
lXtZhPy.png

Blood Hunt #1 By MacKay, Larazz - THE BLOODIEST MARVEL EVENT EVER! The skies have gone dark, the sun hiding its face from the carnage to come. The children of the night, the vampires, have risen from the dark and hidden places of the world as one to drown the Marvel Universe in blood. Earth's final night has fallen - can even the heroes of this doomed world stem the tide of blood that is to come?

Doom #1 By Hickman, Greene - Legendary creators Jonathan Hickman (ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, G.O.D.S.) and Sanford Greene (Bitter Root) send Doctor Doom on a journey unlike any he has undertaken before! With Valeria Richards at his side, Doom goes on a quest to harness more power than any human has ever wielded before in order to try to stop Galactus from bringing about the death of the universe!

Amazing Spider-Man #50 By Various - THE GREEN GOBLIN RETURNS in this landmark and massive issue of ASM that boasts not only a double-sized main story but some instant Spider-Man classics by legends and legends to be! The Sins of Norman Osborn have found their way home and Norman shows his true color – green. But is it truly that simple? Spidey and Gobby's brutal fight is one for the ages and you don't want to miss this ending. PLUS! MARV WOLFMAN RETURNS TO SPIDER-MAN! NIKESH SHUKLA tells a story that will stay with you for a long time. And more!

Strange Academy : Blood Hunt #1 By Older, Zagaria - The vampire onslaught of BLOOD HUNT reaches worldwide all the way down to NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, home of the STRANGE ACADEMY! DOYLE DORMAMMU, SHAYLEE, TOTH, ZOE, GERMÁN get embroiled in an adventure that will take them around the Marvel Universe and right into the center of the BLOOD HUNT action! That's right, the kids from the best new series of the decade find themselves at center stage of the Marvel event of 2024!

Ultimate Spider-Man #5 By Hickman, Checchetto - How does the heir apparent of Oscorp become a masked vigilante? And what does Green Goblin know of the true status of the world he lives in? All and more will be revealed!

Ultimate X-Men #3 By Peach Momoko - Maystorm's origin! Mei Igarashi was a regular girl until she discovered her unusual abilities and her hair changed from brown to white… And how she came to idolize a mysterious freedom fighter in Africa who also harnesses the power of the storm!

Hellverine #1 By Percy, Ohta - Because you demanded it – the return of the HELLVERINE! When a DEMONIC FORCE known as BAGRA-GHUL first came to earth, it brought LOGAN and GHOST RIDER together to hunt it before it possessed WOLVERINE. But now, in the present day, what event will put the Hellverine back on the streets…and is he slashing his hellfire claws for good or evil? And, introducing the ALL-NEW HELLFIRE WARRIORS!

Get Fury #1 By Ennis, Burrows - It's 1971, there is a war raging in Vietnam, and Nick Fury has been captured by the Viet Cong. At this moment, they don't quite understand that they have in their possession a man who knows enough secrets to damage the United States beyond comprehension. The C.I.A., however, DOES realize this and they can't risk their enemy getting those secrets, so they dispatch the most deadly man in the U.S. Army – LT. FRANK CASTLE.

Giant Size X-Men #1By Queen Nocenti, Ferguson - A mysterious card has lured the dashing Warren Worthington III, A.K.A.. ANGEL of the X-MEN, to a quiet New York City street…where he will undergo a torturous trial unlike any he's ever faced before! A brand-new villain has it out for mutantkind – and aims to start by knocking Angel out of the sky!

Mq4Hw3s.png

uHbjZei.png

JGfwffS.png

Sunstone Vol 8 Stjepan Sejic - Loving someone means building a shrine within your heart dedicated to them. A shrine made of good memories and treasured moments. As the MERCY arc reaches its third installment, Anne is about to find the shrine of her heart ransacked by none other than the person it was devoted to.
As for Ally and Alan, they find themselves straining as a risky hobby grows into an obsession and threatens to destroy all other aspects of their lives. A friendship is about to be put to a test that it may just end up failing. Welcome to the SUNSTONE, VOL. 8. Time to grow up.

Ain't no Grave #1 By Young, Corona - Ryder put her violent past behind her when she fell in love and became a mother. But that was before she learned it was all going to be taken away. Now she'll have to pick up her guns once again and ride to kill the one who's behind the threat. Which just happens to be Death.

