Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think its an insult, just lazy. If you want to pay tribute to someone then you should honor their life, not highlight their death. This just feels cheap and thoughtless.

While I get where you're coming from, these people made a game and probably made someone happy. Not sure there's a more thematically fitting tribute to the big man.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm beginning to think more and more when I see ridiculous stuff like this online that it is some kind of government chaos-agent trying, in some small way, to sow discord and create a culture war. Are there real people legitimately this upset over such minuscule things? With everything that's been going on in the world and the more we learn of governments attempting to do stuff like this, I just don't know what to think anymore. God, the real world is becoming some kind of Cyber-Punk nightmare, and not even in a cool way.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I didn't know that if I go to my local church graveyard that all those thousands of gravestones in there are insulting the death of the people on them.

This thread yikes, everything is offending at least one person these days...

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
imagine being upset about this.... it's just a loving homage to a man who inspired them. How thin does your skin have to be?

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
i do not think it is too insulting. Lazy and devoid of any class, yes, but not insulting or bad mannered.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Probably mentioned already, but I'm pretty sure YIIK was in the development when Iwata passed away, which is likely why the devs decided to pay homage (and because he was a designer for Earthbound, you know one of the games that inspired YIIK)

zaien

Nov 4, 2017
Would like to believe their intentions are good, just the way they presented was terrible.
They could done more research and follow what other devs did. Off the top of my head is how Blizzard honored Stan Lee.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I don't find this insulting as presented in the OP. It's quite bland and lacking in creativity but nothing more.

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Don't forget that one time Square Enix insulted the entire zelda legacy

fe7efc37986c24aeaa638e351c74b94abd1cf3d2_00.jpg

just disgusting
kinda insulting to be honest

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I would be terrified to make any kind of art now-a-days if someone could get upset by this. Come on. This was not done with the intention to harm.

Oct 31, 2017
Hey OP could you list up the other things that insulted you today? I need a barometer to reference so I can tiptoe around any of your other threads in the future.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell the difference between shitposting yo stir controversy and legit just awkward people who get offended by the most random shit.

It's an Easter egg. It's fine.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Yeah, definitely an overreaction here. It's not offensive or anything, just a low effort way to go about it. The only thing I find "wrong" with it is that the gravestone isn't exactly a proper tribute since the game's apparently set in the 90's, yet it's marked for Iwata's death in 2015 2 decades later. Would have been more proper for the guy to be alive in-game somehow.

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
Lol guys I did not expect this to blow up. I should have worded the initial post a bit better. This was all a misunderstanding. - OP if he comes back.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It looks like a gesture to honor someone the dev team appreciated a lot. Just don't in a very plain way. Don't see anything insulting about it, there's no bad jokes or anything it's just his name and dates.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Why is everyone calling it dumb? I don't understand.

It's an easter egg tribute to Iwata - right?

"It doesn't fit with the theme of the game" - Have you played the game? A ton of shit doesn't 'fit'.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think it comes from a good place, I also don't find it insulting.

It's a bit jarring though

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...a bit awkwardly placed, perhaps, but the developers meant no harm with this.

I'm gonna need to update the thread post, should've reworded it better

For those saying "bet OP has fled", they did post this message on page two, but yeah, at this point, they may as well flee (lest they return?...). Pretty big thread backfire.

Wow, man! Those devs raced their OOFsmobiles straight to YIKESville on this one!

Oh, God. I'm going to be the "No Fun Allowed" person with this, but the sheer number of "yiik"es jokes I've seen are making my eye twitch.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Whelp. This is a massive thread backfire.

Also, not insulting. Tacky, sure, never insulting. Unless you don't understand the whole single purpose of gravestones to begin with.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I fail to see the offense, you might say its in bad taste given the timeframe of the setting, but I wont go as far. Chances are that the developers respected him a great deal for his legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.