NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Anyone else replaying or playing through this for the first time?

Im on my 4th or 5th journey through, though my first in a decade or so, and nearly at the end. I basically purchased a vita this Spring just so I could replay this without emulating on a PC, and it looks so much better.

It never ceases to amaze me how much this game influenced me. I still think it's a seminal work of the medium. I now know a lot of it is tropey, that I didn't quite get as a young teen, but that being said, this game has stuck with me like no other. I'd do just about anything for a true continuation. I love Xenosaga and Xenoblade, but it's not quite the same.

One thing really notable to me this play through with good headphones is just how amazing and atmospheric the score is. I've been chilling on various screens for long times just to hear and listen closely to the score.

The lore of this game also uses science fiction in a way that blew my mind at the time and still gives me food for thought today. Then there's the endless trivia, for example earlier this year I discovered that the voice sample in the main boss music is the judge from Christian Brando's manslaughter trial

I think it's safe to say I'm obsessed with this game. Already planning my next video game tattoo around it.

Anyone else that just can't shake this game??

Oct 30, 2017
Snagged a copy off eBay a few weeks ago. It's pristine. Haven't played yet. Heard great things cannot wait.

b0nk

Apr 6, 2020
If there's one thing you can shake, it's the heavens.

16119.jpg

In all seriousness, one of my favorite JRPG's and an incredible philosophical narrative. By far one of the best stories in a video game. I find myself reflecting on it all the time. My only gripe is that it remains to be brought to a more modern and palatable medium (even a book would do, though obviously I'd prefer an impossible remake).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I am shook too OP
Xenogears is one of my top all time game experiences - all the flaws acknowledged and included.

The story is just great. I love the setting. Music is top 3 all time OSTs. Mechs are fun. It feels like a game made for me.

I started a replay last year on Vita but only got 15 hours in. I really need to get back to it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS ⚡

Of all the ports SE does, Xenogears and Chrono Cross is an absolute must.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
If there's one thing you can shake, it's the heavens.

16119.jpg

In all seriousness, one of my favorite JRPG's and an incredible philosophical narrative. By far one of the best stories in a video game. I find myself reflecting on it all the time. My only gripe is that it remains to be brought to a more modern and palatable medium (even a book would do, though obviously I'd prefer an impossible remake).

I don't even want a remake (I'd play the hell out of one though!). All I've ever wanted is a real continuation of this timeline. Xeno saga was meh for me. Haven't finished XBC1. XBC2 threw me a real bone in the last few chapters at least.

It still boggles my mind that Square just let Takahashi take his talent and essentially the core of the IP

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I'd love to see this brought to modern consoles as is. Even with its shortcomings, it's one of the greatest JRPGs ever and one that I still think about all the time. The soundtrack alone.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I happen to think Xenogears is in a strange if not unique position among video game IP.

The Xeno name is bigger than ever but Square can't capitalize because the talent and "name" have gone to Monolith.At the very least a switch port of Xenogears would be great but man...imagine a collaboration to revive the GOAT and OG Xeno series...why can't Square and Nintendo work this out :(

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
This was the first rpg that had everything I was interested in at the time.

Martial Arts, Sci-Fi and Anime.

Wait... I'm still in to those things

Also enjoyed that they went against the popular fad of 3D characters on a 2D image and went 2D characters on a 3D field

The music tho.
[perfection.gif]

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The Xeno name is bigger than ever but Square can't capitalize because the talent and "name" have gone to Monolith.At the very least a switch port of Xenogears would be great but man...imagine a collaboration to revive the GOAT and OG Xeno series...why can't Square and Nintendo work this out :(

I'm glad they don't even try. The Xenoblade games are trash. I don't trust Monolithsoft or Takahaski with Xenogears. Xenogears was a once in a career fluke for him. It was the right group of people together at the right time.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It's very special to me, played it during my teens so similarly affected by how ambitious it was with it's story/themes. Deep as fuck to me back then lol.

I'm debating whether or not to replay it or start on Romancing Saga or Front Mission instead...

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It could use a new translation. It definitely needs options to speed text up. A full on remaster would be great, but it would take really weird circumstances for that one.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
It could use a new translation. It definitely needs options to speed text up. A full on remaster would be great, but it would take really weird circumstances for that one.

A new translation would be great. I know it was an extremely controversial and difficult game to translate but there's also basic typos etc that I've noticed way more this play through.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
All it really needs is a fresh translation and some high resolution sprites.

