Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What? Insulting? More like an honorable homage to the man that influenced them.

Like in WoW, there are so many Easter eggs honoring dead devs and fans that made/played the game.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't find it insulting, just a little out of tone (a little too real). gravestones aren't shameful, they are literal tributes to the ones we loved.

Oct 29, 2017
Okay? Generally whenever I see a grave, surrounded by other graves, with a headstone that has a person's name on it I assume the intended implication is that this is their place of rest. Unless it's a memorial I guess.
You finally got there. Congratulations. Yes, it's a memorial.

No one thinks they are implying that he is buried in a fictional video game. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Having the fictional grave doesn't imply that at all. If there was some depiction of the coffin being lowered and covered then maybe I could see your point. When people visit the graves of loved ones, flowers are placed at the tombstones, which are memorials/tributes of who the people were in life. It's has nothing to do with the physical body that's in the earth and literally no one thinks about that. That's why this is inoffensive. What's depicted is the item that's used as a symbol of reverence for the deceased, and that's exactly what this is for.
I feel like in that example flowers or visiting the grave are the symbols of reverence. Not the tombstone. Tombstones aren't really sacred or inherently respectful things. They generally just imply death. Which is why I don't like this. "Satoru Iwata. He's dead." That's all you really get from this.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
it's somewhat awkward, but it's not insulting and you can clearly tell the intent was good.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
It's a free country. They could do what they like. It's not illegal or anything. It is massively disrespectful. Referencing a public figure after their death? Fine. Actually showing their presumed grave where their body is presumably buried? Hey maybe don't do that.

It's a thing that doesn't happen a lot because most people know better.

Presumed grave? What kind of idiot sees the game and thinks it's anything more than a name on a gravestone tribute. This is so absurd.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Insulting, Disrespectful ???
I'm legit shocked, what do people gain at being outraged by literally everything ?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
You finally got there. Congratulations. Yes, it's a memorial.

No one thinks they are implying that he is buried in a fictional video game. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever
The memorial in the game: he had nothing to do with, that says nothing about him other than he's dead, and is diegetically in some guy's backyard? That's a really shitty and insulting memorial. I was thinking of something like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial when I mentioned memorials. Something that doesn't have a literal grave stone on it and pays tribute to what they did in life.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely hilariously awkward as far as homages go. Literally just "hey this guy died".

Game itself doesn't look very good at all, though. Shame, I was sort of looking forward to checking it out.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
The memorial in the game: he had nothing to do with, that says nothing about him other than he's dead, and is diegetically in some guy's backyard? That's a really shitty and insulting memorial. I was thinking of something like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial when I mentioned memorials. Something that doesn't have a literal grave stone on it and pays tribute to what they did in life.

Oh we're back to it being insulting again folks, yawn

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

i'd love to understand your mindset when visiting an actual graveyard...then again maybe not.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Grave stones are memorials... Tends to be why they normally say "In loving memory of" or a similar phrase followed by name and date of birth and death.
It's how the common folk can leave a mark on the earth.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I feel like in that example flowers or visiting the grave are the symbols of reverence. Not the tombstone. Tombstones aren't really sacred or inherently respectful things. They generally just imply death. Which is why I don't like this. "Satoru Iwata. He's dead." That's all you really get from this.

Jesus H Christ.

I believe that in some if not all cultures believe that a grave/final resting place is a sacred and respectful thing to do to honor the dead.
People go to great length to properly get body back to give them a proper burial or cremated, then properly place the dead under a tombstone or shrine head to mark and honor their existence and life.
Since Iwata is a Japanese, he most likely would follow Shinto/Buddhism belief of death and final resting place.
His ashes and picture would be enshrined at a Temple/Shrine and also at his family house to be remembered.

I hope you are "woke" now or keep pretending to troll.

Oct 29, 2017
Again you're out of touch with reality. There are memorial tombstones all over the place. Some of them don't even have names on them let alone someone buried with them.

They, like this are placed there to show that someone thinks about and and remembers that person. That they respect that person. You erect a gravestone to honour a persons life.

Stop trying to make this into something it isn't. They were trying to honour someone they respect. It's insulting that you are putting so much effort into trying to twist it into something else. Twice as bad because you keep inventing a different reason every time you post

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Came in expecting some kind of Weekend at Bernies situation.

But nope, just his name on a gravestone.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
People really don't understand how it's insulting? Typically touching tributes to people you respect don't include showing their fucking graves. Do you think Iwata's family would be okay with this?
Sure they do, two examples below. I'd imagine Iwata's family being well-balanced inviduals, so yeah I assume they are okay with this. The pictures are from World of Warcraft and Guild Wars.
1924657257_7c1d5cc3a5_z.jpg

"Anthony Ray Stark 1961-2005"
Thyst_gravestone1.jpg

"Thyst, 1277-1327"

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
If anything, I find the people trying to twist this into something much bigger than it actually is to be way more disrespectful. It was obviously done as a mark of respect for the man: it might be a little strange given its set in the 90's, but surely that means the developers felt honouring Iwata was more important than an in game plot hole?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus H Christ.

