• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that is the case, nothing is yikes about that. PS5 will be probably priced more consumer friendly. 12 TFLOPs are just MS decision to go full native 4K, PS5 will still have enough power for amazing looking games.
The thing is.. we will have to see how Sony plays this reveal. If they dont talk specs and just show games at the start, then theres a gulf in specs. But no legitimate rumor has ever said that, Jason even saying specs are close.
Now Sony got what they wanted.. some hard numbers from MS. RDNA2, 12Tflops etc.. interesting to see in what way PS5 is announced and what they tell us.
Btw, does MS say how much ram Series X has? Or what type? Did I miss that in the text somewhere?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Why no mention of the clock speed or the number of core ?
I don't have followed the XSX news but they mention officially the console have a 8 core CPU somewhere ?
Well it is a Zen 2 APU and they go up to 8 cores. Could be less but I don't think they'll go backwards from Jaguar and break BC.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Very interesting! So no more depending on a developer to make a patch? More like PC then.

Also RDNA2 is a surprise, was expecting RDNA1 with a couple of enhancements.
Wait, improved BC with no developer action?

This is bigger than anything else, for me. I'm still bitter they didn't improve the resolution of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey on the X.
I think this might be reading too much into it. I really doubt they can just boost game's resolution without any work involved, or without any potential issues. I think he's referring to games with Dynamic Res being maxed out and games running in X Enhanced profiles by default. I'd love to be wrong tho.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I think $500 would be the bare minimum for this, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if ends up being $550 or $600.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it wont be. 12 Tflops sounds incredible, but this is AMD so you are looking at 2060 performance.

*Edit: More like a 2070 actually.
umm what?

the 5700xt is 9.6 tflops and is on par with the 2070.

12 tflops will be on par with the 2080. with this being a rdna 2.0 card which should be better than the rdna 1.0 5700xt, we are likely looking at 2080 super.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Probably just referring to dynamic resolutions, any game that runs at dynamic res on XB1/X will almost assuredly top out at the res ceiling on XSX, so instead of dynamic res games with a 4K cap hovering at 1800p or something on XB1X, it will hold 4K. Framerate will probably hold the cap as well. Basically just a hands-off "boost mode" for games that dont get patches
I thought of that but I dunno for me the writing implies a bit more.

I hope they talk about it soon. It's my single most hyped feature they could deliver.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is.. we will have to see how Sony plays this reveal. If they dont talk specs and just show games at the start, then theres a gulf in specs. But no legitimate rumor has ever said that, Jason even saying specs are close.
Now Sony got what they wanted.. some hard numbers from MS. RDNA2, 12Tflops etc.. interesting to see in what way PS5 is announced and what they tell us.
Btw, does MS say how much ram Series X has? Or what type? Did I miss that in the text somewhere?
Depends on the definition of close. Would within 20% be considered close? Closer than any disparity we have ever seen pretty much, but it would be 10 vs 12 tflops.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Yeah there's no way they get that thing down to $500 unless they're willing to take a significant loss. Especially since they're probably hitting all the same supply constraints around the SSDs and memory that Sony is, too. Maybe they think Gamepass is a reliable enough subsidy now that they can take a $100+ loss and be caught up on it within a year or two? Or maybe they think they can get away with $600 so long as Lockhart is around to capture more price-sensitive buyers? No idea, but they've definitely gone all out.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Phil has made it clear that they won't make the same mistakes as last gen (ie. higher price, later release date, less powerful hardware). They have the cash on hand. I personally believe they'll take the hit on the hardware. They will wait for Sony to announce their price and then match it, even if they end up taking a $100 hit per console.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this thread really just ignoring the fact that the AMD Vega 64 is capable of 12.6 tflops , whereas a 1080Ti is only 11.5 tflops and blows the VEGA away? Or is everyone just blindly buying into marketing speak?

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Do it, SONYY!
createcard.png
This made me laugh out loud!

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
499 or 599? What do you think? We need a thread with a poll. Hell this could even be even more... doubt it but still.
$499. I think MS is going to be willing to eat some losses to have good sales numbers and keep hype going. They need a win.
What I'm more curious about is PS5 pricing and power to see how it compares.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels MS is really confident on this machine. Full specs + final design already to show.

Quite the contrast with Sony.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, checks out as a MS Era thread alright. Glad that we can get real confirmation that this thing is gonna blow us away. Still gonna assume were looking at $499.99, since MS is wanting to bleed our wallets off of services instead of HW.

Oct 27, 2017
This claim is stretching the worst case scenario (which a lot seem to be doing here)

Matt's statement was made in Nov. of 2019 about XGS output not having XSX exclusives for one OR two years..and everyone now assumes two years..I don't get that.

We will likely get exclusives by Fall 2021 at the latest.
I certainly hope you're right

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
So PlayStation 5 is nowhere near these specs right? Yikes

Who knows? Also why is that yikes lol. Anyway one telling thing to me is that Phil said this was the most powerful Xbox ever not the most powerful console which to me means they either don't know PS5 specs or the PS5 is more powerful (Which some people have said it is, if true or not, who knows)

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought of that but I dunno for me the writing implies a bit more.

I hope they talk about it soon. It's my single most hyped feature they could deliver.

If they figured out a way to 4x the pixel counts in every XB1 game, they would say that loudly and repeated nonstop during the reveal, not here

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The ball is most definitely in Sony's court ATM and I can virtually hear them furiously positioning in response to all this. Coupled with their ongoing silence and purported cost struggles, they are seemingly not having it as easy as last time around. I can't wait for both reveals.

Aug 26, 2018
If Lockhart wasn't supposedly still floating around, I could definitely see that. I just don't think MS is going to be releasing 3 different SKUs at launch. (At least not immediately)

I mean Xbox 360 already had 2 SKUs..no reason why they wont give this option even with Lockhart.

This way, they can atleast save 20-30$ per console.

Even at 599$, they would be taking a 100$ hit..dont see how they price at 499$ keeping all bells and whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.