SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This seems like going overboard for a game where you never even see your character except probably in mirrors. But then I feel that way about FPS game character customization in general.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A hydraulic cock would be great. But ill be honest and Ill just make a big assed woman wholl ill call mommy.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Do I get a visible bulge if I give my character a magnum dong?

That would legitimately be a feature to tout, since the way games with layered and changeable equipment usually work precludes (easily) doing this sort of thing. They'd probably have some interesting tech behind it if they found a practical implementation that wasn't too performance-intensive.

Oct 25, 2017
That would legitimately be a feature to tout, since the way games with layered and changeable equipment usually work precludes (easily) doing this sort of thing. They'd probably have some interesting tech behind it if they found a practical implementation that wasn't too performance-intensive.
I'd imagine it would be hard coded instead of reacting to the exact size of the dong in real time.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like going overboard for a game where you never even see your character except probably in mirrors. But then I feel that way about FPS game character customization in general.
Cyberpunk 2077 is ostensibly an RPG, and I'll be approaching my playthroughs as such. With that in mind, the ability to customize my character thoroughly, and in line with my own personal headcanon and roleplay, is important to me. Irrespective of how often I'm going to end up seeing my character in 3rd person or otherwise (which, given the details we've heard and seen, will be more often than some people realize).

I tend to play Bethesda's open-world RPGs in first person the whole way through. With the exception of Fallout 4, that means I basically only ever see my character's outer appearance while browsing ingame menus. That doesn't render my ability to customize my character pointless, though, because knowing what I look like, and how that might relate to my character, does make a difference and inform my thoughts and occasionally my actions. (Funny enough, I have an example of that - during my last Fallout: New Vegas playthrough, I played as a straight-up cowboy. Capable of growth or change, but initially stereotypical, sometimes to a fault. I had some fun planning that character, and I decided it'd be funny to give him a bad haircut with a receding hairline, to help justify his penchant for wearing big, goofy hats, and for preferring them over other available headwear.) I'd much rather have customization options, than be resigned to playing an open-ended RPG with a preordained character, whose thoughts, decisions, and capabilities I can choose to determine - but whose actual appearance is set in stone.

It might sound strange, but options such as those described in the OP of this thread are also something I could come to appreciate from a roleplaying perspective - in a game that basically looks to be about the commodification of every aspect of the human experience, sexuality included.

Last edited:

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
UDXLG_.gif

Two penises!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh one titty and a boneless cock with extra balls

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Need to get this on PC for a 3rd person mod. All of this customization and you can only see it in a mirror. Cool

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on if they render the body, this is a brave new world we're stepping into so I'd say there is a good possibility that you might see more than your feet when you look down, depending on how you set the size slider of course.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Clothing in RDR2 change size dynamically with Arthur's weight. I don't think they need some new tech. It's doable.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Clothing in RDR2 change size dynamically with Arthur's weight. I don't think they need some new tech. It's doable.

Reacting to a character's general outline isn't difficult because you're just moving the exterior bounding vertices and (presumably) have the clothing weight-painted to scale with them. This sort of thing, conversely, is enough of a different ballpark that in most games the "male" and "female" bodies are just completely different, and there are completely different "versions" of each article of clothing for each, even if they're visually almost identical, as dynamically slapping on new underlying anatomy that requires a completely different "bone" structure (in animation rigging terms) is considerable less simplistic.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I quite believe that the customization in this case will be as in-depth as some people are assuming. 😂

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Reacting to a character's general outline isn't difficult because you're just moving the exterior bounding vertices and (presumably) have the clothing weight-painted to scale with them. This sort of thing, conversely, is enough of a different ballpark that in most games the "male" and "female" bodies are just completely different, and there are completely different "versions" of each article of clothing for each, even if they're visually almost identical, as dynamically slapping on new underlying anatomy that requires a completely different "bone" structure (in animation rigging terms) is considerable less simplistic.

Sure, but how is just a bigger bulge any different? They'd do the same thing but on that specific spot.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Customized genitalia, but I bet the black hair options will be limited to fro, cornrows, or bald.

Here, here!

Though this thread throws out of the window the idea that making a 5'7 character named Frederick Lamont would be controversial.

I mean.... That's exactly why it's a problem isn't it?
That's kind of the point of the cyberpunk genre--how the body can be commodified, and autonomy is a moving target.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'm very intrigued how Twitch is going to handle this game.

Front paging some big names streaming it.

Them banning this game would mean huge loss of ad revenue and possible new users to platform. Even if they have to bend rules they will allow CP77.

Even then game doesn't inherently break any Twitch rules as anatomically correct nudity is allowed on platform. Game just can't be sex game, basically.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
There seems to be a lot of customization (which is great) - but not sure what good it is when the game is 1st person and without 3rd person cutscenes. I mean, the way I see it, the only customization you'll actually be able to see is your hands.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a lot of customization (which is great) - but not sure what good it is when the game is 1st person and without 3rd person cutscenes. I mean, the way I see it, the only customization you'll actually be able to see is your hands.
How about if they let you have cockhands?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is 3rd person cutscenes at times, plus reflections and you see you character in the menu too.

dodo021

Oct 27, 2017
Front paging some big names streaming it.

Them banning this game would mean huge loss of ad revenue and possible new users to platform. Even if they have to bend rules they will allow CP77.

