FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
I found that the game is best paced up to the start of Kislev and surprisingly, most of disc 2. There wouldn't be as high a clear rate if the game was 120 hours instead of 70. Disc 2 being more story focused really helped the game IMO.
I agree. Loved the second disc presentation.

just when I was feeling the burnout, it pulled me back in

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I think disc 2 is great as well, it's almost like a boss rush mode plus you get all the insane story answers you've been confused about all game.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears capped off one of my favorite runs ever in gaming. Zelda 64, Half Life, Metal Gear Solid and then finished off with Xenogears.

I was recovering from a torn ACL so I was stuck on the couch for about 3 weeks and I played the game non stop and it was a great experience for me as well. If you are playing it the first time make sure not to neglect your mechs before the final battle! You need all of them to be pretty powered up to get through that slogfest.

I have no desire to revisit it though. I barely have time to play games released now. I am 3 months into DQ11 and I am close to finishing the second act (brilliant game btw for those who have not played it, I usually play it for 30 minutes before I sleep and its a masterclass in pacing so far).

Oct 30, 2017
It could use a new translation. It definitely needs options to speed text up. A full on remaster would be great, but it would take really weird circumstances for that one.

RPG factory should remake/remaster old games like Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger... No full remakes like FF7 just updated textures and controls.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler developers do the job of Tokyo RPG Factory better than Tokyo RPG Factory do

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Just rolled credits again.

Pondering if I should emulate Xenosaga 1-3 first before I play Xenoblade DE, the only Takahashi game I haven't played yet.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Just rolled credits again.

Pondering if I should emulate Xenosaga 1-3 first before I play Xenoblade DE, the only Takahashi game I haven't played yet.
Xenosaga 1 is a bit of a slog and 2 even more so due to the shitty load times and battle system. But if you can get through em 3 is as great as ever despite it yet again falling to the fate Xenogears did.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
All it really needs is a fresh translation and some high resolution sprites.

It's a game that really stays with you. I still listen to the soundtrack sometimes. The other day I saw an AI upscale of the intro cinematic, which was great.

This. I still can't forgive the original translation for fucking up Karellen's name. It's so integral to his motivations and what he's really shooting for.

Krelian... smh

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna recover my US psn account (game never available in eu) so i can play it on my Vita oled. 55" tv doesn't do this game any good :p

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Even if I didn't fully understand the plot, I'll never forget that game. It was so ambitious and had so many memorable and crazy moments.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Your reaction really makes me feel like you never actually compared PAL to NTSC PS1 games. PAL PS1 games pretty much sucked 99% of the time. The 1% that didn't suck were usually PAL only titles. They ran slower, the aspect ratio was fucked, sound was fucked due to running slower, etc.

There was literally no reason to play PAL games on PS1.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so upset I can't get into this game. I *love* Xenosaga and Xenoblade Chronicles, but I can't get Xenogears to click with me.

Started playing this when the pandemic started bc it was one of my JRPG white whales and it's just been boring me to tears. I think I put about 10 hours into it before I gave up. I've been watching a Let's Play on Youtube that just covers story but it's still rough.

I can't pinpoint it, exactly. Maybe the translation hasn't aged well. The game just feels slow in all aspects. Gameplay, moving around, battle system, plot. Everything sort of takes forever.

I really need to give it another try.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I;m playing this right now, but I find it a bit hard to get through. Game had terrific pacing, and suddenly I had to do Gear battles against others in a tournament and had to go into the sewers, because..? Story came to such a ridiculous hard halt...

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Xenogears has been my favorite non-FF JRPG since I finished it in 98. I'll love it forever. A masterpiece.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Your reaction really makes me feel like you never actually compared PAL to NTSC PS1 games. PAL PS1 games pretty much sucked 99% of the time. The 1% that didn't suck were usually PAL only titles. They ran slower, the aspect ratio was fucked, sound was fucked due to running slower, etc.

There was literally no reason to play PAL games on PS1.

Except that I lived in PAL land and had no choice most of the time.

Regardless, I don't see why this is relevant. Xenogears didn't skip EU due to PAL.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Except that I lived in PAL land and had no choice most of the time.

Regardless, I don't see why this is relevant. Xenogears didn't skip EU due to PAL.

I live in PAL land, and I had a choice pretty much since launch. There are more modchipped PS1 consoles out there than there are ones without a chip and import games were easy to get a hold of.

And you asked why 50 HZ would have hurt Xenogears, we told you.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah one of my favorite games of all time, I remember finding a sealed copy of this in Gamestop 15 years ago.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Honestly trying to think of a more atmospheric track than this in any game I've played

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Dec 23, 2017
As usual, I love seeing more Xenogears threads.

If you want a new experience, definitely check out the Xenogears world in VRChat if have the time.