I believe that in some if not all cultures believe that a grave/final resting place is a sacred and respectful thing to do to honor the dead.
People go to great length to properly get body back to give them a proper burial or cremated, then properly place the dead under a tombstone or shrine head.
Since Iwata is a Japanese, he most likely would follow Shinto/Buddhism belief.
His ashes and picture would be enshrined at a Temple/Shrine and also at his family house.

I hope you are "woke" now or keep pretending to troll.
Do you think practitioners of this would be okay with this kind of depiction of his grave? I don't really know what you think you're trying to teach me. I don't actually literally think this is what Iwata's grave looks like. I know that it's how the developers of this game created his fictional grave to look like. That's what the issue is. I must misunderstand your point or you misunderstood mine because it has nothing to do with what I've been saying.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I find the people trying to twist this into something much bigger than it actually is to be way more disrespectful. It was obviously done as a mark of respect for the man: it might be a little strange given its set in the 90's, but surely that means the developers felt honouring Iwata was more important than an in game plot hole?

Yes, and the "even if they patch this out the damage is already done. " is just ridiculous and immature.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

I agree.

These people are disrespecting my religion tbh by saying tombstone and shrine head aren't respectful or honorable.
Fuck you.

We have a small shrine and headstone of my Mom in our house so that we can pray and honor her.

Is it ignorant or just dumb people?
I doubt it is ignorant since we live in a global world, and we can use internet to learn about other culture and religion.

Do you think practitioners of this would be okay with this kind of depiction of his grave? I don't really know what you think you're trying to teach me. I don't actually literally think this is what Iwata's grave looks like. I know that it's how the developers of this game created his fictional grave to look like. That's what the issue is. I must misunderstand your point or you misunderstood mine because it has nothing to do with what I've been saying.

This shit right here is more insulting than whatever OP and this guy are trying to do.

I didn't expect him to be this "ignorant".

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I agree.

These people are disrespecting my religion tbh by saying tombstone and shrine head aren't respectful or honorable.
Fuck you.

We have a small shrine and headstone of my Mom in our house so that we can pray and honor her.

I doubt it is ignorant since we live in a global world, and we can use internet to learn about other culture and religion.
No one in this thread have said tombstones or shrines aren't respectful or honorable.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Sure they do, two examples below. I'd imagine Iwata's family being well-balanced inviduals, so yeah I assume they are okay with this. The pictures are from World of Warcraft and Guild Wars.
Aren't those examples done with the permission of their friends or family?
Also, if Iwata's family didn't want this type of tribute in the game would you call them unbalanced individuals?

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017

Wait you think the developers are trying to say this is what his grave looks like?

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Imagine being offended at the devs who thought it might be a fun touch to make mention to a great programmer in Iwata because they put his name at a gravesite in their game.

He's dead. His name is on a grave. You don't need to be a neurosurgeon to figure out why they would have done this.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Also, if Iwata's family didn't want this type of tribute in the game would you call them unbalanced individuals?
No I wouldn't call them out on it, that would be disrespectful to them. I would think to myself that they are acting odd. But I would call out random people in the internet who aren't Iwata's family. Especially if they are trying to use Iwata's family who haven't commented on this issue at all, to push their own narrative. It's insulting and disrespectful. If Iwatas family feels they want the tribute removed, that's fair. They knew Iwata best and also might know how he would have about something like this. Not sure why OP thinks they have a say that it should be removed.

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

Fuck you.

This shit right here is more insulting than whatever OP and this guy are trying to do.

I didn't expect him to be this "ignorant".
My apologies if I came across as insulting to you or anyone else. You have your way of respecting or honoring people who have passed away and I wish to respect that.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think it's in poor taste, intention aside. Like, it's just a grave. It's not a touching tribute, it's just "here's a famous dead guy in the ground." That's not how you do an homage.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Oddish1, Oddish1, Oddish1....you truly live up to your nick....

you fight the good fight, brother!

That being said, you & OP's viewpoint is truly........let's just say..............misguided.

Also, we truly are now living in an age where everything under the sun is scrutinized on whether they were insulting or not.

Apparently, the pharmaceutical ran out of Chill pills since the 2010s.

Next, i predict somewhat will be offended by the pixel mesh being applied to old sega saturn games (instead of true alpha transparency ) because the pixel mesh forms a grid that resembles someone's childhood experience and that needs to be call out. You heard it here first, folks.

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't try and invoke someone's family. You don't speak for them. That really is disrespectful
moving the goalposts are we? now we're talking about permissions to honor people.
you keep using Iwatas friends and family as a shield to your argument

stop
No I wouldn't call them out on it, that would be disrespectful to them. I would think to myself that they are acting odd. But I would call out random people in the internet who aren't Iwata's family. Especially if they are trying to use Iwata's family who hasn't commented on this issue at all, to push their own narrative. It's insulting and disrespectful.
If it was like a tribute in the credits then I can understand not reaching out to people who might have known him to ask permission.

But, like, if you're going to show a grave with freshly dug dirt around it and a name on it, then yeah maybe ask permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.