Even then game doesn't inherently break any Twitch rules as anatomically correct nudity is allowed on platform. Game just can't be sex game, basically.

Other games was banned for less then that but yeah... double standard is a typical Twitch thing.
Maybe the game will have a "steamer" mode who disable explicit content.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From this thread, I think its safe to say in real life nobody should use any clothes or dress appropriately since well, we are all in first person.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
You'll probably be able to make what the developers think a trans V would be.

People really shouldn't be looking for trans representation in this game, going by the marketing at its very best it's going to fetishize trans people.

I mean, look at how everyone in this thread is treating this as a gross sex thing.
What are you refering to? The fetishization came from ad in the game, not ad for the game. That is big difference.
As art director said, this ad represented sexualization done by corporation as they do now for cis women.
Maybe it will be bad game in this regard, maybe not.
If Wolfenstain had nazis in the game, does that mean marketing for the game advertises fascism?

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What are you refering to? The fetishization came from ad in the game, not ad for the game. That is big difference.
As art director said, this ad represented sexualization done by corporation as they do now for cis women.
Maybe it will be bad game in this regard, maybe not.
If Wolfenstain had nazis in the game, does that mean marketing for the game advertises fascism?
You are free to read the discussions this community has had on the subject. The general gist is that the only representation we have so far of transfolks is that ad, which dehumanizes trans women. People keep touting this game as mature take on a dystopian future with transhumanism and yet all they've shown are decade old stereotypes and juvenile jokes.

When the game is released we will be able to make informed criticism, but so far they seem unable to advance the narrative on a dystopian capitalist society and make any sort of interesting social commentary besides "people bad".

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are free to read the discussions this community has had on the subject. The general gist is that the only representation we have so far of transfolks is that ad, which dehumanizes trans women. People keep touting this game as mature take on a dystopian future with transhumanism and yet all they've shown are decade old stereotypes and juvenile jokes.

When the game is released we will be able to make informed criticism, but so far they seem unable to advance the narrative on a dystopian capitalist society and make any sort of interesting social commentary besides "people bad".
Pretty much this, said ad was also used to advertise the game at E3. For something that's supposedly meant to show how horrible corporations would be for sexualizing trans people, CDPR sure still used that ad in exactly that way themselves.

And speaking of what the art director said: yeah she said that it's meant to show how horrible it is that corporations oversexualize people to sell products. In that same breath she also referred to trans people as "people/bodies in between":
www.polygon.com

CD Projekt Red explains controversial Cyberpunk in-game ad featuring trans model

What a hypersexualized in-fiction ad reveals about the highly anticipated RPG
At worst, she's saying that she doesn't see trans people as men or women, but as something other, while also defining them by their genitals. And even at best: she saying that nonbinary people are "people in between", which isn't right either and still makes it sounds like she didn't do her research.

And considering she was talking about the controversial design on that poster, I'm going to assume the worst there.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of the point of the cyberpunk genre--how the body can be commodified, and autonomy is a moving target.
That's not what I was commenting on, the fact that many people were making light (jokes, etc) of the subject of "a person with a dick and boobs" is kind of the problem.

Trans individuals end up the butt of a lot of jokes and fetishization, and eventually dehumanization. It would be wonderful if this game made proper use of it's setting to explore those subjects, but the great is it'll be surface level and instead the internet will just be flooded with grotesque images and even more grotesque takes on real life trans people.

That's all I was saying.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019

Art director's interview does not boil down to "people bad."

Considering the design she's talking about, that sure sounds like she considers someone with a dick and breasts as a "body in between". Which'd mean that she doesn't see trans people as men or women, but as something other, while also defining them by their genitals. And even at best: she thinks nonbinary people are "people in between", which isn't right either and still makes it sounds like she didn't do her research.
She did not said that. Stop putting words in someone's mouth. She said :

"I think that sexy bodies are sexy. Full disclosure: I love female bodies. I love male bodies. I love bodies in between. This is who I am. However, I hate it when it's used commercially. And that's exactly what we want to show by doing this exactly, by showing how big corporations use people's bodies against them."

Can you tell difference between male body and cis male person? Because twisting her quote you are impying that body type = gender

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She did not said that.
She literally did, in that article that both you and I linked.
"They try to, and successfully, influence people's lives. They shove products down their throats. They create those very aggressive advertisements that use, and abuse, a lot of people's needs and instincts. So, hypersexualization is apparent everywhere, and in our ads there are many examples of hypersexualized women, hypersexualized men, and hypersexualized people in between."
"I think that sexy bodies are sexy. Full disclosure: I love female bodies. I love male bodies. I love bodies in between. This is who I am. However, I hate it when it's used commercially. And that's exactly what we want to show by doing this exactly, by showing how big corporations use people's bodies against them."

I find it hard not to assume the worst here. Especially considering the context of the design she's talking about.

And even if she had the best intentions: that doesn't really matter because regardless CDPR did exactly the same thing she says she's criticizing companies for.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
They said they are throwing out 3rd person cutscenes from the game because of "immersion".

No, they didn't.

They even clarified misunderstanding about that by stating that there will be cutscenes in which you see V from 3rd person view.

twitter.com

Marcin Momot on Twitter

“2/2 That said, players will still be able to see their characters in the inventory screen, during driving sequences, in mirrors and, very occasionally, in some of the cut-scenes.”