It's a game that really stays with you. I still listen to the soundtrack sometimes. The other day I saw an AI upscale of the intro cinematic, which was great.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
One of my all time favs. Still unhappy that there's no way for me to run my digital copy on PS4 ever since selling my Vita.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I imagine your love of Saga and Blade would be different yeah. Xenogears and Xenosaga are different games with similar overtones. That is very apparent to me now having played Gears. The two fanbases don't overlap much. Blade is also different. They're all connected though through elements and ideas.

I don't understand why they need to be compared. I guess it stems from disappointment that Takahashi didn't stick to the same style Gears had for Xenosaga. But honestly, if he had done so, Xenosaga would have just been a lesser Xenogears and not stand on its own two feet. Gears was a unique project, that assembled a team who would go on to make another unique and strange set of games afterward.

I don't say this to slight you OP or anyone. It's just that over many years I've seen people put these Xeno games against each other. After playing and loving Gears and being a longtime Saga fan, I still don't see why Saga is considered a mistake by Gears fans. I like that they are different from each other and I like them each in their own way.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand this games veneration. It's a mess. Boring, rote combat, awful characters, awful art direction, unfinished second half, obligatory awful sewer section, muppet crucifixion, anime tropes galore, ameteurish lifting of Jung and Nietzsche, bad platforming, terrible camera...

Is it mainly the kung fu robots? Somehow help me out.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing for the first time this year, got some ways into it but stopped for a while when I reached the part where Elly and Fei are on that boat separated from everybody. I was really enjoying it, I don't really know why I stopped where I did guess I got a bit burnt out on it. I plan to go back to it soon though.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I would take the simplest of remakes, just cleaning up the graphics and filling the 2nd disc, but the original is just a bit too rough for me to actually play. Loved the story though, there's almost nothing like it

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
XG and Evangelion made me the gloomiest fucking teenager. Gears is definitely the finest RPG I've ever played and I'm due for another playthrough.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'll never understand this games veneration. It's a mess. Boring, rote combat, awful characters, awful art direction, unfinished second half, obligatory awful sewer section, muppet crucifixion, anime tropes galore, ameteurish lifting of Jung and Nietzsche, bad platforming, terrible camera...

Did you play the game when it was originally released?

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Shittest post I've read in a while. You are more than entitled to your opinions but awful combat and characters? lol no just no, It's a sensational cast of characters, A game with Krelian, ID, Citan, Bart, Ramzus and many more are awful?.

The combat system is great although it's a bit basic now when you look at it but back in 2000 when I imported it, I was very impressed with what I was playing and the gear battles were fantastic especially when the omnigears were obtained.

Platforming and the second half yeah i'll give you them but the rest of your complaints are ridiculous.

Was surprised it wasn't taken in all honesty lol

I just got to Babel Tower and...my Vita died.

Damn... that sucks.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I should really play this game again.

If only to unlock the 3d mech fighting minigame :p

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm glad they don't even try. The Xenoblade games are trash. I don't trust Monolithsoft or Takahaski with Xenogears. Xenogears was a once in a career fluke for him. It was the right group of people together at the right time.

Wow. Um, remind me not to invite you both to my next Xeno party.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I imagine your love of Saga and Blade would be different yeah. Xenogears and Xenosaga are different games with similar overtones. That is very apparent to me now having played Gears. The two fanbases don't overlap much. Blade is also different. They're all connected though through elements and ideas.

I don't understand why they need to be compared. I guess it stems from disappointment that Takahashi didn't stick to the same style Gears had for Xenosaga. But honestly, if he had done so, Xenosaga would have just been a lesser Xenogears and not stand on its own two feet. Gears was a unique project, that assembled a team who would go on to make another unique and strange set of games afterward.

I don't say this to slight you OP or anyone. It's just that over many years I've seen people put these Xeno games against each other. After playing and loving Gears and being a longtime Saga fan, I still don't see why Saga is considered a mistake by Gears fans. I like that they are different from each other and I like them each in their own way.

I've never understood it from day one either. I've just chalked it up to a superfan syndrome where they get mad that the company produced something else that's similar but they don't get more of what they liked so they just reject the new thing. It feels very Paper Mario fan-ish to me even.

I've played Gears probably 7 times or so over the years? I always notice something new and it's really great. I do think Saga would have ended up as good as Gears had Namco not interfered with Soraya Saga and reduced budget on them multiple times. But that said, Gears just hits me in all the best ways. It slots right into my top 5 for the PS1.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Easily one of the best JRPGs of all time. Only problem I have when replaying is there's sooooo much text, and there's no way to speed thru it lol. The battle system is so dam fun tho!