Energon Universe #1 By Various - A special new printing of ENERGON UNIVERSE FCBD 2024 SPECIAL featuring three all new stories from the Energon Universe, with stunning revelations for the worlds of TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE, and VOID RIVALS from the biggest names in comics.

Grommets #1 By Remender, Parson - Two best-friend outcasts navigate the Sacramento suburbs of 1984, where they find a home in skateboard culture and punk rock. On one side of the coin, GROMMETS is an authentic look at '80s skater culture, a snapshot of the generation that turned skating into a worldwide phenomenon. On the other, it's a heartfelt coming-of-age story that follows two friends from troubled homes as they navigate their damage in an era when no one cared.

I Hate Fairyland #14 By Young, Bean - Here's the thing about Gert...she's never WRONG, okay? Especially when it comes to Gertlins. I'm sure she has a perfectly good explanation for why she would allow an invasion of these tiny Gert gremlin monsters to take over all of Fairyland. Right? RIGHT?! Cough...

Kaya #18 By Wes Craig - The city erupts in violence between the rebels and the King's army. Caught in the middle, Kaya makes a fateful decision that will set her and Jin on a dangerous new direction. Hearts are broken and fates are sealed in the explosive conclusion to The Temple of Shazir!

Transformers #8 By Johnson, Corona - As the Autobots and Decepticons make some tough choices to survive on Earth, the return of SPOILER will change the war on Cybertron forever.

The Sacrificers #8 By Remender, Fiumara - Pigeon makes his way to Noom's seaside village only to find it engulfed in the chaos created by Luna's disappearance. He will come to comprehend the true power of Aquatica, the Lord of Water, as he struggles in vain to suppress the angry seas.

Worldtree #10 By Tynion, Blanco - Ellison Lane had never heard of Gabriel Winter before a seemingly chance encounter at a police station. But it's becoming increasingly clear Gabriel Winter never left anything to chance—and he's been influencing the entire Lane family for years. Was he trying to save the world…or using the Lanes as pawns in a game that only Gabriel Winter truly understood?

jYhJ6HW.png

HeGBzO0.png

Chainsaw Man Vol 15 By Fujimoto - As a primal fear devil makes its appearance, the world may soon be turned upside down. This devil has the power to drive a wedge between Asa and Yoru-can the two of them manage to work together to avoid becoming a meal for the residents of hell?

Blue Box Vol 10 By Miura - After a hectic shopping date, Taiki takes Chinatsu to watch a beautiful sunset. With this perfect atmosphere, Taiki is preparing to tell her something important-when he's interrupted by Chinatsu's former teammate! The venom Yumeka unleashes on Chinatsu leaves Taiki stunned. Who exactly is Yumeka, and what ruined her seemingly unbreakable friendship with Chinatsu?

Oshi no Ko Vol 6 By Akasaka - The 2.5D Play Arc draws closer to the main event! The original creator of the Tokyo Blade manga, Abiko Samejima, rejected all the theatrical scripts by the writer, GOA. But they've finally reached an agreement-and the result is a script sharply focused on the actors' performances?! Aqua Hoshino, who had been seeking out "emotional acting," will have to face his deep trauma surrounding Ai...?
Can't wait for Juni Ba's Robin

Thanks for the OT!!

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure y'all are picking up Erica Hendersons 40 page Harley Quinn Annual out this week.

I can't imagine Henderson has any desire or need to go back to the monthly comics grind, but if she did an arc or something on Harley I'd buy it. The annual was a ton of fun.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Henderson has any desire or need to go back to the monthly comics grind, but if she did an arc or something on Harley I'd buy it. The annual was a ton of fun.

I think she's making bank on those ogns but yeah she really gets Harley without going to the usual stuff people do. Plus I adore her art.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think she's making bank on those ogns but yeah she really gets Harley without going to the usual stuff people do. Plus I adore her art.

Yeah it seems like her and Alex de Campi always have something cooking now, which isn't a bad thing! I've loved both their books.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone looking to make an InStockTrades purchase in the immediate future.

lv50cf88o1yc1.jpeg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
They couldnt do 4% off lol. Pretty bummed with the May the 4th "deals" ive seen so far.

The 25th Anniversary Phantom Menace one shot was a bummer too. I want more Qui-gon. I figure the stigma of the prequels has faded some by now.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
They're the best Star Wars so there shouldn't have ever been a stigma tbh

When there's an ongoing book set in the Clone Wars era I'll start buying Marvel Star Wars again.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They couldnt do 4% off lol. Pretty bummed with the May the 4th "deals" ive seen so far.