You don't need a VR headset to play VRChat, just a capable PC to run it.

www.resetera.com

I explore the world of Xenogears in VR! (VRChat - Image Heavy)

In all of its PS1 glory. Never thought I'd see the day where I can enter the world of a legendary classic! A classic that I have played through maybe 3 or 4 times over the years. The world is still a WIP, the creator has quite a lot of work to do but for what's there, it's really cool! I...
F3E9C6427A5127B4A7C76520132FF630A70EE21F

nice avatar, doc.

yeah this "8k" AI upscale looks dope

That's amazing, didn't know about this.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really that good? Just finished Suikoden 2, trying to choose which retro rpg to play next between this and Valkryie Profile 1

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Is it really that good? Just finished Suikoden 2, trying to choose which retro rpg to play next between this and Valkryie Profile 1

I mean, YMMV, but there's a reason lots of us can't get Xenogears off the brain almost 22 years later. it's not a perfect game, simply a wonderful one.

it's certainly more seminal to the genre than Valkyrie Profile 1. PS play Suikoden 1 also if you haven't. Lovely game

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I live in PAL land, and I had a choice pretty much since launch. There are more modchipped PS1 consoles out there than there are ones without a chip and import games were easy to get a hold of.

And you asked why 50 HZ would have hurt Xenogears, we told you.

No. I orginally complained that Xenogears didn't get an official EU release.

That's got little to do with 50Hz.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I feel like I'm in the minority of people that enjoyed Disc 2 for what it was. It would have been cool to have more control in disc 2, but there was just something more poignant and emotional about how the narrative was presented.

Xenogears is a very special game to me, and this thread makes me want to play it again.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm honestly fighting the urge hard right now to replay this. I was hoping on a PS4 release with trophies but I may just cave, this thread and the ost aren't helping.

giphy.gif

Playing it on Vita was a real treat after my last replay years ago emulating it on an HDTV. This is much closer to the original experience, for me (IIRC I played it on a 13 inch 4:3 TV in my bedroom originally).

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I think disc 2 is great as well, it's almost like a boss rush mode plus you get all the insane story answers you've been confused about all game.

I love this game. May even still consider it my all time favorite. Disk two was a great way to present the story with the limitations they had but I cannot say it was great. So much of what I loved about the gameworld was the exploration and progression and that all disappeared. Again, they did the best they could with what they had and I'm happy we got what we did instead of not getting it at all but even in my crazy love of the game/fandom I'm not going to claim that disk two wasn't a step back.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
As usual, I love seeing more Xenogears threads.

If you want a new experience, definitely check out the Xenogears world in VRChat if have the time.

You don't need a VR headset to play VRChat, just a capable PC to run it.

www.resetera.com

I explore the world of Xenogears in VR! (VRChat - Image Heavy)

In all of its PS1 glory. Never thought I'd see the day where I can enter the world of a legendary classic! A classic that I have played through maybe 3 or 4 times over the years. The world is still a WIP, the creator has quite a lot of work to do but for what's there, it's really cool! I...
F3E9C6427A5127B4A7C76520132FF630A70EE21F

That's amazing, didn't know about this.
I wish this world had the inside of Babel Tower. I didn't see it when I was on there a year ago, but I'd love to explore the area while listening to Omen.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I wish this world had the inside of Babel Tower. I didn't see it when I was on there a year ago, but I'd love to explore the area while listening to Omen.

I'm looking for this youtube I saw a while back that broke down parts of the intro that are visible in the main game/world field. Babel Tower has lots of stuff...so annoyed I can't find it to show you.

One of the things that I love about this game more and more in retrospect is how much the opening CGI gives away, and then how totally unrelated it seems to the plot for like, 60% of the game, until all the sudden it clicks together. Not gonna lie, it took me a while to put it all together originally as a 13 year old, but now I think it's even more brilliant.

Like, when you're in Babel Tower and you start to realize it's the same stuff you saw from the Eldrige at the beginning.....

KindlyPolishedBison-small.gif

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I love this game. May even still consider it my all time favorite. Disk two was a great way to present the story with the limitations they had but I cannot say it was great. So much of what I loved about the gameworld was the exploration and progression and that all disappeared. Again, they did the best they could with what they had and I'm happy we got what we did instead of not getting it at all but even in my crazy love of the game/fandom I'm not going to claim that disk two wasn't a step back.

I guess that depends on your point of view. I mean, there's no arguing Disc 2 is lighter gameplay wise...but it's certainly *tighter* in certain ways, gameplay wise. The walls of text are not for everyone and I'd be the first to admit Disc 2 is a product of running out of money...but I'd also be the first to say that it's an exemplary way of wrapping up an ambitious project without leaving insane cliffhangers that would never be resolved.

Imagine if Xenogears ended at Disc 1 with a cliffhanger. In no way would it be venerated as it is today.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
What a game. I first played when I was 14/15, now I'm 37.

I think during my first run, the story was difficult to comprehend being so young and trying to understand the region aspect of the story. I want to go through it again just to understand it all. One of my favorite bits though was the battle system. Nothing like it. Would love to see DBZ try to incorporate something like it.

Super happy I was able to do a song with Joanne Hogg recently, the singer of the end theme. Just had to do something with her. Glad it came together.

Three things that make a JRPG superb; story, battle system and the MUSIC!

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

youtu.be

Xenogears - Small Two Pieces (Lyrics)

Vocalist By : Joanne Hogg Music By : Mitsuda Yasunori

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'd like to play through it again. It'd be great if SE could do a very basic remaster and new translation, but that isn't gonna happen unfortunately.

At least Monolithsoft is moving back towards the Xenogears/Xenosaga Episode I "feel" with their games now though. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has the most comfy Xeno feel since the Saga games, so maybe we're getting closer to another Gears tier game again someday.

UW3Dfqj.gif