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
+1 to all the remake wishes in here

still one of my favorites of the genre, vastly superior to any xeno games since. been meaning to replay this one with the + or whatever retranslation was done years back? still, there's parts i recall being brutal, kinda wanna game shark my way through those

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Just curious, particularly for people who have replayed it several times - have you ever navigated the final dungeon knowing very clearly where you are, and what else needs to be done without referring to walkthrough in just that session?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

It's the kind of thing that makes an impression on you if you see it at a certain age- it seems like a more complex and mature work than it actually is.
I won't go so far as to call it a "bad" game but uh... you go back to this after reading some legitimately insightful science fiction (Hyperion, A Canticle for Leibowitz, Anathem, The Culture Series, The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, This is How You Lose The Time War, 11.22.63 ) and it quickly becomes apparent how thin it is.

Just curious, particularly for people who have replayed it several times - have you ever navigated the final dungeon knowing very clearly where you are, and what else needs to be done without referring to walkthrough in just that session?

finished it on release in the 90s with no walkthrough. The game is simple enough as I recall. I don't remember if I finished it more than once, though.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't really have access to a guide on my first/second playthrough so on those yeah. First time through I don't think I did everything but I did so on my second. On my other playthroughs I did have access to a guide so I used the hell out of it.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
It is one of the very few games that I have decided to stop myself from replaying again. I've done no less than 10 play throughs of it over the years and with my backlog I can't justify spending another 80 hours on a game that I've beaten so many times already.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Did you play the game when it was originally released?
Nope, played it on my vita, so probably ~5 years ago.

Shittest post I've read in a while. You are more than entitled to your opinions but awful combat and characters? lol no just no, It's a sensational cast of characters, A game with Krelian, ID, Citan, Bart, Ramzus and many more are awful?.

The combat system is great although it's a bit basic now when you look at it but back in 2000 when I imported it, I was very impressed with what I was playing and the gear battles were fantastic especially when the omnigears were obtained.
Well the combat system didn't strike me as interesting at all when I played it. Basically just focusing on using your most powerful combos as quickly as possible with very little strategy.

It's the kind of thing that makes an impression on you if you see it at a certain age- it seems like a more complex and mature work than it actually is.
I won't go so far as to call it a "bad" game but uh... you go back to this after reading some legitimately insightful science fiction (Hyperion, A Canticle for Leibowitz, Anathem, The Culture Series, The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, This is How You Lose The Time War, 11.22.63 ) and it quickly becomes apparent how thin it is.
Yeah that makes sense, and I can relate somewhat. Usually when I go back to something I revered as a kid and it doesn't hold up though, I don't continue insisting it's good... Gundam Wing for example.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC

Eh, I don't mean to be negative, but I think this is a bit of a facile reading of the story. YES, there are obviously tropes and themes that are recycled from other works. I've read plenty of sci-fi and I think that the combination of religion and science here is genuinely fascinating - get past the borrowing of Western Religious names to seem controversial or cutting edge, and the plot itself simply presented something that had never been seen before in this medium, let alone others. I'm not claiming Xenogears invented Panspermia, but it certainly had a unique interpretation and story centered around the concept.

Basically I dont think Xenogears is a perfect game but I think the sum of its parts, flaws warts and all, makes it one of the most memorable games ever. I'm convinced I'll still be thinking and playing about this game til the day I die. It's already been almost 22 years and its still on my brain.

OP
OP
NattyBo

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Nope, played it on my vita, so probably ~5 years ago.

Well the combat system didn't strike me as interesting at all when I played it. Basically just focusing on using your most powerful combos as quickly as possible with very little strategy.

Yeah that makes sense, and I can relate somewhat. Usually when I go back to something I revered as a kid and it doesn't hold up though, I don't continue insisting it's good... Gundam Wing for example.

The reason I asked is because the combat system was genuinely innovative and awesome when it came out in 1998. I think it's aged well compared to contemporary ATB games. I love the deathblow system and the difference between gear and party combat. At the time, it was....well, the only game in town that played this way, and it was fucking awesome.

I think looking at in in the context it came out is very important. The combat was fucking thrilling - switching from cockpit view in certain boss battles. Being able to call your gears in for random mob battles if you wanted.

I'll give you that the platforming has always been shit, though! One of those warts I mentioned :)