The 25th Anniversary Phantom Menace one shot was a bummer too. I want more Qui-gon. I figure the stigma of the prequels has faded some by now.

There's a new novel out now called the Living Force that's set just before episode 1, I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it am enjoying it quite a bit. It focuses on the Council as a whole on a mission offworld from Coruscant.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
There's a new novel out now called the Living Force that's set just before episode 1, I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it am enjoying it quite a bit. It focuses on the Council as a whole on a mission offworld from Coruscant.
Just picked it up myself! Currently though im reading the Master and Apprentice book. Alil over half way in atm, its a lot of fun.

I like the prequel era a lot, but i havent seen any of the animated series stuff.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked it up myself! Currently though im reading the Master and Apprentice book. Alil over half way in atm, its a lot of fun.

I like the prequel era a lot, but i havent seen any of the animated series stuff.

I haven't read that one, I'll have to check it out.

Clone Wars and Bad Batch are some of my favorite Star Wars releases period. I too love the prequel era.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read that one, I'll have to check it out.

Clone Wars and Bad Batch are some of my favorite Star Wars releases period. I too love the prequel era.
The big hook for the Master and Apprentice book, beyond seeing Qui Gon and Obi Wan together, is that it delves into Qui Gon's deal with prophecy.

Oct 29, 2017
BLOODHUNT was cool, curious enough to keep reading it

Vengeance of Moon Knight was cool too. I wonder if this event will end with the proper MK returning now...

Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping Hulk. Just not grabbing me anymore.

Immortal Thor was pretty fun, shame the art wasn't so hot on this issue.

SpiralEngine

Jul 6, 2023
Holy shit man. I'm a bit of a defender of Frank Miller's art (not his beliefs), but Miller + Alex Sinclair doing Uncle Scrooge has to be one of the most dogshit covers I've ever seen in my life.

That Destroyer Duck cover is way cooler, no contest.

I feel like you've probably made it as an artist once people start saying "it's probably shit on purpose" about most of your work past a certain time period.

View: https://twitter.com/tomscioli/status/1786425121009262921

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Walked to Target on my lunch and picked up the exclusive cover edition of Batman The Winning Card. Usually $20 for what amounts to an oversized floppy is a bit steep but I loved the story and art and the fact it's hardcover with an exclusive cover was too good a get.

Last edited:

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Any reccomendations for FCBD? Open to whatever I can get.
Are you interested in (I'll tag red the comics folk seem to have been excited about):

Marvel and DC?
Teens+

-- Absolute Power #1 (DC)
-- Barda #1 (DC)
-- Mad Magazine #1 (DC)
-- Blood Hunt X-Men #1 (Marvel)
-- Ultimate Universe Spider-Man #1 (Marvel)
-- Star Wars #1 (Marvel)
-- Marvel Voices #1 (Marvel)
All Ages
-- Barkham Asylum #1 (DC)
-- Spidey and His Amazing Friends #1 (Marvel)
-- Star Wars Young Jedi Adventures & Plants vs. Zombies (Dark Horse)

Non-Marvel and DC Big Brands?
Teens+

-- Energon Universe Special (Image)
-- Hellboy & Stranger Things (Dark Horse)
-- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (IDW)
-- Street Fighter vs. Final Fight #1
-- Doctor Who Fifteenth Doctor
All Ages
-- Disney's Encanto & Turning Red: The New Adventures (Papercutz)
-- Maleficent (Dynamite)
-- The Loud House Special (Papercutz)
-- Snoopy Beagle Scout Adventures)

Mature Content?
-- The Worlds of James Tynion IV (Boom)
-- Conan the Barbarian: Battle of the Black Stone (Titan Comics)
-- Dying Inside (Vault)
-- Gannibal (Ablaze)
-- Overstreet Guide to Collecting Comics (Gemstone)

Manga?
Teens+

-- One Piece Ace's Story & Status Royale (Viz Media)
-- Initial D & Kaina of Great Snow (Kodansha)
All Ages
-- Pokemon Adventures: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire & Splatoon 3 (Viz Media)
-- Unico Awakening

Got Kids?
-- Investigators Class Action Sneak Peek (First Second)
-- Boom Box 10th Anniversary (Boom)
-- Katie the Catsitter & Max Meows (Random House Childrens)
-- Night Librarian (Penguin Young Readers)
Girl-Coded
-- Unicorn Crush (Andrews McMeel)
-- Witches of Brooklyn (Random House Childrens)
-- Monster High (IDW)
Boys-Coded
-- Eye Lie Popeye #1 (Massive)
-- Ultra Duck (Arcana)
-- Asterix (Papercutz)

Got Teens?
-- Gatchaman #0 (Mad Cave)
-- Far Cry: Cull the Herd (Tokyopop)
-- Flash Gordon #0 (Mad Cave)
-- The Valiants & Ninjak vs. Roku (Valiant)
-- Tons of STRANGE (10 Ton Press)
-- Romeo vs. Juliet: A Kill Shakespeare Adventure (Gemstone)
-- CursedVerse (American Mythology)
-- Archie Horror's The Cursed Library Prelude (Archie Comics)
-- Jonny Quest (Dynamite)

Last edited:

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Im at my comic shop and only 1 other person in line. I haven't gone in years, but back then it used to be packed. Opens in under an hour.

These are the ones I am after:
Absolute Power
-Sketch variant
-Foil Variant

Barkham Asylum

One Piece

Spider-man

TMNT

Star wars young jedi

Blood Hunt

Initial D

Doctor Who

Energon Universe

Eye Lie popeye

Gannibal

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Just got back from my local comic book shop. I picked these up:

Blood Hunt / X-Men #1
https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/DEC230008

Archie Horror Presents: The Cursed Library Prelude
https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/DEC230017

Stories from the Atlas Comics Library
https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/DEC230021

The Worlds of James Tynion IV
https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/DEC230003

Monster High
https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Catalog/DEC230026

I also bought Blood Hunt #1 ( What an ending! Major spoilers: Blade..................... is the leader of the vampires!?)

and Victory Vol 1 #4.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason my local shop had everything except the Star Wars young Jedi one. They were charging $10 for the foil variant absolute power, and $5 for the sketch variant

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thats crazy. Prices have gone insane. Im surprised comics havent gone up more than they have.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
What card did y'all get with your fun Blood Hunt teeth? My LCS saved me a Jed MacKay card because they (rightly) figured I'd be really charmed by him getting one and want that one.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Had a little fun trip today. Wanted to head up north a bit anyway. Forgot it was FCBD, so picked a shop that I went to last year that I thought was pretty neat. Ended up heading back there and had a quick sidetrack.

20240504_135037.jpg

20240504_134222.jpg

I took a look at the yellow thing was in there and saw this...

20240504_134302.jpg

One of the towns nearby pretty much entirely turns into an event for FCBD. Think of a town out of a Stephen King book that has hundreds of people dressed up checking out all the local shops. The comic book store is TINY and they still packed everything. Here was my haul.

20240504_183414.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Had a little fun trip today. Wanted to head up north a bit anyway. Forgot it was FCBD, so picked a shop that I went to last year that I thought was pretty neat. Ended up heading back there and had a quick sidetrack.

20240504_135037.jpg

20240504_134222.jpg

20240504_134302.jpg

One of the towns nearby pretty much entirely turns into an event for FCBD. Think of a town out of a Stephen King book that has hundreds of people dressed up checking out all the local shops. The comic book store is TINY and they still packed everything. Here was my haul.

20240504_183414.jpg
I love that poster in the middle with the button next to it. Wonder if they are available anywhere online too.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Thats crazy. Prices have gone insane. Im surprised comics havent gone up more than they have.
It's really not out of the ordinary. Especially with incentive covers that require a shop to buy X number of copies to be able to order 1 copy of a variant. Lots of shops will buy them and sell the variant at aftermarket prices.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, after reading Blood Hunt #1, I just double dipped and bought the red band variant version for $50.

Blood Hunt: Red Band (2024) #1 (Variant) | Comic Issues | Marvel

Browse the Marvel Comics issue Blood Hunt: Red Band (2024) #1 (Variant). Learn where to read it, and check out the comic's cover art, variants, writers, & more!
awesome 🤩 glad to see free comic book day struck some excitement for what's currently being published in you. sometimes it's just great to see folk who don't post here often being excited about something they've read. <3

20240504_135037.jpg

20240504_134222.jpg

20240504_134302.jpg

20240504_183414.jpg

Very cool, is that a TMNT #1 up top? First/Second/Third print? I'm jelly